Skip to content

OSX Stand-alone Launcher issues

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Any error messages in console.app? You can save as and send it to support and we'll take a look
    Something else to try: In the BGEE folder in your documents folder, edit Baldur.ini with textedit. Add this line after the last Game Options line:

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
  • gordonagnewgordonagnew Member Posts: 5
    Having some issues logging in to the launcher.
    Nothing happens...it just keeps loading and I never get any error message or anything.

I've tried changing my password, deleting the .plist file, basically everything mentioned in this thread.
    Any ideas what's happening?

I emailed Beamdog support, but as of yet there's been no reply.
    Can you be a little more specific? Are you able to log in? What is the exact message you are seeing?

Are you behind a firewall or proxy? What version of the launcher are you running (Baldur's Gate Launcher menu, About Baldur's Gate Launcher)

What OS version and hardware are you using?
    Unable to log in. Just an endless waiting symbol on the right.

No firewall or proxy.
    Launcher version 1.1.13.
    OS 10.6.8, late 2008 Macbook Pro.

Thanks!
    Could you try running the launcher from the terminal and let me know if there are any debug messages?

cd /Applications/Baldur's\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition
    ./Baldur's\ Gate\ Launcher.app
    -bash: cd: /Applications/Baldurs\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition./Baldurs Gate Launcher.app: No such file or directory

Here's where it is.
    http://i.imgur.com/tB7Xskj.png
    Sorry, that's two commands. Type the first line, press enter. Type the second line then press enter.
    Opened it using the Baldur's Gate Launcher - 777 in the package contents...got this message.

http://i.imgur.com/zcCDbSm.png
    Thanks - that will help. The devs are going to have a look, we'll probably get back to you tomorrow.
    Awesome!
    Thanks for your help.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The launcher and the app are path independent, but the problem is that the launcher needs to know where the app is. You can reconfigure this in the "Baldur's Gate Launcher" "Change Installation Directory" menu.
    BGEE Mac was written from day 1 to be a MAS app. If you want the Apple-ideal experience, get the MAS version.

The launcher was a compromise that allowed Beamdog to launch the app while Apple dickered over meta-data. The launcher is based largely on the same code as the Windows BGEE stand-alone launcher. To customize the experience for Mac would have added a substantial delay, which would have defeated the purpose of creating the launcher in the first place.
  • rexxarrexxar Member Posts: 5
    Hi there, I just bought BGEE for Mac, however after downloading the BG installer, no matter how many times I put in my email address and password it always comes up with a box saying "invalid email or password" and ask me "retry" or "change password", I have deleted the "com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist" as suggested but the same thing still happens, do you know what is the problem? I have also tried reset my password but the same thing still happens.

Please help.

Thank you.
    Oh and my computer is Macbook Air OSX 10.8.2
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @rexxar It's probably a problem in your Beamdog account. @Dee may help you if that's the problem.
    mlnevese said:

@rexxar It's probably a problem in your Beamdog account. @Dee may help you if that's the problem.

No worries, its all good thank you.

• wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2013
    Until a day or two ago, I never had any launcher issues. It seems to log into my beamdog account fine, but gets stuck on "waiting for download to start" - the progress bar moves to about 2/3 of the way completed, then resets to 1/3 of the way through and just sits there. When I use the check for update option however, it says 1.13 is installed and I have the latest version.

Note: I tried opening BG:EE directly and it says that the "program may be damaged or incomplete."
    Post edited by wampa on
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Hi, sorry @Cerevant but since installing the latest patch I’m now getting the "PowerPC applications are no longer supported” message and can’t load but I’m a little confused with your instructions on deleting the installer plist. Where isGo/ library- preferences? Do you mean preferences under the ‘Baldur’s Gate Launcher’ tab in the top left of the screen when the launcher is open? If so that buttons greyed out for me and I can’t click it.
    Sorry if I’m just being really stupid I’m not particularly tech savvy haha.
    I’m on a Macbook Pro 10.7.5
    No worries - The instructions are from the finder: Start finder, go to the "Go" menu, hold down the option key and choose Library, follow the instructions from there.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    @Cerevant This is possbily me being a total noob as I am very new to Mac OS but when I try to launch the launcher for BG2EE, which incidentally has nothing to do with this thread http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22471/bg2ee-in-11-days-what-are-you-most-looking-forward-to#latest, ahem, I get this message:

'You can't open the application BeamDog.Launcher.exe because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OS X.'

I am pretty sure I preordered the Mac version (says so in my confirmation mail). So there. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
    @onan It sounds like you downloaded the Windows version of the launcher, and there isn't a Mac launcher for BGII:EE yet. You may want to check with support@beamdog.com to confirm that you pre-ordered the Mac version, then wait for the pre-load announcement to download the launcher.
    onan
  • doenerdoener Member Posts: 18
    After the patch 1.2 the Game launcher quits quitly unter OS X Mavericks on my 2012 iMac.

I didn't found a file named com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist, deleting 777.fastresume from the Game Data folder had no effect.
    madtruk
  • madtrukmadtruk Member Posts: 6
    doener said:

After the patch 1.2 the Game launcher quits quitly unter OS X Mavericks on my 2012 iMac.

I didn't found a file named com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist, deleting 777.fastresume from the Game Data folder had no effect.

That's exactly what happened to me after downloading the update. No plist file; deleting the rest just causes it to re-download. Tried wiping the game and re-downloading/reinstalling; didn't work. Withdrawal symptoms in 3...2...1...

@madtruk @doener - try rebooting in safe mode:
    * Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    * Press the power button.
    * Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    * Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Then try running the launcher. If that works, you have some plug-in or extension that is interfering with BG:EE
    doener
  • doenerdoener Member Posts: 18
    @Cerevant

Thanks a lot - this worked. After I restarted again in normal mode the launcher still works. So I have basically no idea what the problem was - but now everything works, thanks so much!
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Excellent @Cerevant! That helped thanks! :)