Skip to content

Black Pits FAQ / Guide

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EudaemoniumKidCarnivalAnduin
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Not before I'm done moving. I won't have the time for a full game (at least not with forum documentation and roleplay), so if I do another, it's gonna be Black Pits again. The idea of a Carrion Crawler Barbarian is... appealing.
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]Anduinlolien
    edited May 2013
    I did the final battle twice - once killing the Beholder (then falling into a deep depression, having nothing left to aspire to after slaying my idol, becoming an alcoholic, losing my faith in Helm, 3.5 years of therapy, finding new hope, marrying my eyeschool sweetheart, becoming increasingly worse at eye puns, opening a little bistro on the beach in Southern France and making peace with the world) and once as planned.

FinneousPJ died after slaying his mentor Elan Garaq with the planned suicide bombing, except this time, it did end in actual suicide. But he succeeded killing his mentor in both battles, in the first he survived and helped kill my mentor (I sense a pattern... Food for thought...) - while Eye of Helm was confused and traumatized by having to fight him in the first place.
    I left Thardek alone and just tried to keep him busy the second time; Emotion and Samus' song did most of the job, then some surviving skelly summons (had 4 in total; 2 from Southpaw, 2 from Anduin) chased him around and I could focus on Baeloth. Two Breach and Spell Thrust helped to take at least some of his defenses down; at some point, Samus confused him and opened a short window for hard melee hits and Chromatic Orbs, Eudaemonium threw around Melf's and I noticed just in time (Baeloth Near Death, Thardek Badly Injured) that the skellies were about to kill the duergar. Quickly recalled them to Baeloth and after he passed out, just rushed Thardek.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr056.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr057.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr060.png
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr061.png
    [Deleted User]Eudaemoniumlolien
    And the character sharing... (Before final battle)

Eye of Helm - Cavalier 8
    FinneousPJ - Berzerker 9
    Southpaw - Priest of Lathander 9
    Samus - Jester 11
    Anduin - Necromancer 10 (can be dualed to thief)
    Eudaemonium - Assassin 4/Mage 10
    [Deleted User]lolien
    KidCarnival
    AnduinEudaemoniumKidCarnival
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Damn simians. Making my eyes shed liquid.
    AnduinKidCarnival[Deleted User]lolien
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ~*I wonder, what shall tavern patrons across the Sword Coast make of this tale of six unlikely heroes who did some minor mettle in Black Pits and then managed to subdue, overpower and finally destroy whole field of broccoli using just one undead button-eyed Mummy.*~

~*I heard about a guy slacking around Firewine Bridge, who would sell his left brain lobe hand for this thread's history.*~
    AnduinKidCarnivalEudaemoniumlolien

Damn simians. Making my eyes shed liquid.

Such a loyal familiar!

Eye of Helm throws some fruits and a Blindness scroll in his backpack.

What could possibly go wrong?
    [Deleted User]SouthpawAnduinlolien
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    *Munches gleefully on his fruit while perusing the scroll*

Hmmmm. Mm. Uh huh. Ahhh.

Now I understand why my eyes are shedding liquid. If i just do... THIS!

Wild Surge: Party-wide effect.
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]Anduinlolien
    Why is it so dark? Are we still in the Underdark?

Oh. Must be "night". I heard about this strange event when that bright circle on the ceiling of the world goes away... @Samus? Have you heard any tales about this? What does legend say how we get the bright circle back?

---
    (If I play this party in BG, they'll be on a quest to recover the sun and repair it.)
    EudaemoniumAnduin[Deleted User]lolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited May 2013
    That'd be quite silly if they always happened to find a place to rest/do whatever to get indoors when the sun came up, never realizing it's actually normal for it disappear for a while every day.
    EudaemoniumAnduinKidCarnivallolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    LOL can't wait.
    KidCarnivalAnduinCrevsDaaklolien
    The real problem could be that Eye of Helm is really Sylar...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18275/a-canon-party-story-plan-with-a-love-button-please-press/p2

