Skip to content

What book(s) are you reading right now?

1235»

Comments

• jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    Sylph said:

I'm currently reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss, although I can't say I'm terribly impressed with it.

Try to get through at least half the book...I found the first half is interesting, but a little slow too. It's the second half that really shines - and worth the wait!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    jethro said:

Sylph said:

I'm currently reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss, although I can't say I'm terribly impressed with it.

Try to get through at least half the book...I found the first half is interesting, but a little slow too. It's the second half that really shines - and worth the wait!
    Agreed! It's superb and the sequel is even better!
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Dragon Age: Asunder. I (secretly) really like the first two books in that series. :3
    edited February 2013
    BTW I've just noticed that quite a few of the Forgotten Realms books are *finally* available for Kindle in the UK on Amazon, which of these are actually any good and worth reading? I heard that the quality is variable. I was thinking of maybe starting with "Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I" by R. A. Salvatore (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DOSBMK/ ), but would also be interested to read some non-Drizzt stuff, what else is good? Who else is worth reading apart from R. A. Salvatore? Would mostly be interested in fairly "canon" Faerûn stuff.

Is "Elminster: Making of a Mage" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elminster-Making-Forgotten-Realms-ebook/dp/B00513DGXY/ ) by Ed Greenwood worth reading?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just finished Chocolate Wars by Deborah Cadbury.
    Also recently finished Brother's Grimm.
    3/4th the way through Oliver Twist.

BTW I've just noticed that quite a few of the Forgotten Realms books are *finally* available for Kindle in the UK on Amazon, which of these are actually any good and worth reading? I heard that the quality is variable. I was thinking of maybe starting with "Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I" by R. A. Salvatore (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DOSBMK/ ), but would also be interested to read some non-Drizzt stuff, what else is good? Who else is worth reading apart from R. A. Salvatore? Would mostly be interested in fairly "canon" Faerûn stuff.

Is "Elminster: Making of a Mage" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elminster-Making-Forgotten-Realms-ebook/dp/B00513DGXY/ ) by Ed Greenwood worth reading?

Has anyone read "Unclean: The Haunted Lands, Book I" (Forgotten Realms: The Haunted Lands, Book 1) by Richard Lee Byers (see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unclean-Haunted-Forgotten-Realms-ebook/dp/B00357PU4Q/ )?

It sounds very promising, there's even a subplot about a Bard, apparently :-)
  • IxtabaiIxtabai Member Posts: 23
    Currently reading: Natsume Sôseki's "Kokoro" (in English translation), Roger Scruton's "Green Philosophy", José Rizal's "Noli Me Tangere" (English trans. but I am also referring to original Spanish text), and Edouard Glissant's "Caribbean Discourse". No, these are not all reading for pleasure... :( But they are all pretty different and interesting books nonetheless.

... Who else is worth reading apart from R. A. Salvatore? Would mostly be interested in fairly "canon" Faerûn stuff.

I remember reading Greenwood's Spellfire, which I enjoyed for all the info it gave on Elminster. It featured some of Elminster's battle-tactics that made him look quite clever. But I have not read that much forgotten realms stuff, however, I do know many of them are definitely not worth reading at all.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i've been going throught The Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell for the first time...
    last night i started The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I finished "Shadows in Flight" by Orson Scott Card last night. Having thought the Ender and Bean sagas were concluded a while ago, it blew my mind to see a new book sitting on the shelf when I was browsing a book store. It was fantastic to go back to the Ender-verse again, though the book wasn't as fulfilling as some of the previous installments.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154

If your interested in Elminster, then by all means read the books, just don't expect spectacular writing, IMO Greenwood has a tendency to rush a bit.
  • FoodgeekFoodgeek Member Posts: 12
    I loved the original Amber books. The one's with Corwin, not Merle. Aso a fan of G RR Martin.

I recently finished two new releases, Imager's Battalion (Modesitt) and the last Wheel of Time (Jordan) book. I just picked up Flinx Transcendant, but am already bored. I have a copy of Holt's Blonde Bombshell (sci fi humor?) handy, so may switch to that. I'm also a few book's into Simon R Greene's Drood series (James Bond satire in a scifi/fantasy setting).

-Jason
    www.dcfud.com

Soooo, while we wait for preload/release day... What are you guys reading currently? How is that going for you?

Currently, I am reading the "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny, and "The Saint" by Dan Abnett. On my fiance's Nook tablet, I am reading "Clash of Kings" by George R. R. Martin.

I am a pretty slow reader, so I've been working on these for a few months. I took a break on The Saint and Clash of Kings while I work on Amber. I read about halfway through these chronicles several years ago, but never finished it. I'm giving it another go right now, and I'm fascinated by the concept of reality travel.

I don't remember where I'm at on Clash of Kings, but it's just after the intro with Melisandra.

I haven't read The Saint in a while, but last I left off, the Ghosts were iinvading a fuel refinery that had been taken over by Chaos forces. I should pick that up again... Abnett is one of my favorite writers. I'm in love with his writing style, ever since I plowed though Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    Currently reading "Fortress Against the Rising Sun: The Role of the B-17 in the Pacific" by Gene Eric Saleker. Am I the only one here who doesn't read fiction much?
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited March 2013
    The 'Saxon Chronicles' series by Bernard Cornwell. I don't think that guy could write a bad book if he tried - his research is absolutely meticulous. I've already read the 'Grail Quest' series, 'Sharpe' series and a few standalones (such as 'Azincourt').

@atcDave I run about two-thirds fiction/one-third non-fiction but my preferred fiction is based on factual events. Unless it's pure space opera!!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    Yovaneth said:

The 'Saxon Chronicles' series by Bernard Cornwell. I don't think that guy could write a bad book if he tried - his research is absolutely meticulous. I've already read the 'Grail Quest' series, 'Sharpe' series and a few standalones (such as 'Azincourt').

@atcDave I run about two-thirds fiction/one-third non-fiction but my preferred fiction is based on factual events. Unless it's pure space opera!!

I do like good historical fiction (Stephen Lawhead comes to mind), but I think I'm at about 9 to 1 history to fiction.
    I think the last actual fantasy I read was Lord of the Rings! I loved it, but it inspired me to read about English history not other fantasy.

And errr, I'm familiar with "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles" as primary source material for early medieval English History (Alfred the Great era). I'm guessing there's a connection?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Bernard Cornwell is an awesome author.

However I am currently reading (I read about 5 books on the go...)

To my class at the end of the day "Stig of the dump"

With my class together "Clockwork"

On my phone "Lone Wolf books 1 to 5" You will not believe how good these books are on your phone... You can't cheat!

On the bedside "Autocracy" Okay it's a transformer comic...

In the bathroom "Fear to tread" Horus Heresy

Although I have just read life of Pi and Gentlemen of the road.

Gentlemen of the road is an obscure one. It is written by Michael Chabon, aparently a pulitzer prize winner, but not heard of him until I read this book.

Life of Pi I devoured in about 4 sessions. 3 sessions taken reading the slow start of the book... 1 session after he finally gets stuck on the boat... Very good :)
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited March 2013
    atcDave said:

And errr, I'm familiar with "The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles" as primary source material for early medieval English History (Alfred the Great era). I'm guessing there's a connection?

Yes; the series is set in that period, but Alfred isn't the king we all know and love...

I also have to agree that Stephen Lawhead did an interesting job with the 'Taliesin' and 'Silver Hand' series.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Lords of Chaos
    the rise of the Black Metal underground, primarily in Norway