Skip to content

Wyvern (normal or greater) death causing crash

2»

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Thank you Nyxl. If we bought the game directly from Beamdog, then where would the 'override' folder most likely be?

I can find the saves etc in the 'My Documents' folder, but I cant seem to find where the root directory is located.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If you use the standalone launcher and installed it in the default location, Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.

If you use the Beamdog client, look in Settings -> Download Locations -> Configure.
    franco
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    But note, @franco, that the Override folder is not automatically created by a default installation, so you'll probably need to create it for yourself. Just make sure you create it where @Jalily says, then you can copy the fix into it and all should be well.
    franco
    Thank you Jalily and Gallowglass. I think I found the location, and I created the 'override' folder.

I've figured out how to place an alternative portrait into the "Portrait" folder to customize an alternative image for the Charname PC.

...and I've read that one can place an alternative portrait for an NPC in the party into the "override" folder.
    Is that correct? and do I have to give the portrait a specific name?
    Yes. You have to name the portraits by adding S, M, or L (for each size) to the NPC's prefix:

Ajantis AJANTIS
    Alora ALORA
    Branwen BRANWE
    Coran CORAN
    Dorn DORN
    Dynaheir DYNAHEI
    Edwin EDWIN
    Eldoth ELDOTH
    Faldorn FALDORN
    Garrick GARRICK
    Imoen IMOEN
    Jaheira JAHEIRA
    Kagain KAGAIN
    Khalid KHALID
    Kivan KIVAN
    Minsc MINSC
    Montaron MONTAR
    Neera NEERA
    Quayle QUAYLE
    Rasaad RASAAD
    Safana SAFANA
    Shar-teel SHARTEL
    Skie SKIE
    Tiax TIAX
    Viconia VICONIA
    Xan XAN
    Xzar XZAR
    Yeslick YESLICK

The prefix for the spoiler character is just his name.
    Mant thanks. I was able to enter new portraits for Coran and Imoen on your advice (I always disliked the original portrait of Coran).
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I had a random encounter with 2 large wyverns. When I killed the first one, the game just shut down.

After a reload I reached the big cave, I lured 1 big and 2 small Wyverns outside, and when I killed the big one the game froze with a small blue "wheel" loading on the screen. I couldn't do anything except ctrl+alt+del

Sorry if this is already a known problem, but I couldn't find any info
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    It is a known problem and you will be merged. Once you do get merged you will find a temporary fix in the thread you got merged into. Try downloading that to see if it works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The link for the fix is here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/282088/#Comment_282088

@Samus I recall reading that this bug only affected people who had an ATI graphics card. You may have a different one...
    Thanks for the info

Guess I skip the cave for now =)
    Just download the fix and the cave should work just fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • crunchydemoncrunchydemon Member Posts: 1
    Jalily said:

If you use the standalone launcher and installed it in the default location, Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.

I'm actually pretty handy with computers. I'm very comfortable with moving folders etc. What I don't understand is the above file system path for this fix.

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data\

There was no "override" folder with the Steam install, and neither was there a 00766 folder.

Do I need to create a folder named "00766" and a folder named "override" to put that .zip file into?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @crunchydemon No. Create the override folder in the same folder your chitin.key file is, then unzip the fix and copy the files to the override folder. The game can't read zipped files.
  • amorphisamorphis Member Posts: 1
    Thank u very much mlnvese. You saved my day! I bought the game from steam, followed your instructions and it fixed the crush : ) Also thanks to miloch for the debug file.
    @Lindeblom. If you killed the Wyvern while standing on the right side of it, the game can crash if there is no fix file. It has to do with the program attempting to divide by zero. I adjusted tactics and killed them from the left side. No crash anytime I did this. I still haven't added the fix, but probably should.
    edited May 2013
    franco said:

@Lindeblom. If you killed the Wyvern while standing on the right side of it, the game can crash if there is no fix file. It has to do with the program attempting to divide by zero. I adjusted tactics and killed them from the left side. No crash anytime I did this. I still haven't added the fix, but probably should.

I have tried to kill them from left with some success, but I have also had some crashes =/. In the big cavern in Durlags Tower, I made sure they were killed out of sight to solve the problem =). Get them down to almost dead, run away and let the "statues" kill them. I tried to apply the fix, but to be honest, my computer skills suck. On the other hand I am an excellent kisser!

I can see that by your avatar.
    What me worry???

That missing tooth makes the women go craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!
  • CRAZEDMRMCRAZEDMRM Member Posts: 1
    This may be a dumb question but how do i download or extract that file with the temporary fix?
    @CRAZEDMRM Click on the zip file in Miloch's post, and you should be prompted to download it. You'll need to have a file archiver program like WinRAR or 7-Zip installed in order to extract its contents. (If you're on Windows, you then right-click the zip file and choose the extraction option from the menu.) Put the contents in your 00766\override folder.
  • barakaryubarakaryu Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the helpful info on this subject. I tried all sorts of ways on handling the wyverns in the cave without crashing the game, at least a dozen tries, but all with the same result. It was mentioned here that it was the actual death animation that caused the crash, which got me thinking.

So I fought the wyverns again, but this time after giving my party commands with the game paused, I went into a npc's inventory and twiddled my thumbs while my party slew all the wyverns. It worked! Problem solved.
    Jalily