Skip to content

[MOD] Tiger Style Monk Kit 1.3- Staff Style - Release w/Descriptions - Moved from Fighter to Monk

CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
edited February 2013 in General Modding
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/1841645/file.html

Tiger Monk Kit - Now under the Monk Submenu, and will level accordingly.

Above is the link to the compressed kit files. The Kit installs under Monk, and requires Human, and Lawful.

The kit is loosely based on the Greyhawk 2E Monk.

http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/monk/monk.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~ernestm/monk/flan.html

Staffs auto-create on level, and Garb creates at Level 1. (Reason for Garb is to allow the WIS modifier to AC ... and a little more umph).

A big thanks to @requiem for all the help and ideas.

This is my first MOD (for any game), and I am not a programmer by trade. This is my attempt to give back to such a great community that has extended this games replay-ability. I did a complete run-through of the game with this MOD and I didn't see anything out of place. Initially it might feel a little weak, but it picks up fast. If you want the first few levels to be easier, download my Shuriken MOD, and kite your enemy when needed.

******* Description ********

TIGER STYLE MONK:The Tiger Style is no longer formally taught in any known locations. It is a ancient, vital style that concentrates on unleashing the fierceness of the fighter in a nearly uncontrolled fashion by using the monks Chi. The wisdom required to master Chi to this high of a level reduces the monks overall physical prowess, which he more than makes up for with his spell-like abilities.It is also the only martial arts style in the Relams that actively makes use of weapons in its training. Trainees use a variety of improvised weapons, but the chief weapon of the style is a sturdy stick known amongst the order as "tiger sticks." These weapons are easily manufactured or obtained from common everyday implements, or from sundering staves, farming tools, or household cleaning implements. Masters often carry these shellacked sticks carved in a tiger-stripe pattern (which sometimes leave that same pattern upon their opponents). Tiger sticks are treated as martial arts weapons for practitioners of Tiger Style, and can be used to focus his Chi powers through. As the Tiger Monk progresses in his mastery he gains the ability to manufacture "tiger sticks" infused with their own Chi power making them much more fierce.

Prerequisites:
- Must be Human
- Must be Lawful
- Must have an 18 in Wisdom.

Advantages:
- May advance to Grand Mastery in Quarterstaffs.
- May add 2 points in Two Handed Weapon Style.
- Moves 2 points faster than other characters initially, and improves by 1 every 5 additional levels.
- Recieves a -1 to Armor Class at level 1 and every 2 additional levels.
- Gains Chi Heal at level 7.
- Creates Tiger Staffs at level 1, 3, 6, 9, and 15.
- Recieves Tiger Monk Garb at level 1.
- Gains -1 weapon speed at level 8 and 12.
- Immune to Charm and +1 to saves at level 9.
- Immune to Poison at level 11.
- Gains Chi Powers starting at level 1.

Chi Powers
Level 1 - Take down - Knocks an opponent down with a crushing blow.
Level 2 - Improved Take Down - Attempt to knock the opponent out with a crushing blow. (If/when the opponent wakes, he may drop his weapon and flee).
Level 3 - Bolster Self - The Monk draws on his Chi to become more powerful.
Level 4 - Tiger's Ferocity - The Monk spins his staff so quickly as to terrify his opponents.
Level 5 - Death Strike - The Monk attempts to crush the life from his victim.
Level 6 - Daze and Confuse - The Monk strikes his opponent so swiftly that the victim losses his senses.
Level 7 - Tiger's Frenzy - The Monk moves with the swiftness of a tiger.

