Skip to content

Please include Achivement and trading cards for BGEE2.

raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
Since you guys are probably working on BGEE2, do it, please.

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    ajwz said:

Assassination is still illegal, right?

I neither know nor care. Anyone want to chip in? Assassins aren't cheap, you know.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited July 2013
    Achievements, I don't care... Trading cards on the other hand...
    TressetKamigoroshi
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    zur312 said:

lol let's do some usless thing rather than improving the game
    GL

Yes, because every other developer who added this clearly never give a fuck about their own game.
    Great logic there :P

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I don't support the request being carried out but I will take advantage of the thread to propose silly achievement suggestions. :D

Gibberling slayer: Killed 100 Gibberlings in a single playthrough.
    Bandit scalper: Kill 100 bandits in a single playthrough.
    Xvart massacre: Killed 20 Xvarts in the Xvart village.
    Kobold killer: Kill 30 kobolds in the Nashkel mines.

Magician's nightmare: Disrupt 20 enemy spell casts in a single playthrough.

Other suggestions that I can't think of any names for: Successfully turn 30 undead, survive a battle where charname is confused/panicked/held, restore an NPC from petrification.
    BelgarathMTHTsyrithFredjolunar
    Elminster hater: Kill Elminster
    Heroes tormenter: Kill Elminster, Drizzt, and Bentley Mirrorshade in a single playthrough.
    FredjolunarDexter
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    I'm not a fan of achievements or trading cards directly, but (anecdotally -- I'd be curious to see if stats exist to back this up) those little extras probably drive sales among those gamers who DO care. They don't affect my ability to enjoy the game, so if it gets more people to take the plunge into this excellent franchise, I say go for it.
    Quartz said:

I like how most people just disagree with this for the sake of disagreeing.

Don't get me wrong, there are reasons to not want such a thing to be done, but a whole lot of people on here are just bitter old farts who, by default, loath any feature that remotely resembles a new game.

Yeah, I said it.

Hey I'm not bitter I'm just old :D

I just think there are other things they could probably do with the time it takes to implement something like this. For starters we have around 1800 feature requests already that they could be considering instead (many of which are good feature requests that they haven't yet done).

Quartzthe_spyderatcDave
    edited July 2013
    As I said anyone who think it takes "time" to add achivements are clueless.
    Its a small statistic addon - that's all.
    Every xbox360 and ps3 developer, even indie studios working on arcade games has it.
    Quartz
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FredjoButtercheese
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    sometimes I can like achievements. in mass effect you gain bonuses for certain achievements, and so you are actually getting something out of it. do we really need them in baldurs gate though? most achievements in games really do nothing and nobody ever even looks at your achievements, so I think I could do without. I like steams new trading cards as well but even if they add them I will still get directly from beamdog so I guess I won't benefit unless my beamdog copy gives me a steam code
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited July 2013
    Achievements? Bah! I would much rather they focus on improving the game by fixing bugs and adding features that actually affect the core elements of gameplay. After all... what is an achievement? Basically just a thing that says: "You did a thing. Yay!" That doesn't actually change the core elements of gameplay.

Sure, sure, achievements can give some people some enjoyment... but I think there are some very good reasons why we do not need achievements to keep people happy.

Both BG games already have a veritable dragon hoard of things to do in them compared to most games. Achievements are unnecessary because you almost have so much to do in BG that you can lose interest in the game and fail to finish it. (Happens in my family all the time...)

There is plenty of replay value. As if playing the game or series once wasn't enough of a thing to do, you could play it again and again until you tire of it. You could play a different alignment, class, kit, or what have you. You could even challenge yourself with your own set of rules (no reloads for instance) to see if you can beat the game that way. You can even try a new mod on the game if you want. I still don't see the need for achievements...

Most of the fans of the originals don't like achievements. That probably won't change any time soon. Nuff said.

In any case, is there anyone out there saying: "I refuse to play this game again or buy BG2:EE unless you add achievements!"? I'm going to guess probably no; let me know if you are saying that though.

So, in summary, that post ended up much longer than I planned on it being and it came off as kinda rant-y (which was unintended I assure you), but there are far more reasons to not include achievements in BG1/2:EE than there are to include them IMHO.

Edit: Also: What is this trading card nonsense about? Are we talking actual physical trading cards here? In game trading cards? *looks up at @ChildofBhaal599's post* Or is it some steam thing? If it is some steam thing I'll tell you this much: Ain't going to happen. Why on Earth would Beamdog make a feature that THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS wouldn't even be able to utilize? That would be very silly; not to mention quite rude and disrespectful to their consumer base.
    [Deleted User]
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    elminster said:

I don't support the request being carried out but I will take advantage of the thread to propose silly achievement suggestions. :D

Gibberling slayer: Killed 100 Gibberlings in a single playthrough.
    Bandit scalper: Kill 100 bandits in a single playthrough.
    Xvart massacre: Killed 20 Xvarts in the Xvart village.
    Kobold killer: Kill 30 kobolds in the Nashkel mines.

