Skip to content

What is YOUR Alignment?

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited June 2013
    bbman1000 said:

I used to think I was chaotic good, but now I am not so sure. I have taken the Wizards online alignment test, and it said CHAOTIC EVIL. I was initially like "Wut?" but this part of the description, in particular, seems true of me: "Chaotic evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend." I am now hated?

I am pretty sure that if I took that same test when the original BG came out (at age 15) I would have landed somewhere among Good, possibly even neutral or lawful. Since then, I feel, I have lost my innocence and my naïveté, and have become sullen and bitter. So much so that I consider myself pretty misanthropic, and couldn't care less about random strangers, rules and regulations, anything political, and so on. People who know me would say "he hates almost everything." I can imagine myself killing someone if pushed into a corner. Still, I love my friends and would do anything for them. I also believe in not harming others - unless they have harmed you first. Basically I am indifferent to anyone I don't know, and I distrust and expect to be hurt or exploited by most, so I am always on my guard. Life turned out to be much more cruel than the intially (naïvely) good childhood Remorhaz could have anticipated, and I feel the old 'good' me is dead. Still, if an old lady falls flat on her face right before me, and no one else is rushing to help her first, I would.
    I now pretty much isolate myself in my home (where I also work), won't consider taking a new girlfriend, and play BG (my true love ;)) and drink beer. I don't want to hurt anyone; I just don't want to see anyone but my friends.

Oh, also I have this big black beard.

In light of this, do I still classify as evil? I truly don't know if becoming bitter and generally hateful makes you evil, or just.....sad, or something. Thoughts?

I would say, based on your description, either True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral.
    Besides, if becoming bitter made you evil then there would be a whole lot more evil people around.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I just noticed a really interesting relationship between the percentages of players' alignments and PC alignments. Last August, I posted a poll, "What is your PC's alignment?", and its results are very similar to the current results of this poll. Here's a comparison of the two polls:

Yours PC’s

LG 12% 8%
    NG 23% 23%
    CG 20% 24%
    LN 8% 5%
    TN 11% 9%
    CN 14% 12%
    LE 4% 5%
    NE 2% 7%
    CE 2% 3%

# votes 358 356
    As you can see, they're very close, and no alignment has a difference of more than 5 percent for either poll. So what does this mean? It looks like we like to play our own alignment instead of role playing a different one. A few prefer to play Neutral Evil and Chaotic Good PCs over their own alignments, and those who are Lawful Good are slightly less likely to play their PCs as Lawful Good.

On the whole, the differences are pretty slim. However, it's difficult to make any generalizable claims from these polls, since it's more than likely that not everyone who took the PC alignment poll responded to this poll (and vice versa). Still, I found it interesting food for thought.
    EntropyXIIBelgarathMTH
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @bbman1000 - from the description (turned bitter and wants to be left alone), you are probably Heroic Neutral. Or the pirate Blackbeard, on rent.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    @Mortianna:

If we're doing the "food for thought" game, here's a couple more:

1) I don't know about other places but in northeast USA there seems to be strong cultural support for philosophies that, at least to me, appear CG. When I first posted this poll, I expected a heavy chaotic response for much that reason (that, and I'm a pessimistic LN). However, it could be other things... perhaps chaotic people are more likely to respond to polls? If this poll was taken in a different time and place, would it produce different results or are humans naturally C / CG (or some other alignment)?

2) Remember that, even in a proper scientific context, statistical analysis rarely proves a causation; it just suggests correlation. Specifically, even if this these polls could be proven to have scientific merit, it would be impossible to say that "our alignment dictates PC alignment." Rather, we would have to say "there seems to be a correlation between our believed alignment and our PC alignment." Perhaps they both have a common cause. If so, how do we find out what that cause might be...

@elminster:

A well performed act of necromancy; I had forgotten this forum even existed. The thread seems alive and kicking now.

Some food for thought for you: I challenge you to come up with a problem that could NOT be solved with some combination of duct tape and necromancy.
    BelgarathMTH
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@elminster:

A well performed act of necromancy; I had forgotten this forum even existed. The thread seems alive and kicking now.

Some food for thought for you: I challenge you to come up with a problem that could NOT be solved with some combination of duct tape and necromancy.

Are we talking about coming up with a theoretical problem that has to be solved exclusively using duct tape and necromancy, or does is this a theoretical problem that can allow for the inclusion of other tools on top of duct tape and necromancy?
    edited June 2013
    @mortianna I voted Chaotic good in yours and Neutral Good in this one :)

(no idea when I voted in yours but I gather it was a long time ago)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Come on guys, noone here is evil, or even close. Not really. Evil isnt cool either. Everybody cares about their closest and wouldnt do really bad things to people, for instance to get a million dollars or something else you desire.

If not, go see a psychiatrist - you lack emphaty.

Not giving to charity and being misanthropic doesnt make you evil either. I honestly doubt the numbers that are in the neutral spectrum too. I think most people are lawful good, even if it sounds boring ;)
    BelgarathMTH
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited June 2013
    I'm either Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Evil.

And i'm feeling especially Evil today.

