Skip to content

**Potential Spoilers** What would you like to see in Baldur's Gate III?

Slit518Slit518 Member Posts: 16
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I know it is a ways off, with the release of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition which just came out, and following that Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. But the team's goal, ultimately, or so speculation has stated, was to be able to eventually make Baldur's Gate III. So I ask you, as the community, what do you want most from Baldur's Gate III, please, no spoilers, or at least be cryptic when talking about something in past games.

An example of some things I want:

Classes: Duskblade, Warlock, Witch

Races: Goliath (2nd edition equivalent), sub-races similar to Icewind Dale II

All the portraits and voices from Baldur's Gate I & II carried over as well as some additional ones.

Similar style of game using the infinity engine, please don't change it! 2nd edition rules still, please as well!

If the maps are large enough, the ability to ride mounts for faster travel.

More micromanaging in certain ways, but in a way that is optional. Like buying horses or carriages or even a place to stay and store your loot. Possibility of being able to set up shop and actually sell wares from your adventures, getting offers from NPCs on what they would pay for a certain piece, you can accept to decline the offer. The ability to eventually become ruler or a land (optional) and expand on the territory, we get to see visual results based on decisions, such as added buildings, NPCs, merchants, etc...

The game could use an ultimate boss battle, possibly an optional boss that is really hard, such as the Tarrasque! Which someone mentioned in a previous thread.

More NPC's from the myth and lore of The Forgotten Realms. So perhaps more true to character Drizzt and party, Elminster, Forgotten Realms classic characters, etc... Just fun easter eggs to run into when you see your favorite character from a story.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I would like to see something like the eye of the beholder or original diablo with a somewhat linier progression through hordes of enemies, and strategic battles in close quarters simuler to what you guys did with the pits. With drow and dwarven hubs along the way maybe a false ending that expands the game into a open world(A real test for hardcore runs). I have not finished bg2 so really I don't know where the story leaves off. We have cemented our hero's names in history. We have faught for gold and glory now is the time to truly test ourselfs.
  • SagothSagoth Member Posts: 17
    I would like to continue to develop my character from bg1-2, things just got interesting.

Baldur's Gate 3 should be a game with 2 paths, i won't say much about 2 paths cause you said no spoilers :)

So infinity engine, deep and interesting storytelling, FREEDOM like in BG1, 2nd edition rules, atleast 2 new classes and races(subraces would be cool too), new weapons (2h axes anyone?), story to switch from forgotten realms to planes, something to build and improve (stronghold, army, etc.), FREEDOM AND DEEP STORY again.

BG:ToB isn't the end of the story, it's quite the opposite!!!

Damn, I'm even willing to write that story, all the twists and turns, beginnings and ends...
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I would love to see BG: 3 still feature the Bhaalspawn. Maybe you could import the character from BG2, and it's sort of implied you're the Bhaalspawn manifesting in Faerun once more (you get any stat buffs throughout the series and you get Bhaalspawn powers, but you are level 1 again)?

That way it can either be played with a new character with no ties to the original, or the Bhaalspawn-it's not like anyone will recognise you if it's the latter. As for ascension, simply explain the restart as the Bhaalspawn either being cast down and losing divinity.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure I even want to see a BG 3 at all. The story is finished, and I don't think Beamdog can pull off another epic like that (playing a character that is effectively a god - takes very good writers to pull this off). Also, if it will be based on D&D fourth edition, I will definitely not buy it.

Features I would want to see though, theoretically

-) multiple big cities
    -) trade system (caravans and stuff where you can import/export goods)
    -) expansive stronghold (maybe in your divine realm)
    -) since you're a god you would do most of the travelling/exploring in the game through a proxy (maybe one of your old companions)
    -) events/changes in environment with passing game time
    -) and of course D&D 3.5 rules
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited December 2012
    A few of the pc games and some cartoon movies were based off of a husband and wife table top play. I have the movie but was unable to find it, maybe someone can help me out. I would also imagine that all of the games started on the table top. I don't think writers would not be an issue just a bunch of people doing what they love. The only problem could see is the disconnect between games today and hard games, everything is so watered down apart from demons/dark souls. If they ended up making a cupcake game my thief would cry himself to sleep at night.