Magician's nightmare: Disrupt 20 enemy spell casts in a single playthrough.

Other suggestions that I can't think of any names for: Successfully turn 30 undead, survive a battle where charname is confused/panicked/held, restore an NPC from petrification.

That could be fun.

Achievement unlocked!

With My Bear Hands (Druid only): Maul someone as a bear.
    Give a Man a Fire...: Slay 20 men with fire related spells.
    Master locksmith: Unlock an achievement.
    The Thin Line: Unleash the prisoners at the Asylum.
    He Who Fights With Monsters: Complete ToB with the evil ending.
    Slayer of Windmills: Kill a giant.
    Swords, Not Words!: Solve every quest in the most violent manner possible.
    Cry Me a River: Collect every tear of Bhaal.
    That's My Boy!: Kill 1,000 enemies.
    When All You Have is a Hammer: Complete the game wielding only war-hammers.
    Sticks and Stones: Kill an enemy with a Word of Power.
    [Deleted User]lunarelminsterButtercheese
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited July 2013
    So basically there is people who wants/likes achievements, that are more fun than cards.

Clarification: Cards are in steam only, build in features for gaining levels (steam-member levels) and with possibility to sell them for few cents, but honestly don't think that anybody is buying it. More info

I for instance very like achievements it's when you do something fun there is that small pop up "you did it, yay" (like somebody else said before) and when you get tens of those, end the game 2-3 times you think I have enough. That is the moment when you think about something new. You can take different game or just check achievements and say: ok I never done this one before - let's try it, It's very big game and don't think that you tried all possibilities that game gives you, even after many years of owning this game, it's an easy way to find it out what you missed, of course I expect achievements other than "kill X enemies".

I always think about entirely new way of playing in the Mark of the Ninja after checking the achievements (it's ninja-2Dplatformer), usually you think about 2 ways of dealing with the enemies:
    - stealth: don't kill anybody
    - assassin: silent kill all of them (or don't sneak at all)
    But there is another possibility that authors want to show you:
    - sneak and be opponents nightmare: you can terrify opponents and make them to kill one another

And I really like that kind of features, although I didn't get the steam copy and probably never will use this, but you know it makes title to live even longer and I would say: If it's post-ship, why not?
    raxtoren
    btw I would love to hear the developers reason for not including achivements. since every other developer, including rpg developers, are doing it.
    edited July 2013

Is there an achivement for banging our heads against a wall?

*SMACK*
    *SMACK*
    *SMACK*

Achivements offer OOC information that can easily change the actions and choices in an RPG because the player becomes aware of them outside of the game, and would rather collect them, than make a decision based on the choices presented to them, within the game.

It's tacky, and should have no place in an RPG.

Actually by for ex adding the achievement to play to, lets say level 15 with each class, it can be a carrot for people to try something new. I have a very hard time thinking that someone, on their first playthrough, would play something they didn like because of achievement.
    Also, achievements are a great challenge for players who are done with the game, to compare and challenge each other.
    It's one thing to say you "did everything" in game X, its another to prove it with achievement over xbox360/ps3 or over Steam.
    edited July 2013
    you can call it pathetic, however, the achievement/trophy system has been a huge success over xbox360 and ps3, so much that steam decied to introduce it to pc games as well.
    Now you can say you dissagree with achievements, but you can't deny the success it had. I mean, its well known some people even rent/bought games for easy achievements - thats how far its gone.
    It's gone so far that most mmorpgs even use it today now, Blizzard for ex added it to World of warcraft, has it in starcraft 2 and Diablo3.

But its okay, if BGEE developers wants to be the only developer today who ignore achivements, then so be it. But don't act like there isnt people who want it.

I want it, so I ask for it.

and ps!
    Since developers such as:Bethesda,Square-enix,Bioware,Blizzard,Obsidian etc has introduced Achievements to all their games, Square-enix even re-released Final Fantasy 7 with achievements, ask yourself "why".

Clearly they make achievments only for me, right?

Also, I wanna make it clear, im not some troll/angry person on the forum - I just ask for common things and yet some people act like its "crazy". Then call Blizzard morons for introducing it to starcraft2,diablo3 and world of warcraft, saying achievement system is a great feature that the consumers wanted.
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2013
    Achievements are just another dopamine trap to keep you addicted. Of course more and more publishers want them in their videogames, because it means that they may play a little bit more so they can get some random achievement instead of playing some other game or just go outside.

Our primitive brains love to see "0/12" becoming "12/12" with a shiny reward. I think some of them are fine, as they can reward you with vanity equipment or something, but most of them give nothing, just some false illusion of vanity so your brain can enjoy the dopamine rush of achieving it.
    GodKaiserHellFredjo[Deleted User]
    I like to compare hard achivements with friends and discuss how they overcome X etc.
    I mean, look at this board and others, people make up their own challenge " low level" clear X side-quest boss etc" Now you can prove you done it.
    It also helps when you wanna play with people, usually people who team up for some hard challenge wanna know for true or not if the person is capable or not to do X.