Skip to content

Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson and the naked Bhaalspawn.

Forgot all about this...

I was nosing about Candlekeep, as you do, after being sent back with a tome worthy of its libraries... When suddenly I bumped into Theoden and Jessup...

Now, Theoden, seems to only recall happy times when you, CHARNAME, was naked running around the keep in the buff.

Apparently, Khelben was trying to look important when you, CHARNAME, decided to steal his cloak and make the cutest diaper... Gorion chased you getting angrier and angrier, before Khelben summoned a Bigsby Clenched fist and picked you up, removed the cloak, dropped you naked back to the floor and gave you a stern stare. Everyone, the monks, the watchers and Gorion were scared witless. Luckily, Khelben started bursting out laughing, in which everyone started guffawing as well... Apart from you as you couldn't see the joke as you were aged two and toddled off again...

The point is...

Why was Khelben at CandleKeep...

Was it to peek at the vast stores of knowledge available there...

Or...

Was it to peek at YOU!

I think it has become fact that the Harpers knew all about you and your... heritage... And as a Harper, Khelben would be somehow involved.

We now know that Elminster put plans in place to take action, along with Gorion, to get you to safety and protect you with like minded adventurers.

Khelben is a mage nearly as powerful as Elminster.

Now if Elminster was looking after you...

Who was Khelben looking after?

lunar[Deleted User]ChowJuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited May 2013
    Gorion was Indiana Jones back in the days...
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
    Anduinlolien
  • JohnSmith921030JohnSmith921030 Member Posts: 10
    Hard to say really. I think it might be both - him looking for books or after you. In place like Candlekeep you never know...
    Anduinlolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Theoden and Jessup said he was there to visit Gorion; who was also a harper by the way.
    Anduinlolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    And why visit Gorion?

Anyone wanna stretch the imagination?
    lolien
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    They like to play scrabble together on Thursdays, they don't let Elminster play though, too many language arguments...
    CaptRoryAnduinlolien
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It might be possible that Khelben was there to see the Bhaalspawn child himself. To see if there is a hint of the evil, murderous taint in his veins. Like, if the young kid was busy torturing and killing small animals like cats, puppies and the like. (this is a common behaviour among most psychopathic killers during their childhood) Once he saw the child was a perfectly normal, and even silly baby that likes running around jay-naked, Khelben was relieved and even laughed, according to the story. Khelben laughing is hard to imagine, actually, as he is dour and serious most of the time.
    AnduinJuliusBorisovlolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    So... No errant Bhaalspawns taken away...

I think he took away a Bhaalspawn.... Even now wandering Waterdeep, unaware of his true heritage...
    [Deleted User]Eudaemoniumlolien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Maybe you were one of the only ones that the Harpers knew for certain where you were, and were using your behaviour as a kind of litmus test vis-a-vis inherent evil? The alternative is that they actually periodically visited most of the ones they knew the location of; Khelben only visits you once, after all.
    [Deleted User]lunar
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Bhaalspawn were scattered all over. And presumably they are not that easy to find or sort from the rest of the inhabitants of the world. You only run into a few fortune tellers that tell you things. And only then if you pretty much seek them out. Only one person managed to find them en masse, and SPOILER ALERT she had herself to study and was really badass and had lots of power to throw around. Plus by that point some Bhaalspawn had started to show unusual abilities that would make them easier to pick out. Like teleporting guy.

So, I don't think the Harpers could have managed some sort of massive Bhaalspawn surveilance program without people of the caliber of Elminster bending the rules. And he's a pretty hands off sort of guy at this point from what I've heard on the forums here.

They stuck two Bhaalspawn in the most boring place in the world; probably as much to keep them out of the public's eye as much as possible as any other reason.
    lolien

He brought Imoen with him.

I like that, but unlikely as its said she was older than you were when she arrived. That is she spent some years on the outside of Candlekeep and was brought in where you were just an infant when you were taken there.
    lolien
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited May 2013
    CaptRory said:

He brought Imoen with him.

I like that, but unlikely as its said she was older than you were when she arrived. That is she spent some years on the outside of Candlekeep and was brought in where you were just an infant when you were taken there.
    I thought Imoen is younger than the protagonist...

