Skip to content

The no reload challenge (spoiler warning)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Congrats to you! I'm really glad for the holy gnomes!

In my no-reload insane solo playthrough, though, I try not to force anything at all. I see it as a challenge. No fast level-up, no missed fights and locations.

I would try to give Tiax all possible potions to up his find traps skill to 120, put off any his armor and continue so that no corner of the Sword coast or it's dungeons remail unseen.

From my logic, using a no-reload this way is more appealing. I don't even want any party members except ORI because very often they are used as a shield and a help. For example, they can die many times and a cleric in the party can resurrect them. Or a fighter can tank through tough enemies.

For example, gaining level 5-6 through killing basilisks and sirens before even going hunting wolves and bears or even xwarts and hobgolins elite is not to my taste.

Moreover, I find it not right to rest a lot.

Yesterday it took ORI 1 realtime hour just to clear the first 2 levels of the Nashkel Mines. Just because I can't let any kobold, even without a bow, to hit ORI - what if it would be a crit?
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    @bengoshi: I understand what you're saying. I often do that in the first part of the game. For me BG works in 2 distinct parts:

1/ up to flooding Cloakwood where it is all about exploring, accumulating xp, getting immersed into the PC as a character and understanding who he really is. And taking a lot of risks.

and

2/ once you reach BG. Maybe it is different for other posters but for me from that moment, I tend to focus more on the main quest. I hate losing a character at that point. I will typically venture in the TotSC areas, but I am usually unkeen at that stage to go and explore other Sword Coast areas left out in the 1st part. With those Gnomes, I really got into the Brix character and I wanted to win the challenge. I was nervous before the Ducal Palace fight and the final battle as well, and that's what I like.

As for Durlag's, I really hesitated. First it had been ages I had been in the lower levels so my meta-gaming knowledge was rusty. Second, although I could have boosted him you are right, I was not confident about Tiax. I recruited him very late, he had average stats in thieving skills and a perma-death was on the cards. Also due to RP reasons. My PC was a Cleric with 20 WIS. It was just unwise to go back in there and push further, while Sarevok was about to be crowned Grand Duke.

Best of luck with ORI !
    Eleutheros
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks a lot!))

Your post had answers on many of the questions I'd asked myself.

In the end, it's a game and everyone has a right to play it like he prefers.
    SirK8Montresor_SP
    bengoshi said:

In the end, it's a game and everyone has a right to play it like he prefers.

for sure !
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    @ Ignatius - I too tend to see the game as the same two parts (Pre-cloakwood and Post Entering BG City) altho I originally started playing the game (and completed it at least once) prior to ToTSC being released and to this day I have issues deciding how/when to fit the ToTSC areas into my game plan or in some cases whether to fit them in at all.

I mostly play no-reload for the adrenaline rush of knowing that each battle can mean game over rather than any competitive desire to beat the game into submission at the hardest possible level and once a no-reload has ended in death I may choose to continue a party I am particularly fond of on under minimal reload rules (only reload on character death) -

Noting the frequency with which my no reload campaigns tend to end fairly early on I may need those minimal reload options to make sure I actually see Cloakwood at all LOL

Altho to be truthful it's all about the journey for me rather than the destination and I enjoy replaying the early game with new characters about as well as I like longer campaigns where I get to see BG City now and then too.
    edited January 2013
    @Wanderon: yeah agree with what you wrote - except, except, that when I have gone far enough in the game and really feel I have a character with personality and potential, then losing him is not at all like losing one of the very many that we create and lose in no-reloads pre-Cloakwood. In the last third of Brix's adventures, I just was not inclined to have him take foolish risks; I wanted to see this guy one day in BG2.

That being said, I might take my Gnomish Trio saved game before re-entering the maze on that last morning, and go try and finish Durlag's Tower. I might even have them try the werewolf island !
    SirK8
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Am tempted to play a solo hardcore run as a Jester, I have some ideas how this might work, at least pre-Baldur's Gate. Blade would probably be easier, though...

