Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• zekzek Member Posts: 3
    AbosluteFall - thanks!
    Changing colors to 16bit on Vista solved the problem.
    Only videos are indigestible but the game runs smoothly.

• AbsoluteFallAbsoluteFall Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2013
    Glad to hear that, anyway try my new fix. To proceed click this link, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/263958/#Comment_263958
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody has a workaround or solution for the "white surroundings" problem on Intel-Integrated GPU's for Windows 7?

Basically my problem looks like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/fI2X4Yw.jpg

I have the Steam version.
    I've tried run as admin for the .exe, disable the desktop composition & visual themes in properties > compatibility, tried copypasting the Graphics OpenGL ,1, stuff into the .ini file in My Docs/BGEE.... nothing.

I also tried changing the colour system to 16bit as opposed to 32 ("true color") but that made the problem worse.

I've tried running in windowed mode, shift+enter'ing back in... doesn't help.
    The menus etc are all fine. Inventory looks perfect, character sprites all loading fine, the "new" stuff (I.E. the missing parts of the sidebar) are all white, too. I have no idea if that is significant.

Anyway, I DO have my desktop to run it on, but I was hoping to take my laptop places and play BG:EE too.

Thanks in advance for any help

As far as I've seen (admittedly not much) I am suitably impressed. Although not to the tune of £15.... yet ;)
  • AbsoluteFallAbsoluteFall Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2013
    @Dantos4 Before you proceed at this thread, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11230/bug-white-textures-in-all-scenarios-windows-7-windows-8/p1 please, take note of the following. (See below)

Possible Fixes:

-Try to reinstall the same version of intel-graphics driver or upgrade to the latest one (OPTIONAL: Test and install the graphics drivers one-by-one starting from old to new version)
    -Disable 'Triple Buffering' on your intel-graphics settings
    Post edited by AbsoluteFall on
  • ZayneZayne Member Posts: 32
    Just a question: devs're still workin' on this problem, or noone actually cares?
  • PapastrumpfPapastrumpf Member Posts: 5
    Probably not. There was enough time to fix this problem, but devs probably don't care anymore as it affects only a small percentage of players. Cost effectiveness...

There is very (VERY) small chance that it will be fixed in BG2:EE.
    Ok, than I hope, I can play original version of game and noone will call it piracy
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Well the devs claimed to be doing real work on a solution, but I haven't heard anything in a while. I hope it gets fixed before BG2:EE otherwise I just won't bother from then on with the games. Even if it's a "we hope to have it fixed sometimes after BG2:EE releases", because I won't by the game on the chance they might fix it.
  • amarilloqlamarilloql Member Posts: 2
    FOLKS i FIXED the issue whit the slow gameplay. I fixed the baldurs.ini file and the game was at the same speed, so I entered in the Intel Graphics Control panel and i changed the Color Depth to 16 BIT. and now the game is not slow anymore.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1343/ayudabg.jpg

This is a screenshot guide of how i do. I hope that helps to the rest of you !!!
  • amarilloqlamarilloql Member Posts: 2
    FOLKS i FIXED the issue whit the slow gameplay. I fixed the baldurs.ini file and the game was at the same speed, so I entered in the Intel Graphics Control panel and i changed the Color Depth to 16 BIT. and now the game is not slow anymore.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1343/ayudabg.jpg

This is a screenshot guide of how i do. I hope that helps to the rest of you !!!
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    That actually does seem to make a noticeable difference. I didn't test it out much, but I did load up a couple games where I was in locations that had been running slow, but now it's running fine. Certain spell effects still bog things down though.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I have a Core Duo with family 4 Intel graphics on Windows 7 64.
    I was able to make the game playable by forcibly updating drivers as per Nathan recommendations and by editing the .ini file.
    I also modified the colors to 16 bits and use the Windows 95 compatibility for the .exe.
    I can play with full screen so even for old laptops like mine, I guess there's a workaround :) !
    Has there been any update from Beamdog/Overhaul on a possible solution? I haven't heard anything in quite a while.
  • anrulaanrula Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a intel core5 running Windows 7 64. I updated my drivers and it indeed helped with the general speed of the game. I had to leave the OpenGL in the baldur.ini file or I would get a big white screen. I would be very happy at this point, except that when I enter any buildings I get the inside of the building in the center of the screen and the outside is still showing. Any workarounds for that?
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    @Abel said:

I have a Core Duo with family 4 Intel graphics on Windows 7 64.
    I was able to make the game playable by forcibly updating drivers as per Nathan recommendations and by editing the .ini file.
    I also modified the colors to 16 bits and use the Windows 95 compatibility for the .exe.
    I can play with full screen so even for old laptops like mine, I guess there's a workaround :) !

