Skip to content

Average BG gamer age

Comments

• XasilXasil Member Posts: 47
    I like how people say "I'm X years old but in a couple of months I'll be X+1 years old!!".. O' RLY!!? haha
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125

I started playing the BG series in college with SoA, then played ToB. Went back for BG1 a few years later :)
  • KageDeltaKageDelta Member Posts: 14
    When I was a young lad my father worked in the gaming industry. His company had a whole box of BG1 and he took two copies home and gave it to me. I am now 23 and my father and I have played BG1&2 at least four total play throughs already. I wouldn't be the gamer I am today without this game.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @KageDelta: That sure sounds nice. :)
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    46 here; played the Gold Box series, survived the Great CRPG Drought of '91-'98, then BG1 revived the genre. Ah, the good times of alt.games.baldurs-gate! I still run through BG1 every now and then... and now BGEE has finally given me a reason to get a tablet!
    seekaNWN_babaYaga
  • SixSix Member Posts: 33
    Seeing how old and complex the game is I am really surprised to see so many younglings here.
    31 myself and have played games since the 80's.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113

Damn, I just turned 25. Bumped up one poll category is like a gentle slap in the face. :P

I hear ya..turned 35 3 days ago..yikes 40 is creeping up GULP!! :-)

• LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    I am 32, played BG1 summer 1999, was 19 years old.
    First game played with D&D rules was Eye of the Beholder, then I fell in love with BG1
    chickenhedTr_ond
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    wow, younger crowd here than I would have guessed.
    chickenhed
  • XasilXasil Member Posts: 47
    I don't remember how old I was when I played the game for the first time, I don't even recall clearing it entirely cause I would always start a new character. First time I played I got in the map with basilisk and was wondering what was killing me since I did'nt see anything. Then I went up a few maps and got 1 shot by Ankhegs lol
    MoomintrollNWN_babaYaga
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    Being in the 25-29 bracket hurts my heart a little.

Makes sense that most people fall there, though.
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    edited August 2012
    20, discovered BG like 4 years ago, started playing 3 years ago (i was skeptical)... The only thing i regret is losing 1 year till i tried it, and of course, loved it.
    Post edited by raclariu on
    MachineOfLight
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168

Damn, I just turned 25. Bumped up one poll category is like a gentle slap in the face. :P

Try being in the "40+" camp... there are no higher poll categories... :-P

• GLenGLen Member Posts: 20
    middle age forum haha ;)
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    32 here.. Quite some age already ;)
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    My sympathies @Rann!
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    "40 +" aka ancient
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    That great moment when you are no longer in the "Under 20" category!
  • XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    I remember hearing about the game in a tv program which reviewed books, games and comics back in '98. My first thought was that it was just a cheap copy of Diablo with the ability to play 6 characters in a party. Then I tried it at a friends place a few months later and I was permanently hooked. I think I own around 4-5 retail versions (both original and new re-packages/collections) because I was afraid the cd's would eventually stop working.

Now it makes me so happy to see there's finally a digital and enhanced version coming out, bringing the game I love the most into the new millenium. Love the freedom BG1 offers over BG2 as that game is more set in stone :)
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Well I was around 16 when I first started playing it, 23 now.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

That great moment when you are no longer in the "Under 20" category!

I wish I was in the category of "Under 20".... I wanna cry... !!!

MoomintrollKlonoa
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375

14, kids my age just don't appreciate great "old" games as much anymore...

True enough, but think also that us 20-30 yr olds were close to your age when we 1st played the game. :)
  • DragothDragoth Member Posts: 9
    I'm 20 years old, I think that I started playing Infinity engine games 7-8 years ago. And of course BG1 is one of my favourite game of all my life :)
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    28 here.. Started playing BG some 12 years ago or so.. memory is rather hazy when it comes to that :p
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    22 here played whenever my dad was at work and was not at school. I was really expecting there to be way more people age 30+
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    I was like 9 when I started playing, but my Uncle was the one who introduced me to the game and he is in his 50's
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    I was 40+ when BG1 first came out. From the opening clip I was hooked.

Hey, I dealt with reality 12 hours a freaking day then and still do. TV was 35 channels of BS. Today there are lots more channels but so little of it is worth watching. Keep your reality shows. Give me pure fantasy.

THIS is what I had been looking for for a very long time. I don't have the discs anymore but have thought many times about buying them again from wherever I could get them. Now I don't have to with the EE release coming up. I can't tell you how excited I am.
    KnettgummichickenhedTr_ond
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    I played them as a grown up. At the time they came out I wasn't into D&D based RPGs, since I only got into those when I played Neverwinter Nights. A few years later, I bought a a copy of Baldur's Gate: 4 in 1 Boxset.
  • unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    Wow, 2/3 of the fans here had to have their parents drive them to "software etc." to buy the game when it was new (if they first played it in 98' that is).
    lansounet
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I voted 25-29, as I am 26 and I played all of the games shortly after they came out. However, that's also because I was raised both into PC gaming and in part to Dungeons and Dragons. I'd say the generation is more fitting for 28-34, as learning the AD&D 2.0 Core Rules can be difficult for an eleven year old if you have no prior experience with Dungeons and Dragons.