I'm actually quite serious about this, what alignment would people recommend? Neutral Evil would give me the best Familiar for a Jester (Dust Mephit), but Good might be easier otherwise (cheaper items, less reputation management, use of both of Drizzt's Scimitars, if going that route...), and some of the neutral familiars might be useful for their (albeit rather limited) thieving skills.
    @Oxford_Guy: if micro-managed well a solo Jester can work out well. You need to basically start a round with the song, then attack, then sing again just before the round is over so that you do not drop the confusion effect. It is critical that you have a) a weapon with quick reaction time and b) as many APR as possible. Therefore a good choice is a Jester throwing darts, I've been thinking of this for some time and would be happy to see you run it through.

I don't remember which familiars do what exactly and am too lazy to look right now, but invisibility sounds like it would be of some use for a bard...

Am tempted to play a solo hardcore run as a Jester, I have some ideas how this might work, at least pre-Baldur's Gate. Blade would probably be easier, though...

I'm actually quite serious about this, what alignment would people recommend? Neutral Evil would give me the best Familiar for a Jester (Dust Mephit), but Good might be easier otherwise (cheaper items, less reputation management, use of both of Drizzt's Scimitars, if going that route...), and some of the neutral familiars might be useful for their (albeit rather limited) thieving skills.
    Haven't really thought this thru but the first thing that comes to mind is how are you going to handle traps as a solo jester?

• ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    edited January 2013
    Wanderon said:

Haven't really thought this thru but the first thing that comes to mind is how are you going to handle traps as a solo jester?

Mirror Image, stoneskin, potions, shield spell, boots of various resistances
    Oxford_Guy
    edited January 2013
    Zutti said:

Wanderon said:

So then it's by essentially knowing where they are and what they do and buffing accordingly? That would never work for me with my memory LOL -

Is there really enough gear/potions etc in BG1 to cover all those bases and still fit in one characters backpack? Or do you set up a home base and switch out gear depending on where you are going next?

Can you even get stoneskin as a bard in BG1? In fact is stoneskin even in the game? (been a while since I had any higher level characters in BG1)

Ignatius said:

@Oxford_Guy: if micro-managed well a solo Jester can work out well. You need to basically start a round with the song, then attack, then sing again just before the round is over so that you do not drop the confusion effect. It is critical that you have a) a weapon with quick reaction time and b) as many APR as possible. Therefore a good choice is a Jester throwing darts, I've been thinking of this for some time and would be happy to see you run it through.

Also when possible I was thinking of staying invisible for as long as possible whilst the red circles attack each other, but there will come at point at which intervention will be necessary...
    Ignatius said:

I don't remember which familiars do what exactly and am too lazy to look right now, but invisibility sounds like it would be of some use for a bard...

Invisibility 10' radius can be cast by the Fairy Dragon, but that's Chaotic Good, which a Bard cannot be.

Wanderon said:

Obviously Durlags is probably out, unless I recruit a thief (e.g. Alora) just for that, some traps can be managed by rushing through with Haste and/or Mirror Image, though the latter isn't ideal for a hardcore run, as the trap can hit the real image. Other than that, buffing and immunity items, I guess, but traps will be tough, and I'm not that great at knowing where they all are...
    Wanderon said:

Zutti said:

Wanderon said:

So then it's by essentially knowing where they are and what they do and buffing accordingly? That would never work for me with my memory LOL -

Is there really enough gear/potions etc in BG1 to cover all those bases and still fit in one characters backpack? Or do you set up a home base and switch out gear depending on where you are going next?

Can you even get stoneskin as a bard in BG1? In fact is stoneskin even in the game? (been a while since I had any higher level characters in BG1)
    Some familiars can find (but not remove) traps, but you can't easily buff a familiar's thieving skills, so their usefulness is limited

Stoneskin is in the game, at least one scroll anyway, though the one I found was in Ahoy's Enclave, so would have to have Neera with me until she reveals this area (doesn't usually take that long, though).

