Skip to content

Getting Shadowkeeper to work with BGEE

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @ermo, I most likely will provide the source. But I would rather get it working with things like the language folders first :).

I'm using VS6, too much bother trying to alter it for VS2012 right now. Everything else is as it was, just the few lines of code to get the Documents folder and I hard coded the lang folder to en_US.

Right now, I don't have the time to fiddle with it to actually update it to VS2012 (which is why I haven't done so yet) since I'm working on other stuff, but I will do that eventually, too. Possibly over the next week or three if I have time.
    ermo
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2013
    @Troodon80, For me, EE Keeper (hm, why not BEE Keeper?) imitates the old SK in that it puts saves in my custom 00766\save folder, not the Documents one. Could it be a problem that the game and Documents are on different drives?
    @swnmcmlxi, I'll look into that tomorrow. I think that's something I forgot to change, should only take a couple minutes to get that bit working in the morning :).

(This is why I wanted other people to test it, you pick up on things I don't).
    swnmcmlxiermo
    edited January 2013
    Updated to save in Docs.
    -Plus a couple minor tweaks.

Still needs more testing :).

Edit: Should I make a new thread for this?
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    @Troodon80, the new version behaves just fine, very good.

(But I still think it should be called BEE Keeper :)
    edited January 2013
    Added primitive language selection.

You will need to type in the language as it appears in the folder (I'll fill in the dropdown later).
    • cs_CZ
    • de_DE
    • en_US
    • es_ES
    • fr_FR
    • pl_PL
    Shadow Keeper isn't in those languages, so remember that the program is still in English.
    mlneveseCrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Troodon80 Can it be made to read the language preference from the .ini file?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Troodon80

I haven't used Shadowkeeper in years, but I remember there was something that always bothered me.

Editing a savegame, would change the order in which the spells are memorised. That may have no consequence in BG1/BGEE, but it was annoying in BG2 where you want to prevent the more important spells from being lost because of a level drain.

Do you know if this has been fixed in the more recent versions? If not, do you think it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance
    @Troodon80 It also changed the order of the innate abilities. Can it be fixed?
    CrevsDaak
    I will look into it, but probably not without modifying the way it actually saves the file.

As for the language, I'm not sure the language is stored in Baldur.ini (I assume that's the one you meant), but it would probably be better to allow some sort of selector/combo-box just for ease of changing it.
    @Troodon80 It's stored in Baldur.ini under 'Language','Text'.
    edited January 2013
    @mlnevese, I don't actually have that line in my INI. What values can it take? Is it plain text, like "English", or is it "en_US"?

Also, functioning drop down. Select your language from the list. Simple enough:

It should be noted that it defaults to Index 2 on startup. It's cosmetic as long as you don't keep going into the installation directory options. If you do, you'll have to remember to reselect your language. If you go in there and find that everything is fine, then just click cancel. Edited, don't need to worry about that :).

I might also change it so it displays the actual language name rather than a system-like variable. Quite a bit planned :D.
    @Troodon80 Curious It's always been there for me. The format is "en_US" it follows the folder names AFAIK.
  • TimTimmyTimTimmy Member Posts: 5
    Troodon80 said:

I posted this in another thread. I was wondering if anyone wanted to try this version of EE Keeper (Shadow Keeper, with the basic alterations for the Documents and lang folder).

It's more or less a beta, if I get time I might implement a language option. Currently it is hard coded to en_US. It works for me, but I'd like to get someone else to test it :).

You are amazing! I tried everything on this thread, but this is the only things that worked.
    If the above line does not prove my capability, then try this:
    I can load any save I want; when I make a change and save, it renames the savegame (as expected). But this new savegame is nowhere on my machine. I cannot find it. I don't even care if I could make it overwrite the original (I have my own copy).
    Please tell me how I can make it save the edited savegame.
    I am using Windows 7, and even gave it administrator rights (since the files were in documents/etc)

@TimTimmy, could you try out this version.

