claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
Is it Drits? Or Drizzit? Other?

Comments

• ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    More like dritst.

drɪtst being the phonetic spelling.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited December 2012
    "Drizt." It really is pretty much just like it looks. One syllable.

Guards who say "drizzit" say it that way out of a common way his name is mispronounced, in order to make them look silly and stupid. Happens quite often in the books, IIRC.

If you really want to know, when you encounter him in Baldur's Gate, listen to his voiced lines. He speaks in the third person because he's cool like that.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2012
    @sandmanCCL True story: I always thought those guards were saying "Tresset".
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    badly
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've always pronounced it "Drist" in my head, but that's mainly because I'm lazy. I guess the "s" should be a "z" sound but that seems like a bother.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    I always say "Drizzit," mainly because that's how it sounds best to me, regardless how it's actually pronounced.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The original manual had it pronounced "Drihtst", as would rhyme with "blitzed". I always thought it was more like "Drihdzd", though.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    The pronunciation of Drizzt Do'Urden is given as Drist Doe-URR-den in the revised 2nd edition of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. This pronunciation is given in the Running the Realms booklet on page 33.
    The pronunciation is also given as "Drits" instead of "Drist" in the book The Crystal Shard, wherein he teaches a child how to pronounce his name, and in interviews with the author R.A. Salvatore.

The pronunciation is also given in the book The Legend of Drizzt, Book 3:Sojourn, wherein he teaches a child how to pronounce his name; whereupon the little boy runs for his mother yelling "It's a drizzit!".

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_Do'Urden
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I call him Drizzle.
  • DowDow Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    Pronounced in the same way you would say 'missed'.

iKrivetko is almost right, although he does not teach a child to pronounce his name in Sojourn. It is the childs take on his name and is pronounced and spelt wrong on both counts.

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I just read it as Drits. It seems to be the most readable...I always tend to go to what's convenient for me. Any other pronunciation other than that is a tongue twister for me.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, there's one thing we can take away from this discussion.

R.A. Salvatore is a jerk. ;)
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Drizzt rimes to fist and mist for me.

- Drizzt raised his fist in the mist.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    ehm.... hi.... do you think if i call him simply and lovely ..."drizzy" he can cut me with his blades? thank you for your support. ;)
    post scriptum.
    i'm not a troll. fits better tasloi.
    so if a troll is trolling, a tasloi is tasloiing? thank all.!!!!
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    edited January 2013
    I always thought is to be Drist, but heard Salvatore pronounce it as Dritst in quite a few interviews on Youtube. For instance, this one in 0:58.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSIw10NnIo

However, he seems to mumble it as Drits here, in 1:00 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlceNdbt9Q8
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    I've always said Driz-it in my head...
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I always pronounced it "Dritst", because that's how it sounds when you do it in German. I thought it was intended to rhyme with "missed".

Now I'm disappointed, I wanted it name to sound ridiculous, not correct. :(
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

Me too. Meh, it's a dumb name. Not one I'd associate with a hero.

Me too. Meh, it's a dumb name. Not one I'd associate with a hero.

Salvatore has said that he made the entire character up within seconds, when the publisher called and informed him he couldn't use the character he intended because of copyright, and they needed something else immediately, to inform the board of directors taking place within moments.
    Calmar said:

I always pronounced it "Dritst", because that's how it sounds when you do it in German... ... ...I wanted it name to sound ridiculous, not correct. :(

Nay, not ridiculous, but with a heavy German accent Drizzt might be an officer name in a WW II movie.
  • LeematonLeematon Member Posts: 33
    I've always pronounced it as 'drizzed' (rolls off the tongue easily). Not sure what the official pronunciation is, though.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Not sure what the actual pronunciation is, but I hear that, in the Drow tongue, it means: "Overhyped."
    edited January 2013

Not sure what the actual pronunciation is, but I hear that, in the Drow tongue, it means: "Overhyped."

Hehe... he is isn't he? Jokes aside, here is an etymology (just because i knew before it came up):
    Driz (prefix, male form of Jyz) = Hard, steel, unyielding
    -zt (suffix, male form of -zyne) = Finder, hunter
    So Drizzt = unyielding hunter or tracker, stalker

My source: http://drowcampaign.roleplaynexus.com/drowlanguage.html
    Their own sources seem to go back at least to 1996, but i haven't been able to find out exactly. Possibly official WotC or even TSR gaming materials or novels, but not entirely sure.
    Post edited by Michail on
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    It sounds the way its spelled
    Just player through the Cloakwood mines. There was a guy on the third level, I believe, that said he could kill Drizzt with his hands tied up or something. It sounded like "Drisst". Anyone noticed this?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I pronounce it "driz-zet".