EDIT: I would not think creativity would be an issue among D&D players is what I meant, but your point is well-taken, and the reason I posted that I had not finished the game. My comments are but a reflection of my fondest moments of gaming, and the hope that I may re-visit them with the same vigor I once had.

EDIT 2: It was dragon lance, but I was mistaken they were not husband and wife just friends.
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2012
    It will be very tricky to continue the saga in a way that the story remains "realistic" and "natural". Since this is no spoiler discussion, I will omit the spoiler part. I would like to see things like:

The same main character with the option to be exported from BG2
    Plenty of areas and maps - forests, dungeons, cities, planes, more places at all
    Old content from BG1 and BG2 - NPCs, places, items...
    Lots of new quests with various options of completing them.
    Content from IWD1 and IWD2 - areas, sub-races, spells
    New spells and items
    Improvements for classes - For example, making more unique spells for druids only, that are not available for clerics... In other words, making classes more unique
    Infinity engine or some enhanced version of Infinity engine that will remove some of the limitations and still keep its beauty and epicness. If that's not achievable, then a new engine that will not ruin the game experience
    More dialogs and more dialog options. Once acquaintance of mine asked me "Have you ever read Baldur's Gate" and he meant the game, not the book. But still, I want more dialogs.
    More weather effects - snow, hail, rain... BG1 and BG2 have all of this except hail, but there are no snowy areas.
    Day and night and feeling of time. I love how there are quests in BG1 and BG2 that can only be completed at night. Keep that up.
    Similar "look and feel" even if the engine is changed.
    More item types - scythes, whips...
    Similar sound motives and music. How could they make the perfect(BG1, BG2 sounds) more perfect? That I don't know.
    Enhanced Spells - spells like "Divination" and "Wish" to have more options.
    Different possible endings - like in BG2
    you can't expect not to get spoilers in a "what would you like to see in the sequel" thread. people who haven't finished the 2 games have no business in this thead, not having full knowledge what actually already IS in BG 1 & 2. basic logic ;-)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've altered the name of the thread to warn newcomers about possible spoilers. Spoil away. ;)
  • Slit518Slit518 Member Posts: 16
    LMTR14 said:

you can't expect not to get spoilers in a "what would you like to see in the sequel" thread. people who haven't finished the 2 games have no business in this thead, not having full knowledge what actually already IS in BG 1 & 2. basic logic ;-)

I've never actually finished Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. People could still say what features they would like added without saying what happens in the story. I didn't ask for people to tell how they want the story or plot to go, even though a few people mentioned multiple possible endings or different paths you can take, which is fine, because that gives nothing away.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Slit518 said:

LMTR14 said:

I've never actually finished Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. People could still say what features they would like added without saying what happens in the story. I didn't ask for people to tell how they want the story or plot to go, even though a few people mentioned multiple possible endings or different paths you can take, which is fine, because that gives nothing away.
    But new features are heavily reliant on the direction of the story flow. Imagine, for a minute, that we're talking about Star Wars in 1981. You've seen Episode 4 and the first half hour of episode 5, and ask people what they want to see in episode 6. Sure, people can make simple requests like cool force moves or intense lightsaber fights, but the core of the issue is going to deal with crucial plot elements like Han being frozen in carbonite, Luke missing his hand, and Vader being Luke's father. It's impossible to discuss the sequel without addressing major plot developments, because the technical aspects of the sequel are reliant on the story's direction.

So, I'm going to blatantly refer to the climax of ToB in my suggestion for new features in a BG3. You've been warned.

Since ToB ends with the option of ascension into godhood, I'd be interested in pursuing a God of War-type BG3. There's a massive pantheon of gods of varying power in Forgotton Realms, and each is potentially an ally or an enemy. An evil PC, ascended or not, could ally with his fellow evil gods to take out the good gods, or betray the evil deities and gain their powers. A good PC, ascended or not, could wipe out the evil or neutral gods that interfere with their own views. A neutral PC... I dunno, I rarely play neutral. Ideas welcome.