Did you mean Core 2 Duo? Could you please click Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> System and note down your CPU model (Intel(R) Pentium (R) CPU B940 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz for instance).

Additionally, could you provide your full .ini file in between HTML <code> code tags </code> like so:

[contents of .ini file go here]
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes, I promise the devs are working on this. The fix requires a re-write of the renderer which was a huge effort, especially on top of all the other development happening at this time. We're getting there - don't give up hope!
    RedGuardermoAnduin
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the update @Cerevant. I don't really use twitter and was only coming on here for updates.
    @Cerevant, great news! Thanks in forward.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken it has been confirmed that the next patch will contain the new renderer, which will fix intel related issues, yes?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @sepotter that is correct.
  • slicknickslicknick Member Posts: 1
    I have had occasional crashes where the screen goes black and the only way out is to reboot the computer. I thought maybe my character saves were somehow corrupted so I tried a new character and it is the same thing. I am playing on the steam version.

windows xp 32 bit service pack 3
    intel core 2 duo 3.0 gigahertz
    3 gigs of ram
    video card is 7770 radeon

should I try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it? This is really frustrating.
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    Bitchin' I might be able to pay BG:EE now, maybe.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    slicknick said:

I have had occasional crashes where the screen goes black and the only way out is to reboot the computer.

Check your computer's innards for dust and clean it. Your GPU crashes because it's overheating.
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    I'm one of the folks who originally pre-ordered this BGEE back when it first came out. Needless to say, I was disappointed when it turned out my hardware was outdated: the game lagged horribly and was virtually unplayable.

After diving into the Beta today, though, I'm happy to say that the lag issues are completely gone. The new render works like magic. On a related note, the game is gorgeous! I guess patience really is a virtue: it took a year longer than I anticipated, but good things come to those who patiently bide their time.

For those who are curious, here are the specs for my 7-year old laptop:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.5GHZ

GPU: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

If the game works for me, I'm willing to wager that it'll work for most everyone else who was having problems similar to mine.
    darrenkuolekikinou33
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    No problem for me also with the open beta.
    The game is beautiful and playable, thanks fot this great work on this big problem :)
  • buddbudd Member Posts: 1
    the game is on sale on steam again. I have a hd 3000 intel integrated card with the latest intel drivers [driver was released just a few weeks ago] will the game run for me without issue with the beta patch? Is the patch available thru steam? I have a core I3 @ 2.23 w/8gigs of ram on WIn 7 64 . Not a big RPGer , but want to try BG out.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    My Intel 1.8GH dual core 64bit Windows 7 machine with 512mb dedicated video memory ran it without fault, but extremely sluggishly under the lowest settings before the patch. (it wont even start on my 1.06GH core duo 32bit integrated graphics machines). If there is a separate module for a Linux version in the works, how much greater compatibility would it be expected to have?
  • FoodgeekFoodgeek Member Posts: 12
    This explains why I have a slowdown when I cast certain spells (Entangle, Web, Stinking Cloud)? It does not happen if I cast a Sleep spell. It's annoying and affects gameplay since it is sometimes impossible to use those spells and manage combat at same time and they are helpful spells to use. I am not particularly computer savvy, so its a shame there isn't an easy fix for this.

-JFG
  • AshaiaAshaia Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Hello everyone!

I am new in this Forum and I am just wondering if it is possible to download the above mentioned, latest beta patch for BGEE somewhere and to install it? I have also a Notebook with an Intel 965 chip and graphical lag issues.

Thank you for your help.
    Post edited by Ashaia on
  • HogfatherHogfather Member Posts: 27
    Just a quick note.

I've never been able to play the EE on my Dell XPS12 ultrabook (instant crash on launch). I gave up a while back after messing with it a bit.

I bought a hard drive upgrade for it this week so I'm now using a fresh, clean installation of Windows rather than the standard Dell image. I was able to install the latest Intel reference drivers for Graphics following the instructions above to force the driver update (I actually uninstalled the driver I had first so it was just the stock MS driver).

The EE is now working flawlessly for me and actually looks a shitload BETTER than on my desktop that has a NVIDIA 560ti, in particular the fog is much nicer. Movies work fine, sound is fine, gfx look gorgeous.

So yeh my advice is to piss off the Dell image if you can. Everything is working fine (touch etc) without the Dell shit.