Skip to content

Bacon vs. Chocolate

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
Which is more therapeutic, i.e. un-stresses you/gets your endorphines flowing?
  1. Bacon vs. Chocolate122 votes
    1. Bacon
      29.51%
    2. Chocolate
      50.82%
    3. Other (explain)
      19.67%
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2012
    Chocolate 70%++, When I see dark chocolate I'm like a little kid... just love it!

p.s
    I don't eat Bacon..

Post edited by mch202 on
    lolienSmilingSword
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    My name is Lemernis and I'm a chocaholic. But I have to say, yesterday morning my wife and I cooked up a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs, smoked bacon, and Pillsabury Flaky Buttermilk Grands, and omg. That was a major endorphine buzz. It just wouldn't have been so awesome without the bacon.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    I actually really dislike both bacon and chocolate. I know I'm a strange mutation.
    Teflonlolien
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    no contest whilst I do enjoy a good bacon buttie (HP sauce very very important) chocolate is a food that cause's panic if that certain bar is not there or the last piece is about to be eaten and you've just started to get that 'warming yourselve up feeling to the demolition of the bar choccy' ..therefore chocolate ..with coffee...Mmmmmmm
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

Chocolate-covered bacon :P

Puhaha.. that's EXACTLY what I wanted to write!!!

edited December 2012
    Actually chocolate covering most anything salty is likely to be really, really good. As long as it's a really high quality milk chocolate.

I've had these before and they were orgasmic:

And we've been eating these that we picked up on a lark at TJ Maxx over the holiday and they're just wrong:

Kurumilolienbooinyoureyes
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Made my own chocolate covered bacon once. It is fantastic. Mostly because of my love for bacon, so chocolate only made it better. Also it is currently the only feasible way to eat bacon for dessert ;)
    lolien
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    I cannot understand the fascination people and the media have with bacon. I don't think it's 'that' good. Hell, at breakfast, I always choose sausage over bacon. I rarely even eat it, and it seems to be better as a compliment to foods, rather than own its own. As for chocolate - also, what's the huge deal? Vanilla is better. This also is a compliment food. Chocolate cake? meh. Yellow cake with chocolate icing? Awesome.

There are two types of foods I prefer as 'comfort foods,' - peanut butter and cinnamon-based desserts. I can eat PB right out of the jar. It is better than bacon and chocolate both on its own and as a compliment to other foods. I really like peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches.

As for the second food, I love things with cinnamon in it, like stickybuns or snickerdoodles or french toast, and even cereal.
    Post edited by H0RSE on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Pigs , like all animals, shouldn't be murdered for human pleasure - but I do love dark chocolate! (which doesn't have milk as an ingredient)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Chocolate. I try not to eat swine. Filthy meat.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Water, particularly in summer. Cooled water after a soccer match or training... priceless.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Chocolate all the way! :3
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Peanut butter and cheese. :)
    elminster
    DJKajuru said:

Pigs , like all animals, shouldn't be murdered for human pleasure - but I do love dark chocolate! (which doesn't have milk as an ingredient)

Plants, which have been shown in tests to display feelings of pain, should also not be murdered for human pleasure....I guess we starve.

MedullaOblongata
    edited January 2013
    @HORSE , plants do not have a central nervous system/brain/heart , so it's most likely that they do not feel pain.

Animals, on the other hand, can feel the whole spectrum of pain, stress and fear.

edited January 2013
    DJKajuru said:

@HORSE , plants do not have a central nervous system/brain/heart , so it's most likely that they do not feel pain.

Animals, on the other hand, can feel the whole spectrum of pain, stress and fear.

And plants have been shown to be more sensitive to pain, around 4x more than humans/animals. You are looking at "pain" or how it is registered, too one dimensionally in your counter-argument as to why plants don't/couldn't feel it. Research has also been shown that plants do in fact possess a form of a nervous system.

http://ds9.botanik.uni-bonn.de/zellbio/AG-Baluska-Volkmann/plantneuro/neuroview.php
    DinsdalePiranha
    Yet it doesn't explain why people should kill animals. Or why we should support it.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2013
    @DJKajuru: don't be that guy (girl?). you know the one, the self-righteous vegetarian, with delusions of carrying the plight of those oh so poor animals on their shoulder, and a mission to educate all those vicious meat eating savages, while acting as high and mighty as possible. everyone hates those people. and I do mean *everyone*.
    SirK8Zanianstygga
    DJKajuru said:

Yet it doesn't explain why people should kill animals. Or why we should support it.

That's neither here nor there. The thing to realize is that Nature is the epitome of 'true neutral.' It is not bias in anyway. It creates and destroys without feeling or judgment, and when it comes to eating for survival, it doesn't care what you eat, your reasons for choosing to eat (or not eat) certain things, or if you live or die. Everything on this earth needs to eat something in order to survive, regardless if it feels pain or not.

The problem with many pro-animal people, is that they use emotion to fuel their arguments. It's not so much the the pain that animals feel, it's the reactions to the pain - it's the blood and the organs, and the screaming and crying, that is what bothers them. If an animals reaction to being killed was as benign as a plants, I'm sure things would be a little different.