In BGEE the scroll case, potion case and gem bag help a little with inventory management (and larger ammo stacks).

Another way out would be not to be strict about soloing, but to take a thief with me when really needed, though I'd prefer not to go that route except where absolutely necessary (e.g. Durlag's Tower)

Zutti said:

Wanderon said:

Indeed, though I'm not sure that Shield spell would help, or would it? Makes you immune to magic missile and gives you better AC, but is that relevant?

Invisibility 10' radius can be cast by the Fairy Dragon, but that's Chaotic Good, which a Bard cannot be.

That's right. So what familiar choices would be available?

Another way out would be not to be strict about soloing, but to take a thief with me when really needed, though I'd prefer not to go that route except where absolutely necessary (e.g. Durlag's Tower)

yep, I sometimes, allow myelf to do that in an (almost) solo-run.
    Ignatius said:

That's right. So what familiar choices would be available?
    Neutral Good - Pseudo Dragon

Lawful Neutral - Ferret

True Neutral - Rabbit

Chaotic Neutral - Cat

Neutral Evil - Dust Mephit

Wanderon said:

Zutti said:

Wanderon said:

BTW a Bard gets one 4th Level Spell (e.g. Stoneskin) at level 10 (level limit in BGEE), but not before then...

At level 10, Bard spells look like (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th): 3 3 2 1

@Oxford_Guy: Glitterdust -> Dust Mephit it is indeed. Great combo with jester's confusion; what a pair they would make !
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Ignatius, great run with the Gnomish trio, and I loved all the screenshots. Congratulations. I hate to see it end. I just love reading these things. It looks like we might be evolving a no-reload thread crowd on this site that is as good as the Bioware site crowd.

@Ignatius, great run with the Gnomish trio, and I loved all the screenshots. Congratulations. I hate to see it end. I just love reading these things. It looks like we might be evolving a no-reload thread crowd on this site that is as good as the Bioware site crowd.

Thanks. I have been an occasional reader of the Bioware no-reload crowd (you already mentioned you knew them), and an occasional contributor under the old forums a few years back. They know their game in and out.
    BelgarathMTH
    Brilini Brightbows Brigade bested a baleful bunch of bragging bandits with brilliance and a bit of brie today in Peldvale and the Bandit Camp.

Brilini mostly stealthed out ahead of the group and took out many of them on her own with a single shot or 3 and or led them back to the waiting arms of her buddies. We rescued Viccy and sent her packing and took out the Peldvale Bandits rather than join them.

The group snuck up the east side of the Bandit camp map and sniped them out from the woods on the side of Tazoks tent one or two at a time then cleared the tent itself without much trouble once the mage was silenced and the archer taken out with his own medicine (arrows of biting) and then Imoen rifled through the entire camp and picked up the spoils - I couldn't recall anything of note being in the gnoll cave so we ignored it.

Back at FAI now but no more game time until Sunday.

Everyone is level 5 except Imoen and Branwen (6) - will have to decide whether to go directly to Cloakwood or hit the ankeg map first - leaning towards ankeg hunting and might even take the opportunity for a shopping trip in Ulgoths Beard while we are up that way on the fishermans quest.
    IgnatiusBelgarathMTH
    edited January 2013
    It deserves to mention that there're only two Stoneskin scrolls in BG and one of them comes from Adoy's Enclave, so if you're soloing there's only one for you. And you can't have 100 percent chance to learn this spell. So, you must take into consideration that it's not sure whether you have it in your spell book or not.
    For example, I think about it with my own no-reload and I'm ready to live without this spell till the end of BG.

Moreover, my desire to play solo, insane, no-reload, without forcing any events, without missing any fights, locations and items is connected with choosing a thief type of NPC. But of course, there're always ways to decide any problem even if your char is not a thief.