[Deleted User]Malicron
    She is a little bit younger. But she spent more time outside of candlekeep than you did. She was older when she arrived than you when you arrived.
    Cccbon3
    CaptRory said:

She is a little bit younger. But she spent more time outside of candlekeep than you did. She was older when she arrived than you when you arrived.

You say she is younger than CHARNAME but say she is older than when CHARNAME was adopted. That makes no sense. CHARNAME was adopted first then 10 years after CHARNAME's adoption Gorion found and adopted Imoen.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Imoen
    You arrived as an infant. She arrived well into childhood.
    She was older when she arrived than you were when you arrived.
    What part of this is so confusing?
    Cccbon3
    edited May 2013
    CaptRory said:

You arrived as an infant. She arrived well into childhood.
    She was older when she arrived than you were when you arrived.
    What part of this is so confusing?

Have you considered that Imoen wasn't born yet when CHARNAME was an infant? Imoen is 20 years old. CHARNAME doesn't sound any younger than Imoen when you listen to the male and female voice samples you can choose for your character. He/She actually sounds around ages 22 or 23 instead of 17 or 19. The question is WHEN did she "arrive well into childhood"? Is it when CHARNAME was 4 or 5 years old? In one of the dreams CHARNAME has about Ulraunt allowing Gorion to raise CHARNAME in Candlekeep, Imoen wasn't even around yet, and CHARNAME had to have been like 3 or 4 years old to walk around.
    [Deleted User]
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    What @CaptRory is trying to say is that Imoen when she was brought into Candlekeep, was already a couple of years old where as when CHARNAME was brought to Candlekeep, he/she was just a baby. While this is a relatively pointless fact, it is true.

It doesn't mean Imoen is older, it means she was brought into Candlekeep a few years after CHARNAME was.
    CaptRorylolien
    edited May 2013
    Oh I get it now. *facepalm* Imoen was adopted at an older age than CHARNAME, which means unlike CHARNAME she wasn't adopted as an infant. Sorry! I thought you were trying to say that Imoen is older than CHARNAME because she wasn't adopted as a baby.

Calmar[Deleted User]lolien
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Maybe a timeline would help here...

1990: Charname is born. Imoen's mom just got pregnant with her.
    1991: Charname is brought to Candlekeep. Imoen is born.

1995: Charname lives happily in Candlekeep. Imoen travels around with a gypsy clan.
    1996: Charname lives happily in Candlekeep. Imoen is brought to Candlekeep.
    [Deleted User]CaptRorylolien
    Don't use our realm's timeline.
    [Deleted User]lolien
    Whose realm? I'm accidentally time travelling, I have no idea when we are.
    Eudaemonium[Deleted User]CaptRorylolien
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

Whose realm? I'm accidentally time travelling, I have no idea when we are.

I find myself often asking "Where is this? When is this?"
    KidCarnival[Deleted User]
    @Kaltzor Me too. But I get lost easily.
    "Whose realm?" Our realm. Our timeline doesn't follow the same yearly pattern as the Forgotten Realms. Baldur's Gate and the Enhanced Edition takes place in 1368 DR, but that does not mean it takes play in our realm's year of 1368.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Thread hurts brain. I think I killed that Khelben dude in Baldur's Gate? Some self proclaimed Harper yadda yadda "my evil this" blah blah "harper that". He wasn't very powerful.
    lolien

"Whose realm?" Our realm. Our timeline doesn't follow the same yearly pattern as the Forgotten Realms. Baldur's Gate and the Enhanced Edition takes place in 1368 DR, but that does not mean it takes play in our realm's year of 1368.

Ýou ͡saỳ t͢h̛at ̀l͏ike it's̛ e͢a̧s̛y t͢o ́f̷igur͜e ͡o̵u̵t͠ who ̡w̶e̵ ar͜ę.̷

Eudaemonium[Deleted User]
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    The Harpers kept a whole kindergarten (or ghetto, if you prefer that word) of Bhaalspawns in the concealment of Candlekeep. Mind you, Bhaal cleaned even more elven arses in his life than Winthrop, and the hotels he *raided* are beyond count. And one Bhaalspawn was actually a squirrel.