Any way you write it, I'd enjoy a non-linear jaunt through the upper and lower planes, with epic-level battles against steadily more and more powerful gods. Allowing demigods or even lower-level deities to become party members would be extremely interesting, too. Freedom to form and break alliances and draw up battlelines amongst the most powerful beings in existence would be a uniquely excellent gaming experience.

Of course, I have no background in PnP, and thus no particular loyalty to Forgotton Realms canon. It may be that Beamdog's contractual limitations, or the outrage of DnD fans at the non-canon deaths of gods, would bar this from ever becoming a reality. But hey, a guy can dream, right?

Oh, I like this spoiler option where you can opt to hide it and we can choose to show it to ourselves or not. That's a great idea, alright, well, carry-on all with your spoilers, just remember to hide them ;)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    BG3, if ever made, is 99% certain to not be made in 2nd edition. WotC are known to want games to use and showcase the mechanics of their current edition, which for BG3 would probably be DnD Next. Likewise, they also prefer them to take place during the current timeline. I remember that one or two Overhaul devs has confirmed that this is most likely how things will play out.

To go back to the topic at hand, I believe the Bhaalspawn Saga has been told to the end. There's no need or reason to force a continuation of it, especially since it would have to take place on a ridiculous power level (as if ToB wasn't bad enough in that aspect) or go through a similarly shitty level retcon. I want neither.

No, what I want a completely new, low-level campaign taking place back on the Sword Coast around Baldur's Gate. Preferably north of it, where we haven't been, though visiting familiar places would be fun as well. If I were to write the plot, though, I'd set it more or less along the two or three rivers that runs out into the ocean in the area - including the one the Gate lies on. Gives the map a natural... Whatever the word is. Reach-to-boundary evolution.
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    4e did a lot of good for the realms. An adventure surrounding the Spellplague feels like a natural takeoff for a sequel series. Culling this quote about Spellplague from the gitp forums: It just reeks of storyline potential to me

In short, the Spellplague was a chain of devastating crises that still affects Faerun more than a century later. People with spellscars are one of the less dangerous manifestations of its power, but most people fear and loathe the spellscarred, believing them to be just as insane as many magic users were during the Spellplague itself, or that the raw power inside the character that the spellscar represents will go nova, so to speak, unleashing dangerous power beyond the character's ability to control. Elminster himself gained a spellscar, and because of it he has decided to never use magic ever again, worrying that the spellscar will flare up and he'll go insane.

Post edited by Kushu on
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited January 2013
    I think the best thing Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment did, that really separated themselves from other AD&D role-playing adventures (but also including NWN2, to an extent), was how they made you feel like you were important to the land of Faerun or the Planes.

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 were great games, but the two games' stories, I felt, were unsuccessful in surpassing the natural AD&D: Go out, kill this and you're an adventurer. People like defining features! We obsess over it! In fact, I read an old forum post: The Nameless One vs. BG Main Character. Those two characters are defined as being powerful, and that's what makes up those two character's essence: power.

But I don't want to revisit as the main character of BGII, but I do want something different. Ask yourself why Skyrim appealed to a wider audience in contrast to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? As the series' creator, Todd Howard, often remarked was based on Utima and AD&D (although more loosely, concerning the latter). In Oblivion you were the champion, in Skyrim you *are* the power.

Maybe there is a possibility for a prequel, but in a series like Baldur's Gate, I think it could work. However, that's not to say it would be as good as Baldur's Gate II because I think it wouldn't. In the long run, I think that's the problem I have with the idea of a prequel. In a prequel can you really expand? Just how powerful would your character be? There's the possibility of being, Gorion, but remember that he was a mage... that also *(SMALL SPOILER)* was defeated by a (level 10), Sarevok. *(SMALL SPOILER)*

Finally, in essence Baldur's Gate to me was about the deities of AD&D. Deities play a big roll in the lore to begin with, but it was the defining features given to The Nameless One and Abdel which TRULY defined these games. All I want, all I care about, I don't want to be a simple nobody walking around saving the world of Faerun... anyone can do that and everyone does in AD&D.

