Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    LAst update from Project Qternity with the dynamic lighting and water effect is just beatifull. You can really see obsidian made a huge step forward. Really in love with their work so far!
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Zafiro said:

Doesn't it feel to good to be true to you guys? The number of upcoming cRPGs is ridiculous - PE, Torment, Divinity: OS, Wasteland, Chaos Chronicles, Grimrock, Age of Wonders III, Grim Dawn and many others.

This is what happens when the world doesn't end when it's supposed to - 2d is back in business.

Among the titles you mention, only PE and Torment are "2D", and even then only partially; NPCs and creatures will be 3D in both games.

Otherwise though I really share the feeling; classical cRPGs are seeing an epic comeback, and it's about damn time they did!

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited April 2013
    Mornmagor said:

The backrounds look awesome, the water, the effects, the lighting, all superb.

But the character models they showed in that video, and their animations, were just... out of place. I assume they are not finalized, but they won't look much different.

I'm afraid that's an inevitable consequence of mixing pre-rendered backgrounds with "real-time-rendered" characters. Every game I've seen try that had this unnatural look. This is why personally I was not in favor of using pre-rendered backgrounds in P:E nor in Torment. I would have preferred a less detailed but more consistent look. Apparently the vast majority of backers thought otherwise... so that's what they'll get.

Perhaps PE and Torment will prove that in 2014, it's possible to achieve an actually seamless blend between 2d and 3d, but from early videos of both games, they're not quite there yet.

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Couple more pictures.

• gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    These are the guys who should be making Baldur's Gate 3
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    This actually looks better and better.

11 classes to choose from, nice races you can relate to in d&d terms, companions, and a flexible system where you can be even a mage in plate.

It gives a BG feeling but seems to want to surpass the boundaries that AD&D placed on it.

Let's see how that works out, and of course how will the story be. I'm pretty hopeful though since Avellone is part of it.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Lots of classes is also a good thing from my perspective. My biggest criticism of newer RPG's is the streamlined classes lead to a lack of variety in the game. Dragon Age is essentially three choices (rogue/mage/fighter), so you end up with NPC's that aren't what you are. Ditto Mass Effect, but it didn't bother me as much in that setting, as it made sense (and is more an action game than an RPG).

I am very optimistic about the game, and am waiting to see the first reviews (and bugs) before jumping on the bandwagon and/or purchasing the game.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Looks like what we were hoping for from the EEs before we found out the source art was lost.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Looks awesome!
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Obsidian is by far the most awesomenest RPG company these days!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Messi said:

The only problem they ever had was adhering to the usually rather strict schedules and having to squeeze their games out early. Now that they not only can do whatever the hell they want, but can take as long as they need for it, only sky is the limit.

I am looking forward to what we end up getting. Hopefully it will also teach other publishers to allow their developers take the time they need (hahaha, yeah right).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Going back to Eador: Masters of the Broken World. It's been out a little bit now I think, anybody have any opinions of it?
    Chow said:

Messi said:

The only problem they ever had was adhering to the usually rather strict schedules and having to squeeze their games out early. Now that they not only can do whatever the hell they want, but can take as long as they need for it, only sky is the limit.

I am looking forward to what we end up getting. Hopefully it will also teach other publishers to allow their developers take the time they need (hahaha, yeah right).
    Seriously in agreement. KOTOR2 was phenomenal in that it made sense to be something other than a warrior archetype - Obsidian has always made it beneficial to be 'something else', making the game very fun to approach from different angles. Similarly (obnoxious camera control and funny hats notwithstanding), I really liked NWN2 (even more so MOTB). If I could only get it to install in WIN7 (it doesn't like the CD swapping and I can't make it work).

