Skip to content

Baldur`s gate MEME Thread * Spoilers all over the place*

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Kaltzor said:

It has to be said: this kinda works with Stoneskin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Bhaaldog said:

Hmm need a specific type of moonlight to reveal forum posts made in Dwarven Runes...
    Work in progress! LOL
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Bhaaldog said:

Hmm need a specific type of moonlight to reveal forum posts made in Dwarven Runes...
    Soon...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

AHF said:

And pretty much equally easy to tank with any other weapon as with the moonblade.

The moonblade is a d8+3 weapon and gives Xan higher AC and fire resistance. What weapon could possibly be better for him to melee with?
    It is a fine melee weapon for a 7 Con mage. The fire resistance is almost entirely irrelevant to melee combat, the 1 point of AC is useful but unlikely to be a real difference maker, and as a weapon it is superior to non-staff of striking weapons but point is that all this edge doesn't amount anything significant.

I just picked up a level 6 Xan and he has 17 hit points, an AC equivalent to having a 17 Dex (16 Dex + moonblade), and no strength bonus giving him a 16 thac0. His ability to melee (and that of every other mage) is not about the moonblade - it is almost entirely about buffs and spells (mirror image, stoneskin, fireshield, potions, etc.). After the buffing, his ability to melee amounts to an average of 2 additional points of damage per round over a staff +1 wielded by a 17 strength mage.

So the moonblade is an advantage but it amounts to only a bit more than a nice cup holder in a racecar. You'd rather have the nice cup holder but the success of the car doesn't depend on that (in our analogy the tires, engine, etc. are the buffs and spells). Others are free to disagree. I am not trying to dump on Xan but I just don't buy him as materially more of a melee character over other mages by virtue of the moonblade.

In any event, I think this has taken up entirely too much of a digression for a meme thread filled by much funnier posts so I am happy to continue by PM or in another thread if anyone wants more discussion.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2013
    Modded to be a Figther-Mage his Moonblade gets more useful (beter Thac0, benefitting from more Att/round, but at the loss of having to wait longer for buffs like mirror image, blur and I'm not even sure he can reach stoneskin within the level-cap (and too lazy to check now, sorry).

*edit: however, discussion is blatantly off-topic here, sorry no. 2 ;-).
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Foggy said:

Best 60 pages on the internet! Gotta make a little contribution

I didn't got it.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    CoryNewb said:

Mocking FF is always good to me.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

Foggy said:

Best 60 pages on the internet! Gotta make a little contribution

I didn't got it.
    Wizard Slayers Suck
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @AHF
    *shrug* Think of the Moonblade like a free touch spell. If I could equip Xzar with a permanent Chill Touch I totally would.
    edited March 2013
This discussion has been closed.