Skip to content

The new stat total

brynbryn Member Posts: 36
Well done on the new update, lots of fixes, but I don't agree with adding a stat point total for when rolling characters. I know that most people roll until they get good or even mega stats but adding a total just makes it too easy and takes the accomplishment out of sitting there for an extended period to get a good roll (this sounds sad but at least you feel like you have in a way earned those high stats)

Am I alone in thinking this or do people agree?
  1. The new stat total271 votes
    1. I like the stat total
      93.73%
    2. I prefer it without
        6.27%

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I think you're not alone but there're many posts on the forum where people like to see stat total. There's even a program for it.

For me, this feature doesn't spoil rolling for good stats - at least, the chance of, "I've rerolled in a hurry but the previous result was so good I miss it" is decreased. You still must reroll till you get good results - if you want a high score.
    And for fighters you still have to wait till some high strength.

Also, there're many posts on the forum where people say they rerolled many hours but it was many years ago and now when they don't have much time (due to working) they don't spend it on rerolling. So, it helps a lot. And by the way, I'm one of these people))
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Meh, I used to just keep rerolling until there were no stats less than 12 and added up the 1's digits. This is a little faster, but not much.

And it doesn't make it any less painful when you click past that 93!
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Very happy with it! Makes rolling much easier... not that I didn't enjoy it before.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    I like it, after long hours of work, which is involving ridiculous amount of numbers, my brain stops working for a while :)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I like the stat total altho at first glance I'm curious as to whether the rolls were otherwise tweaked as well - considering how much faster I am able to roll when I don't have to do a running calculation of the total myself - it seems to be taking longer (more rolls) to get into higher numbers (85 +) than it did before but it may just be the class I am fooling with atm which doesn't have a lot of high minimums.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, even if you're not out to fully optimize your characters stats, it still helps in getting a roll that will get your characters main stats high enough and the others to a point where they will not give out any penalties...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I like it. I wouldn't be against it being a an option which could be toggled on or off in the config though.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    What's not to like?
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I absolutely like it.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I have to admit that I like it. I was at a point where I could calculate it all in my head, for sure. But having the total really helps OCD people like myself who roll for days on end....
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It is nice, simple, effective, allows ease of rolling, and generally makes starting new characters less of a chore. What's not to like!
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited January 2013
    I like it, as do 64/67 voters it seems :)

EDIT: As a solution for the 3 people that don't like - grab a post-it note and put it on your screen while you grind away rolling dem dice.
  • RhaegarRhaegar Member Posts: 25
    I like it but I just cheat and use an auto roller now. Don't go for crazy stats but at least get above 90.

I refuse to dump stats. I hate it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited January 2013
    It doesn't change anything for me. I'll still be happy with what I now know is apparently "84" and can't imagine I'll bother rolling longer than I used to in the past.

What anyone else does doesn't affect me in any way.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2013
    Rhaegar said:

Agree with this part. I typically don't take anything below 10 (e.g. Intelligence, Charisma) unless I make the decision to make that apart of the character. I had a Bard with a 3 Wisdom, and I played her very stupidly indeed ... pickpocketing just about everybody even though she kept getting caught, etc. But when people do dump stats like that and play it normal, that's just bad characterization. >_> I wonder how people even get remotely attached to their PCs when they act like that. Whenever I did, I would always obsess over NPCs (such as Xzar) and forget about my PC entirely.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Quartz said:

Rhaegar said:

Agree with this part. I typically don't take anything below 10 (e.g. Intelligence, Charisma) unless I make the decision to make that apart of the character.
    Agreed. 10 to me is a 'dump' stat. :D

And I love the tally. I don't go for super insane rolls, but it makes it really easy for me to find that nice mid-to-high 80s that lets me get the stats I want without doing the math in my head beforehand.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140

It doesn't change anything for me. I'll still be happy with what I now know is apparently "84" and can't imagine I'll bother rolling longer than I used to in the past.

What anyone else does doesn't affect me in any way.

80 to 84 is what I generally shoot for. I don't think I've ever made a character with 90+.

I think it all comes down to whether you want to roleplay or play hack+slash. Right now, the game accomodates both styles in satisfactory degrees (IMO, the roleplaying aspect isn't as great as modern RPGs).
  • DerDuKeDerDuKe Member Posts: 88
    I like it (except for '< missing string [#13857] >').
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Huh looks like I'm the first person to post who voted against.

The biggest reason for me is this: a lot of people have said that if you're just going to sit there and roll until you get mega stats, you might as well cheat and set your stats using ShadowKeeper, because the results are the same. My counter to this is that if you've spent the time rolling, you've actually done something to deserve your good stats (a reward for your patience, if you will) which makes it different than cheating (in my mind at least). Adding a stat total makes rolling significantly easier (the amount of time you have to spend determining if you got a good roll is much less, so you can roll much faster), so you've done less to 'earn' your stats, which erodes my argument that it isn't effectively cheating.

Just my two cents. I don't care about this too much, so no one has to worry about me complaining about it all over the forums, as is the norm whenever anything gets changed.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I tend to agree, TJ_Hooker, although the other side of this is that it makes it easy to tell people, "Hey, this character has an 87 total", which gives other players a sense of the general strength of a character or build.

Personally, I like it because every character I build has a specific set of scores that I won't go below; knowing the total allows me to get to that baseline much faster, which allows me to start the game sooner (which ultimately is a good thing).
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    It strikes me as a useful tool. I think there is a tendency to make too much of point totals, and I think it can diminish the fun of playing interesting, random, or mediocre characters. BUT, I always like more information, and I think the good outweighs the bad.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    If people are going to be rerolling for hours I suppose it can help a little to ease that.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Again I'm one of those people who thinks it should have been optional. Don't want it? Don't use it. But personally I would ALWAYS use it. I even downloaded a program for it before it was incorporated.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, because adding up numbers in your head really really fast over and over again makes rolling a high stat more of an "accomplishment" ...

Sometimes I roll till I get the stats I want, sometimes I roll 10 times and take the best I got, but even on the times where I don't roll very much and take the best roll I have to ask.

1) Of my X (1-infinity) why shouldn't I take the highest one?
    2) If I'm going to take the highest one, in my example of rolling 10 times and taking the best, why should I have to add the numbers up 10 times? I realize that only takes mere seconds, but why should I have to? How does that make it more of an accomplishment?

Edit:

Even if you are so hardcore you only roll once. Is it not nice to be able to at a glance say "Cool I rolled a 78" and know what you got instead of having to add up 6 numbers?
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I'm neither for or against. Rerolling is what made me ace math in elementary. ^^ My mind instantly adds the numbers together now, so for me it doesn't really make a difference.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    scriver said:

Dude, you basically described the whole game.

QFT
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    As a teacher I reject this loss of enjoyable mental computation on character creation! Our kids are gonna grow up not being able to count to 10! (Or 18!)

As a teacher with lots of marking. This is as useful as the answer book!