Skip to content

Please, don't make Baldur's Gate 3

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Malicron
    Honestly, the actual gameplay of the original Fallouts is just godawful and inexcusable. What could have easily been something as smooth as BG1 or Final Fantasy Tactics was instead a clunky mess with horrendous animations and an unfairly steep learning curve. My biggest complaint with the series is that the steepness of Fallout 2's learning curve is titanic in proportion. At least FO1 provided some viable starting weapons and some reasonable low-level enemies rather than immobile plant monsters that dodge attacks like the wind and have more than twice the HP of the player.

FO3 might have fudged the lore and basically cobbled together a plot out of elements of the first two games, but they greatly improved the gameplay and the overall design over the previous iterations.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Even if they make it and it sucks, why do you care? I doubt it would suck, and I also doubt BG 3 would ever get made unless overhaul makes it. Did you see what they did with the BG ip name before? They made some arcade hack and slash games after BG. At least Overhaul would attempt to make an actual rpg.
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    Staying loyal to FO1, FO2 and FOT! :-)
    Good retro games should stay retro, not get turned into consolified mainstream FPS rubbish.
    For me, Fallout3 is just another random fps game that you find hundreds of on almost all platforms.

Good retro games should stay retro, not get turned into consolified mainstream FPS rubbish.
    For me, Fallout3 is just another random fps game that you find hundreds of on almost all platforms.

It's...really not like that at all. For one thing, it's not even limited to the first-person perspective. The amount of RPG mechanics and exploration in that game make such a sentiment laughable, really.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited June 2013
    @Zzidolfas86 - I am guessing that you never played FO3 or New Vegas if you think that it is in any way an FPS. Having played it myself, I see almost no resemblance to FPS what so ever other than the POV. But there ends any similarity.

I totally get the love for FO1 and FO2 (tactics was a bit of a jumble in my opinion but to each their own) and I share it. And I totally agree that FO3 is a complete departure from the original. Just saying that "Different" doesn't in all cases mean bad. Ok, in quite a lot of the cases, yes. But not in all cases.

In my opinion, you should try FO3 (fixed. Thanks Dee!) out before passing judgement, and try it with an open mind, not one that is already predisposed towards hating it. If you still hate it, and some do, fine. But don't judge based on appearances and the fact that it is different from the original.

All in my opinion only.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

In my opinion, you should try FO3 out before passing judgement

Fixed. ;)
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    Tried, played and finished all of them tyvm :-)
    They were all fine games, but there is nothing special, original, new or honestly very catchy about them.
    I am a very picky person when it comes to games, and fallout3 for me is just not a worthy followup to a fantastic game series. It did not live up to _MY_ expectations, and I honestly dont care about yours :p

And belive it or not, I am being very open minded about it.
    This is a series that I played and loved growing up and I am simply not happy with Fallout3.
    Is it such a problem for you that I dont agree with you and the dude above with a really strange nick...
    If so you should get out more :p

Feel free to come with the "your argument is invalid comebacks", I wont bother with responding as this is waaaay off-topic. ;)

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Let them give birth to a Baldur's Gate 3. I know them; they will do well.

And if they won't, I will create a sequel myself.
    @Zzidolfas86 - I am sorry you took my post as offensive as you clearly did. It was not intended as such. Your initial statement was that FO3 was a "consolified mainstream FPS rubbish". I am unclear how anyone who has played the game can have any such thoughts. Clearly I am wrong about that. Obviously you see the game much differently than I do.

You are entitled to your opinion about the game. Fair enough.

I am entitled to mine as well. In mine, Fallout 3 is nothing at all like an FPS. It has significant role play elements and is a wide open sandbox game. there is a rich story line with multiple nodes and potential paths, neither of which are usually present in most FPS games today that I am aware of. It also has a sense of humor and offers a welcome walk in the Fallout Universe in my opinion. If FPS games have one tenth of all of this, I have been playing the wrong FPS games.

But absolutely you are entitled to your opinion on the subject.

Tried, played and finished all of them tyvm :-)
    They were all fine games, but there is nothing special, original, new or honestly very catchy about them.
    I am a very picky person when it comes to games, and fallout3 for me is just not a worthy followup to a fantastic game series. It did not live up to _MY_ expectations, and I honestly dont care about yours :p

And belive it or not, I am being very open minded about it.
    This is a series that I played and loved growing up and I am simply not happy with Fallout3.
    Is it such a problem for you that I dont agree with you and the dude above with a really strange nick...
    If so you should get out more :p

Feel free to come with the "your argument is invalid comebacks", I wont bother with responding as this is waaaay off-topic. ;)

You're entitled to your opinions. I merely pointed out how, as you presented it, your opinion could be easily dismantled and made you sound as if you'd never actually experienced FO3 beyond looking at screenshots. As somebody who logged over two-hundred hours into FO3, asserting that it was "just another random FPS" struck me as wholly ridiculous. To be honest, I still find your claim that you played it highly dubious based on that assertion.

