Skip to content

Baldur gate praises and honor Satan Bhaal ?

DestructDestruct Member Posts: 1
edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
Hello i´m newbie in Baldur gate games my first was Dark Alliance GBA then i googled to know if they have more baldur games, then on Wikipedia there says Baldur gate the main characters are sons of God Bhaal (Demon) of Murder is that true ?
Bhaal is also Baal in my language.
Post edited by Coriander on
MERLANCEKolonKu

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited August 2013
    Yes we're all devil worshippers here. :D

... Just jokin'

Bhaal is indeed the God of Murder, and your character is his son/daughter, but you are not compelled to play evil. I don't know how the story ends yet cos I haven't finished the game yet, but it's safe to say the game seems to push you to do the 'right' thing most of the time.

ps: oh yeah, welcome to the community :)
    TJ_HookerStarflower2525
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    I believe 'Ba'al' was a title given to many gods. 'Bhaal' might be derived from the word, and was evil. Although as was said, you're not compelled to act the same way. Games tend to be less rewarding if you're character is evil anyway, or at least openly evil; going around being a jerk and murdering people who annoy you. Word would obviously get around and others be less inclined to help you or offer quests.
    TJ_HookerStarflower2525SCARY_WIZARD
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    There are also differences between gods, demons and devils. Gods have to have a lot of power, whereas demons and devils come in a variety and are from different planes called the Abyss and the Nine Hells respectively. I don't think Demons would get along with Bhaal due to alignment differences.
    elminsterStarflower2525KamigoroshiSCARY_WIZARD
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    Bhaal, Baal etc is an exceptionally widely used name for a god to represent all sorts of deities in Fantasy and Sci-fi genres.

Stargate SG 1 anyone?
    elminsterStarflower2525SCARY_WIZARDBelgarathMTH
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I think it has already been well said by everyone here that evil is not the encouraged path, especially since when you get to the lower reputation everyone kinda tries to kill you. You are supposed to play a good or neutral path in this game but evil options were included to give the game more depth and give the player a chance to screw up (just like people do in real life).
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Non, non. Baldur's Gate praises and honors Santa Bhaal!
    Durenas
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...it's just fiction.
    Fiction that we turn to, when we are old and weary from the thing they call Real Life, where corruption and evil reign openly...
    SCARY_WIZARDOneAngryMushroom
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited August 2013
    Guys and gals, people are free to believe what they wish, and they will not be persecuted for it here. We're not fussed what your personal beliefs are, but this is not a place to belittle the beliefs of others. If it happens any further this thread will be closed.

Remember, be cool to one another.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Kaeloree: don't think the OP's rligious beliefs were the point of the discussion. The point he made was the question whether Baldur's Gate (the game) supports satanic beliefs or not. Various people in this topic have replied in a non-offensive way, so I don't see your point in your post when there have been no personal insults/attacks at all? Plus, I think @mlnevese and @ZelgadisGW make very good points here also. That your character is the offspring of an evil god doesn't mean that you have to play as an inherently evil character also.
    Aedan
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    In (biblical)hebrew ba'al (spelt beit-ayin-lamed) means "master" or "husband". It is also used as a name for a local deity which is portrayed as someone the people of Israel worshipped instead of God (or JHVH), see for instance 1. Kings 18.

However, there is a link to the christian concept of the devil in the name beelzebub (Lord of the Flies), which while apparently starting off as a local deity in Ekron ended up being understood as one of the princes of hell in Catholic view of hell. I don't know anything about this last part, but that's as much as Wikipedia says.

Anyway, Forgotten Realms Lore playes around with a lot of old religious names and concepts so no matter what the origins are one could safely say that "Bhaal, The lord of Murder" is not linked to the Christian concept of the devil.

TLDR; No.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Kaeloree said:

Remember, be cool to one another.

THIS BELONGS HERE!

who reads these?

SCARY_WIZARDthe_spyderMagnus_Grelich
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You should be aware the original games are related to Dark Alliance in name only. The gameplay is completely different.

Hail Satan.
    SouthpawMortianna
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Destruct said:

Hello i´m newbie in Baldur gate games my first was Dark Alliance GBA then i googled to know if they have more baldur games, then on Wikipedia there says Baldur gate the main characters are sons of God Bhaal (Demon) of Murder is that true ?
    Bhaal is also Baal in my language.

It's true, the main character is a Child of Bhaal. It's a mild spoiler for someone who hasn't played Baldur's Gate 1, though, since this is a discovery the main character makes quite late in the game. Your character doesn't necessarily(and in my case, definitely doesn't) have any affection for the deceased Lord of Murder, and the blood influence of your divine father is a recurring theme in the games, as you struggle with what your blood wants vs what you want..
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    ehm,you seem a bit confused...

the game does not praise/honor anyone

Bhaal is a fictional character(member of a dark pantheon) whos name was inspired from mythology

lastly did i spot the word 'satan' in your title? that sounds more like trolling to me.
    FredjoBanex
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm...the OP managed to bring up religion and the "other" baldurs gate all in one runon sentience. I'll trust my Troll-dar on this one:

Please do not feed!!!
    FredjoMathmick
    Those games are a part of the franchise and there are people who genuinely like them. Personally I've never played them. Religions not really important, is it? Not as important as that.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I played both Dark Alliance games with my wife and although I remember nothing of those games I remember we enjoyed playing them together :)

/moderator mode on
    About religion discussion, try to avoid it in the topic. As I said in my previous post mixing real life and fantasy religions is a quick path to a flame war and so is criticizing them.
    /moderator mode off
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited August 2013
    @mlnevese - I too played Dark Alliance (though I am ashamed to admit same in this forum). For a console game, it kept my attention just long enough so that I didn't feel totally jipped for the cost. I would not list it as part of the Franchise (though the makers may feel differently). It was a reasonable way to kill a few hours.

As far as the religion thing, I am not sure what value the thread has without discussing religion. I am not sure what the OP was attempting to get at (possibly language barriers??) but I was immediately reminded of the 80s mind set wherein being associated with the game meant that we were all devil worshipers and cultists (the Tom Hanks movie pretty much set that stage aflame). I'd hate the thread to be hijacked by someone of that mind set regardless of the OP's intent.

I don't know what the OP's original intent was, nor am I pointing fingers at anyone. But, if the moderators would prefer us not to get into philosophical discussions, and there is even the possibility that the other unpleasantness might rear it's ugly head, might it be reasonable to let this thread end?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2013
    @the_spyder no problem discussing it as long it's respectful. We had long threads about sexuality in the forum that were quite respectful in fact :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    There's not really any need to discuss religion, at least not present day religion. As others have mentioned, 'Ba'al' was a title that meant lord or master and was used for many deities. The most famous one left today that we've all heard of, albeit in a distorted form, being the philistine god of Ekron, Ba'al Zebub. But other than 'Bhaal' possibly being a different spelling of 'Baal', there's no relationship between them.

There's always people who do accuse DnD, or just fantasy in general, of teaching kids devil worship and witchcraft, but they're easy to dismiss. I hereby do so.
    prem0nition
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127

ehm,you seem a bit confused...

the game does not praise/honor anyone

Bhaal is a fictional character(member of a dark pantheon) whos name was inspired from mythology

lastly did i spot the word 'satan' in your title? that sounds more like trolling to me.

+1

Was there really a need to add satan to the title.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @belgarathmth I don't have much to say about your post at large, just wanted to say +1 for your perfectly appropriate closing quote.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    I guess some classic reading is in order here

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP
    BelgarathMTHElectricMonkSouthpaw
  • KasKas Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2013
    ya this is demonic game kill em all !!!!!