Skip to content

Wow ! BG EE and BG2 difference.

BG EE has spoiled me.
I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why I can't zoom.
The GUI looks like blurry mud compared to BG EE.
I tried higher resolutions and the widescreen mod but I felt like I was playing an RTS not an RPG. The GUI was tight and it looked sharp....but it was cell phone size tabs and insects on the screen.
Lowered res to 8 x 6 and moved my 42" closer.
Maybe if I can get the TV even closer I can go 10 x 7
Man I miss zoom....sniff..

So Devs...don't worry about the patches or DLCs for BG EE. ( J/K ok ? )
Just get cracking on BG 2 EE...I Dire Charm you to work non stop until your task is done.

Glad the " Hide interface" option is still there. Doubt I could play the game with it full time.
Just looking at it gives me headache.

I still can't believe the difference.

I'm just scared that a pixel will poke me in the eye. I don't think my medical covers that.

Well I'm off on my how low can you go run ( STs ) So I will see you all in a month...if I don't die of fattyassthrombosis first.
Now where did I put my Red Bull and Cheetoes ?

And Devs I mean it...get BG2 out. Or you will wake up to find that your garden gnomes are not as innocent and peaceful as you think. Rise my brothers !
Tresset[Deleted User]DexterSCARY_WIZARDelminsterFredjoDragonspearMessiBelgarathMTHStarflower2525lunarsepotterMERLANCEmch202CoutelierIllustairmashedtatersAristilliussarevok57Hasson

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Lol. So true.
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    Not to mention the extremely irritating loading times. After getting used to EE there's no way i'm reinstalling either BG2 or Tutu.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    lol it's not THAT bad. I had no great impulse to zoom in whilst playing BG EE, it's not like a 3D game where you can see awesome detail close up, and you can't play with camera angle anyway. Also yes BG 2 graphics are a bit more basic than BG EE, but it's still pleasant, and significantly better than BG 1 Vanilla. The UI is functionally almost identical so I made the transition without noticing much difference, unlike the change from BG 1 Vanilla to BG 2.

Having said that... Yes give us BG 2 EE!
    TJ_HookerBelgarathMTH
    I probably won't play the originals again either. But I will keep them installed in case I need them for my beta work
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

Not to mention the extremely irritating loading times. After getting used to EE there's no way i'm reinstalling either BG2 or Tutu.

I don't see how that's a problem unless you save-load for traps, learning scrolls or pick-pocketing, which I consider cheating. Otherwise the load speed is as fast, if not faster than most other games, cos it's a pretty simple and non-demanding game on your PC.
    Dee said:

The loading time in vanilla BG is actually just the time it takes to load the loading screen; incidentally, that's the reason why we eliminated them for the enhanced edition.

Lol wut?
    TJ_HookerFredjoCalmar
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Tresset said:

Dee said:

The loading time in vanilla BG is actually just the time it takes to load the loading screen; incidentally, that's the reason why we eliminated them for the enhanced edition.

Lol wut?
    My same thoughts....
    TressetFredjo
  • Morte50Morte50 Member Posts: 161
    Actually had the same experience like a week ago. I thought I'd give BG2 a bit of a whirl again, but it just feels... off. I originally planned to wait for BG2:EE anyway, so I'll keep to that and stick to BG:EE till then.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Tresset said:

Dee said:

Lol wut?
    There's slightly more to it than that, but yeah. On a modern machine, the loading screens in vBG only appear for a second or two.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    yeah, loading screens did actually serve a function when we were playing on 200 MHz Pentium PCs with 32megs of RAM. Not so much nowadays.
    elminster
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Dee said:

Yo dawg, I herd you like loading screens, so I put an loading screen in your BG so you can load while you load.
    WigglesFinneousPJAristilliusbadbromance
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I concur. Especially playşng bg:ee on Ipad spoilt me so much I can't return to pc version. ^^
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I want my Android version of BGEE first, and then yes, definitely give me BG2EE, DLC can come after that.

Anyway, BGEE is definitely awesome though, I will probably never play the original BG and BG2 games again after this, of course I wont throw them away or anything, but why would anyone say no to the enhanced versions?
    lunar
  • SliceofhellSliceofhell Member Posts: 85
    Weren't loading screens the reason to play more careful? And while sitting there for a minute, staring at it, thinking about the things you did wrong, planing strategy alterations.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I have a lot of trouble playing non-BGEE BG/BG2 now, too. The loading screens and the responsive UI and the zooming... they make a huge difference.
    lunarDragonspearStarflower2525
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited August 2013
    Kaeloree said:

I have a lot of trouble playing non-BGEE BG/BG2 now, too. The loading screens and the responsive UI and the zooming... they make a huge difference.

All the reasons for You @Kaeloree to update as many modes to BGEE/BG2EE as You can. You don't want all of to have lot of trouble playing good old vanilla editions, do You? :)

For the record it's hard to switch to non-EE for me too. You've spoiled me guys...really. That's why I would like to see few more essential mods to be converted.
    Post edited by Cahir on
    lunarStoneSwords
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd like to agree, but while I find the lack of loading times and various other improvements very nice, beyond the novelty of the new characters it's just not enough to make up for what the mods bring to the experience. To me it goes to show that "bells and whistles" are nice, but can't substitute for more good content. One could say that mods like the NPC Project spoiled me in terms of not wanting to go back to silent party members.
    StoneSwords
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    Indeed.

While the increased speed is nice, right now vanilla is still far superior to BGEE. A few additions simply cannot compare to the years of modding that BG2 has gotten.

So far nothing has impressed me enough to consider switching although I did buy it with the hope that this will change in the future.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @April Just wait until BGEE has years of modding behind it! ;)
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Calmar said:

Dee said:

Yo dawg, I herd you like loading screens, so I put an loading screen in your BG so you can load while you load.

Damn. Beat me too it. Still lol'd.
  • ermoermo Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2013
    @Kaeloree said:

April Just wait until BGEE has years of modding behind it! ;)

*reads, then rereads ... with a crooked half-smile slowly forming*

Funny you should mention that, since we're now close to being one year on from the originally planned release date for BG:EE...

Now that you've got your revenue stream back, is stuff beginning to settle down on your (BeamDog's) end in terms of fleshing out and implementing the much-asked-for features designed to make modding less of a pain? And are you well on the way to fixing the last remaining bugs and annoyances in the original BG campaign?

• kabkab Member Posts: 75
    I just wish the key mods were there. SCS, IR, SR, NPC project, UB... essentially everything G3. SoBH, NTotSC, DSotSC would be nice too but I can't play without IR/SR and SCS, it's like I'm suddenly on a heretofore unknown "super easy ultra dumb" difficulty without them.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Zooming is overrated because the graphics do not look good up close. I zoom out to max and only go in if I need to click on something small or something.
    TJ_Hooker
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I find BGEE to be such a vast improvement I have no interest in most of the mods I was using. I think the unmodified game is outstanding, and I prefer no mods. Well, maybe an ease of use thing with unlimited stacking and an XP cap remover. But that's it.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @kab SCS is available for BG:EE (and has been for some time).
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    I'm aware scs is in beta... that's one out of like 10.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I can't use any mods in BG:EE. I'm aware that there is a procedure set out in a thread somewhere, which greatly exceeds my tech ability. I'm used to using Weidu, which makes modding a breeze. Unless either Weidu gets adapted at some point for the Enhanced Editions, or else somebody makes a utility program for easy mod management, I will be choosing between playing Enhanced Edition unmodded, or using GoG BG modded with Weidu.