Skip to content

[MOD] Psionics Unleashed ver. 0.3 (new update; bg2ee support)

Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
edited November 2013 in General Modding
Psionics Unleashed is a BGII mod that aims to add a fully functional psionic system and psionic character classes based on 3.5 ed. Dungeons & Dragons. Because of the nature of the Infinity Engine and because Baldur's Gate games are based on the 2nd ed. of AD&D, this reproduction couldn't be 100% faithful and some compromises had to be made along the way.

The mod works with Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldurs Gate II: ToB and the following conversions: (Easy)TUTU, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Classic Adventures.
PSION: Psionics is the art of tapping the mind's potential and the psion is its master. Unlike a priest or wizard, the psion relies on no outside energies to give him power. His power comes from within: he alone gives it shape. He depends on the intense and continual study of his own mind to unlock its full potential. As long as his mind and body are rested (that is, as long as he has not depleted his power points) his powers are available to him.

Advantages:
- Uses a special power point-based "spellcasting" system.
- Gains bonus power points for a high inteligance score.
- Can wear light armor (armor does not interfere with manifesting powers).

Disadvantages:
- Cannot wear helmets.
- Can only use the following weapons: spears, quarterstaff, crossbows, clubs and daggers.
- Is recognized as a mage.

Visit mod forum at SHS

image image image
image image image
Post edited by Kwiat_W on
TomeNifftzupskymlneveseKamigoroshiHaHaCharadeGriegIllustairDarksheerArchaicGrammarsaladWilburSpaceInvaderNoobaccaJuliusBorisov

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Kwiat_W Just tested your mod in the OSX version and it works perfectly using a symlink to dialok.tlk and the lates build of Weidu for OSX as shown in the Installing Mods in OSX thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16334/installing-mods-in-osx-a-quick-tutorial

Maybe you could consider a OSX install script in your next version?
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Awesome, can't wait to try this out! :D
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    It works great! Now I enjoy it more, because I'm not overwhelmed with tons of abilities that you get starting bg2 with 7lvl. Now I can discover it step by step.
    Will you allow other people to translate it to their language?
    Illustair
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013
    Awesome, I will test it directly ;) Thanks
    Is there are plan to do the psychic warrior too ?
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    Was the original mod designed to work with psionic monsters as well?
  • kwieciakwiecia Member Posts: 2
    mlnevese said:

@Kwiat_W Just tested your mod in the OSX version and it works perfectly using a symlink to dialok.tlk and the lates build of Weidu for OSX as shown in the Installing Mods in OSX thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16334/installing-mods-in-osx-a-quick-tutorial

Maybe you could consider a OSX install script in your next version?

Macs in Poland are more rare than polar bears, last time I saw one was +10 years ago. I know nothing about OSX and have no desire to learn, but I will gladly add an OSX installation package if someone can provide me with:

a) files that I could just drag and drop to every new release of PU,
    b) installation instructions I could add to the readme.

I will need this for both the BGEE and BG2, preferably I would like to have it done in a way that would allow for one OSX installation package (just like I have only one installation package for windows).
    zupsky said:

Will you allow other people to translate it to their language?

If anybody wants to translate my mod to any language they don't have to ask for permission, I will always gladly add new translations.
    Darkersun said:

Is there are plan to do the psychic warrior too ?

Yes, it's the next feature on my to-do list.
    mars0124 said:

Was the original mod designed to work with psionic monsters as well?

No, and thou I would like to see psionic monsters use new psionic powers, currently I don't have any plans to change it, because a) I don't know if I will be any good at combat AI scripting, b) for now I want to focus on the core features of the mod (psion and psionic powers).
    Illustair
  • Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    Damn, I used the wrong account. Anybody can tell me whom should I contact to delete/deactivate/ban my old account, so that I wouldn't make that mistake again?
    Psychic Warrior, AWESOME. Cant wait (its my favorite D&D class)! THX for all the nice work.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180

No, and thou I would like to see psionic monsters use new psionic powers, currently I don't have any plans to change it, because a) I don't know if I will be any good at combat AI scripting, b) for now I want to focus on the core features of the mod (psion and psionic powers).
    Not as a pressure thing, but why not reach out to someone like @DavidW (SCS mod) and get a conversation going? The best things in life are produced by a team to complement each others abilities.

But if you just want to focus on the core powers, I hear you. Do what you need to do! I'm excited to see if it'll work on the iPad (will test today).
    Kwiat_W said:

Damn, I used the wrong account. Anybody can tell me whom should I contact to delete/deactivate/ban my old account, so that I wouldn't make that mistake again?

Contact Aosaw or Nathan.