And, no, most people are not good. They are neutral, at best.
    EntropyXII
    Mortianna said:

If New Englanders may support CG philosophies more than the average American, why do they keep voting for authoritarians who support the corporatist state?

Good question. I don't know. Whatever the case, the culture appears to value the ideal of a strong and independent personality that follows their heart and rebels against authority in socially constructive ways. The culture, as I've been exposed to it, seems very consistent on this idea. I have a few ideas why they vote the way they do but I would much rather hear what a doctoral candidate in sociology has to say!

And no, I'm not accusing you of any sort of scientific infidelity. That's just the sort of thing that interests a science guy like me; it creates questions of its own nature.
    elminster said:

Are we talking about coming up with a theoretical problem that has to be solved exclusively using duct tape and necromancy, or does is this a theoretical problem that can allow for the inclusion of other tools on top of duct tape and necromancy?

Which ever one entertains the best.

When my friends and I play that game, we try to stick as best we can to just duct tape and necromancy but an entertaining result trumps any implied challenge restrictions.
    elminster
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I have always been a good hearted free spirit
  • KlakierKlakier Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    Mornmagor said:

I'm either Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Evil.

And i'm feeling especially Evil today.

And, no, most people are not good. They are neutral, at best.

Nice try, Sauron.
    But still i think the world isn't full of Machiavellis Kings, avatars of Hitler and Stalin. Most of people DO care about others, also they can do something bad but still they can feel bad about that. And that's why they can not be lawful evil. It's really hard to find someone who didn't care of nothing, and use laws just for his own good.
    MornmagorAristillius
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited June 2013
    This is a fun thread as we said, push it more, and crash it.

There is no such thing as true lawful evil per d&d in the world. And there is no lawful good either. Our interpretation of good and evil based on the ethics we created, means nothing.

If people were really good Klakier, they would give a damn about what's happening to the world and do something about it. Outside of our own "advanced" civilization. But i'll leave it at that and not push it any more, because this is a delicate matter, can turn into a flame war, and i don't think this is an appropriate place to discuss it.

Delusions of people's goodness always cracks me up though. That's my opinion. I do think the potential to care for, or be "good" is there, but it's just sitting.
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
    EntropyXII[Deleted User]
    Mornmagor said:

But i'll leave it at that and not push it any more, because this is a delicate matter, can turn into a flame war, and i don't think this is an appropriate place to discuss it.

Good call!

It's been a while since this thing has been up so everyone please read the considerations listed on the OP so we stay on topic and don't start any fires.
  • GnollCrushrGnollCrushr Member Posts: 2
    It's a big bad chaotic-neutral world, after all.
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I struggle with being reliable but generally am. I will go out of my way to help others and hold myself to a very high standard. Neutral works for me, I do struggle with the good daily. I'd say my faith keeps me from falling to a point of being apathetic to the plight of others.
    edited June 2013

elminster said:

Which ever one entertains the best.

When my friends and I play that game, we try to stick as best we can to just duct tape and necromancy but an entertaining result trumps any implied challenge restrictions.
    Forget it I'll make it easy so others can chime in. Also my internet has been up and down all day (darn you Bell Canada!) so I'd rather just put this down and have at least a response instead of having to save this and forget that I wrote it up in the first place :D

Anyways, I could undoubtedly create lots of restrictions on any given situation, so instead I'll just make this into something that is certainly solvable but allows for a greater variety of answers.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

While flying a helicopter in the middle of the Sahara desert your helicopter experiences a total system failure. Thankfully you are relatively close to the ground, so you are able to survive the crash. The helicopter however is totalled, to the extent that the tail snapped off from the helicopter and none of the electronic systems are working.

Only moments before this horrible event, your co-pilot had decided now was the optimal time to pig out on supplies. As a result of not being buckled in at the time of the crash he does not survive (but could be revived through magic).

As a result of his actions you have been left with only minimal supplies, enough to last you some of the time it would take you to get to a nearby settlement, but not enough to make it the whole way. At least not on foot anyways.

With that in mind how do you make it to a nearby settlement utilising duct tape and necromancy?
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    strange enough,
    so many good and neutral choices despite the corresponding NPCs are weaker on average than evil ones...

the best fighters - Dorn, Kagian
    the best mages - Edwin, Baeloth, Xzar
    the best cleric - Viconia
    Monty, the Excellent... cannot even imagine what will I do without him in BG2:EE (?go thief myself)

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I would have once said Lawful Neutral as I'm a stickler for routine and discipline, but after playing Planescape: Torment I realised I'm more True Neutral. I don't like extremes and try to be objective in every situation. It's not easy finding balance in a world full of extremes.

I think some people take the alignment system too seriously here. It's a fun system but doesn't apply to real life situations. Good and evil, law and chaos are ideas and their meaning changes from place to place.
    EntropyXIIBelgarathMTHlolien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    Southpaw said:

@bbman1000 - from the description (turned bitter and wants to be left alone), you are probably Heroic Neutral. Or the pirate Blackbeard, on rent.