By the way, not only a Dust Mephit can be considered but also a Cat who has 0 AC and 99% Stealth - a true scout for a solo run for a char who himself is not a thief.

Also, a Pseudo Dragon is very strong at the beginning of BG - when your char is weak and can be dead in a second.
    bengoshi said:

It deserves to mention that there're only two Stoneskin scrolls in BG and one of them comes from Adoy's Enclave, so if you're soloing there's only one for you. And you can't have 100 percent chance to learn this spell. So, you must take into consideration that it's not sure whether you have it in your spell book or not.
    For example, I think about it with my own no-reload and I'm ready to live without this spell till the end of BG.

Moreover, my desire to play solo, insane, no-reload, without forcing any events, without missing any fights, locations and items is connected with choosing a thief type of NPC. But of course, there're always ways to decide any problem even if your char is not a thief.

By the way, not only a Dust Mephit can be considered but also a Cat who has 0 AC and 99% Stealth - a true scout for a solo run for a char who himself is not a thief.

Also, a Pseudo Dragon is very strong at the beginning of BG - when your char is weak and can be dead in a second.

I've chickened-out on the Jester idea for now, and have just started a solo hardcore run as a Gnome Illusionist/Thief, which should be a little easier...
    @ Oxford_Guy - good choice - I did this in BG2 years ago and made it to the Underdark I think before dying - will no doubt be a little tougher in BG:EE depending on how slowly or quickly you level your character up - in BG2 you start out at high enough levels to be very effective right from the start.
    @Oxford_Guy
    YEAH!
    I'm sure it's a right decision!
    Another Gnome Illusionist/Thief on his way to glory!)))
    He's precisely a brother of ORI!
    Let them take the Sword Coast by storm))))
    I'm looking forward to hear about his progression!
    This no-reload challenge has been hijacked by Gnomes! Mrs Brightbow must feel a little lonely...
    edited January 2013
    bengoshi said:

@Oxford_Guy
    YEAH!
    I'm sure it's a right decision!
    Another Gnome Illusionist/Thief on his way to glory!)))
    He's precisely a brother of ORI!
    Let them take the Sword Coast by storm))))
    I'm looking forward to hear about his progression!

Nefti (my Gnome Illusionist/Thief) is a she!

Name: Nefti (no surname thought of yet, but I might add one using Shadowkeeper)

Alignment: Chaotic Good (got to love that Fairy Dragon familiar - Invisibility 10' Radius is great for an illusionist/thief, and Mirror Image helps to keep it alive)

Starting Spells: Find Familiar (can't wait until Nimbul drops the scroll, Invisibility is too useful!), Sleep (always useful at the start), Spook (have to pick one illusion spell, and this is a good one that scales, and there is only one scroll at High Hedge for this). NB: I knew I could get scrolls for Armour and Identify in Candlekeep so didn't take those as initial picks.

Starting Proficiencies:

Dagger * (mostly for Dagger of Venom later, but throwing daggers also nice with +2 damage from 18 strength and +1 melee dagger cheap and easy to obtain in Beregost)

Shortbow * (will pickup the +1 Shortbow from Beregost early on, and some nice +1 acid arrows from High Hedge... Always good to have a bow for choice of ammo and should have plenty of cash for decent arrows)

Not sure about proficiencies at level 4 and 8 yet, probable candidates are:

Clubs (there is a +2 Club in BGEE and an easy to obtain +1 Club, but they're a bit rubbish in BG2)
    Single Weapon Fighting Style (-1 AC, crit on 19-20)
    or
    Quarter Staves (for the Staff of Striking and other good staves later on in both BGEE and BG2)
    Two-handed Weapon Style (+2 damage, crit on 19-20, -2 speed)

Ideally I want a blunt weapon reasonably early on, as some enemies are fully or partially immune to piercing and blunt doesn't get penalties vs. plate mail

Scimitars is also an option, for Rashad's Talon or maybe pick-pocketing Drizzt's!

