Skip to content

Anyone else dislike druids?

Comments

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Druids play best when you quickly guage the situation and know what you need to do. See three mages? Insect Plague and summon a Fire Elemental. Bunch of archers? Monster Summoning and Ironskins let you heal with some impunity. If you're getting beat down hard buff up and run into the fray.
    dstoltzfusmashedtaters
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2013

elminster said:

Dual class ranger/cleric gets everything but druid HLA's

Personally I'd rather be a Fighter dualed to druid. You get 5* on a weapon of your choice before the end of the first game depending on when you dual class. Granted you can't use any kickass warhammer or flails you come across, but given that there are staves in BG2 that benefit your number of memorised spells its still a solid option. Plus by having the fighter dualed part you avoid what is really the most painful aspect of being a druid, their side quests in BG2.

Staves? I'll have to try that out. That's pretty cool, because there are some awesome staves that I've never really been able to take advantage of.

Jahiera, however, can't take 5*, because she's multi-class.
    The quarterstaff I was thinking of (bonus spells) you have to buy in BG2. It is sold by one of the bonus merchants. You can get it basically right off the bat if you have the money
    Its called the Staff of Arundel and you can buy it from Joluv in the Copper Coronet
  • NalrashidoNalrashido Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    Elementals princes and devas are a druids best friend. Insect swarm eliminates annoying mages for a few. Aura of Flaming death helps deal with melee combatants
    mashedtaters
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Ok, I think I can see that. So Druids are more of a generalized character? I like thinking about them as bards--I've never really liked bards either, so maybe this is why. I'm trying to use them as only a fighter, or only a mage.

Doesn't change the way I feel about baby-blanket factories, though, but maybe I have something to work with that will make me tolerate having Jahiera in my party long enough to finish game. Maybe I could even get to like druids. Maybe the sky will turn green? Anything's possible.

Any other advice? Party position? Tactical uses?

Thanks everyone for the good advice despite my rantings.
    BelgarathMTHlolien
  • kylepackerkylepacker Member Posts: 11
    I have a Wizard Slayer/Druid dual class thats quite fun to play - just charge straight in with shield and scimitar to get combat started, then once the fights begun, cast offensive spells in the thick of it - good vs other cleric/druid types, and a fun class to have in a party (note this guy is part of an all created party - I'd never have a Wiz Slayer as my CHARNAME)
    mashedtaters
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    i think it is the wirdness of skills that makes druid not cool for many

but i like them

shape shif ting like a boss
    summon (elemental)prince like a boss
    insect swarm like a boss

in icewind dale 1 druid owns so maybe you should try
    mashedtaters
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm "Neutral" on druids.
    mashedtaters
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited May 2013
    I believe, for the first time in this forum, that i truly found a thread which i totally disagree.

Answering your question: Yes, you don't know how to play a druid, that's pretty obvious. Druids in IWD/IWD2 are better shaped than druids in Baldur's Gate (the better spells on IWD series belong to druids), but even in Baldur's Gate Druids rock.

You're probally new to BG, and your experience with BG kept your spell access to lvl 4 spells probally, specially if you only used jaheira (whom is a multi-class) as a druid. You're probally base your opinion on Holy Smite (lvl 3 priest spell) and raise dead (lvl 3 priest spell). Insect swarm (lvl 3 druid spell) and Call lighting (lvl 3 druid spell) specially in BG EE the last one, cover very well the good priest spells of lvl 3.

To give you a hint, remove XP cap from the game, active CLUAConsole and cheat the level of one of your druid. Take a look on druid spells of level 5/6/7 to see how awesome they are.

The only thing i give credit in complaing about druids, is that the druid kits on BG sucks, vanilla druid is some times better than any of the kits, and the only multi/dual allowed for druids is fighter/druid cos for some reason the devs probally will not implement druid/mage dual/multi (an valid dual/multi combination).
    mashedtaters
    wow man
    avenger > druid
    shapeshifter > druid
    and this totem druid > druid
    why would you play plain druid when u can have more things? plain druid is only for multi/dual

avenger is like your mage druid
    shapeshifter is like your effin fighter druid or better
    mashedtaters
    zur312 said:

wow man
    avenger > druid
    shapeshifter > druid
    and this totem druid > druid
    why would you play plain druid when u can have more things? plain druid is only for multi/dual

avenger is like your mage druid
    shapeshifter is like your effin fighter druid or better

Fighter/Druid (especially dual classed) > Shapeshifter
    Druid > Shapeshifter (thanks to Ankheg armor)
    mashedtaters
    -2 str -2 con, no armor, all to get 6 mage spells options on the spellbook? No ty.
    Shapeshifter is =/= normal druid, neither better or worse, you can use him as a simple druid in fact with some armor penalities, but in wolf form no spell can be cast and the shifter isn't too powerful to make that worth i think.
    Totemic is a bit better than vanilla only.

But i'm speaking of vanilla druid, any multi/dual combination suprass by far any of the druid kits, and that's the difference between druid kits and other class kits. Other class kits convince you to open hand of a dual/multi based on the benefits of those classes, druid kits doesn't do it.
    mashedtaters
    edited May 2013
    oh you are both so wrong but don't worry you probably thought that bard in bg1 was weak like everyone

*dual classed shapeshifter13-14/fighter*
    druid spells
    5stars in quarter staff
    10apr with staff of ram with imvproved haste(after dispeling werewolf claws)
    critical strike
    10x80dmg=800 dmg in round
    nice things from greater werewolf like spell resistance elemental resistance faster movement

*without dual*
    6apr with staff of ram with improved haste
    better druid spells

avenger
    -2 conc on druid = he can't get benefits from 16 so?
    -2 str? there is like f tone of items that imprvoe str
    6 good spells from mage better than not having them
    oh and original sword spider form with poison was so awesome
    -bg1 exp cap = 10 lvl avenger with 5th level spells
    -bg1 exp cap = fighter/druid only 4th level spells max

so yeah greater werewolf dealing more damage than kensai
    avenger is better in everything than pure druid
    mashedtaters
    thx for proof that dualed class druid are better than any kit. That was my main point, i just added that vanilla druid was even a slight better or equal to the druid kits.

