Skip to content

If you were holding your breath for the Android release... stop.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Frebu It went from not in the plans to a version that compiled very fast and that´s quite complicated actually. After getting a version that could be compiled the problem was discovered. If not for the pkg reading/writing problem, Android version would probably have been out BEFORE the IPad version that had problems of its own.

Anyway once it's solved it will be released and as Trent Oster said, all versions will be updated at the same time. Also maintenance and updating of BGEE will not cease after the launch of BG2EE.
    Schopenhauer
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    @Frebu

Back up a second guy.

The Android version is the version currently getting the bulk of the attention from the primary engine programmer. It will be the next version to ship. They built the game on it and found that there were some serious issues that they had to re-write the engine to handle, which is what they are working on right now. The MAC version was just closer to being done, and was last of the 'initial 3' that were promised to ship. Now that MAC is done the full focus is on Android, which was promised 4th.
    Schopenhauer
  • FrebuFrebu Member Posts: 14
    @mlnevese
    mlnevese said:

@Frebu It went from not in the plans to a version that compiled very fast and that´s quite complicated actually. After getting a version that could be compiled the problem was discovered. If not for the pkg reading/writing problem, Android version would probably have been out BEFORE the IPad version that had problems of its own.

Anyway once it's solved it will be released and as Trent Oster said, all versions will be updated at the same time. Also maintenance and updating of BGEE will not cease after the launch of BG2EE.

This first paragraph is still "they did a bunch of work.......then had to start over" which means development was actually slow....

As for the second part......promises=/=fact. Not to mention each system is going to have system specific bugs(like the intel chip bug for pc not affecting the Mac intel chips) that will be prioritized. Even if every system gets pushed the general updates at the same time, the content of said updates is still up in the air.
    Aristillius
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Frebu I can't actually prove otherwise without breaking my NDA so either you will accept my word or you won't. Android is in the works. Both the I/O routines and the graphics engine are being rewritten and that takes time. The developer will not drop any supported platform and BGEE will have continued support after the release of BG2EE.
    AristilliusSchopenhauer
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Oooh! Who's a happy bunny? Somebody get Alora in here!
    mlnevese
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    They are almost to the device testing phase! I take this to mean it will be at the very least 2-3 more weeks (assuming no other issues arise).

Aristillius
  • GuiltMachineGuiltMachine Member Posts: 3
    Any new?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Nope
  • LivsiLivsi Member Posts: 2
    (
  • TheDudeTheDude Member Posts: 8
    I knew I should have bought the iPad instead...
  • NuttyNutty Member Posts: 17
    Still no android release?
    Starting to smell like epic fail to me.. :-/
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited June 2013
    It's going through some additional QA.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19010/patch-status
    SouthpawChet
    Nutty said:

Still no android release?
    Starting to smell like epic fail to me.. :-/

Nah. It will do good. There is still a lot of fans that will appreciate a good RPG on an Android tablet. Especially, some of the old fans who had the game 14 years ago are somewhat oldschool and wouldn't be caught dead holding a hipster iPad.
    The only thing that I am afraid of, is that the sales will be actually worse than predicted simply because of the fact that it comes out half a year/year/year and a half (strike-trough the incorrect after release) later than the original PC version.
    And that's because many potential buyers already bought the game on PC and by the time it comes out on Android will have the game beaten 3 times already and won't bother to buy it for the Android.

AristilliusDjimmy
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    There was a time- let's call BFTE rather that BC- since one must be politically correct on the internet... That is "Before Tiax Era" when the world was soft and foolish without direction and proper rule. and then:

"Boom Tiax Rules!"

The world is ripe for a divine inspired and appointed monarch who cannot fail due to his Clerical Powers and Cleverness and the Great Weight of his mighty Mace over those who would oppose his Ascension. There can be no failure in this work of art. The Beamdawg employees have sworn to serve Cyric and have all become madly entrenched in Chaos and the Greatness of Power over idiots like Quayle. They are slaves no servants of the Best and Most Perfect of All a world and a Rule without End. There will be no Drizzit Failures of some old fat baseball bat blabbering wizard of games.

You will finish the game and give Tiax his Proper unfettered Rule in Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced rendition. Cyric commands it.