I'm very optimistic about this game. I think the RPG = FPS idea is losing traction and that the non-console action types are about to get some games that they (we) want. I see this as a very positive development. Mass Age/Dragon Effect is sort of what I'm talking about.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2013
    @smeagolheart, in short - "At the end of the day, Eador: Masters of the Broken World stands as a strong and highly enjoyable strategy-RPG which can easily go toe-to-toe with the best in the genre, provided you are not opposed to spending a large number of hours getting familiar with the game. With lots of replay value, an extensive campaign with multiple endings, and some very well balanced and challenging combat and strategy, Eador is the best of many worlds. It's just a shame it released in the state it did, and I can only recommend the game right now for those who have faith the bugs will be squashed in the coming months, or those who simply don't mind putting up with them."

Source: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/111458-eador-masters-of-the-broken-world-review.html

I did it again..; sorry for the off topic, I came here for the new art of PE; almost to good to be true.
  • gnappomangnappoman Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    Hello, why on earth they aren't developing BG3 RIGHT NOW??? They saw the interest (4.000.000$ in DONATIONS to PE isn't enough??!?). They just want BG to die, that's the truth! :(
  • gnappomangnappoman Member Posts: 8
    .. forgetting ..
    @Zafiro
    we really don't give a single quack about Eador: Masters of the Broken World
    not only it's OT, but, I don't want to be rude, it is the kind of RPG game nobody was expecting.
    Besides it looks like some old animated chess games in battle mode.
    gnappoman said:

Speak for yourself.

As for why they do not do a new Baldur's Gate - it's because they do not have the rights to do so. Copyright is a thing.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2013
    gnappoman said:

Hello, why on earth they aren't developing BG3 RIGHT NOW??? They saw the interest (4.000.000$ in DONATIONS to PE isn't enough??!?). They just want BG to die, that's the truth! :(

Are you talking about Overhaul or Obsidian?
    gnappoman said:

.. forgetting ..
    @Zafiro
    not only it's OT, but, I don't want to be rude, it is the kind of RPG game nobody was expecting.
    Besides it looks like some old animated chess games in battle mode.

Well, wasn't it supposed to be an RPG/Strategy hybrid?
    11 classes and 5 races = pure awesome

I also like the little things I see on the wiki like how flails negate the defense bonus shields give.
    "They should be making Baldur's Gate 3"

They are making something different. It might be a very good RPG. It won't have the Baldur's Gate name. Who cares if it's called Baldur's Gate? It might be very good and the start of a new franchise.
    I don't much care about the name Baldur's Gate, although I do like AD&D 2nd edition, and Forgotten Realms even more. This project looks very promising even without those, though - sometimes even better, mechanically.

As for the start of a new franchise, the sequel should be named Project Infinity.
    I just want a really good game, so I'm hoping this will be it. Until then, I have a new thing to play (new to me) XCOM: Enemy Unknown. My soldiers keep getting killed, but I'm having sort-of fun.
    I liked the original XCOM: Terror from the Deep was the first XCOM game I played. It was great. I tried the tutorial in XCOM: Enemy Unknown and it really turned me off. It was too long and boring and I'm not a huge fan of the glam cam thing. Maybe I'll give it another look someday. Especially if the patches keep coming this far between them :)
    @smeagolheart - I didn't play any of the older ones, as they came at a time when game money was very limited. Anyway, you can skip the tutorial part if you get how it works. I like the game, even if it is very challenging for me.

I hope they darken the areas and make night not so bright for the final version. Why have ambient wall lighting in a dungeon if you can see the whole dungeon anyhow?

I agree. This has always bothered me in a lot of games, and a good all-enveloping darkness would add in a great deal of atmosphere.
  • VikingRVikingR Member Posts: 88
    There are a couple of new Screenshots in the GameStar preview.

Take a look here:
    http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/project-eternity/artikel/project_eternity,48834,3024992.html
    VikingR said:

There are a couple of new Screenshots in the GameStar preview.

Take a look here:
    http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/project-eternity/artikel/project_eternity,48834,3024992.html

Looking good!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Its gonna be huge ;)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I am SO looking forward to this. So, how long after launch do you think before people start trying to run Infinity Engine games on the Project Eternity engine? :P