Losgorn
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Just wanted to let You know that translation into polish has just begun - thanks @Kwiat_W:). No ETA cause I just started and will be doing it in free time and not every day. So to anyone interested - please be patient.
    @Kwiat_W Sorry for taking so long. Here are the files for an OSX version of the installation. No changes need to be made in your mod.
    @Kwiat_W I just noticed a typo in the script in my zip file above. You'll have to edit the script to start with ./weidu instead of weidu.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Cool. I have to agree with @zupsky, now I can better appreciate it too by starting from the very beginning. By the way, is there a general version of a psion wherein I don't have to choose a specialization? I would want to test out all the psionic powers.
    @Illustair There wasn't one in PnP. I don't know about the mod.
    Illustair
    Oh I see. I doubt that there'd be then; the author said he'd like the mod to be true to PnP as possible. I still wish there would be one though, please @Kwiat_W? Even with a huge class penalty.:-)
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Erudite class from 3rd edition could be a viable option, though it could be somewhat difficult to implement. They don't choose specialization, but have difficulties on acquiring those powers (they have to find someone who has the power). The class is from 3.5 edition Expanded Psionics Handbook, but can also be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b
    Illustair
    For testing purposes I have made a kit that have access to all powers, but it's locked in the mod versions I publish.
    To unlock it you have to edit the "w_psdis.d" with a text editor, find line number 12:

//IF ~Global("W_DISCIP","LOCALS",0)~ THEN REPLY @307 GOTO None

uncomment it. Save the file, reinstall the mod. When you are asked to choose psionic discipline select "none".
    baten
    Awesome. Thanks for that. It's not that I would want to create an overpowered character. it's just that sometimes, I feel that there's nothing exceptional for PC; you're even most likely outclassed by some NPCs. By becoming a psionic...a psion that has more access to powers than anyone of its kind. It feels now you truly are worthy of the story.;p
    Just out of interest how is the Psychic Warrior coming along? :) Love the mod, but would enjoy some melee skills to go with psionic awesomeness!
    Modding is on hold for at least two more weeks, as I'm dealing with some personal stuff right now. If you know this class from p&p D&D I would like to hear your (and anybody else interested in pw) opinion on what powers you would like to see in my mod.
  • batenbaten Member Posts: 9
    All the claws attacks
    All Venom Powers
    All Dragon's Breaths
    All Body Powers
    Kwiat in your guide, it is said that all the precog (def and att) last for one turn. Should it be scaling with the level?
    And also make PW base on monk (plus the wisdom modifier) instead of mage.
    :)
    edited March 2013
    Hope your personal stuff is nothing too strenuous. :)

Suggestions for Psychic Warrior:

Hit Dice: 1d8

Advantages:

Psionic Warrior powers
    Can become specialized in any weapon.
    Gains additional power points dependent on Wisdom.

Disadvantages:

No helmets (but Ioun stones allowed)
    Slower power point gain.

Power list: choose favourite from here:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powerList.htm#psychicWarriorPowers

Another class that could be interesting is the Soulknife, although it's not as impressive powerwise as psion or psychic warrior so it might be a good idea to give it low level psionic powers (perhaps in a similar vein to a bard's spells)

A fighter/psion multiclass would also be really cool, but it's probably difficult to implement.

Thanks for all the work you must have put into this mod!
  • zadkielmodelerzadkielmodeler Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for this mod. Anyway you can link to the download page on SHS here? like so

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1037-psionics-unleashed/

Also, if you know a good tutorial that you can recommend on how to make your own custom classes/subclasses (i.e. Warlock) I am all ears.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I will have to check this out when I "unvanilla" BGEE!
  • KenzeKenze Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2013
    look forward to the psiwarrior too
  • absinthiaabsinthia Member Posts: 1
    just installed the mod on bg:ee, but cant see any kit description... when i select it, make a char and begin playing, i get a lot of missing strings :/ i see that weidu.exe is also in the zip, do i have to do something with that? if so...what???
    You don't have to trouble yourself with weidu.exe. The mod by default installs itself only for english language, are you playing with language set to english in the game options? If the answer is "yes" and you didn't change anything in "BGEE-w_psionics_unleashed.bat" then it looks like the strings were not added to the dialog.tlk, reinstalling the mod should fix it.
  • windslayerwindslayer Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2013
    This a most wonderful kit mod I've seen in years! Seriously thank you for letting us have the chance to play as a psion. Looking forward for a final version.

In BGEE, if you save&load quick it is possible to lose the powers(spells). This happens real often and will only restore after resting. I assume this happens because I didn't leave enough time for the script to process itself. (The same reason you can't load and exit map too fast I suppose? )If I save and wait for a period of time before loading then it will be fine.

I wonder if you could add another special ability to check if the powers are correct and if not modify them to normal. This is just a suggestion based on no modding experiences.

Also, the grease spell costs nothing though the description states it costs one point.

Really like your mods.
    Post edited by windslayer on
    JuliusBorisov