Skip to content

The most ridiculous stats you have rolled for a Baldur's Gate character?

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    18/74, 18, 18, 17, 18, 18

on a Human Stalker, within 5-10 rerolls
    I felt quite smug about it
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I can't remember the numbers but for my first ever character in the franchise I made a kensai with most points in wisdom and intelligence, not sure if that's what the TC meant by "ridiculous" though.
  • Sick_BoySick_Boy Member Posts: 20
    Rolling for stats is a part a Baldur's Gate that I don't like at all, I feel like I were farming in a korean grinder game. In my last playthoughs I just use Ctrl + Shift + 8 and set manually a reasonable stats for my PC.

For my playthough in BGEE with an assasin, I'll use 95 stats points, just like my brother Sarevok has:

str: 8 (there are gloves of 18/00 str, so who cares about this stat)
    dex: 18
    con: 16
    wis: 18
    int: 17
    cha: 18
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    @Sick_Boy doesn't BG predate like 90% of MMOs? It came out the same year as Lineage, after all. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that korean grinders based their gameplay on Baldur's Gate's stat rolling?
  • aggrakaggrak Member Posts: 2
    My best was like:
    str:18/00
    dex:18
    con:18
    wis, int and cha 15-18
    took me like 3-4 hours to get and i was pretty stunned at the result, especially the 18/00 which is really hard to get.
    Now days i use one of the cheatprograms to get the exact stats i want (which is usally 18/00 in str and 18 in con and the others reasonable but not over the top.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It was actually pretty spooky - I'd just read Roman Grigoriev's guide on designing Sorcerers for BG, and on my first try I rolled exactly the recommended stats:

8 STR
    18 DEX
    16 CON
    18 INT
    18 WIS
    10 CHA
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Aranneas said:

@Sick_Boy doesn't BG predate like 90% of MMOs? It came out the same year as Lineage, after all. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that korean grinders based their gameplay on Baldur's Gate's stat rolling?

I have agreed just for the cool pic inside

Otherwise, I've just tested ranger/cleric. Within 20 minutes I had 98 and 18/79... But I shall never cheat for stats (I never did. I did some ctrl+y thought, for the sake of boredom). It's part of the game. It reminds me as a kid, when I spend hours at it. Nowadays, I don't. I just click 4 times per second, with a hyper kynetical vision to see if any roll is under 14 xD xD
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    8 str
    10dex
    7 con
    9 int
    13 wis
    18cha

worst so far i have seen
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 42
    I tend to dump points to balance out 10,10,10,10,10,10, then use the leftover. I once had 34 leftover. I distributed it as follows for a Generalist Elf Wizard:

STR:10
    DEX:19
    CON:17
    INT:18
    WIS:18
    CHA:12

I like that kinda build. There is a ring for CHA (Which I hope has more use in EE), and tons of stuff for STR, plus a Strength Spell lasts 8 hours.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    edited July 2012
    Best I ever had was my human fighter:

STR: 18/00
    DEX: 18
    CON: 18
    INT: 14
    WIS: 15
    CHA: 17

He was a BG2 character, though, so no stat books. I haven't remade him in BG successfully yet. I'm saving that for BG:EE!

Oh, by the way: There's no point in having above 16 CON unless you're a Warrior-class (Paladin, Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian, or multi-class thereof).
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @lDanielHolm : I think gnomes, dwarves and halflings get saving throw bonuses with constitution over 16 though :)
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    @lDanielHolm and at 20 you get regeneration. Which is very useful even for bard or thief. But in BG2 engine it was toned down... so probably not worth it anymore :)
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Without changing absolutely anything about what I rolled, I one time rolled this:

Not 18's, no. But still an incredibly cool set up :P
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Medillen said:

@lDanielHolm and at 20 you get regeneration. Which is very useful even for bard or thief. But in BG2 engine it was toned down... so probably not worth it anymore :)

True, but that's only relevant if you have 18 CON and get both the manual of bodily health and use Lum the Mad's machine in Watcher's Keep (or if you're a dwarf and get either of the +1 increases). +2 is maximum, AFAIK, so 17 CON for a mage is almost pointless. (Unless you want to equip the claw of Kazgoroth, I suppose... then 18 works.)

That ignores multiple playthroughs with the same character, of course.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    I ususally play an Elf multi-class Fighter/Mage/Thief and spend forever and a half to get a decent roll.
    I never keep anything under a 16 average.
    However what I usually roll for is:
    18+ for the first 2 stats
    17+ for the next 2
    16+ for the last 2

But the best I ever did without a little point tinkering was:

STR: 18/00
    DEX: 19
    CON: 17
    INT: 17
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 16
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    I'm sorely tempted for my first BG:EE playthrough to just click the roll button once and live with the result!
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    This comes to mind 18/00 19 17 10 14 10 (elven archer). I never spent more than 10 minutes rolling though so they might not be that impressive to others but I kept them because it was the first time I had rolled a 18/00 without giving it through an editor :)
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2012
    Photobucket

Human warrior
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    For a thief, so since this moment I roll and roll and roll to get that.

STR: 18
    DEX: 19
    CON: 17
    INT: 16
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 18
  • DaveRoidDaveRoid Member Posts: 26
    Rolling for beginning stats is one of my favorite parts of BG. and it is very unique in games as well since I have not seen something like this in any other game?

Whats the max count it could possibly be? 108 or all 18?
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    The problem with the "roll just once and live with the results" approach is that you choose your class prior to rolling, which really makes it impossible to build your character around those stats.

Although I suppose you could always start out by rolling your stats using actual dice.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    Samiel said:

Strength: 19
    Dexterity: 19
    Constitution: 19
    Intelligence: 12
    Wisdom: 18 (There were two wisdom boosting tomes if you know where to look!)
    Charisma: 19

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/equipment/tomes.php

There are three tomes that boost wisdom, if you had the expansion.
  • patbakerpatbaker Member Posts: 21
    its been so long but I think I had 98 total after hours of rolling for paladin
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    IIRC my best roll ever was 98. It was a Blade or a ranger, I believe.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Sick_Boy said:

Rolling for stats is a part a Baldur's Gate that I don't like at all, I feel like I were farming in a korean grinder game. In my last playthoughs I just use Ctrl + Shift + 8 and set manually a reasonable stats for my PC.

For my playthough in BGEE with an assasin, I'll use 95 stats points, just like my brother Sarevok has:

str: 8 (there are gloves of 18/00 str, so who cares about this stat)

For any character who is likely to melee I try to go for 18 Strength, as that means you can boost it to 19 with a tome, which is great, *especially* for non-fighter types (e.g. Cleric, Swashbucker, Blade) which can't benefit from 18/xx strength
    I can't remember, though I usually keep the best of 10 rolls and try to live with that, unless they're all *really* bad
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Like I wrote earlier 97 is the best I've ever gotten. For a non-ranger character it is 95 on a swashbuckler.
    BTW it's easier to get high rolls with certain race/class combinations, because the class/race minimums in effect add to your rolls in the BG engine, this is why an elf ranger is the easiest class to roll high stats for.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

BTW it's easier to get high rolls with certain race/class combinations, because the class/race minimums in effect add to your rolls in the BG engine, this is why an elf ranger is the easiest class to roll high stats for.

Likewise half-elf Bards are pretty easy to get above 90 rolls with as well.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    I managed to get a total sum of 100 for a human paladin once long ago. I think I'll spend quite a while rolling for good attributes before I get to play BGEE finally. But getting 100 again might be quite optimistic...