Skip to content

GameBanshee update on current situation

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited July 2013
    @Dafojk -
    Then you might as well be speculating on which Kardashian is going to get pregnant next. Because we have more facts about that subject than we do about this.

As for Beamdog making a statement, about what? A third hand and incomplete at best speculation from an anonymous source?
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111

@Dafojk -
    Then you might as well be speculating on which Kardashian is going to get pregnant next. Because we have more facts about that subject than we do about this.

As for Beamdog making a statement, about what? A third hand and incomplete at best speculation from an anonymous source?

Yes, I think they should. Best case senario together with Atari putting these rumors to rest. Gamebanshee isen't an unreliable source for information an so, more mainstream sites lige IGN could pick up the story - further feeding the rumormill.
    TJ_Hooker said:

It's kind of funny that people seemed to have no problem bashing and blaming Atari to death when the situation was first announced, despite an almost complete lack of information, but as soon as there's a rumour that reflects badly on Beamdog, it's all 'hey, let's not pass judgement before we have all the facts'.

It is kind of true, I am ashamed to admit. However I think that Atari earned that type of reputation long ago (and kept on earning it long after they needed to do so). Beamdog might be at fault. Who knows? But given the total lack of any kind of facts, I prefer to say let's wait and see what develops. If they end up on the wrong end? Then we will know.

@Dafojk - if every company spent time addressing every single speculative comment made in the popular media about themselves, they would spend a whole lot more money just answering if aliens in flying saucers were abducting babies in the area than they would developing games.

I personally don't want to see the overhead inflate the cost of games as a result.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited July 2013
    @TJ_Hooker I think it's fair to say there is a natural bias towards Beamdog and co. here. It is their forums for their game. So it's basically their home ground in a way.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited July 2013
    RedGuard said:

@TJ_Hooker I think it's fair to say there is a natural bias towards Beamdog and co. here. It is their forums for their game. So it's basically their home ground in a way.

Oh, yeah, I definitely understand. I've almost certainly exhibited a pro-Beamdog bias myself a few times in the past. But although it may be a natural result of where we are, I don't think bias and partisanship are something we should just accept as being part of these forums (and this is definitely not the first situation where it has cropped up). And I honestly think that a lot of the time it's simply an issue of people not realizing that they're doing it (I know I never did, at least not until after the fact), hence my pointing it out.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @shawne @Feronas @CaptRory

overthrow
    verb
    1 remove forcibly from power
    2 put an end to (something), typically by the use of force or violence

I stand by what I said. What you guys are talking about is not through the use of violent force ... The denotation, that is, dictionary definition, of overthrow directly says force.

I realize I'm nit-picking here but, I was trying to make a funny joke and then everyone decided that I was being completely literal for some reason. I can play that game, too.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It is entirely possible for an entity (individual, company, government, etc.) to trade on their good reputation. I can't think of anything Beamdog or the Devs here have done to garner any ill will. You can bitch and moan about bugs and things but they've been working steadily and diligently on fixing them and getting everything as advertised.

Atari, on the other hand, has been around a long time and has not generally garnered the same goodwill among their customers.

I can't say that I find it surprising Beamdog has support here among people who like them.
    Quartz said:

@shawne @Feronas @CaptRory

overthrow
    verb
    1 remove forcibly from power
    2 put an end to (something), typically by the use of force or violence

I stand by what I said. What you guys are talking about is not through the use of violent force ... The denotation, that is, dictionary definition, of overthrow directly says force.

I realize I'm nit-picking here but, I was trying to make a funny joke and then everyone decided that I was being completely literal for some reason. I can play that game, too.

We tried asking England nicely for representation in Parliament, and they said no. So we had a little thing called the American Revolutionary War. It was kind of a big deal.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    CaptRory said:

We tried asking England nicely for representation in Parliament, and they said no. So we had a little thing called the American Revolutionary War. It was kind of a big deal.

[ All in good fun :) ]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited July 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

RedGuard said:

Oh, yeah, I definitely understand. I've almost certainly exhibited a pro-Beamdog bias myself a few times in the past. But although it may be a natural result of where we are, I don't think bias and partisanship are something we should just accept as being part of these forums (and this is definitely not the first situation where it has cropped up). And I honestly think that a lot of the time it's simply an issue of people not realizing that they're doing it (I know I never did, at least not until after the fact), hence my pointing it out.
    It went through my mind yesterday evening, when I wrote my previous post, I've given Beamdog huge amount of credit. With all the suspense building up as to what was happening with that strange site baldursgate.com, one-and-a-half-years ago, the dedication they showed up to release and after that and the joy the game was relived. And the frankness with which they communicate, even though communication is often too sparse and done via twitter instead of the forum.

Yet still there's a lot been going wrong: too early a release, the game not living up to expectations as old npc's couldn't be augmented, the art that proved to be lost, thus no better backgrounds, the failure to work properly on Intel. And almost a year after previous release we're still waiting for a crucial patch, that's suspended now, the wait is still for mods like NPC1 project, as the game proved to be (for me) too boring and too easy (I need my fix of SCS and Hard Times as well for this game).

