Skip to content

Which D&D game do you want remastered next after the Baldur's Gate series?

Comments

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    I want a true revival of the genre and that means new great games in the spirit of Baldur's Gate. I hope what Beamdog is doing with BGEE is building up a talented team and a solid technical basis with which they will bring us brand new awesome.

Slightly polished repackaging of games we've been playing for more than a decade is ok if those games are the Baldur's Gate series, but I wouldn't extend the favor to any other titles.
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    Either PS:T either BGIII :) IWD series won't be bad though :)
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I wish more were interested in Pool of Radiance and Temple of Elemental Evil as these have the most to benefit from a remaster or remake.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I actually wouldn't mind a new IP, like a DARKSUN game.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    PS:T... then BG3.

Torment is so great, but I haven't had a system that could run it in years. My original copy was unplayably buggy on my last PC, and I sold that computer and have been using only Macs since before GOG relaunched the game. :(
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2012
    I don,t see WotC allowing someone to make agame about an universe that is dead they have no product to sell about like DarkSun or Ravenloft
  • DecayOfSoulsDecayOfSouls Member Posts: 21
    I picket Torment because I think the game could use some engine updates/enhancements more than IWD needs. The only reason I didn't pick BG3 is because I want the team to have plenty of money to work with if/when they decide to develop a BG3.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Why abandon Icewind Dale over anything else? BG3 can wait, Planescape I have no personal interest in and I'd rather Neverwinter Nights be enhanced after everything else.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Wah, the poll made me choose between P:T and EoB! :(
    I was quite torn about it, but Planescape eventually won. I couldn't resist Morte's pleading eye-sockets. :D
    Wow Eye of the Beholder series has no votes, well it was a long shot as many haven't played it because how old it is.
  • DreamDream Member Posts: 52
    If they do Torment EE they could probably get Avelone to come in and help. He's recently been caught saying he's considering doing a kickstarter to try and fund Torment 2, and a Torment EE would certainly be a good way to build hype for that.

Also it's my favorite game of all time.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    wariisop said:

Wow Eye of the Beholder series has no votes, well it was a long shot as many haven't played it because how old it is.

One vote... From me

• LorfeanLorfean Member Posts: 43
    Well, I kinda want to wait and see how this one turns out first, but an interesting question in regards to potential future remasters is: did Black Isle/Interplay "lose" all their assets for Planescape: Torment and the Icewind Dale games in the same way BioWare did with BG/BG2's?

Because if they didn't -- and really, there's no reason to assume they did (different company and all) -- then proper HD versions of those games could actually be possible, and those would definitely be at the top of my list!
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    My problem with planescape torment:

Icewind dale has a little bit of dialog which makes the plot suffer.
    Baldurs gate has a lot of dialog which give it a good plot/combat balance.
    Planescape Torment has so much god damn reading, ill never finish this book.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Jolanthus said:

wariisop said:

One vote... From me
    Two now! :P

Though in all seriousness, EoB is a totally different game with it's Tilebased 3D perspective. I think the team wants to work with the engine they currently prepped up, so BG2, IWD, IWD2 should be a lot easier to complete than having to dig into and adapt another engine. Does PS:T use the same engine?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513

I'd like to see a Planescape EE, and with less restrictions than BGEE. I want to see all those great character models, backgrounds and spells in hi res, and improved combat. And more content in Curst and other late game areas, but Chris Avellone left some big shoes to fill as far as writing goes.

Totally agreed!
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Torment baby, I need me a mort fix!!! I luv that disembodied skull!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'm torn about this - on the one hand, an Enhanced Edition of "Planescape Torment" would be quite a coup and could potentially introduce a new generation of players to this wonderful game... but I honestly can't think of anything relating to plot or characters that I'd want changed. Unlike the "Baldur's Gate" series, every NPC in "Planescape Torment" serves a function and has a direct relationship to the protagonist, so I don't think adding characters would improve on that (as it is, you have to make a difficult choice between Nordom, Ignus and Vhailor towards the end). Taking into account Qwinn's tweaks and the Unfinished Business mod, there are practically no loose ends that absolutely need to be addressed, and the length of the journey is just right - I wouldn't see the point in adding more dungeons or quests.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Thels: Yes, "Planescape Torment" uses the Infinity Engine. :)
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    I voted for bg3. I would love to get new-old school rpg. I don't think it is possible though with the current state of game developer's mindstate.... remasters are always good if original concept is not changed....
  • Jaxx86Jaxx86 Member Posts: 26
    Icewind Dale with 2nd edition rules plz.
  • kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
    Eye of the Beholder in the style of the Icewind Dale series would be good as well.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Remakes of a lot of the old boxed games would be pretty sweet. Failing that BG3 straight up.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    More forgotten realms!

I would love to see IWD put into the BGEE engine.

A dream would be to see IWD and IWD2 remastered in an updated IWD2 engine (tweaked form 3e to 3.5)

If they made a BG3, brand new game with story and such it would most likely have to use the 4e(/5e?) rules and likewise that systems FR timeline...Do Not Want.
    So it looks like this board wants BG III and then wants Planescape Torment next, though it would probably be better to make PST first. Hopefully BG: series remake is successful.
  • AniosAnios Member Posts: 91
    Damn can't vote for all ! :p
  • JozapeJozape Member Posts: 12
    A new game/BG3. BGEE will be nice to play, but I've already played it and the sequel. We desperately need new quality RPG experiences, more so than the classics need updating.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    I go for a new bg but I wouldn't mind a remaster of neverwinter either
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416

If they made a BG3, brand new game with story and such it would most likely have to use the 4e(/5e?) rules and likewise that systems FR timeline...Do Not Want.

I don't know enough about 5e, but 4e would be bad.

3rd is basically 2nd "improved", made balanced and a couple of reworked, easier to understand rules (for example, BaB is basically THAC0, but counting up, rather than down). Sure, it came with some changes, but you should have no problem converting your 2nd edition character to 3rd.

4th is a totally new game. It's impossible to convert your 2nd or 3rd edition character to 4th.

4th's engine would work quite well for an MMO, though, but that's a different story.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    IWD series, not because that's the one I like the most but simply because it's the most similar to BG series. It's the next logical step for Overhaul team to port it to their existing codebase after they're done with BG2EE. Though IWD2 might take some work, what with it's 3E ruleset.