DinsdalePiranhaSirK8MedullaOblongataTJ_Hooker
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Chocolate. I try not to eat swine. Filthy meat.

Don't worry. The mud only goes on the outside...

Unless you like pork scratchings...

Mmmm... Pork scratchings...
    lolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    DJKajuru said:

Check your teeth. You have canines. There the pointy ones that are used to hold onto and shred meat. These came from our ancestors that ate meat. Chimpanzees our closest living ancestors hunt smaller monkeys and eat small chicks from nests for example, however they too like us are in fact omnivores i.e. they are capable of eating plants and other animals.

You may not believe in evolution, but it's principles are being used in medicine, breeding programs for mite resistance bees and even robotic AI.

Meat is actually a requirement for a balanced and healthy diet. It has been suggested that western diets consume too much meat, but recent research has shown that perhaps the eastern peoples love meat even more! There is an Inuit people that lives on the east coast of russia that can survive only (and I mean only!) on a diet consisting 99% seal and whale. The Koreans are sometimes frowned upon for eating dogs. In both cases this is only due to the nearest source of meat. Many people of the world would probably frown on westerners eating cow or pig! (Sheep are generally fluffy and taste great with gravy... an evolutionary nightmare for lambkind)

At present massive swathes of Brazillian rainforest is being cut down to grow soya. An ingredient that is used in many vegetarian products. Due to this many animal and habitat protectors have turned away from vegetarianism and moved towards sourcing their food locally. That way they can support their communities, have a say on how there food is produced and leave a smaller carbon footprint. Even if they eat meat, more animals are protected!

Meat is a food source. Many more people would be hungry without it. We should support all people who work hard to provide food in our local communities.

I hope this explains, in part, why people should kill animals and why we should support it?
    SirK8DinsdalePiranhalolienJuliusBorisov
    Eating animals is all part of the great circle of life. Animals eat other animals. The ones that eat plants are eaten by other animals. It's called the food chain. We're somehow not supposed to be part of that? Luckily we're at the top of it.
    SirK8MedullaOblongata
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited January 2013
    I like white chocolate, and sometimes bacon too, but most of all I prefer good tea. Undecided fully yet between black and green, but the latter seems to be winning the contest over the course of years.
    DJKajuru said:

I think they still may be murdered for human sustenance. Well, until the time comes that we learn to grow meat in tanks.
    edited January 2013
    @Anduin , we've got the teeth of an ape, which eats plants. Human teeth can't thrust cow leather , neither can our nails (if we were carnivores, we 'd have claws). Have you ever hunted an animal with your bare hands? Neither can monkeys, which we apparently evolved from.

Have you ever seen a slaughterhouse from the inside? They won't show it because most people would get emotional, too.

As for meat being a necessary food source , you are incorrect . You need much more land , water and vegetables to turn a cow into a burger .

@DinsdalePiranha , my initial statement was "pigs shouldn't be murdered for human pleasure". I used the word 'pleasure' because the topic showed bacon as a form of food that relaxes people, which I see as unethical . It's not like I waved a banner or anything.

Skatan
    edited January 2013
    DJKajuru said:

@Anduin , we've got the teeth of an ape, which eats plants. Human teeth can't thrust cow leather , neither can our nails (if we were carnivores, we 'd have claws). Have you ever hunted an animal with your bare hands? Neither can monkeys, which we apparently evolved from.

The thing you are not accounting for is the advanced brain humans have - the ability to problem solve and make tools, etc. We also walk upright and have opposable thumbs. These are reasons why we don't have claws or other more 'animalistic' traits, because we were given other 'tools' to overcome the lack of them. We may not be able to do certain things better than than animals, like swim or vision at night or strength, but there are few animals who can do as many things we can do, as well as we can do them.
    Have you ever seen a slaughterhouse from the inside? They won't show it because most people would get emotional, too.
    I have seen the inside of a slaughterhouse, and your flaw in this observation is that many slaughterhouses do not practice humane actions. In the same regard, have you ever seen an animal in the wild hunt, kill and eat another animal? It can be equally as gruesome.

My question to you is this - if the butchering of animals was conducted in the most humane way possible, including everything from raising the animal and giving them an enjoyable to life, to the actual act of killing them, would you still have a problem with 'slaughtering' animals for food? Sounds to me you have more of a problem with way animals are slaughtered, rather than the fact we slaughter them.

On a last note, I have spoken with friends of mine that chose to live a Vegan lifestyle, and they tell me that they need to take vitamin supplements to make up for what they lack from not eating meat.

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    As far as I know, meat contains nutrients necessary for humans. Of course some of these nutrients can be found in other foodstuffs as well, but still... I'm certainly NOT a supporter of slaughterhouses, chicken batteries, and so on, but on the other hand, I don't think I could live without meat at all either. Besides, no matter how kindly you may treat an animal, your final goal is still to kill them and use their meat. I don't know. It's hard for me to give an opinion on this subject, so I'll pass on this one.