Skip to content

The (unfortunate, inexplicable) death of Khalid

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The first time I played BG1 I didn't even know that 15 STR was a crap stat for a Fighter. I actually brought Khalid with me for the whole playthrough.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2012
    I sometimes will bring khalid through the whole playthrough. Yea his strength sucks but he makes up for it with a relatively high constitution and dexterity. So basically until I get the gauntlets of ogre power to improve his strength he acts as a decoy for my party.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I also use Khalid to find and disarm traps:P
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @elminster You're not wrong. You can just use Khalid as a decent meatshield, doesn't matter that he hits like a wet noodle. He has one of the best Dex/Con scores of all the fighter classes, so he doesn't NEED the gauntlets of dexterity to get a decent AC (unlike Minsc, Jaheira or Ajantis).

Tbh though I normally avoid him and Jaheira like the plague, I'd much rather go for Ajantis + Branwen/Yeslick for my melee & healing needs. Might have to force myself to play canon party on the first BG:EE playthrough though.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Corvino

But then you'd miss out on the new NPCs.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Tanthalas I said *first* playthrough. I've already got 3 planned...
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    If Khalid were the Fighter/Mage he were supposed to be instead of a generic fighter, would he have been hated by the community. More curious, would he have been axed and gutted in BG2?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Then he would've been taken by the Cowled Wizards instead of Imoen and the main quest would be to find a crap to give, instead of collecting money for freedom.
  • GeldridgeGeldridge Member Posts: 21
    @Dazzu - haha, yeah! You have to admire an NPC so universally loved and respected that the devs came up with their own way to drop him from the party in BG2!!
  • Jason_SilverainJason_Silverain Member Posts: 38
    I've never understood the hatred for Khalid, as I play through first as a Fighter and then a Paladin I found he made a useful second fighter.
    Considering that in my final battle with Sarevok my paladin took an unlucky critical and only survived thanks to Khalid changing targets suddenly and striking him down from behind... it permanently cemented him as one of my favourite characters alongside Imoen.

You can imagine my reaction to the first dungeon of BG2. :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Geldridge said:

@Dazzu - haha, yeah! You have to admire an NPC so universally loved and respected that the devs came up with their own way to drop him from the party in BG2!!

The poor guy was vivisected and tortured to death, sure he was annoying, but he didn't deserve that fate. Oh well, I did my best to comfort Jaheira.... =)

• morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    well i kinda did like many otheres i let him run free nude (i wanted hiss love so had to get rid of him )

that he cant fight aint realy my problem nude maby but he did seem to die fast even with cloth on
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    To be honest I don't kill NPCs to break up couples. Either I let them join together or I leave them both.

Khalid isn't that bad of a fighter. Even despite his 15 strength (which doesn't provide any combat related bonus nor a malus) he can specialize in a weapon to make up for it. 4 specialization points in long swords and he's good to go. He gets even more attacks than a brute like Minsc (who can only spend 2 specialization points in a weapon). Shar-Teel would have been an alternative but she's got a low constitution score in exchange for a high strength. Kagain might be slightly better than Khalid.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Leave Khalid aloooone! ;-;
  • FlintlockJazzFlintlockJazz Member Posts: 1
    I have to say, I never minded Khalid. In fact, I rather liked him, his stuttering warriorness made him unique in a nice way. :( Then again, I seem to be one of the few people who liked having the 'pairs' in the original BG, and I always overwrote whatever strength score they had with 'gauntlets of x' eventually anyway.

Having his widow throw himself, I mean herself, at me each playthrough also seemed to grate on me. "Oi bint, your dead husband was ma mate, WTF are ya doing and get off me crotch!"
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    edited July 2012
    this is my favorite thread atm, people here seem to be very creative when it comes to planning untimely deaths :P ...but to be perfectly fair, there's nothing wrong with Khalid, stat-wise. After receiving the gauntlets of ogre power he is actually the best NPC fighter in the entire game bar none. I'm not kidding. Shar-Teel has 1 point higher Dex and big str, but her con is a measly 9 so she's out of the race as soon as the gauntlets come into play. Also, if you take Khalid early, you can give him 4-5 stars in a weapon like sword or axe, making him a total beast, beating out the rest of the competition like Ajantis, Kivan, Coran etc. since they can have a maximum of 2. The only fighter left to compare him to is Kagain, and he has to choose between wearing the guantlets of dexterity or ogre power because of low scores in str and dex... so.. myeaah... oh, and he's also a fairly decent archer from the getgo :)
    Post edited by Winthal on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Damn. You guys are cold, and I routinely describe my "real life alignment" as Lawful Evil. Granted, I was like ten years-old and had never played D&D when BG1 first came out, but I ran through the game with Khalid as my main tank.

