Skip to content

Strategy Video Games

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
I've been playing Hearts of Iron III lately. Man its complicated, addicting, and especially if you play one of the major powers such a complex endeavor (between theatres of war, research, production, etc). In any case I'm really enjoying it (as I have with most Paradox games despite their bugs).

Anyone have a strategy video game they are playing at the moment that they really like?

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I've always liked Civ3. I have Civ4 but I don't like it as much because the scale seems much smaller. Other than that, I've never really been a big fan of these types of games.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If something that has strategy as one of it's genres counts...

I would recommend trying out the various Fire Emblem titles around different systems and Super Robot Wars Original Generation 1 & 2 for the Gameboy Advance... Great turn based strategy RPGs.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Kaltzor said:

I would recommend trying out the various Fire Emblem titles around different systems and Super Robot Wars Original Generation 1 & 2 for the Gameboy Advance... Great turn based strategy RPGs.

I like those kinds of strategy games, like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics. I'm just not so into the Risk-type ones (with the exception of Civ). I don't like RTS either.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I would suggest you R.U.S.E: good PC title, set in WWII years, nice RTS with a great tactical component. :)
    (Found at GameStop for 3€ ;p)
    elminster
  • StinkyStinky Member Posts: 39
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together on PSP would be my recommendation. Like FF Tactics but... better. Very customisable character progression and I was also quite pleasantly surprised by the script.

I also really enjoy any of the age of empires games - more for the flavour than anything else.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Civ V is a really addicting game, "just one more turn" and so on. Have to get the Brave New World DLC at some point.

From RTS I've probably played Dawn of War most. Nothing better than rolling a squad of Terminators into an enemy base.

Europa Universalis 3 is on my to-play list, along with Sins of a Solar Empire. EU 3 is quite complicated, judging from the basic tutorial I found on Youtube, lasting only six hours.

And someone mentioned HOMM 3. This is a game I never reinstall, as I never uninstall it.
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Imperator said:

Civ V is a really addicting game, "just one more turn" and so on. Have to get the Brave New World DLC at some point.

From RTS I've probably played Dawn of War most. Nothing better than rolling a squad of Terminators into an enemy base.

Europa Universalis 3 is on my to-play list, along with Sins of a Solar Empire. EU 3 is quite complicated, judging from the basic tutorial I found on Youtube, lasting only six hours.

And someone mentioned HOMM 3. This is a game I never reinstall, as I never uninstall it.

I've played Civ 5. I own the God&Kings expansion but due to computer problems I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Europe Universalis 3 is a cakewalk compared to HOI3 :)

(same company makes both games)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I would probably be playing Civ 5 right now, seeing as how I recently bought Brave New World for it, but I find I just don't have the patience for the long turn times, especially mid- to late-game. Hopefully a new computer will remedy this, as I plan to get one in the next few months.
    elminster
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Mmm, love me some Civ.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2013
    Civ series in general. (if for no other reason then that as part of a mythology gag that started due to a bug in the first game, they turned Gandhi into a warmongering psychopath who rushes for nukes and uses them liberally).

Emperor/Caeser/Pharoh

Total War series

Lords of Magic: SE

Stronghold (most just 1 and Crusader...2 is lack luster, Legends is a POS dumbed down version of 2, Extreme is more frustrating then fun, and 3 is a literally unplayable, broken mess).

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Might and Magic Series

Age of Empires Series (especially 2)

Deadlock series

Homeworld series

Warcraft series

Starcraft 1

Command and Conquer series (except 4) (Generals especially had some fun moments....my cousin "Hey, why can't I click this dozerrroh $%#^!, YOU $%#^#^$!")

WH40k: Dawn of War (just the first game/xpacks, not that god awful sequel)

Rise of Nations (and to a lesser extent Rise of legends...not quite as fun IMO though)

Empire Earth (just first game and X-pack....2 was bleh, and the 3 was just plain stupid)

Might count Mount and Blade: Warband. there's some strategy involved (more or less depending on the mod), but it's more directly hands and action/rpg oriented then your typical strategy game.

I liked Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (VERY similar to FF;Tactics), but I didn't like Cling together. Every class has the same level, and when you unlock new classes, they're pitifully weak and take forever to build up and tend to get massacred easily.

Romance of the three kindgoms is pretty good.

Kessen series

Dynasty Warriors Tactics series is also nice.

