Skip to content

Black Pits FAQ / Guide

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EudaemoniumKidCarnivalRAM021
    EudaemoniumKidCarnivalRAM021
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Samus said:

Anduin said:

@kidcarnival I want you to come clean NOW! How many times have I died in this run? The number quoted is 476! As far as I remember I have only died once! And that was an accident!

And can you tell that Mindflayer @Southpaw to stop tapping my skull... I do not have an aged vintage brain in there! (It gets removed in the mummification process!)

Technically your undead @Anduin it means you do not die...
    Well... Yes... Technically... But I have feelings! Needs! I get acutely embarrassed if I have a leg chopped off! Plus the team forgot to send me a card last Mummies day!

With my mages I load up on melfs minute meteors before heading into the arena... It singes the ol' bandages but its worth it to put a mini meteor in the enemies button holes...

EudaemoniumKidCarnival[Deleted User]lolien
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    It's cozy inside this pack.
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]Anduin
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @Anduin: Be glad I recruited the Rakshasa. The alternative was a Carrion Crawler Barbarian!
    [Deleted User]EudaemoniumAnduinlolien
    Before the Ogre Mage battle, I re-did the thieves and avenger fights again to level up Eudaemonium and Southpaw, and to justify consoling the second Wizard Staff for Eudaemonium. He pretty much solo'd the druid by poisoning both the sword spider and druid, the rest of the party walked around and killed off confused mini spiders with Samus singing.

Before the Ogre Mage battle, I did the following to prepare:

Samus: purchases Burning Hands (memorized 3 x), Haste - general idea is that she goes invisible after buffing outside the arena and only breaks stealth in case there are trolls or slimes that need fire to kill.

Eye of Helm: purchases Gift of Peace to have some sort of tank resemblance - I kinda forgot to buy better armor for the frontliners and couldn't afford Full Plate or Plate +1; so yeah, resistances for the mephit weapons was the next best thing I could afford

Eudaemonium: purchases Invisibility 10", Short Bow +1, 160 arrows; console Wizard Staff Red; general idea is staying fully ranged; use the bow for the duration of poison weapon; then switch to staff and only melee if neccessary

Southpaw: memorizes Protection from Evil 10", Defensive Harmony

Ogre Magus & Portals
    Beholder Hint: Endless force of enemies; cut down supply.
    Reward: 65079 XP, 5500 gold
    Strategy: Buff outside with Chant, Protection from Evil 10", Haste, Invisibility 10". Opening moves after checking the first summons (1 slime, 1 quasit, rest various mephits; slime and mephit are the nearest): Southpaw casts Defensive Harmony; Eudaemonium casts Spell Thrust on Ogre Magus; hits the moment his defenses go up (lol'd a bit); FinneousPJ rushes the portal with the slime; targeting the portal. Eye of Helm rushes mephit portal, also targeting the portal. A second mephit moves closer, so Samus goes to sing on that side - the mephits attack each other (and are immune to each other's attacks, thanks a lot, fate). Southpaw summons a skeleton that immediately gets enfeebled, but still serves it's purpose to keep the quasit busy. Eudaemonium poisons weapon and targets the Ogre Magus; Anduin is busy Glitterdusting the mephits.
    So far, so good; all plans worked. Then things go a bit downhill... FinneousPJ gets enfeebled, but is standing between a pillar and a wall; the slime for some reason tries to get to the casters, but doesn't fit through. 90 HP rakshasa is amused and just stays where he is, casually hitting the slime with 5 strength. The portal is luckily already dead, as well as the one attacked by Eye of Helm, who moved on to the next portal. Left behind are 2 confused mephits that attack each other with their ineffective weapons; whatever, let them be for now. Samus moves closer to Ogre Magus, who fails casting until he gets out a Melf's and nearly kills Anduin, while the quasit interrupts Southpaw's second skelly casting. Samus moves closer to confuse the quasit, who returns to hitting the skeleton and confused mephits; Southpaw heals Anduin. Eye of Helm has successfully killed another portal, but also gathered a group of admiring followers - a flesh golem and 2 mephits, on the way to the last portal. The Ogre Magus dies, and Eudaemonium can target the slime - that still lives, for some reason. Guess 5 strength isn't enough to kill pudding. Anyway, after Laying Eyes, Eye of Helm can kill the last portal and start hitting the mephits; Southpaw's trusty hammer takes care of the golem; Anduin and Eudaemonium kill the still confused mephits and quasit, who still hadn't managed to kill the skeleton (lol).

