Skip to content

Live or let die?

SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
Do you resurrect a NPC that is killed or do you let them stay dead*?

*or as @samus would put it: "To end... like this?!"

1. Live or let die?91 votes
    1. If a NPC dies he or she stays dead. I play it hard core.
        7.69%
    2. I resurrect most fallen my NPCs.
      37.36%
    3. Resurrect a NPC? When there is a re-load option?
      47.25%
    4. Khalid and Dynaheir stays dead.
        7.69%
Post edited by SamuelVarg on

Comments

• SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    edited May 2013
    ("I resurrect most fallen my NPCs." should have been "I resurrect most of my fallen NPCs.")
    Post edited by SamuelVarg on
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    I'm a dreadful perfectionist and reload obsessively. Unless I am playing no or minimal reloads, in which case, I tend to try and raise everyone. As if I'd let death get in the way of my preplanned party arrangements!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Most of the time I resurrect them. Sometimes I won't if I need to make room.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A great way to spend the coin you've accumulated. I also do most of my healing at temples instead of power resting.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Generally, I don't do death...

In most cases I hit reload the moment anyone dies. The only exception being, sometimes, Khalid and Dyanhier, who most often just stay dead.
    TressetDjimmy
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    It seems foolish to leave a party member to death when it's so simply to resurrect them.

If I couldn't use resurrect then Minsc would have to stay dead. I prefer to bring back to life and then kill him, bring him back to life and kill him again. Minsc is alive, can't have than *finger of death*. * Resurrect Minsc* Sorry about that *Disintegrate* oh no, you're dead again...as you might have guessed, I'm not a fan of Minsc.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I play minimal reload game. That means I only reload if my char kicks the bucket. Otherwise I try my best to survive and I try to raise the dead npcs..Unless they are chunked, petrified and broken, disintegrated etc.

A few minutes ago, my wild mage managed a spectacular burst wild surge and blasted all of my party:Immy, Dorn, and Khalid all perished in the sudden explosion. Jaheirs survived with 2 hit points. She gulped a strength of frost giant potion and hauled all of the party's important stuff, plate mail armors, swords and the like. While my 9 str mageling carried all the light stuff like daggers bows and potions, while constantly apologising to a very grumpy Jaheira. Heh, the most fun part is imagining how a very angry Jaheira berates my pc for his mistake. ^^' We reached FAI and raised all of the fallen companions, and apologised to them too. My pc was especially deathly afraid of Dorn, but he seems to have a soft spot for my pc, surprisingly, heh.
    SamuelVarg[Deleted User]
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The only time I don't resurrect is in the case of Khalid and Jaheira. I want Jaheira in the party but you can't kick Khalid out without having Jaheira leave with him. Khalid is the odd man out out if I want a different fighter or someone else in the party. So take a guess who looses their armor and weapons in the next fight.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I will typically reload unless I'm in BG2 where I have access to my own resurrecting magic. I typically use my resurrecting magic most when someone dies during a BG2 boss fight.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I find no rez games the most fun. I don't always play like that, though.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Why no middle path? I resurrect certain NPCs, but not all. I do resurrect if it someone I can't replace, for example Eldoth if I want Skie - I need him for that. If Xzar gets killed early, which is frankly quite often, I will resurrect him because I plan to use him as cleric and can't just dual a different mage. If there is a viable alternative - i.e. Monty gets killed early, I might leave them dead, save the gold and get Shar-Teel or Safana instead. Early in the game, it's limited to a few NPCs who get a second chance. In late game, I'm also more likely to resurrect those I can't easily replace. A thief may stay dead because Alora is an option, but if I'm running with Eldoth or Faldorn, I can't just get a different druid or bard.
    God
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    I'm a Roleplayer more than a power or metagamer. If someone dies in the party I usually feel that they have earned their share of the money or value that we have accumulated so it is part of the bargain that I will resurrect them.

Not resurrecting them (unless Charname is really Evil) would feel like some sort of cheat like recruiting an NPC then stealing his items and removing him. Are you playing a fantasy story or just maximizing the outcomes of the computer program?

In the fantasy story it is good for long term morale if the NPC's know that they wouldn't just be abandoned. Also, I wouldn't feel that it would be realistic to reload when Charname dies, since I couldn't roleplay that the other NPC's would figuratively be willing to resurrect him under most circumstances.