EDIT: Also, I agree with @scriver - I want a new campaign setting with a low level character, but one whom eventually builds to *eventually* become BEAST, though.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    -) Minsc is back !
    -) Boo is back !
    -) Viconia is back !
    -) Edwin is back !
    -) Sarevok is back !
    -) Continuation romance from BG2
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I would like an option where you can put off the reputation for your party members.
    So you still get attacked by wizards and guards if you have reputation 1 but Viconia and Edwin don't go away when you have reputation 20 and good members dont go away at 1 but they wont be happy and they still gonna talk that they'll leave but they won't .

I really like Viconia and Edwin but I'm not bad and I just can't act like that so I never have them till the end of the game ( yeah I know you can kill a NPC then but it doesn't feel right )
    I would put it where the autopause menu is
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    * Low level (level 1) through high level play
    * Not directly tied to CHARNAME but same areas/setting
    * References to CHARNAME'S exploits back in the day and other references to the series
    * Same pause type play for strategic fights and isometric view - I do not want a FPS type interface. You can make things pretty and 3D but don't force me to jump around and play like I'm in a FPS to excel at combat. D&D is about decision making and your character's capabilities not how fast you can mash buttons and real life reflexes. This is one thing I really really like about the current BG games and I despise FPS.
    * Most likely D&D Next rule set, but since that rule set is supposed to be modular and have old school feel, options should be used to keep the experience and simplicity similar to BG saga.
    * Ability to own land/fortress/stronghold/house/whatever
    * Strong plot, but with multiple choices/paths to progress along in the story
    * Better reputation type system/consequences for good/evil decisions
    * Possibly alignment shifting based on decisions (as in NWN) but I'm not married to that idea
    * Different dialogue choices based on ability scores and alignment
    * Same great vision and creativity we saw in the saga, I liked to play because playing was fun, and getting levels and gear was icing vs. some games where levels and gear are all the game is about.

I'm sure I have more, but that's all I have for now.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    I would like BG3 to have a new protagonist. Starts at level 1. I just don't think the game is going to be very fun starting with a level 20 hero, and fighting complex dragons/demons/mage battles all the time.

Ideally a new hero starts at level 1. Game plays through to level 15 or so. Xpac gets you up to ToB levels. I know that's a big gaming experience obviously.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I would like BG3 try to implement the 5th Edition rules as close as possible to PnP.
    Would it make sense if you were perhaps the off-spring of the main character from Baldur's Gate I & II, and though not divine, still for some reason must answer for your parent's actions through not only the eyes of the public but perhaps some demi-gods, demons and gods as well?
  • AurelliusAurellius Member Posts: 3
    i know this is a 'wish list' but you have to be kidding if you think overhaul are going to use anything but the infinity engine and its 2.5 Rules, just sayn's all
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Aurellius -
    It's not up to Overhaul to decide what edition to use.
  • NolrogNolrog Member Posts: 16
    Personally, I'd like to see them use the 2nd edition rules, and not update to the 3rd. I hate the 3rd edition rules; that's one of the reasons I couldn't get into IWD II.

The game should be non-linear, like BG and BGII are now (IWD was much more linear, and while still a good game, it's not my preference.)

Would like to see some new locations but revisit old ones as well; a continuation of the current story if possible.

Early to get boots of speed to make traveling a little faster.

More portraits, voices, races and classes. Tons of side quests (BG II did this better than BG.). Upgraded graphics and spell effects.

I hope this is able to come about. I rediscovered my love of BG with the EE and I'm having a blast.

I would like BG3 try to implement the 5th Edition rules as close as possible to PnP.

they can't be worse than 4th (which is the p&p equivalent to Plan 9 from outer space), but still there will never be a better ruleset than 3.5.

the person above hating the 3rd edition rules should do some research or get another hobby. please DO tell me why you prefer the corset of 2nd over the utter freedom of 3rd... without ridiculing yourself
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @lmtr14 ALL the rulesets have something going for them (yes even 4th edition)

The 2nd edition was like a corset. You had to make your decisions at the start and then just play and be damned. Play was the byword. You had to do with what you had. Team play was important.

The 3rd edition got rid of the corset, but at the same time as giving freedom, it allowed everything to flop about, as it were. Time was wasted planning a character. It was also not realistic. Hell, is it common for powerful lvl 39 wizards to suddenly dabble in thievery for the skill dump? It was in the 3rd ed.