I guess the greatest credit I'm giving comes from reviving Baldur's Gate - and all the enthusiasm it created, look at the activity on this forum, even though it meant BG at social.bioware.com bled to death -. But if I look critically at myself, I sometimes wonder if I'm too much of a 'fanboy' and lost my critical sense. And because of all that not went as hoped, I'm still playing Tutu, while waiting for patches and waiting for the full complement of mods getting updated.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    CaptRory said:

It is entirely possible for an entity (individual, company, government, etc.) to trade on their good reputation. I can't think of anything Beamdog or the Devs here have done to garner any ill will. You can bitch and moan about bugs and things but they've been working steadily and diligently on fixing them and getting everything as advertised.

Atari, on the other hand, has been around a long time and has not generally garnered the same goodwill among their customers.

I can't say that I find it surprising Beamdog has support here among people who like them.

True, most of what I wrote about my grievances (the early release, loss of original art, mute original npc's, even Intel being badly supported) happened either due to constraints put on them by third parties (too early release, mute npc's), bad luck (loss of art), or lack of will by third parties (Microsoft not supporting OpenGL enough on their Intel videochips). The dedication by the Beamdog team always showed. Though I wonder if they are skilled enough in legal wranglings. Or maybe they are not powerful enough to wrangle, some limitations (on npc's, on early release and now worse suspense on sales) are very severe. Couldn't they have gotten a better legal deal than this mess?

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @CaptRory - We call the revolutionary war the 'Colonial Rebellion' here ;)
    @EntropyXII We had a rough time of it for awhile but eventually our countries reconciled. Interesting note: The sun still never sets on the British Empire. But only just barely. http://what-if.xkcd.com/48/
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Fredjo said:

My understanding is that the Devs are not BeamDog - BeamDog is the publisher. If that is true (as far as the accusation is concerned), the Devs are essentially victims of whatever. I worry about the patch being a bargaining chip, but it makes sense to me, as it's the only collateral that the Devs seem to have. Anyway, hoping for a positive outcome.

From what I've read from the devs, Overhaul and Beamdog have common owners.
    Oh, and on this:

Overhaul Games is the game development division of Beamdog. So from a business sense, Beamdog is a game digital distribution company, a direct competitor to the likes of Steam and GOG. Overhaul games does game development.

That being said, business/tax/legal differences aside, the two companies are one and the same. Same office, same management. The BGEE and BG2EE teams are a superset of the Beamdog permanent staff.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    And on a lighter note - while most of the team are not privy to *exactly* what is going on, I imagine it is going a bit like this (NSFW language, 1:08)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    No problem for me. I enjoy the Dark Side of the Force, too.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Cerevant said:

That being said, business/tax/legal differences aside, the two companies are one and the same.

And both of those are subsidiaries/departments/trade names of IdeaSpark Labs Inc.

So, basically:

|
    <------------<------------<|--------------------------|
    | |
    _______V_______ _______|_______
    | Beamdog | | Overhaul Games|
    |Team, Employees|>------------------>----------------->|Team, Employees|
    | *** | | *** |
    | Distribution |<------------------<-----------------<| Developer |
    |_______________|| Product, patches and updates ||_______________|
    | |____________________________________| ^
    | |
    _______V_______ _______________________________ |
    | (You) | | | |
    | Customer |-->| Feedback |>--->--->-|
    |_______________| |_______________________________|

And that in no way represents the inner workings of the company or companies in question, just how I perceive them. IdeaSpark Labs Inc. owns Beamdog (a division (project/subsidiary) of IdeaSpark Labs Inc.) who, in turn, owns Overhaul Games (a division of Beamdog). Both projects/divisions, however, are owned by IdeaSpark Labs Inc.; Trent and Co.

Beamdog is the distributor and Overhaul is the developer. The distributor will arrange projects, market them, and distribute them once complete. The developer will develop. Even if it happens to be the same group of people in both divisions.

But your version was much more concise :D.

Anyway, hope the news is not as negative as it sounds. If there are royalties owed, then it might [speculation] be similar to Sega suing THQ. It still sounds like it has something to do with Atari's bankruptcy. Royalties can be finicky things when some unforeseen event, such as bankruptcy, comes along. Whatever the case, I'm still hoping it can be resolved so that work can continue on the game.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Regardless of unpaid royalties, I don't understand why they can't release the patch. Even old games whose devs are defunct still have patches
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @ReadingRambo - Because Overhaul might be worried about being paid, or BeamDog being paid. Their work (patches, etc) is bargaining leverage and has value as such. Just hold on. I believe that one of two things will happen:

1) It sorts out transparently and we go bact to our regularly scheduled program

2) It falls apart. In this case, don't be surprised if the patch makes it out after the dust clears.

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    ajwz said:

So we have an unnamed, unsourced rumour on a singular gaming website about a legal dispute which we literally know nothing about, which has been picked up by no other news sites, and neither beamdog nor Atari have made any substantial comments on the situation, and even the tile of the article states "Uncofirmed" but you say that supposing the "information" is not reliable is ludicrous?

I believe a salt is the order of the day. Lots of it.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    ajwz said:

So we have an unnamed, unsourced rumour on a singular gaming website about a legal dispute which we literally know nothing about, which has been picked up by no other news sites,

False. It has been picked up by other news sites.
    ajwz said:

and neither beamdog nor Atari have made any substantial comments on the situation, and even the tile of the article states "Uncofirmed" but you say that supposing the "information" is not reliable is ludicrous?

How many news sites and stories around the world use unamed anonyomous sources for their stories? And companies/governments have declined to comment on such stories?