Skip to content

ETA?

Comments

• cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Is there any possible way for the OSX community to just get an email when the game is finally available for us? I'm getting tired of the daily, check app store = no, check twitter = windows people whining about updates, and check this forum = nothing new, routine!!!
  • RyanPKRyanPK Member Posts: 4
    @cloakanddagger - Yup. Sign up at www.baldursgate.com/osx.en.html. Of course, that doesn't stop me from coming back and checking the forums every day...
    ElessarScooter
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Signed up, but that doesn't really tell us how long we have to wait. I believe it gets published in 2 weeks. Maybe 25th.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Adam said:

FYI @all expedited review may be used just once per year per developer account. So if they've used that already, then they cannot do it again. Also expedited review should be used for critical app fixes, in this case it isn't a fix, but initial release, moreover it isn't critical :)

Clarification: it may be *used* or *applied for* once per year? Because if the stipulation is that it can only be *used* once per year, Beamdog hasn't done that because they weren't granted the expedited review when they applied last time.

Doesn't necessarily answer whether or not they are even eligible to use it, but even so.
    This shit better run smooth as butter for how long its taking. Seems like there is a new crash bug tweet every week.
    Latest Tweet: "So we found a crash bug which we're going to have to fix. We'll hold the new build until it is resolved and tested." - Trent Oster
  • SoulReaver49SoulReaver49 Member Posts: 1
    So Trent was asked about a potential release date on Android and OS X by someone on Twitter and he stated, "Cam's re-writing the resource handling system. I'm guessing under a week."
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    And now people will start to complain when/if it's not ready in a week.
    rexregSixheadeddog
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

So Trent was asked about a potential release date on Android and OS X by someone on Twitter and he stated, "Cam's re-writing the resource handling system. I'm guessing under a week."

I read that as it'll take him under a week to rewrite it. Didn't seem a response to a release date question.

In any case, Mac App Store review times are two weeks from the day of submission, and it hasn't been submitted yet. End of January if we're lucky.
    mlneveseEudaemonium
    mlnevese said:

And now people will start to complain when/if it's not ready in a week.

Ah, but if he hadn't answered the question, the complaint would then be: "ZOMGWTF HE ISNT GIVING US ANY INFORMATION!!! I M SO AGNRY!!!!111"

So, damned if Trent does, damned if Trent doesn't.
    mlneveseWolfensoloScootermjs
    I agree completely. Maybe he should have said the code could be ready in a week, but they'll need to throughly test it so that they're sure it doesn't break making it impossible to estimate a release date. This way they'd be releasing information and explaining why they can't give a release date now. New code always means more testing and they have no way to predict how long it'll take to test.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62

In any case, Mac App Store review times are two weeks from the day of submission, and it hasn't been submitted yet. End of January if we're lucky.

Two full weaks? Man, that's really long. Thought it was about one week. Damn.

Seems like i have to enhance my prediction to between 31st of Jan and 07th of Feb, then. Cam probably finds another Crash Bug... Wow. Sounds like ages. At least our version should run smooth from the get-go.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Two goodies for my Mac friends:

First, Nathan's post:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/234216/#Comment_234216

Second, a tweet from Trent Oster:
    "We're working hard on the Mac version and we're frustrated at the long approval times in the Mac app store. Might be time for another option"

Have faith!
    I hope that means they are considering writing a launcher to release it outside the store.
    mlnevese
    Me too. It would make updates as fast as the Windows version, instead of waiting for nearly 15 days for approval.
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    So this means the approval starts all over again now? Or they only found a crash?
    mlnevese said:

Me too. It would make updates as fast as the Windows version, instead of waiting for nearly 15 days for approval.

Well, not really, since they are syncing all subsequent updates.
    comatory said:

So this means the approval starts all over again now? Or they only found a crash?

It hasn't been submitted again. When it does, it'll have to go through the two-week approval period.
    So what's the latest? Trent's twitter feed recently said that "It will likely take 6 days for Apple to review and approve. (fingers crossed)" This is either talking about the Mac version, or the latest patch of the iPad version... but since the delay in the patch was intended so that it could be launched side-by-side with the Mac version, I'm assuming (hopefully) that this means we've been submitted.

Anybody know anything more specific?
    @sixheadeddog he was talking about the iPad version. They are still testing the Mac version, and it takes Apple around 14 days to review Mac apps.
    You will be hard pressed to find anyone willing to say anything more specific on release dates than Trent.

That being said, I get the impression that he is very careful about what he says on Twitter and doesn't just make throwaway statements.
    BG: EE is coming to Steam. Mac version not confirmed yet, but I've waited this long, so I'll wait and see. Screw the MAS.
    Sixheadeddog
  • w162w162 Member Posts: 2
    Steam would be the best solution for both PC and MAC distribution. I wish they will consider to release the game in PC + Mac, so player could buy it once and play on both platforms.
    Sixheadeddog
    Something to consider, from @ TrentOster:
    "We make less on a Steam sale than Steam does."

Let's keep in mind which options are most likely to bring us BG2:EE and beyond...
  • GwydionGwydion Member Posts: 3
    w162 said:

Steam would be the best solution for both PC and MAC distribution. I wish they will consider to release the game in PC + Mac, so player could buy it once and play on both platforms.

Steam is rather awful on the Mac. I pretty much treat it as glorified adware, so I'm quite content to wait for Apple to review the game and ensure the quality is there.
    Sixheadeddog
    edited January 2013
    I would really like if they developed a launcher for Mac as well so that it didn't have to go through Apple approval every time there's a patch...
    Sixheadeddog
    @Cerevant Mac App Store /iOS app store takes the same 30% cut. Atari might be making more on the Steam version, though.

@mineverse That's kind of irrelevant now since everyone will be waiting anyway to keep the multiplayer in sync. The only way to minimize patch waiting time would be to forget the MAS version altogether, but that's not going to happen due to contractual obligations.
  • muswellbrookmuswellbrook Member Posts: 12
    Trent tweeted in reply to @SydneyEditor "We're testing OSX today. If it passes, it gets submitted."

Maybe soon...!
    Oxford_Guy
  • willwillwillwill Member Posts: 23
    I just hate using Steam. It is so slow and bloated. If I can choose I buy games from App Store.

App Store has few benefits comparing to Steam. It is installed in probaply every mac can run this game. And most of the mac users have Apple ID but not Steam account.

Steam is made for regular pc player and regular mac user (including me) does not feel comfortable with it. App Store has pure "mac feel".
    Gwydion
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 13
    Have any noises been made about whether the Mac version is coming to Steam? Because if it is then surely it would be a Steamworks title -meaning users could buy the PC version, and when the Mac version is released download that.
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    People are bashing steam? Have you used it in the last ... 4 years? Sure it used to be bloated and buggy but trust me, even on OSX it's solid as a rock.

Now that that misinformation has been cleared up, how about this BG:EE for steam news? I was told early on that it would never happen. What changed? I don't even see an announcement, just the listing on steam.