Do you want to see reading some sad PDF on my Nexus in Starbucks looking thoughtful and intelligent. Would not everyone be better pleased if they saw a guffawling man in his 30s clenching his fist and yelling "Call on Holy might.... HA HA DIE WIZARD SCUM TIAX RULES!" egendering curious and frightened stares from the surrounding yuppies and cool college kids studying and texting....?
    SouthpawAristillius
    ...on the other hand, the more the Android release is delayed, the more we get of @Beowulf's crazy awesome ramblings. In that case, I'd vouch for laying it off for a while, they are hilarious to read.
    Aristillius
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    @Southpaw
    Did someone say Hipster?
    @Chet - I love xkcd :)
    Yep, I try to keep the insanity value in my posts high.
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I find that wafting vast amounts if money at people, goes a long way. Can anyone tell me where to start wafting?

I find that wafting vast amounts if money at people, goes a long way. Can anyone tell me where to start wafting?

Try here (http://www.beamdog.com/about/EULA):
    Beamdog C/O IdeaSpark Labs
    #200 10143 82 Ave
    Edonton, Alberta, Canada
    T6H 1Z5
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    Chet said:

Try here (http://www.beamdog.com/about/EULA):
    Beamdog C/O IdeaSpark Labs
    #200 10143 82 Ave
    Edonton, Alberta, Canada
    T6H 1Z5
    Sent a cheque this morning! Here's hoping.
    @MystraTheMage - was that check for 10$ with a note: "Buy Cam some strong coffee" ?
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    It is drawing to a close. The world will soon transmogrify into an economic crashed cannibal motorcycle gang prepper day dream. But, that is inevitable and nothing short of inventing monkey clone slaves who excrete beef and whiz fresh water will halt that. What is the greater question is if I will be able to buy Baldurs Gate I and BG TOB for my android. I can charge with my stealth ninja solar cell and store it in my otter box when I am forging rivers hidden from zombie indians who have wandered from the city in packs looking for human walking hamburgers. We all know the red dawn is getting near and I need to have my games set aside before the lights go out and the power grid is destroyed by chinese electronic blow out weapons. I am not worried about the beamdawg employees. I know they are all in the Cult of Cyric and will be the first to make Tiax the new ruler of the americas and of course they all have stores of nacho bags hidden in their basements for the time when their mom's ground them for LARPing in KFC and then having to get picked up at the police station by the consolatory matrons. But I am of course like the vault dweller perfectly good and ready for such a situation too. my mountain cabin in Montana is stocked with pickled turnips and jolt cola. and of course multiple generators and 1995 desktops that will run D1and 2, Fallout, BG2, and Barbie Super Dress Up. But the overhanging doom of society hangs over me will beamdawgers finish the games in time before the UN tropps paratroop in and poison all the water supply with girlish inducing herbal teas?
    DJLongstrideAristillius
  • caffinatedcaffinated Member Posts: 1
    At this point you should probably rename it to Baldur's Gate: Duke Nukem Forever edition.

As time goes on, more and more people are going to stop checking for updates.
  • babalonisbabalonis Member Posts: 3
    They better release it before Shadowrun Returns comes out otherwise I believe much profit will be lost.
  • KubusKubus Member Posts: 15
    'Much profit' won't come around anyway. Most of the people who would buy an app for that price would have been the one's that have played the original and / or already knew about the remake long before it hit the PlayStore. This group is looking at the 'Coming soon' sign for 9 months now. If you don't want second class sales on a platform, don't treat your customers like second class people. But hey, another ace in the sleeve: you can always blame the Android ecosystem for bad sales!
    SonnobluDJLongstride
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Or you could blame whiners. Yeah, I'll stick with that.
    alnair
  • vnkwerjauvnkwerjau Member Posts: 28
    It will no longer be released. The end has come :(
    For those that can't wait to hear the sweet sounds of Baldur's Gate coming from your Android device, your wait is over: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_Astron82.BaldurssoundFinal1
    (Note: I did not create this app.)
  • Garreth17Garreth17 Member Posts: 1
    Sooo, no BGEE for android?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not for a while; at least, not until after the contract issues are resolved.