Chi Power Uses by Level

Level 1--1
Level 2--2
Level 3--2/1
Level 4--3/2
Level 5--3/3/1
Level 6--3/3/2
Level 7--3/3/2/1
Level 8--3/3/3/2
Level 9--4/4/3/2/1
Level 10-4/4/3/3/2
Level 11-4/4/4/3/2/1
Level 12-4/4/4/3/2/2
Level 13-4/4/4/4/2/2
Level 14-4/4/4/4/3/2/1
Level 15-4/4/4/4/4/2/1
Level 16-4/4/4/4/4/3/1
Level 17-4/4/4/4/4/3/2
Level 18-4/4/4/4/4/4/2
Level 19-4/4/4/4/4/4/2
Level 20-5/5/5/5/5/5/2

Disadvantages:
- May not wear any armor except for Tiger Monk Garb.
- May not wear helmets or bracers.
- Can only be Human and Lawful.
- May not find traps or use stealth.
- Suffers -2 to Strength and -2 to Charisma due to Chi focus and lack of socialization.
- Cannot use fist progression and special fist moves.
- Loses MR.

Feel free to give feedback.

Have Fun!
Post edited by Corsymyr on
IllustairArchaicFredjoCrevsDaakNeonfiskOphlyumDungeonnoobRAM021[Deleted User]

Comments

• CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    After furthur research I am wondering if using a DLG file on the character upon level up might be the answer? When going to the Friendly Arm Inn and meeting a certain lady, if your reaction is good enough you get some potions. The DLG looks like this "GiveItem("POTN20",LastTalkedToBy)". These stay with you and never dissappear (of course unless you drink them!).

Is there someone who can assist in informing/instructing me if a DLG upon level up and adding "GiveItem("stafXX",myself)" is even possible? If so, how would I tie it to the Kit ... a SPL file?

TIA
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    Use a spell to summon a creature, give the creature a script which checks the level of the summomer and gives the player an item based on that. I think the commands would be levelgt (summonerof(myself)), 5)

Giveitem ("item", summonerof (myself))

Then once the item has been given you can have the summoned creature use destroyself ()

Hopefully that should point you in the right d direction
    @corsymyr i have been testing this, and i think it may eb to do with the timing mode on the create inventory item spell effects. I had them set as 9-Permanent after death. As a test i set the first staff to 1-Permanent and left the others as they were. I loaded up the kit and swapped areas until the staffs disappeared. The ones that I left as 9-Permanent after death all disappeared, but the staff i set to 1-permanent stayed put, so i think that should solve your problem.
    I will implement that now and check the outcome. The scripting was fun to learn, but I was having problems getting the CRE to run the script ... it's all a learning process.
    @requiem All seems well now ... made changes to 1 from 9 and viola it works. Installed Mod on a fresh install of BG:EE for test purposes. Again thanks so much for all your help. Changing to BETA now.
    @corsymyr glad to hear it, am relly looking forward to seeing the finished mod.
  • NiklasWBNiklasWB Member Posts: 15
    Really looking forward to trying this out. After my current playthrough with Requiem's Improved wizard slayer I'll definately try this one out. I was thinking just a few days ago how I would like to play a monk but with a staff instead of unarmed.

A few questiosn though. What exactly are the Tiger Staffs you can create at level 1, 3, 6, 9, and 15? Are they actual permanent items or are they like the Priest of Helm's summonable Seeking swords ability? What kind of stats do these staffs have? And the Tiger Monk Garb, what stats does that armor have?
    @NiklasWB Thanks for your interest, and I should've posted this info in my description. The staffs auto-create at the proper level and appear in your inventory, replacing the previous version and they are permanent until the next one replaces it. The Garb auto-creates at level 1 and is permanent.

Tiger Monk Garb

The simplest of clothing created by weaving the fur of a Tiger and the Monk's own Chi power to protect the Monk on his travels. The Monk gains a more ferocious attack due to his garb.