Anyway, like I said you're entitled to your opinion. But, let's not pretend opinions are somehow sacrosanct, cannot be criticized, and cannot be presented or voiced in a ridiculous way by those that hold them.
    @deltago - I am a fan of both the classic Fallout 1-2 and of Fallout 3. But yes, it does tend to be very polarizing. I don't think that the developers had much choice in the direction that Fallout 3 went though. I mean creatively, yes. But I'd bet that someone high up 'Decided' to make it a first person perspective instead of the isometric perspective of the original as the FPS and better graphics tend to sell better these days. With that having been done (or not), I think the team that came out with Fallout 3 did a great job of at least trying to pay homage to the original.

As for open world versus a dedicated story line, I liked the fact that you could wander all over the place in BG1 whereas BG2 you had very specific places you could go with only random encounters between. I personally would like a bit of both. Although it isn't as popular in these forums, I quite liked the intent (if not necessarily the execution) of Storm of Zehir in NWN2. The overhead map allowed you to stomp around across the entire world without having to be bogged down with loading ZONES. It reminded me very much of one of my favorite modules "The lost caverns of Tsojcanth". You had to find the caverns. They weren't merely a way point on the map. But that's my preference and I would be happy either way if they came out with BG3.

If BG3 comes out, I would be perfectly fine if it wasn't necessarily a continuation of Charname from BG1. In fact, I'd be just as happy if we started out as a whole new character and had to find out what ever became of the original companions and Bhaalspawn. That might make for some interesting story telling. Just a thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SparrowhawkSparrowhawk Member Posts: 5
    I would really really like to see a BG3. I'd probably prefer for it to stick to its roots as much as possible (in graphics or 'feel'. I know how ambiguous that sounds)

I, for one, just really like the Forgotten Realms as a setting and no game has ever made it more real for me than BG or its sequels have. Judging by what I've seen already in BG:EE, I think this team has what it takes to make a fully original sequel which would satisfy me. I just hope they get the chance.

That said, it makes me happy to know that there are fans of Baldur's Gate out there who feel so strongly about the series that they flesh out their ideas for a perfect sequel and...let's say...'refuse to settle for less' ^^''

You folks are all awesome.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I used to think that. I was one of those die hard fans who wasn't about to give Bethesda the time and day. Didn't think they had what it took to make a Fallout game. My belief was that only the original designers could do it right.

I saw the game trailers and my mind started to change. I said what the hell and bought Fallout 3. Played it and haven't looked back since. One of the best games (with mods) that I still play. What Obsidian did with Fallout New Vegas, was almost perfection. After they patched it of course.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Bethesda won my trust slowly over most of a decade. They (generally) deliver a solid core product and keep patching at it till they get it squared.

It is my hope that the same paradigm can be followed with BGEE despite current developments.
  • electrobanelectroban Member Posts: 57
    I played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 when they both got released and hit the shelves. I'm not going to blindly follow a retro RPG standard in some vain attempt to sound hip, when there have been clear examples you can bring an authentic tactical fighting experience with DA:O, with a top down view n all that.

Baldur's Gate has a huge hype train behind it,

I want Baldur's Gate 3 to have a huge budget, so whatever they do they can make sure the art style is great and for there to be big attention to detail and overall a huge amount of content and a fleshed out story.

I'm not going to sit here and blindly follow a game developer who polluted Baldur's Gate 1 with additional story lines I literally immediately had no care for. (Maybe its me but I always role with the same party :[)
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    Why would Beamdog follow a "retro RPG" standard? Are you of the opinion that if you typed it, it must be the truth? Their hands were tied when it came to adding new content and its scope, I honestly thought that was abundantly clear. We'll currently have to wait out the legal debacle, of course. Who knows, maybe Beambog will be better off than before.

I assume that you hate what inxile are doing with Torment and Obsidian with Eternity. There's little that puts me off as much as today's low-risk AAA gaming, but I'm repeating myself.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I would love a BG3, but from what I recall of what Trent and co. said about a possible BG3 I'm not sure what they have in mind is something I'd actually want to play. I'd rather have a continuation, but it seems like they're interested in just making an entirely new game but keep the name BG3. Not something I'd look forward to honestly.
    RedGuard said:

I would love a BG3, but from what I recall of what Trent and co. said about a possible BG3 I'm not sure what they have in mind is something I'd actually want to play. I'd rather have a continuation, but it seems like they're interested in just making an entirely new game but keep the name BG3. Not something I'd look forward to honestly.

There's really nothing to continue. CHARNAME's story is over.