Stats (I gave myself a limit of the best of 20 rolls)

18 Str (want to have 19 Str at the end of BGEE to set me up for BG2EE, as will need all the THAC0 modifiers I can get, being a Thief)
    18 Dex (will be 19 once I get to BG city)
    15 Con* (will use the Con Tome to get to 16, possibly Buckley's Buckler before then)
    19 Int (I hate failing to learn spells, even at the start and don't want to have to rely on potions of genius )
    7 Wis (avoids the worst of the lore penalties, will try to get it to 10 with tomes by the end of BGEE)
    9 Cha (only -1 reaction, will get to 10 with the early to obtain tome, which gives no penalty)

* NB: I could've gone for 17 Con, which would have given me 18 Con with the tome, this would give me an extra +1 to my spell/wand saves and allow me to use the Claw of Kazgorath, but I don't want to use the Claw (would prefer the ring of wizardry + a choice of other rings) and didn't want to totally min/max the character and have ridiculously low Wis or Cha

Where I've got to: have just polished off Tarnesh at the FAI, with some help from my Fairy Dragon - I got my Fairy Dragon to initiate the conversation (whilst it was mirror imaged) and then when Tarnesh went red-circled I backstabbed from invisibility, whilst my Fairy Dragon also attacked, followed up by a successful Spook spell and some throwing daggers. Seeing as I will be soloing (apart from where I need an NPC e.g. Siren's death kiss), I really should give my Fairy Dragon a name - any suggestions?

Also had a tough fight with a wolf on the first map after Candlekeep, but the extra 12 HP from my Familiar helped to stop me dying.

Am not sure whether to speak to Dorn in the FAI before heading to Nashkel Mines or to delay his encounter until I'm stronger...

BTW Have acquired all the Easter Egg items (and Gorion's belt) up to this point - 300 Gold from Firebeard, the diamond, the +1 protection ring and the ring of Wizardry. Will be selling the Ankheg Armour to the Nashkel Store once I obtain this in Nashkel, might then buy the Shield Amulet afterwards from the Carnival, to free up a spell slot (no need for Armour then).

JuliusBorisovIgnatius
    ORI: "Nice to meet you, Nefti!"

ORI's Chaotic Good too, by the way.

And he remembers that wolf too, he does. A potion of speed helped a lot.

Fairy Dragon is very useful for a hardcore run.

At level 4 I'd take Single Weapon Fighting Style, it's very useful when backstabbing.

At level 8 I'd take Quarter Staves if you only think about BG1, and Katanas if you think about BG2 already -in this case you can take Quarter Staves and Two-handed Weapon Style at levels 12 and 16 - the good staff for backstabbing is in ToB, in BG2 the best weapon for this purpose is a katana (CF). I prefer the second variant.

Ryuu is a good name for your Fairy Dragon. It sounds cool and means Dragon in Japonese.

I'd speak (if ever) to Dorn later.
    bengoshi said:

ORI: "Nice to meet you, Nefti!"

ORI's Chaotic Good too, by the way.

And he remembers that wolf too, he does. A potion of speed helped a lot.

Fairy Dragon is very useful for a hardcore run.

At level 4 I'd take Single Weapon Fighting Style, it's very useful when backstabbing.

At level 8 I'd take Quarter Staves if you only think about BG1, and Katanas if you think about BG2 already -in this case you can take Quarter Staves and Two-handed Weapon Style at levels 12 and 16 - the good staff for backstabbing is in ToB, in BG2 the best weapon for this purpose is a katana (CF). I prefer the second variant.

Ryuu is a good name for your Fairy Dragon. It sounds cool and means Dragon in Japonese.

I'd speak (if ever) to Dorn later.

Thanks for the tips @bengoshi and I like the Fairy Dragon name suggestion, but how is that pronounced? rye-ooh?