The first version I posted saves to the installation directory, not the Documents folder, so it will also only save if you have a "save" folder in the games' directory, which was a goof on my part for not simply creating a new variable to hold the Documents folder. The new version should work fine :)
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    Strange, I am not finding 00766 in my data folder. I have BGEE installed in C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data.... but no 00766 after that.
    @CuChoinneach, what's in the data folder? Can you find anything like chitin.key? What other folders are in there?
    The chitin.key file is in C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ in the data folder is a lot of bif files... no other folders.
    @CuChoinneach, okay, but the folder with chitin.key -- C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ -- should have some other folders in it; data, lang, movies, etc. Can you confirm that?
    Yes... In C:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition are the following folders: data, lang, Manuals, movies, music and scripts.
    @CuChoinneach, then that's all you need to worry about.

I'm not sure why you don't have a numbered folder, it could be any number of reasons, but it's still straight forward to set these things up.
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2013

I'm not sure why you don't have a numbered folder, it could be any number of reasons, but it's still straight forward to set these things up.

There's at least two different ways to install BG:EE -- standalone installer and via the BeamDog client (which to my knowledge uses the 00766 folder). The standalone installer might not use the 00766 folder?

Also, I'm assuming that you are using the %Documents% (don't remember the exact name) variable for figuring out the correct BG:EE save etc. folder?
    ok... I just was confused since I don't have the 07766 folder.
    @ermo, CSIDL_PERSONAL. There's probably a better way, especially since the VC6 use of SHGetSpecialFolderLocation has been depreciated into non-use these days. However, I can't be bothered trying to update the entire project to use VS2010 and up (I will at some point, though - the IntelliSense would be handy).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    ermo said:

There's at least two different ways to install BG:EE -- standalone installer and via the BeamDog client (which to my knowledge uses the 00766 folder). The standalone installer might not use the 00766 folder?

I've used the standalone installer and I have the 00766 folder too. I don't know if the Steam version does have it though. Anyway the most likely explanation for the missing 00766 folder is that a custom path without it was chosen during install.
    ermo
    @Troodon80:

I found KNOWNFOLDERID (Windows) which had a helpful user contributed bit of information:

This documentation left out the Per user Documents folder. Here is some information about it...

Windows 7:Libraries
    Vista:%USERPROFILE%\Document
    XP:%USERPROFILE%\My Documents
    Environment Variable:Not applicable
    Known Folder ID:FOLDERID_Documents
    System.Environment.SpecialFolder:System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments
    CSIDL:CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS, CSIDL_PERSONAL
    Troodon80
    @ermo, CSIDLs still work for modern operating systems, so that's probably what I'll stick with while I'm using VC6. I'll be changing a lot of the code once I start upgrading the source - that will be one :).

In the mean time, if something goes wrong and you can't save or load, then I'll look into upgrading the code sooner rather than later.
    ermomlnevese
  • TimTimmyTimTimmy Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Troodon80 said:

@TimTimmy, could you try out this version.

The first version I posted saves to the installation directory, not the Documents folder, so it will also only save if you have a "save" folder in the games' directory, which was a goof on my part for not simply creating a new variable to hold the Documents folder. The new version should work fine :)

Woohoo! That did it. I created a "save" folder, and copied the edited file where it belongs. You are my new hero!

Other than the correct save file location, is there anything else new/improved with this version?
    @TimTimmy, the language setting is the only other adjustment that I have made. More will likely come (I aim to fix the issue with the portraits for starters). Make the language settings easier to understand, basic tweaks here and there. Over all, Shadow Keeper seems to works fine as it is so I figure there's no point fixing something that isn't broken :).

I'll make tweaks, then update the code to VS2012 so that I can make use of IntelliSense and other features.
    @Troodon80:

I take it chances are slim that you'd actually want to migrate it away from MFC, such that it could be maintained with the Express editions instead of requiring a VS standard edition w/MFC support?