Can't have enough pop culture references in a run like that.
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]Anduin
    edited May 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I see. So this is a gigantic fungus growing under the ceiling of the world? If it isn't emitting light anymore, it must be sick! @Southpaw! Memorize Cure Disease!
    [Deleted User]Anduinlolien
  • warreniwarreni Member Posts: 5
    Hey, could somebody help me with this: I'm on the Black Pits battle with the fire giant (Hurgorl or something) and 5-6 fire elementals. I can take down the giant without too many issues because he's vulnerable to most weapons and cold damage but I haven't found any melee weapons that affect the fire elementals. The only spells that seem to do any damage are Magic Missile and maybe Cone of Cold(?). They seem to be completely immune to Ice Storm for some reason. I have a few +2 weapons but they don't even appear susceptible to Arrows of Ice. Could somebody clue me in as to how to defeat these elementals? (Horror works well to throw them off balance but it doesn't help me actually kill them.)
    lolien
    The elementals shouldn't be immune to Ice Storm. Maybe they just aren't in the area where they get hit? Anyway, they are immune to most ranged weapons (even with magical ammo) and I think crushing damage (quarterstaff, hammer, flail don't do anything). Piercing and slashing should work; I used dual ninjato for that battle, but any sword should do.
    lolien
  • warreniwarreni Member Posts: 5

The elementals shouldn't be immune to Ice Storm. Maybe they just aren't in the area where they get hit? Anyway, they are immune to most ranged weapons (even with magical ammo) and I think crushing damage (quarterstaff, hammer, flail don't do anything). Piercing and slashing should work; I used dual ninjato for that battle, but any sword should do.

Hm. Any certain magic level for the swords? My barbarian is wielding a two-handed sword +1 and he can't damage them at all.

I see. So this is a gigantic fungus growing under the ceiling of the world? If it isn't emitting light anymore, it must be sick! @Southpaw! Memorize Cure Disease!

~*WHO SAID THAT?*~
    (maniacally turns around and squints into the darkness...)
    ~*is that you Eyes? Damnint, we need some light here.*~
    (starts casting *Flame Strike*)
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]KidCarnivallolien
    @warreni: My berzerker had Rashad's Talon +2 and Ninjato +1. I'd say try a +2 sword.

@Anduin: Hide the brains! I'm done absorbing the power to see the future, but we better keep them in case you lose another one. QUICK, before @Southpaw eats them!

Eye of Helm uses the new ability to see the future.

I see... the Great Fungus obscured by... a black circle... We are hunted by assassins... Great power awaits, but our way will be long, dark and rocky (and I really don't care about that last part, yay levitation!)... The night is dark and full of terrors...

Eye of Helm is suddenly drawn to Southpaw's Flame Blade, focussing his gaze on the flames.

Yes, yes, this all sounds so logical... I am the rightful king of Westeros!
    [Deleted User]AnduinEudaemoniumlolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited May 2013
    WooHoOoOohooOwoo

*Anduin waves arms around in a theatrical way*

It is I @Anduin ! I have come back from the dead...

Oh bugger it. I got kicked out of vegetable heaven.

@KidCarnival Would you believe I managed to squeeze three of the brains into my skull? Okay, I got a bit of brain sticking out my ears, and I feel a bit claustrophobic at all times... But hey! Three Brains!
    Post edited by Anduin on
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]lolien
    @Anduin: There are things you can simply never have enough of - eyes, brains, extraordinary self awareness...

(Damnit, I should be renovating my storage room, but the realms... the realms are calling! Might just start a BG run and see if I can finish it this month.)
    Anduin[Deleted User]lolien
    ~* yesssss, you can not have enough brainsssssss. But well, at least we have fire now*~

Southpaw, the crazy MindFlayer, Priest of Lathander (don't ask) silently wipes his mouth and watches the source of light for the neighborhood...a burning Rakshasa.
    While the catman is trying to douse the flames on his fur, Southpaw peacefully holds a +1 halberd over him with marshmallows on it. Yummy.

~* Who wants one? *~
    AnduinKidCarnivallolien