Skip to content

Bug Bounty: Imoen walked through mountain of Gnoll Fortress

2»

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited May 2013
    I think this happens when they get bunched up and attempt to move around static obstacles (like a mountain or a dungeon wall). Even then it is a pretty rare occurrence. All I really know is that I only see this when I tell the entire party to move somewhere usually pretty distant.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited May 2013
    But they don't even end up going to the spot that they're supposed to go to. For me they just kept walking straight. But yes, it is rare, I've only seen it happen once myself. I honestly don't really care if this particular issue gets fixed, and I don't even think it's worth spending time to diagnose it since it's so uncommon, and even if you don't use the console reloading should fix the problem anyway. It's just a weird thing worth mentioning in my opinion.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Yeah, my guess is that someone can get bumped outside the area marked as walkable leading to this issue.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I have no idea what causes this, but I've had people walk through walls of all sorts... Not even in an attempt to reach their actual destination... When it happens, they usually just take a random direction and start moving it ignoring everything in their path, walls and all.
    Ok. Here's a new one: One of Thalantyr's flesh golems just did this... It didn't get bumped though...
    You know... I'm starting to think this is maybe not being caused by bumping. Every time I am watching my people when this happens they are moving around obstacles.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Shandyr said:

@Avenger_teambg

Somewhere there was a report about "walking on water":
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8534/walking-on-water#latest

And I have experienced such issues as well.

And second Dorn walked THROUGH Mulahey's cave to the north and of the map and even BEYOND the map border:

have a look at that map:
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar5404.htm

Dorn was standing in front of the cave entrance and walked through the cave, and above the water and walked north-east to the end of the map and even beyond that.

It happened the same to me with Dorn!
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Is this really an announcement? ^^
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Here is an example of a character managing to climb the hillside with the help of this bug.

Still no idea how to reproduce.
  • barbarabarbara Member Posts: 30
    This has happened to me twice. Once, I had six team members, and it was in one of the open forest areas. With Viconia, I clicked on an item on the ground to pick it up. She walked towards the item, and when she reached the item I saw the pick up item menu as usual, but she didn't stop walking and instead continued to walk straight forward through an impenetrable forest.
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    I saw that sort of happens in multiplaying v1.2, but i assume that would be because of lag. anyone else can say about this in mp?
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Still happening with 1.2 patch. If you look at the attached screenshot - Yeslick is running cheerfully somewhere off to the west, moving through solid wall. I wish I could provide reliable instruction on how to replicate this, but the only thing I did to cause this was completely common - selected all, clicked on a spot on the ground (somewhere in the area where the 3 other characters can be seen in the upper-right).
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    edited November 2013
    It appears that blocked / unreachable destination is not in any way a prerequisite of replicating this bug - today it manifested even after clicking to set destination in a completely unobstructed empty room.

The 1st screenshot shows the group formation of non-glitching characters after they reached their destinations. Instead of moving to a position above Xan as she should have, Alora started running north to the map edge, moving through walls. The party's point of origin when I clicked to move was in the northern-western room with lots of ghasts and a lootable pile of bodies (outlined with green rectangle in map screenshot).

So the problem likely lies in the code responsible for pathfinding, and is not reliant on whether destination is in an unreachable area (which causes the mouse cursor to change).
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    I just encountered this bug, or one very much like it. While strolling in the Cloakwood Mines I suddenly realized that Yeslick was walking off the screen, at least the green directional arrow pointed north. Saving and reloading made Yeslick spawn to the southern, unexplored part of the map.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited November 2013
    djc said:

I just encountered this bug, or one very much like it. While strolling in the Cloakwood Mines I suddenly realized that Yeslick was walking off the screen, at least the green directional arrow pointed north. Saving and reloading made Yeslick spawn to the southern, unexplored part of the map.

I think we'll call this "the snake effect", since it seems like Yeslick has managed to enter one end of the area by exiting the area one the opposite end.
  • MutantPlatypusMutantPlatypus Member Posts: 12
    My guess would be that the thread which tells the engine which way to move a character locks up. The variable it is updating (or the events being sent) stops, and so the thread that actually moves the character continues in whatever direction it was going before the last event / assignment, waiting for an update (like saying that an obstacle has been encountered and the route needs to be changed / movement needs to be stopped) that never comes. So the character keeps chugging along.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just had this bug happen twice to me. Kagain walked through the wall in the Cloakwood mines. Almost at the same time a hobgoblin he was fighting vanished into the ether only to reappear a few seconds later in the same place.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2013
    Just seen this. Monteron walked through walls in the Candlekeep Catacombs, from the trapped but empty tomb to the one with the phase spiders and strength tomb.

I assume there are tiny holes in the walk map, perhaps related to the change in screen resolution?
  • TRoarTRoar Member Posts: 50
    edited November 2013
    How does pathfinding update itself? I mean, how is the pathfinding updating coded? Because it seems like it forgets to correct itself for a party member, then they just keep going...
    @Tresset it does happen for me, every time I click over [X=1080;Y=572].
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Tresset said:

Hmm, I actually found a way to reliably reproduce this. ....

Congratulations! You are the winner.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Lol wow. Way to go. It's a little late, but at least you're persistent as hell.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Congrats @Tresset - I figured you'd get it eventually :)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    This bug has been happening ever since BGee came out, but for some obscure reason I'm getting it a lot more often in my current run. Is there any progress on fixing it?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

This bug has been happening ever since BGee came out, but for some obscure reason I'm getting it a lot more often in my current run. Is there any progress on fixing it?

Actually, this happened to me in vanilla SoA, in the s- sah- sa-, err, the shark people city. Arie walked though the wall of the temple bit, which has a "gather you party" entrance, and I could gather my party because arie was on the opposite side. I had to make her kill herself so the party could get over there to raise her. Very annoying. This has also happened in BG:EE numerous times.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    This has been reported as issue 8589 in the bugtracker.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    hook71 said:

This has been reported as issue 8589 in the bugtracker.

Yes, I know it's a well-known issue. What I was wondering was whether there's yet been any progress in fixing it, since it's been around for a while.
    @Gallowglass‌ Capturing a repro case of the bug is definitely huge progress. Other than that all I can say is... Maybe. ;)
    Tresset said:

@Gallowglass‌ Capturing a repro case of the bug is definitely huge progress. Other than that all I can say is... Maybe. ;)

And much more in the case of this issue.