@Southpaw

And you got your tropes mixed up, the one you are looking for is Noble Demon not Heroic Neutral silly boy :P

Here's mine:I have gotten True Neutral on quizzes and then Chaotic Neutral on quizzes, then Neutral Good or Chaotic Good. Someone on a forum called Neutral Good,

I personally think I'm a combination of all those alignments.

But if you wanna try to stick me in an alignment based on which alignment lines up the best with what i

described good luck lol.

I believe that everyone should be free to do whatever they want as long as they are ready to face the

consequences of their actions.

I also don't believe that good or evil exists,

as they are just labels people slap on actions without considering their intentions behind said actions these

individuals do Like for example:

I will do actions that people deem "good" for the sake of doing it very rarely. But most of the time i do it to

make myself feel good

and because i figure eventually it will end up delivering a big payoff for me which it has so far,

i also follow the same logic for doing things people deem "bad" like fucking with people without

caring about their feelings,

unless i think they are too weak to handle it.

I also absolutely adore money and will take every opportunity i have to get it whether its mooching it off of

someone or convincing someone into giving it to me without giving it a second thought.

I also am very selfish and will go to extreme lengths to make sure that i have lots and lots for me and forget everyone else

because I'm paranoid that if i don't keep it in my vicinity it will all be taken from me and that is not acceptable.

I also don't trust anyone at all no matter what they are considered and think that they are out to oppress me

one way or another whether its rules and regulations, some social construct nonsense they keep trying to

shove down my throat or people in cars that block my way when I'm trying to get somewhere in which i

respond to with lots of curse words.

Three more things: i crave attention but only the kind of attention where I'm lusted after otherwise i will
    become hostile and flip out.

And i hate the idea of gender, because then I'm very limited if i go with being a male or female as both are

oppressed out the Wazoo.

And lastly i don't use violence of any kind because I'm not prepared for it
    and i don't trust that they will just fight back but instead try to sue and use the law to screw me over even more.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited June 2013
    demented said:

I would have once said Lawful Neutral as I'm a stickler for routine and discipline, but after playing Planescape: Torment I realised I'm more True Neutral. I don't like extremes and try to be objective in every situation. It's not easy finding balance in a world full of extremes.

I think some people take the alignment system too seriously here. It's a fun system but doesn't apply to real life situations. Good and evil, law and chaos are ideas and their meaning changes from place to place.

@demented

Interesting, i always thought of myself as one of the three Neutrals.

That's your opinion and i respect that. But i have to point out that i don't exactly go around referring to it when a moral or ethical situation comes up with someone, i solve it with whatever comes to mind.
    I can see where you are coming from with the whole ideas and their meanings changing from place to place but i still think it can work to a certain extent when it comes to telling some people's natures but that's me.

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    demented said:

The fact that that could serve as a page quote for True Neutral in a Players' Handbook is irrelevant! :P
    georgelappiesSouthpawBelgarathMTH[Deleted User]
    edited June 2013

@LadyEibhilinRhett

Here's mine:I have gotten True Neutral on quizzes and then Chaotic Neutral on quizzes, then Neutral Good or Chaotic Good. Someone on a forum called Neutral Good,

But if you wanna try to stick me in an alignment based on which alignment lines up the best with what i

described good luck lol.

I believe that everyone should be free to do whatever they want as long as they are ready to face the

as they are just labels people slap on actions without considering their intentions behind said actions these

I will do actions that people deem "good" for the sake of doing it very rarely. But most of the time i do it to

make myself feel good

and because i figure eventually it will end up delivering a big payoff for me which it has so far,

i also follow the same logic for doing things people deem "bad" like fucking with people without

I also absolutely adore money and will take every opportunity i have to get it whether its mooching it off of

someone or convincing someone into giving it to me without giving it a second thought.

I also am very selfish and will go to extreme lengths to make sure that i have lots and lots for me and forget everyone else

because I'm paranoid that if i don't keep it in my vicinity it will all be taken from me and that is not acceptable.

I also don't trust anyone at all no matter what they are considered and think that they are out to oppress me

one way or another whether its rules and regulations, some social construct nonsense they keep trying to

shove down my throat or people in cars that block my way when I'm trying to get somewhere in which i

Three more things: i crave attention but only the kind of attention where I'm lusted after otherwise i will

And i hate the idea of gender, because then I'm very limited if i go with being a male or female as both are

oppressed out the Wazoo.

and i don't trust that they will just fight back but instead try to sue and use the law to screw me over even more.
    edited June 2013
    @Southpaw This wasn't mine but someone else s i was quoting and it got mixed up.

described good luck lol.

make myself feel good

oppressed out the Wazoo.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @bbman1000, I'm sorry, but I can't read that wall of text until you break it down into two or three sentence paragraphs. The enter key is your friend when you post on the internet. Use it liberally and often.
    Mortianna
  • @belgarathmth Well it should be easier to read now, and i did use the enter key a lot with it.
    BelgarathMTHMalicron
    @bbman1000 - ffs. That is a hilariously evil troll. I don't know whether to shun you or tip my hat to you.
    Malicron
  • @Southpaw So i am one of the evil alignments?
    Chaotic ones, definitely.
    Mortianna