2nd was awesome. They still haven't bettered it or they would have stopped making further editions...

I believe BG3 will be the 5th ed. Due to publishing legals... Some conspiracy to stop you using older, better editions.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    LMTR14 said:

they can't be worse than 4th (which is the p&p equivalent to Plan 9 from outer space), but still there will never be a better ruleset than 3.5.

the person above hating the 3rd edition rules should do some research or get another hobby. please DO tell me why you prefer the corset of 2nd over the utter freedom of 3rd... without ridiculing yourself
    Beamdog will not have the option to use anything but the current rule set, which will likely be 5th Edition by the time we can do a BG3.

I like many things about 3.5, however there are many things I prefer in 2nd Edition. 2nd Edition treated classes much more uniquely, which I appreciate, than 3rd did.

I think a good combination would be the 3rd Edition combat/feats/skills system but the 2nd Edition race/class/experience systems & restrictions.
    Anduin said:

@lmtr14 ALL the rulesets have something going for them (yes even 4th edition)

The 2nd edition was like a corset. You had to make your decisions at the start and then just play and be damned. Play was the byword. You had to do with what you had. Team play was important.

The 3rd edition got rid of the corset, but at the same time as giving freedom, it allowed everything to flop about, as it were. Time was wasted planning a character. It was also not realistic. Hell, is it common for powerful lvl 39 wizards to suddenly dabble in thievery for the skill dump? It was in the 3rd ed.

2nd was awesome. They still haven't bettered it or they would have stopped making further editions...

I believe BG3 will be the 5th ed. Due to publishing legals... Some conspiracy to stop you using older, better editions.

in the games you better plan your character. neverwinter nights 1 and icewind dale 2 give you the option to triple-class. in nwn 2 you can pick 4.

in the p&p there is no justification not to be able to pick as many classes as you want, if you can justify it in your campaign. elminster himself has 5 or 6 different classes because that is how his life went, learning different things at different times. 3rd edition liberated d&d, there's no way around it
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    2nd makes more sense for BG series frankly. The SoA strongholds are a solid example of this. Character bios, and NPCs as well. Further having a set class just makes more intuitive sense. It helped make the world and its characters more believable.

The fact that you were limited to certain stat points, a certain class, and limited skill points and spells is what gave the BG games their replay value. In 3rd edition you can make the optimal character, in 2nd there is always going to be limitations.

Multiple playthroughs are appealing because there is only so much of the game you can do on one playthrough. The well developed NPCs contributed to this. But they would be less interesting NPCs if we could just multiclass them like crazy.

One last point -- too much freedom in a video game can be a bad thing. Too many options make choosing the correct one incredibly difficult. For example you may only level up 7-8 times in a playthrough of BG1 or even SoA. Those decision points are difficult, and much of the fun of the accomplishment is robbed when a player has to agonize (or even do tedious internet research) to decipher if they should add a 2nd or 3rd class.

I'm not here to argue what edition of rules are better for DnD. But I think the game designers should consider that Neverwinter Nights series, Icewind Dale, and other 3rd+ edition CRPGs never enjoyed the success of the BG series or even the old gold box series. Maybe there's a reason for that.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited January 2013
    Well, most people end ToB on lvl 32 - 40
    If they set new level cap to 100 and add some new stuff is possible continue with CHARNAME.

Or

someone can " drain CHARNAME live force " ( or something like that ) and he fall down on something between lvl 1-20 ( and they steal nearly all ours items ). Then we must acquire ours old powers back and take ours revenge.
  • famousringofamousringo Member Posts: 28
    Whatever ruleset gets used, I agree that the Bhallspawn's story is pretty much done. Time for a new level 1 protagonist.

Still, a new game should be rife with references and contact points with the earlier games. There should be clashes with the Gods and special appearances of familiar faces as questgivers, shopkeepers, or cameos. I want to be manipulated by Harper agent Jaheira and to help Mazzy rescue the halfling village she settled down in.

In fact, I think the Bhallspawn's in an excellent position to be the ultimate antagonist of Baldur's Gate 3.