STATISTICS:
    1 Extra attack per round
    Armor Class 6

Usable By:

Tiger Style Monk

Tiger Staff at Level 1

The Tiger Staff is created using the Chi powers of a Tiger Style Monk on ordinary wooden staffs found during his travels. As his Chi powers grow the monk is able to create better versions of the weapon. This is the weapon of choice by this order of monks. Carved with the stripes of the Tiger from end to end, it often is known to leave the opponents of the monk with these markings on their flesh.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +0
    Damage: 1D8+1
    +1 Strength
    Damage type: Crushing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 2
    Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
    Type: 2-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength

Usable By:
    Tiger Style Monk

Tiger Staff at Level 3

The Tiger Staff is created using the Chi powers of a Tiger Style Monk on ordinary wooden staffs found during his travels. As his Chi powers grow the monk is able to create better versions of the weapon. This is the weapon of choice by this order of monks. Carved with the stripes of the Tiger from end to end, it often is known to leave the opponents of the monk with these markings on their flesh.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +1
    +1 Strength
    +1 Dexterity
    Damage: 1D8+1

Usable By:
    Tiger Style Monk

Tiger Staff at Level 6

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +1
    +1 Strength
    +1 Dexterity
    +1 Constitution
    Damage: 1D10+1

Usable By:
    Tiger Style Monk

Tiger Staff at Level 9

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +2
    +2 Strength
    +1 Dexterity
    +1 Constitution
    Damage: 1D12+2

Usable By:
    Tiger Style Monk

Tiger Staff at Level 15

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +3
    +2 Strength
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 Constitution
    Damage: 1D20+3

Usable By:
    Tiger Style Monk

Let me know what you think, I really enjoyed my run-through with the kit, but I am quite biased.

Here is the spec's on the Shuriken if you choose to add that as well.

Shuriken of the Shou Ninja

How this rare item made it from Kara-Tur to the Sword Coast is quite a mystery. What is known however, is that these rare Shurikens are given to Shou Ninja's for special missions. Even an average person can throw these projectiles with great accuracy and speed.

SPECIAL:

- This Shuriken will return to the hand of it's owner.
    - 5% chance to Stun a target upon a succesful hit.
    - Weilder gains a +2 to hit with ranged weapons while equipped.
    - Weilder can throw this weapon 5 times a round while equipped.
    - Adds Strength Bonus (if any) to damage.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +2
    Damage: 1D2+2
    Damage type: Piercing
    Weight: 1
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Dart
    Type: Thrown

Usable By:
    Any
    Fredjo[Deleted User]
  • NecrishNecrish Member Posts: 6
    I tried it out and well.. for some reason the monk Garb disappeared before i could get out of candlekeep, i have no idea why. Also why is Min 18 wis a disadvantage? :P
    @necrish ... very interesting about the Garb ... I will look into it. I had a problem with all the staffs dissappearing and was able to remedy that. In the mean time just CLUAConsole:CreateItem("tmgarb"). This will give the garb back and make it permanent. The reason I list having an 18 Wisdom as a Disadvantage versus an Advantage is the same as being Human and Lawful; it's a restraint of the class. It would probably better to list these as Prerequisites, sorry for any confusion.
    @necrish The oversight on my coding of the Garb has been corrected, and should now function as designed. Added Prerequisites to Description. Thanks for your feedback.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2013
    Corsymyr said:

The reason I list having an 18 Wisdom as a Disadvantage versus an Advantage is the same as being Human and Lawful; it's a restraint of the class. It would probably better to list these as Prerequisites, sorry for any confusion.

The way the game handles minimum stats at character creation, it makes them purely an advantage. Basically, since you choose your class before rolling the stats, if (taking your staff monk as an example) the game rolls less than 18 for WIS, it will just raise it to that level, without affecting the other stats. You can't have a "prerequisite" when it works that way. ;)
    This is true and I was aware of that when building the Mod. My take on it is to set things as if it was on paper. It's too bad the engine is setup that way. To me there should be a finite total number to be allocated amongst all attributes, but oh well. I wanted the 18 WIS so the Garb could add the armor class bonus, and a 14 for Con for a bump in HP.
  • While an 18 Wis does make it easier to get rolls that are better overall, it does have the disadvantage of preventing you from making it a dump stat when it has no real benefits for your character. Bards get good rolls because of stat minimums, but it can still be hard to get the stats you want because you can't dump Cha.

