Skip to content

Who uses Auto-pause and to what degree?

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
When I play i use Auto-pause for almost everything. Spot enemy, spot trap, death of enemy, death of party member, weapon unusable. What about the rest of you? And why?
  1. Who uses Auto-pause and to what degree?97 votes
    1. Use Full Auto-pause (including the end of round)
        7.22%
    2. Use for some stuff
      41.24%
    3. Use for very minimal
      23.71%
    4. Never use Auto-pause
      20.62%
    5. Only use Auto-pause in single player
        3.09%
    6. Auto-pause? What's that? Some kind of Cat thing?
        4.12%

Comments

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    I have it set for enemy and trap sighted. That's about it other than when I need to go afk. Too much Starcraft I suppose, I used to be a chronic pause fiend when I played the game during the original launch.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Trap sighted and character death, that's about it.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited February 2013
    I use enemy sighted, trap sighted, character 30% or less, character death, and SOMETIMES target destroyed in single player.

In multiplayer I use enemy sighted, and that's more of a just in case there is a multiplayer glitch or lag out. Too much pausing in multiplayer is a big issue I have encountered, so I tend to avoid it AMAP.

If multiplayer were less buggy, I would not use auto pause in it at all.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    -Enemy Sighted
    -Trap Sighted
    -Spell Cast
    -Weapon Unusable
    -Target Destroyed

I find Weapon Unusable is a must-have when you are dealing with characters that use missile weapons with multiple ammo types (BG:EE has an awful habit of switching to melee for no apparent reason), or Mages/Clerics using Energy Blades/Melf's Minute Meteors.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Haven't used it.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Mathmick, I think that (switching to melee for no apparent reason) is legacy from the original as I have ti also (playing Classic with Tutu). Also, check what script you have that character set on, which might be the problem as well.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    To me is enemy sighted and weapon unusable. I like to play with as few pauses as possible.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I have auto-pause on enemy sighted and trap found.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,228
    You needed a "use it for most stuff" option. I use it for everything except end of round. I'm very much a turn based sort of guy (I play strategy games, no shooters or real time) so I want my AD&D as much like a strategy game as possible.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Only for traps. Those are just pesky otherwise. For everything else, I pause myself :)
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I prefer to hit spacebar by myself, whenever I want to.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Enemy Sighted and Trap Sighted.

Basically I use it to prevent silly interface errors (like walking over a trap which you know is there).
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Trap Found and Weapon Unusable

Mathmick, I think that (switching to melee for no apparent reason) is legacy from the original as I have ti also (playing Classic with Tutu). Also, check what script you have that character set on, which might be the problem as well.

I don't use AI. Characters automatically switch to another weapon when one runs out (or ammo run out). I can understand switching to the first weapon slot when MMM or EB runs out, but not using the standard arrows after finishing off Acid Arrows is quite annoying (Especially when they pick "Use fist in sling slot" over "Use Dagger +2") Weapon Unusable Auto-Pause allows to micromanage this so they switch to ranged instead of melee, and more important serves to notify when you are out of ammo/MMMs/EBs.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    -Enemy sighted
    -Character dead
    -Trap found
    -Weapon unusable

On second thought, maybe I should have gone with the "use for some stuff" option.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I find it very useful for spotting traps. Quite often, if I didn't have the auto-pause on I would have walked right into the trap.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Enemy Sighted, trap sighted, target destroyed, weapon unusable.
    Overall I think Enemy Sighted is pretty much a necessity, especially if you want to have a chance at disrupting mirror images, or other spells that are very fast to cast.
    Trap sighted is also nice to prevent walking right into it sometimes.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I prefer to pause minimally. More immersive gameplay experience that way.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Mathmick said:

I don't use AI. Characters automatically switch to another weapon when one runs out (or ammo run out). I can understand switching to the first weapon slot when MMM or EB runs out, but not using the standard arrows after finishing off Acid Arrows is quite annoying (Especially when they pick "Use fist in sling slot" over "Use Dagger +2") Weapon Unusable Auto-Pause allows to micromanage this so they switch to ranged instead of melee, and more important serves to notify when you are out of ammo/MMMs/EBs.

Not using AI means that you are using the default AI. Unless you are turning off the lantern in the lower right hand corner. Which you may be doing, I don't know. But if the characters are attacking at all without being told, then that would be the default AI. But potato/potaato.

edited February 2013

Not using AI means that you are using the default AI. Unless you are turning off the lantern in the lower right hand corner. Which you may be doing, I don't know. But if the characters are attacking at all without being told, then that would be the default AI. But potato/potaato.

I am turning off the lantern in the lower right-hand corner. Which I am doing. I know.

The most "AI" characters use is sometimes attacking an enemy that is exactly the same as the one that they just killed. Also switching to horrible weapons.

EDIT: Anyway... all this doesn't matter because I have a workaround: Auto-Pause + reassign everything.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I use auto-pause for enemy sighted and trap found. With those two, I'll hit spacebar almost all the time anyway, why not let the game do it automatically for me?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    I really only use it for Enemy sighted and Weapon unusable.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Auto-pause is handy for learning the game, but once you know what you're doing, it just gets in the way.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Because I'm an airhead...
    Character Death - "Is it Neera? No? Sorry, Xan, you're out of the party now that you're dead. Say hello to Erevain for me."
    Weapon Unusable - "Damn it, time to go hustle up Greywolf for his sword again."
    Enemy Sighted - To see what it is, and formulate a strategy.
    Trap Found - Because I tend to go "whoop!" right into them. :3
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I had beat BG and BG2 probably 30 times before I clued into the fact that this was an option. Since I was used to playing without it, that is how I still run for my games.

I am, however, using it on "enemy sighted" for the first time with a (slow) BG:EE run with my son. It makes for a nice..."now you see an enemy, what do you want to do?" style that gets him thinking about the game mechanics a little.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    Wow, a lot of people do Enemy Sighted. I obviously understand the tactical advantage, but I prefer to spot enemies myself, and I feel like I deserve to be punished if I don't. It makes getting flanked that much worse.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I use it for Character Death and Weapon Unusable. The former because deaths tends to come at the most inconvenient of times and my priest doesn't have Raise Dead yet so may as well get reloading right away and the latter due to weapons falling apart. It can be a bit of a hassle with multiple ranged weapon users though as apparently a weapon is "unusable" if they have to switch to the next stack of ammo...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I currently use it only for enemy sighted.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    For tactics. Pause, tell each character what to do, then unpause.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.