I like to put these restrictions on the game, so I feel it is a realistic type fantasy world, and so I'm not just taking advantage of the computer code. In my case, I feel the game becomes more of a challenge.
    Tinter
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    I resurrect most, unless one is party of two and I want them gone without losing the other.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I'm a mix between raising them and dumping their bodies for the scavengers. I always raise Viconia (unless she gets chunked), however. Toward the latter-half of the game, I usually raise everyone, as my parties are usually pretty solidified by then.

I always make sure to keep Neera's gem bag as a keepsake to (ahem) honor her memory--not that's it's useful or anything.... ^.~

EudaemoniumKidCarnival
  • SkiaSkia Member Posts: 25
    Where is the option for, I just don't let my party members die?
    [Deleted User]
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Death is just another path. Some don't follow it to the end. And some just refuse to die.
    There's this one gnome who knows that if he tells me not to forget to raise him, I won't forget.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I only let the NPC stay dead if they are...
    Coran, Dynaheir, Eldoth, Khalid, or Xan.
  • Officer_HotpantsOfficer_Hotpants Member Posts: 14
    Depends. Right now I'm running a full evil party, so I've been resurrecting the hell out of evil characters, but the good ones I filled out my party with early can stay in their ditch for all I care. And that's what ends up happening most of the time, because I can't keep my reputation up, so I get tired of their bitching. Seriously, I can't resist committing random acts of violence for no apparent reason.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I usually resurrect them all. Even if I don't want to play with Khalid or Jaheira (as I often don't). Sometimes...I let Dynaheir die to be able to play with Minsc and "free him up from his duties".
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    I reload cuz i don't want to pick up party members eqiupment run down to the temple then resurrect them then re-equip them again.... picking up stuff from dead party members irritates me...
    atcDave
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507

I reload cuz i don't want to pick up party members eqiupment run down to the temple then resurrect them then re-equip them again.... picking up stuff from dead party members irritates me...

Yes. That really is a chore. What is more irritating is if you have only a couple of party members left after a really difficult battle, and they don't have great STR. Sometimes, you can't manage to get and lug all the equipment to carry back.

One can consider an option of reloading, but calculating how much the tab would be to resurrect the fallen NPC's and make note to deposit that amount at the temple when you get back to town? I can just see people thinking, "yeah, but I can buy a bunch of +2 arrows with that money too."

Picking up stuff and finding a temple doesn't seem like such a chore. Mostly, it's the casters dying; due to their HP and AC. They don't have the strength to carry anything heavy, so at most, you have to carry a robe, a belt, boots, rings, amulets, cloak, 2 light weapons, ammo. That's all they can wear, and nothing of that is heavy. If you're left with too many things for the slots, you can have the survivors wear most of the gear until they reach a temple.
    At the time lots/heavy inventory would be a real issue, the casters aren't dying so easily anymore because they have more than one Armor spell to protect them. At least for me, it's usually low level casters like Xzar dying, when he barely has anything in his inventory. But then, I also rarely carry around tons of stuff; I either store things I might need later in Kagain's shop or I sell it.
    SouthpawEudaemonium
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I agree with @KidCarnival - NPCs tend to die more often during early stages and levels 1-4, when you don't have so much equipment to carry. And especially the weak mage with 4hp after being sneezed on by a Winter Wolf.
    Southpaw said:

I agree with @KidCarnival - NPCs tend to die more often during early stages and levels 1-4, when you don't have so much equipment to carry. And especially the weak mage with 4hp after being sneezed on by a Winter Wolf.

Also: Kobolds.

• TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    It varies. I occasionally let characters die permanently in major fights, mostly for the roleplaying aspect of it. So, if someone happened to die from a random wolf or something I'd reload and pretend it never happened, for convenience, but, for example, at the bandit camp, it felt appropriate that not everyone would survive the fight, rather than reloading I accepted the loss of a party member as 'fair'.
    SCARY_WIZARD[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I'd probably resurrect them if it weren't such a pain to carry their crap.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I am obsessive about re-loading when an NPC dies unless I am specifically forcing myself to do a no-reload run. I have re-done entire zones because a character died and I forgot to quicksave.
    atcDave
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    I think the people suggesting they might not have much stuff are really underestimating the extent to which packratting can be a problem. All my NPCs have loads of stuff most of the time. I mean, it may not be useful stuff... but its my stuff dammit!