In short, my backup plans about trolls and slimes were all for nothing; I didn't use a single fire spell in the battle. Only Eye of Helm got hit with Deafness, no level drains, and I feel I didn't get any really nasty summons. I'll probably do this battle again because this felt a bit... cheesy to cut through everything with the only tight spot being Anduin losing 2/3 health. Other than that, only the frontliners got injured - still half the HP at any given time. Having more deaf party members would suck a bit, so if I repeat this battle, I probably only document the strategy and re-load to the current game with all party members at level 6 - 7. If I re-do this battle, at least 3 would level up again.

Quest for Buttoned Cardigan Events
    Anduin: purchases and memorizes Greater Malison, Emotion Hopelessness
    Eudaemonium: purchases Remove Magic, Melf's Minute Meteors, Improved Invisibility (memorizes II)
    Eye of Helm: purchases Fallorain's Plate +1
    Turns out Anduin isn't angry with Southpaw after this battle. Quite the opposite; he seems to like Southpaw and has promised to create a statue of him once we are back in Baldur's Gate.

Eudaemonium[Deleted User]Anduinlolien
    Did ya see me? I had the poison and the glow staff and the-

Hey, why did it get dark so sudden?
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]Anduinlolien
    So... I did the Ogre Magus again twice. The first time, I got exactly the same summons as above, got no new Deafness, no enfeeblement, and the 2 frontliners killed the portals in no time, with no injuries of anyone. This obviously defeated the purpose of a strategy against different summons, so I reloaded and tried again. Second try was a success as I got everything that's nasty: 1 quasit, 2 wraiths, 1 flesh golem, 1 gray ooze.

The general strategy still stands: Rush at portals, ignore summons with frontliners; use jester to confuse whatever gets close to the casters (best position for invisible jester is between the first pillars; also confuses the Ogre Magus, and everything mephit-y on the way across the arena), DUHM the cleric to protect the casters while they disable the Magus; if the slower summons are the closest (in my case the gray ooze) use the time to summon a skelly for further distraction.

I had Eudaemonium Improved Invisible - spell thrust magus, poison weapon, focus on magus. I took a small risk moving both him and Anduin between the 2 NE portals, near the gray ooze. Got lucky, the ooze kept targeting Eye of Helm on the portal. FinneousPJ - still in regular plate and with no further gear (except a normal helm and Paws of Cheetah) - slaughtered the 2 SW portals and one of the wraiths without a scratch; Southpaw hammered the golem and the skelly kept the confused quasit busy. The Ogre Mage managed to cast Stinking Cloud before dying, and it briefly knocked Samus out - the only problem with that was - the second wraith and the ooze were also in the cloud, as the only hostile survivors. Idiots. Samus saved a round later, I could evacuate the cloud and Anduin fireball spammed the ooze and wraith.

Only Eye of Helm and Samus leveled up, and since there's no new Deafness, I'll go with that. Probably re-doing ankhegs or something minor to get 2K gold and buy FinneousPJ a decent armor; after the wraith slaughterfest, he really earned it.
    lolien

"So sudden"? We are in the Underdark since weeks!

Tell me about the rabbits.
    [Deleted User]KidCarnivallolien
    EudaemoniumKidCarnival

Tell me about the rabbits.
    They got feet like dragons, I swear 'tis true!
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]
    Samus said:

The Ogre Mage managed to cast Stinking Cloud before dying, and it briefly knocked Samus out - the only problem with that was - the second wraith and the ooze were also in the cloud, as the only hostile survivors. Idiots. Samus saved a round later, I could evacuate the cloud and Anduin fireball spammed the ooze and wraith.

Ouch! That hurt....
    Hey, at least I was gentleeye enough to wait until you left the cloud before fireballing!
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
    EudaemoniumKidCarnival
    edited May 2013
    Tier 3

In the prison cell, we now meet Hogarl, a fire giant. He'll be the T3 final battle enemy. The shops have new gear, what I forgot to mention above, and the NPCs have new dialogues. Najim beams in and tells Baeloth there is some incident in a room of pain.

To prepare for the first T3 battle, the only thing I did was have Southpaw memorize Flame Blade (x 2) instead of Hold Person.

Trolls and Fission Slimes
    Beholder Hint: Keeping the fallen dead is not easy; dispose of the bodies.
    Reward: 152712 XP, 8000 gold
    Strategy: The slimes are idiots/slow/ranged, which means: cast a Fireball (or Flame Arrow or something) on each while they are away from the mosh pit that will build between the pillars. This is where the melees will most likely end up with the hasted trolls. Samus moves nearby to confuse them, the casters do the fireballing of the slimes so long and Southpaw casts Flame Blade. (One cast lasts long enough; I memorized 2 for the off chance that a slime would target Southpaw and the first attempt might fail.) By now, the trolls are unconcious and Southpaw can stroll over to kill them while the melees go kill the slimes. The slimes would split and spawn 2 new ones if they hadn't been hit with fire-something before, but that is not an issue here.

