Skip to content

[BG:EE] The most useful wand

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Wand of Paralyzation is useful for preventing overzealous Flaming Fist from initiating conversation and summoning their posse. Chumps.
    JuliusBorisovSCARY_WIZARDAndreaColombo
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Wand of fire…
    (All bandits, you tell me, I feel it, are dead left
    I'm heading back into the tunnel for some kobolds to burn)
    Wand of fire...
    (I'm coming, you coming, no hiding, my feeling
    I wanna take it to the Sarevok himself, yeah...)
    Whoo Whoo
    Whoo Whoo

Wire me up to traps
    I'll be the last
    Find it hard to believe
    You are my victim
    I'm on fire behind you
    Heads a fallen sky
    ZaramMaldovar
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Paralyzation. Then Polymorph or Frost.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    interesting... there's no wand of lightning choice so far.
    how about closed space combat - dungeon for instance? lightning being launched from shadows and at a proper angle becomes the scythe of death.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2013
    Urd1en said:

how about closed space combat - dungeon for instance? lightning being launched from shadows and at a proper angle becomes the scythe of death.

This is a two sided blade and everytime i'm in a close space if it's me casting or the enemy casting a lightning bolt i can't help but cry a little bit inside. I never touch that spell or wand when i play (No-reload) as it's a risk i'm not willing to take. Last time i faced that spell was in durlags tower and it ended like this :

Charname : 3/92
    Jaheira : 12/86
    Khalid : dead
    Imoen : dead
    Gond (F/C own made character) : dead

I didn't fire that bolt but i'm equally scared if it's myself or the enemy. And yes i do know you can aim them so they aren't as harmful to your own team, but what if....
    elminsterSCARY_WIZARDDreadKhan
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If there actually was some sort of aiming interface like in ToEE IIRC, I'd be casting spells like lightning bolt and fireball more often.
    MortiannaMalicronSCARY_WIZARD
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Sleep wands can be used by anybody, which makes it one of only two wands that should even be considered for most "useful".
    elminster
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2013
    Wand of Summoning I've often fallen back on when enemy mages are involved, and they have already buffed. Then I feel the need to occupy them as soon as possible. The battle at the end of Neera's quest, where at least two enemy mages are reeling off spells, comes to mind. It would have been really hard to get through that one without occupying one of them with a meat shield so they could be handled one at a time. I also once used the wand of summoning desparately to occupy the vampiric wolves to get my tanks out of their range for awhile.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

If there actually was some sort of aiming interface like in ToEE IIRC, I'd be casting spells like lightning bolt and fireball more often.

MORE AGREES! MORE AGREES! Seriously, I LOVED that aspect of that game! Complete with a cool-looking radius indicator, like in WarCraft games, please, possibly the Symbol of Bhaal. Awkward when you're casting holy smite, yes, but want in one hand, wish in the other, eh?
    SionIV said:

I didn't fire that bolt but i'm equally scared if it's myself or the enemy. And yes i do know you can aim them so they aren't as harmful to your own team, but what if....

One time, in the wilderness in Amn, I cast that, and...lo and behold, the friggin' thing rebounded on me. We survived, but man did that suck.
    Ugh, and looking at the spell description in one of the P&P rulebooks, it's working as intended. :/
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I just knew these 3 would win :D I went for monster summoning. Some quick fodder monsters/animals put between you and some hard hitting dude can really save your life. Fire is second for me, as it can be used in many situations, and Paralization is 3rd, but they are all very close. Frost would be 4th I think. Nice single target damage.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Oh, wow, Wand of Lightning got no votes... I wonder why... :D
    SCARY_WIZARD[Deleted User]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Senash said:

Oh, wow, Wand of Lightning got no votes... I wonder why... :D

I use wand of lightning more in BG2. When my characters are beefier and can take a reflected shot to the head. I find it more useful there as you can throw out more than one bolt at a time at different targets. In close quarters, with a invisible lightning immune character you can really watch the sparks fly. It definitely beats out wand of fire in the sequel.
    SCARY_WIZARDMortianna
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Hmmm Wand of Paralization and then Wand of Fire. You're burning and can't do a thing about it.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Because it's the only wand I ever used regularly.
    I have NEVER ever ever used the wands of sleep, Paralyzation or Lightning....EVER.....time to overlook my wand use for next playthru.... =)
    edited June 2013
    SionIV said:

Urd1en said:

This is a two sided blade and everytime i'm in a close space if it's me casting or the enemy casting a lightning bolt i can't help but cry a little bit inside. I never touch that spell or wand when i play (No-reload) as it's a risk i'm not willing to take. Last time i faced that spell was in durlags tower and it ended like this :

Charname : 3/92
    Jaheira : 12/86
    Khalid : dead
    Imoen : dead
    Gond (F/C own made character) : dead

Do not touch the lighter - use matches then.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

MORE AGREES! MORE AGREES! Seriously, I LOVED that aspect of that game! Complete with a cool-looking radius indicator, like in WarCraft games, please, possibly the Symbol of Bhaal. Awkward when you're casting holy smite, yes, but want in one hand, wish in the other, eh?

Cool idea. Feature request? ;)
    Malicron
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Go into melee combat, against a doomguard? Are you mad? I think I'll stand back here and throw a hoard or two at it.
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    I once tried for ages to work out the angles for the wand of lightning. It's bloody impossible to predict its flight path. All we know for certain is that it'll likely come back towards your party at some stage. Who'd have thought that angles in an isometric game could be so difficult.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I once tried for ages to work out the angles for the wand of lightning. It's bloody impossible to predict its flight path. All we know for certain is that it'll likely come back towards your party at some stage. Who'd have thought that angles in an isometric game could be so difficult.

Wand would be better if it worked for a cleric or druid. Its quicker for them to get total immunity to electricity.
    edited June 2013
    Guys, what are you talking about??

Dungeon, mage/thief, throw a lightning from shadows and move back then. And try to aim it at enemies not your party members.
    That's it - simple and effective.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Urd1en I've found it easier to aim the Wand of Lightning in Vanilla BG1 than in BGEE. I always make sure I have some amount of lightning immunity (Potion of Absorption, Boots of Grounding, etc.) before using it in confined spaces though. It's pretty much an instant death for anything in a narrow hallway.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Wand of the Heavens is good at killing Noober. Its one of the few times I find it useful.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    brtl33 said:

Wand of paralyzation for me. The things that wand of fire and wand of sleep eliminate aren't usually that difficult to kill, but when I use WoP on something, it's because I need to use it on that thing. The other wand might be more versatile, but for me, the WoP is the most useful because it fills a need.

I agree with you in principal. Although at the time you have the wand of sleep, that helps you either deal with stuff that is tough for that level, or more often prevents you from having to risk a potential critical hit from something minor when something major is just around the corner.

I personally think they are both useful in their way. I think that we see WoP as more impactful because it takes out bigger monsters, not because we use it more. or at least that is the way I seem to play and see things.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Go into melee combat, against a doomguard? Are you mad? I think I'll stand back here and throw a hoard or two at it.

I know you're a fungus, but try to have some backbone, will you?

Doomguards are easily laid to waste by a few poisonous smites from Golddigger.
    [Deleted User]