A friend of mine once ran a D&D campaign where we played in the Forgotten Realms a few decades after the events of ToB, and a female CHARNAME had become a Lawful Neutral deity of blood and executioners rather than murder. So, there were some ties to the BG franchise, but it was still its own tale. I'd like to see Overhaul do something like that, where we play in the Baldur's Gate city-state but are only vaguely related to the first two games.

I'm not going to sit here and blindly follow a game developer who polluted Baldur's Gate 1 with additional story lines I literally immediately had no care for. (Maybe its me but I always role with the same party :[)

It isn't really Overhaul's fault that your proclivities are incredibly boring.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Based on the added content alone to the EE I honestly don't think that the studio has the chops to give us Baldurs Gate 3. I read on a gamespot news article that Baldur's Gate 3 is very possible, and I think it would be a shame and a travesty to let this glorious IP sink to this kind of low.

Yes I really don't have faith that the developers can bring us a Baldurs Gate 3 - we'd all expect something even better than Baldurs Gate 2. With this developer, I really don't see that as a possibility. Not to mention Baldurs Gate 2 and 1 were built on an engine created over a decade ago. I don't want Baldurs Gate 3 to fall into the hands of a studio too scared to try something new, or too poor to bring a Dragon Age Origins kind of graphical experience.

I want Baldurs Gate 3 to be a next gen game, something epic, not a title crippled and mired to an outdated engine thanks to its predecessors, and unable to get the love it deserve because the current devs are too poor.

It's a great IP, and if they are able to make Baldurs Gate 3, I don't expect anything but a cash grab off an exploit of everyone's nostalga and trust in the brand.

I like the reasoning here, but you can color me nostalgic. I'm all in for the same ole same ole. There's something to be said for holding onto the good old days as opposed to conforming to the new. There is a definite niche in the gaming world for these ancient game engines to make money. I would not overreach.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2013

There's really nothing to continue. CHARNAME's story is over.

Well I've seen people put forth a case for dealing with loose ends from the previous games or just continuing the story. Continuing the story can mean adding another chapter to the Bhaalspawn chapter, but it could also be a different story inolving CHARNAME and his/her companions. I don't personally subscribe to the idea some do that you can't have any games after that.

I'm not personally interested in a BG3 where the only continuity you see from previous games is the odd bit of background lore and at best a cameo from an npc or two. That just seems more like a spin off than a sequel. I think that's fine for another game, but not for BG3.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I am certain you have seen posts by people who strongly dislike a certain movie for whatever reason; sometimes their dislike turns into a rant at which point I stop reading. People who strongly dislike certain games fall into the same category--they believe that a certain game is trash for a handful of reasons and nothing you say will ever disabuse them of that opinion. I always ask the same question to people in those two groups: if your standards are so high and you so elitist in your views that you trash movies/games because they failed to meet your high expectations, then why are you ranting about it on the Internet instead of getting out there and making your own movies/games? If your artistic vision is so grand then you should be making a masterpiece for the rest of us to enjoy. If not, then perhaps you might want to tone it down a notch.

I think BG3 would not only be a wonderful game but I strongly suspect that even if it used an older engine or a new engine and graphics that give a "retro" look that people would still buy it. Nostalgia for the older games coupled with a compelling and well-written storyline and interesting characters with depth would result in a huge hit. It worked for Fallout 3 and it worked even better with New Vegas, both games I enjoyed. Speaking of games built on newer engines with a retro look, I am also eagerly anticipating Wasteland 2--a few haters have wound up disliking the game based solely on the few videos released via the Kickstarter updates but in general I think it will be very well received and that a new generation of Desert Rangers will be born (I was in the first crop back in 1988).

The best way to get the ball rolling on a BG3, once all the legal difficulties have been settled, would be to Kickstarter the project. I know that I would support it.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Honestly, BG3 will never be as great as BG2 because it's simply not BG2, But it can be something else that is just great on it's own. I welcome any attempt at making a serious BG3 game and I will definitely buy it.
  • NolrogNolrog Member Posts: 16

Based on the added content alone to the EE I honestly don't think that the studio has the chops to give us Baldurs Gate 3.

Your argument fails from your first sentence. Because of contractual limitations from the IP holder, they were significantly limited in what they could do. And now you hold that against them as an example of their work is completely short sighted and unfair.

I for one look forward to BG3 and very much hope it comes to fruition.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    RedGuard said:

There has never been any intention by anyone to continue the saga of Charname, because, as others have pointed out, it is over with ToB.

Initially (ten years ago) BG III was intended to tell a completely different story, located in the Dale Lands region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Mathsorcerer: A fallacious argument - one doesn't need to be a director in order to have a critical opinion of a film. By the same token, you don't need to have the ability to write stories in order to critique them.
This discussion has been closed.