Kensai mage can play by himself, shapeshifter can't do as well as a kensai/mage.

Avenger get -2 str/con, with 6 mage spells added (good or bad, that's an opinion only)

Unless the sword spider from avenger shift has poison, you raised a wrong statement cos sword spiders doesn't have poison in BG EE.

You use tons of fallacy to make your reasons, as state the spell reach of a single class better than a dual class what is pretty obvious but is compensated by the dualed class advantages, and by the end finish by destroying your very first argument where you praised the shapeshifter/fighter combination.

To end, "thank you for your superior lore, so special sentient being so out of the ordinary mind of other members of this forum".
    mashedtaters
    edited May 2013
    they had poison in bg2 i dunno why it is not in bg ee it baldursgate forums not bg ee only forums
    kamuizin said:

and that's the difference between druid kits and other class kits. Other class kits convince you to open hand of a dual/multi based on the benefits of those classes, druid kits doesn't do it.

this and shapeshifter is good class for dual
    kamuizin said:

You use tons of fallacy to make your reasons, as state the spell reach of a single class better than a dual class what is pretty obvious but is compensated by the dualed class advantages

iron skin druid > druid without iron skin me thinks

mashedtaters
    zur312 said:

oh you are both so wrong but don't worry you probably thought that bard in bg1 was weak like everyone

*dual classed shapeshifter13-14/fighter*
    druid spells
    5stars in quarter staff
    10apr with staff of ram with imvproved haste(after dispeling werewolf claws)
    critical strike
    10x80dmg=800 dmg in round
    nice things from greater werewolf like spell resistance elemental resistance faster movement

*without dual*
    6apr with staff of ram with improved haste
    better druid spells

avenger
    -2 conc on druid = he can't get benefits from 16 so?
    -2 str? there is like f tone of items that imprvoe str
    6 good spells from mage better than not having them
    oh and original sword spider form with poison was so awesome
    -bg1 exp cap = 10 lvl avenger with 5th level spells
    -bg1 exp cap = fighter/druid only 4th level spells max

so yeah greater werewolf dealing more damage than kensai
    avenger is better in everything than pure druid

I'm surprised they never fixed the dispel magic claw thing.
    mashedtaters
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I might find myself liking druids more if other races than Humans and Half-Elves could be them...
    kamuizinmashedtaters
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Quartz said:

Fun fact they get even more ridiculous offensive spells in Icewind Dale for whatever reason. Gotta love Spike Stones. =P

Came here to say this. Druids in BG/BG2 have a wildly bland spell selection that can't be made up with their other abilities. Their spell selection in IWD has a lot more variety--and frankly, a lot more utility--and Arundel's part in the story is a better exploration of a druid's role than anything offered by Jaheira, Faldorn, or that other guy.
    zur312mashedtaters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kamuizin
    CamDawg said:

Quartz said:

Fun fact they get even more ridiculous offensive spells in Icewind Dale for whatever reason. Gotta love Spike Stones. =P

Came here to say this. Druids in BG/BG2 have a wildly bland spell selection that can't be made up with their other abilities. Their spell selection in IWD has a lot more variety--and frankly, a lot more utility--and Arundel's part in the story is a better exploration of a druid's role than anything offered by Jaheira, Faldorn, or that other guy.
    this is so true

in moded baldur's gate there is so much more spells that druid become another caster not half caster shapeshifting hybrid
    mashedtaters
    No one can mod the druid spell list of IWD to BG EE? That would be real nice.
    mashedtaters
    There are a number of mods that bring IWD spells in. We managed to convert just about all of them for IWD-in-BG2 and various spell packs do the same.
    mashedtaters
    Hmmmm good to know, can you point me to a download place where the mod is already adapted to BG EE @CamDawg? Probally druid will be my next call on BG EE if i get IWD spells.
    mashedtaters
    in big world setup you get spells from icewind dale and others like 2 to 5 times more spells in spellbok

some not really good but some epic spells and definitly upgrade for clerics/druids
    mashedtaters
    The problem is there's no standalone IWD spell pack. Divine Remix adds a bunch; IWD-in-BG2 pretty much adds them all but it's no longer BG2; Galc's Lost Crossroads has some; as does Spell Revisions. Hell, even 1PP slips in a few of the reversed cure spells.
    mashedtaters
    it is cooler to have more spells yes?
    mashedtaters
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I really don't like druids in any of the IE games. I only take Jahiera along for RP purposes; it's my character that wants her along, I'd just as soon leave her in the Freindly Arm/Iranicus's dungeon.
    mashedtaters
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Druids best spells are ironskin and summon elemental princes.

Ranger/Clerics get ironskin (although they shouldn't really).

Elemental princes are great, but not that much better than devas to make up for the loss of heal, greater restoration, resurrection and various useful clerical buffs.

Tho if you want to go cheesy and keep recharging the rod of resurrection then clerics are pretty much obsolete too!
    mashedtaters