Skip to content

Basilisk Question

Help.. How do I kill a basilisk?

Comments

• EldraneEldrane Member Posts: 56
    Help... How do I kill a basilisk?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    You can kill them by whacking them with your sword (or anything else that comes to hand). However, if what you really want to know is 'How do I stop basilisks killing me?' then you either need to protect yourself with a spell of Protection Against Petrification or by drinking a potion of Mirrored Eyes. I think the potions are available at High Hedge.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    You can also summon skeleton warriors with Animate Dead or recruit Korax if you're on the map with the statue garden. They're immune to petrification.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    As above.

As an alternative, though, my 'budget' method (not foolproof) is to only protect one person, send them in to get the basilisk's attention, then back them up with ranged and magic damage and hope they basilisk doesn't turn around and target someone else! Doesn't always work, of course...
  • AaronDemonciaAaronDemoncia Member Posts: 31
    We could ask the dev's nicely to implament D&D standard of blindness negates gaze attacks :3@jalily
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Protection from Petrification is a rarely but incredibly useful level 1 mage spell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrancescoTFrancescoT Member Posts: 17
    If you are a mage and you have a familiar you can use it to catch basilisk "fire" because it's immune to it :) and kill the basilisk one by one with ranged weapons
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    Use Algernon's cloak to charm one and have them petrify each other!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I usually just summon skeletons to tank their gaze for me.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Some familiars are immune to petrification too.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507

As above.

As an alternative, though, my 'budget' method (not foolproof) is to only protect one person, send them in to get the basilisk's attention, then back them up with ranged and magic damage and hope they basilisk doesn't turn around and target someone else! Doesn't always work, of course...

I once sent in a fighter with "protection from petrification" as well as a summoned undead and the party remained at a distance. Still the Basilisk managed to petrify a party member in the rear. So be careful.

Also be sure that the NPC doesn't get hit by an enemy while petrified. He can get chunked and all his equipment and items disappear.

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Send in your overpowered Cavalier with a protection from petrification by himself. He should be able to kill them quickly enough.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    To clarify some things for the OP: If you are not really into fantasy: basilisk's gaze turn people to stone. Which means, in the game the have a gaze attack (ranged), which can turn you to stone, basically insta-killing the target. There are many ways you can protect yourself, which have already been suggested above. (Also, if you read Harry Potter, you should also know that looking into the eyes of basilisks is not beneficial to your health :) )

BTW, can anyone tell me from how far can basilisks petrify people?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Greater basilisks can petrify from 60 ft., lesser ones from 40 ft.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Jalily said:

Thank you.
    Also, watch out for some basilisks who like to try and petrify you after they've petrified you... You might notice when your characters get hit, but make their save, they sort of "grunt" like they've been hit, despite the attack doing 0 damage. Weeeeeell, I've had basilisks petrify somebody, and then shortly after that gaze that petrified them came out, fire off another gaze...that can't be avoided or saved against.
    And that's how I got rid of Xan one time!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Watch the fact Greater Basilisks seem to have a poisonous bite, but I might be mistaken (I can't recall it properly).

Watch the fact Greater Basilisks seem to have a poisonous bite, but I might be mistaken (I can't recall it properly).

I think I know what you mean... All I know is I get giddy whenever I see a greater basilisk, because of all the experience!
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Jalily said:

Thank you.
    Also, watch out for some basilisks who like to try and petrify you after they've petrified you... You might notice when your characters get hit, but make their save, they sort of "grunt" like they've been hit, despite the attack doing 0 damage. Weeeeeell, I've had basilisks petrify somebody, and then shortly after that gaze that petrified them came out, fire off another gaze...that can't be avoided or saved against.
    I just get this image of the Basilisk staring at you *extra intently* until cracks start to form in your stone flesh. Power of the mind!

Jalily said:

Thank you.
    I just get this image of the Basilisk staring at you *extra intently* until cracks start to form in your stone flesh. Power of the mind!
    PSIONILISK

...and again, I continue to amaze and horrify myself. Quick, somebody get me the Annulus. :|
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    basilisks should be buffed imo... they are such a payday in terms of XP, and a couple of potions of mirrored eyes (sold at High Hedge btw, OP) make even the greater ones managable to a lv1 party. it would be nice if they had something more than their stare to fight back with. Mutanin himself makes for a tougher fight, but nothing that can't be done before Beregost.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    raelcari said:

basilisks should be buffed imo... they are such a payday in terms of XP, and a couple of potions of mirrored eyes (sold at High Hedge btw, OP) make even the greater ones managable to a lv1 party. it would be nice if they had something more than their stare to fight back with. Mutanin himself makes for a tougher fight, but nothing that can't be done before Beregost.

Managed perhaps by a level 1 party that is aware of where to find them and the proper team and items needed to defeat them but if the game was designed with the idea that anyone playing would already have all that information and thus balanced from the start for metagaming the true newcomer would never survive to gather any of that information.

• AaronDemonciaAaronDemoncia Member Posts: 31
    the biggest issue the basalisk's have is that the petrification IS their only offensive tech, because the internet ruined the surprise by which all DM's actually USE basalisks in.
    example: statues or run down oddly shaped stone foundations are easily recognizable to a vet as a bad sign so the immediatly start looking for chickens or snakes xD. i love using magic circles as traps, symbol of warding works too with a magical trigger. trip the trap, summon the cockatrice/basalisk/rust monster

the biggest issue the basalisk's have is that the petrification IS their only offensive tech, because the internet ruined the surprise by which all DM's actually USE basalisks in.
    example: statues or run down oddly shaped stone foundations are easily recognizable to a vet as a bad sign so the immediatly start looking for chickens or snakes xD. i love using magic circles as traps, symbol of warding works too with a magical trigger. trip the trap, summon the cockatrice/basalisk/rust monster

/take note
    Thank you! That would be a horrifying trap in this game. Just walk into some circle, and fwoosh, basilisks everywhere. Or medusae. Or cockatrices.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Rust monster... that's something I'd like to see in BG...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    edited May 2013
    @mlnevese The warehouse rats in candlekeep are part rust monster. How else could you explain all the weapons that break when they hit the rats?
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Tresset Miniature Giant Space Rustmonsters... not rats ;)
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

The do attack you at close range sometimes (rather than trying to petrify you. If the hit lands it can be quite painful (but they don't have a very good THAC0).