I'd drop the Con minimum, though. Nobody's dumping Con on a Monk. Make them pay to get a Con good enough to see a benefit from the staff's Con bonus.
    @Kaigen ... that's a good point. I will make that happen. What would be awesome is to write a MOD with a finite total of say 75 total points to divide between your 6 attributes. Then having minimums would really matter ...
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    I really want to try this mod...but I've always had a mage type for my PC, or more recently, an archer. Still waiting for Requiem to release mage or sorcerer kits (should Overhaul fix it). But I have an interesting idea: PC will have a trusty servant who's taken a vow of silence. Obviously, he's a Tiger Style Monk.:D

EDIT: Why not allow to use bracers by the way? It seems forced. Also, what are the saves for the chi powers? Thanks.
    @illustair The Bracers and Helm limitation are from the Kensai Kit 2DA file. It was to offset the Garb's -4 to AC. The saves for the Chi powers are the same as the Spell being used i.e Knockdown = Priest Command.

Thanks for your interest, and happy hunting on your run through.
    Illustair
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Question: are you using the fighter class because at present the monk one does not allow the creation of kits?
    @Aedan ... yes ... this is a Fighter Kit.
    Thanks for the answer. If the devs make the barbarian, monk and sorcerer classes moddable, do you plan to put your kit among those for the monk? I ask that because I am the manteiner of the mod list in the italian forum and I am writing a description for each mod.
    Thanks for the attention.
    @Aedan ... I would indeed add it to the Monk catagory if it was available. The way it is now the leveling is not correct. Thanks for keeping up with the Mods for everyone.
    Thanks to you for developing this and the other mods :)
    With the latest patch, you should be able to put your kit into the monk class :)
  • FliksjeFliksje Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    For some reason when I choose the Tiger Style Monk, the game ignores my choice and comes out with the default Monk class. The installation of the mod went perfect and in the Monk tab under Classes the Tiger Style Monk is displayed correctly with the whole text. Anyone has an idea how to resolve this plz? I'm really looking forward to start with this Monk class.
    Post edited by Fliksje on
  • LarkairnLarkairn Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2013
    I've successfully installed this mod but for some reason Staffs cannot be used by this kit. I can't put any skill points into that or Two Handed weapon style. He starts off with no garb and with no weapon. He has also retained stunning blow.

He can also find traps and use stealth, i'd say it has been set to the plain Monk class for some unknown reason.
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    Larkairn said:

I've successfully installed this mod but for some reason Staffs cannot be used by this kit. I can't put any skill points into that or Two Handed weapon style. He starts off with no garb and with no weapon. He has also retained stunning blow.

He can also find traps and use stealth, i'd say it has been set to the plain Monk class for some unknown reason.

Fliksje said:

For some reason when I choose the Tiger Style Monk, the game ignores my choice and comes out with the default Monk class. The installation of the mod went perfect and in the Monk tab under Classes the Tiger Style Monk is displayed correctly with the whole text. Anyone has an idea how to resolve this plz? I'm really looking forward to start with this Monk class.

i would appear to be having the same problem aswell =)

edited May 2013
    @corsymyr any chance of an update on this my friend?

also this may have been pointed out already but other than the fact when you enter the game after character creation your just a normal monk i did also notice on the character creation screen where it should say sumin like Tiger Style Monk or some such class title, it just says Monk

this is just in the window where it shows your characters currently select options.. it reads correctly when ur choosing the specific type of monk form the list its just the overview window and ingame where it simply states your class as Monk

looking forward to being able to play this class kit.
    well until this gets sorted i'm just going to remove the mod... hopefully corsymyr gets back to us in due time.
    Larkairn
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    I wanted to use this....
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    Can someone re upload this mod?