Anduin: purchases and memorizes Animate Dead, Chaos (Chaotic Neutral Necromancer)
    Eudaemonium: purchases and memorizes Breach; Amulet of Power (faster wizard slaying/dispelling)
    Southpaw: purchases Ashideena +2 (next battle is against the golems)
    FinneousPJ: purchases One Gift Lost 5 charges

Ỳou ̸f͘or͡g̶ot͜ t͡he̴ s͞c͟rèen͡s͘h͠ot a͜gąin͏, y͝ou͢ ͞íllite̢ra̸té i͞diot͏.͞

How is this possible?! How can Baeloth stand there and be in my backpack at the same time? WHICH IS THE REAL ONE?!
    Post edited by KidCarnival on
    [Deleted User]Anduinlolien
    edited May 2013
    Golems and Shambling Mound
    Beholder Hint: Use enchanted weapons. Seriously?
    Reward: 183254 XP, 10000 gold
    Strategy: So this is a tough one for katana fanboys, I guess. It's all about blunt weapons here, however, magic should not be underrated. Eye of Helm (Flail), @FinneousPJ (Ninjato) and 2 skelly summons serve as nothing but meat shields in this battle, with a tiny bit of damage from the flail. @Southpaw and his hammer do the damage. The arcane casters go in invisible; @Samus sings; @Eudaemonium and @Anduin cast Glitterdust, Greater Malison, Emotion, Chaos; poison what can be poisoned and that's the entire strategy: have the blunt weapon user(s) do the damage, everyone else keeps the golems busy/out of the fight. This does obviously work better if you have more than just a cleric, but I didn't have the gold to buy anyone else a useful weapon. Oops. Took a lot longer than with a hammer wielding frontliner.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr050.png

Samus: purchases and memorizes Improved Invisibility
    FinneousPJ: purchases Rashad's Talon +2 (main hand); Ballista's Passport
    Eye of Helm: purchases Ring of Fire Control

Post edited by KidCarnival on
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Bellowgulp is a svirfneblin.
    AnduinKidCarnival[Deleted User]lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2013
    Southpaw said:

@KidCarnival - Can I join the fray?
    I'd normally be a Thief or a monk, but in BP, you don't really need these.
    Because of the needs of your party composition, I'd leave the choosing to you.
    - human Avenger/Shapeshifter
    - human Stalker
    - human Blade

(both the latter dualwielding wakizashis/daggers or some other shorter swords. True Neutral or Lawful Evil.)

Try Black Pits with 6 level 40 Monks, its easy, actually, I recently did it, and it took me seconds to kill Baeloth, so he couldn't release the Beholder. If you make your Monks with 18 strength, 18 dexterity and 18 constitution, you're not going to spend the money in other things that weren't Potions of Explosions, Potions of Fire Breath, etc, to kill the Fission Slimes. Maybe in Potions of Fire Resistance for the battle against The Elemental Fire Plane.
    lolien
    Everything would be easy as pie with any combination of 6 level 40 characters. I see no point in that. I do have level cap removed for BG (and never got even close to the high level cleric spells I wanted, because restarteritis), but I won't exceed level 10 in this run. That's the unmodded limit, and it would be pointless to write a guide/strategy advice a la "so you just use a werebear on Drizzt lol".

The stats are all "best out of 10" rolls, so not all are ideal and I minmaxed a bit. Necromancer has 16 min wisdom (@Anduin should really have known better than to push every suspicious button), this was a classic "sacrifice outer beauty for inner beauty" case.

The general T3 strategy is to have the 3 arcane casters beam in with Improved Invisibility with the split:
    Samus - pre-battle buff spells; sing in fights and move around to confuse (jester song ignores magic resistance, and becomes a permanent spam of a level 5 Confusion spell)
    Anduin - crowd control and AoE; after the next (ice) battle, I'll add Ice Storm
    Eudaemonium - wizard slayer, lower saving throws, strip away defenses
    I'm a bit tempted to get the 2 Fire Shields for the elemental battles, but I'll see how far I get with the current protections, save some gold and get Anduin the Neutral Arch Magi robe instead.

KidCarnivalAnduin
    EudaemoniumKidCarnivalAnduinoldsch00l