Although, hilariously enough, the first time I encountered an ahnkeg Khalid got hit with the breath weapon and died instantly as I walked along the road.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Geldridge said:

The poor guy was vivisected and tortured to death, sure he was annoying, but he didn't deserve that fate. Oh well, I did my best to comfort Jaheira.... =)

Bow chicka wow wow
  • BLack_XIIIBLack_XIII Member Posts: 32
    you know... trap food in the last floor of nashkell's mine. Naked.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    When I saw this I thought it referred to the canon death of Khalid in BG2. "UNFORTUNATE" was my first reaction :P.

Usually Khalid would get really drunk and volunteer to check for traps naked in Nashkel mines.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I always liked Khalid.
  • RhukRhuk Member Posts: 13
    when i played BG for the first time Khalid usually lived the longest...
    nowadays he ...well... still outlives the other members oO

my group dies and he still stands: maybe i´m doing sth wrong

only one time was weird: i was trying to kill that ogre south of beregost and after many tries
    the ogre takes several hits while my group was still intact but then the ogre kills Khalid (crushed to goo)
    and dies right after... (still felt like a victory to me)

(truth to be told: i reloaded shortly after :D (can´t let Khalid die, i mean come on!))
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I always tried to find a good excuse to leave Khalid and Jaheira at the Inn.

The new npcs, in that aspect, are more than welcome :P

Considering the fact that my first D&D pen and paper party consisted among others of a sorceress, a monk (!) and i was playing a bone knight, a darker type of knight, well, it's like deja vu with a strong sense of nostalgia.

Damn devs reading my thoughts.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    It's clear that Khalid's death in BG 2 was a plot device to make Jaheira romanceable and to be honest, I didn't like that at all. I'm a big fan of the Khalid - Jaheira couple and I always take both of them in my party. I also don't get all the hate for poor Khalid. Believe it or not, but he was my main tank during all of BG. You just need to give him some affection and he'll crush any enemy for you. (well, he did for me, at least) :p No, seriously, he isn't that bad for a Fighter character. I gotta admit I think his stuttering is extremely cute, tho. XD
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Geez.. Khalid is such a pain in the posterior.

To add insult to injury, I usually had Jaheira beat him to death so I could remove him from the party without losing her.. the few times i actually wanted to bring her judgmental, condescending, nagging bony arse along. <3 Branwen & Viccy
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    There was a playthrough tester who had K&J and X&M in their party in the Nashkel mines and the two sets of NPCs went at it so badly that he could only pick one side and join in. It's Harpers vs. Zhentarim anyhow.
  • RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
    I rather like Khalid, and I always make sure to recruit him along with Jaheira whenever I play! I don't care very much for stats as I am much more interested in role play (aside from which, Khalid's stats are quite effective if he is used as a defender or an archer). The two of them are the best friends you will find shy of Imoen (and Minsc doesn't count because his judgment is a bit warped). Khalid is friendly and good-hearted, and though he may not be the most courageous warrior he makes up for it with his kind nature. He helps to keep Jaheira's temper from flaring up too badly, which is always a good thing for my group's morale (even Boo has been known to quiver at the sight of an angered Jaheira).

That being said, I am rather torn as to who I will have in my party for this release. I like to stick with the canon party members, yet I also want to adventure with the new characters. I suspect that my party may change hands a few times throughout the story, though I am not sure who will remain to see the story to its completion.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Khalid needs more love! D: Remember the poor guy's fate in Baldur's Gate 2...Showing a bit of appreciation is the least we can do, no? :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Khalid needs more love! D: Remember the poor guy's fate in Baldur's Gate 2...Showing a bit of appreciation is the least we can do, no? :)

That's exactly what we do.... We know the torture he is going to face, so we just put him down early, preventing him the future extreme agony he was going to face. I think its a noble thing to do..