Fallout tactics is....ok....
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited August 2013
    i started up Caesar 3 with a South Park sound mod. it's even more entertaining than it already is XD

also, Rollercoaster Tycoon
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    I like the old Civ Call to Power II game...i still fire up a game once in awhile...
    also like Allied General & Panzer General (old SSI games) for Windows 95
    elminster
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic still.

Heartily recommended, fun game, tacticly sound and does not fuck around with the difficulty.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Wargame: AirLand Battle

http://www.wargame-ab.com/?rub=home#p1

Stupid name, great game.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited August 2013
    Despite getting a lot of dislike from many HOMM-players, to whom HOMM III is the best ever, I like Heroes of Might and Magic IV a lot. Of course it's not completely strategy. Like in Warcraft III, there's an element of roleplay involved with your hero going through a story which affects him emotionally, and he goes through battles as well. What I also like, the game is told through the viewpoint of his squire, who doesn't appear in-game but who has a great personality in the narration-screens, getting a kind of 'frog-perspective' on the hero.

I paly with large swaths of time inbetween do, it's been al long time since I really put a lot of time into it. Have yet to play the last two maps of the opening campaign.

I'm also playing Spellforce, an RPG/RTS crossover game, but it fails to really captivate me. Graphics are mediocre, early 3D-era, resulting in good looking buildings but ugly character models, with an attempt to replace lack of facial expression with gesticulating of hands, which looks really silly due to large unnecessary arm movements when in dialogue, with the one you're having a friendly conversation waiving his or her weapon two and fro in your face. Real silly. And there's no pause in dialogue or journal, so with my slower grasp of English due to being a foreigner, much of the info slips by me, so I'm doing quest without really knowing the where or why. There's a lot of talk of people and places, but I miss a book of lore, codex or other written in-game means to put things in their context.

*edit: build better-flowing sentences about waiving swords.
    elminster
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Son_of_Imoen I also enjoyed HoMM 4. Quite a lot actually. My one biggest complaint about it is that the magic system is completely stupid. The style of the game made it completely different from HoMM 3 but in a good way. IMO it is just barely edged out by HoMM 3 as my favorite Heroes game. Never played 1 or 2 though.

So it is like this:
    HoMM3>HoMM4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HoMM5 and up
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Son_of_Imoen, I like HoMM 4 as well. I didn't hate HoMM 5, although I couldn't stay interested in it past the necromancer's scenario. When I got to the night elf warlock scenario, I just didn't feel like continuing. I thought there was too much wandering around solo with no castle, and too little actual strategy resource management and army building in classic HoMM style.

I didn't even buy HoMM 6, because I played the demo, and I thought it was unfinished, and had had too many critical elements removed from gameplay and art.

Did anybody else ever play Dark Wizard on the Sega Genesis CD? That was my very first fantasy game that got me into all the rest. I went from there to HoMM I, and MM6, then HoMM II and MM7, and from there to Baldur's Gate.

Dark Wizard was pretty awesome in its day, for anyone who liked hex based army deployment and strategy. It was kind of like a console version of Fantasy General.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I have only just discovered these new parts of the forum! lol

So Strategy and RPG are my two main game genres. I don't seem to play as many games as some of u, but I do tend to get dedicated/addicted to those I do play.

I spent a lot of time with Hearts of Iron 2 a few years ago, played campaigns with the USSR, Germany and Nationalist China. And yes, it is an epic game. I loved the attention to detail, and despite its flaws, it is one of the most realistic simulator-type strategy games I've ever played.

For example without cheating, there was no way Nationalist China could successfully pull off a counter-invasion of Japan even if you drive Japanese ground forces out of mainland Asia, due to a total lack of naval technology, doctrine and expertise, my Chinese forces couldn't reach even the nearest Japanese-held islands (Taiwan).

Also despite my best efforts, my massive Soviet counter-attack against Nazi Germany, with which I hoped to reach Berlin in 1943, ground to a halt as supply lines became stretched and logistical problems prevented my advance as much as German resistance. In the end my path to victory was tortuously slow and bloody, just as the Soviet victory in reality was.

Playing as Germany was worse. I actually lost, and I really appreciated just how badly the odds were stacked against Germany in WW2 in terms of manpower and resources. I destroyed so many Soviet divisions in quick pincer strikes, but there were always more and more and more... eventually I ran out of oil. (My version of Stalingrad also resulted in a disastrous loss) lol

I also played a mod of HoI2 for Modern Warfare, set around the time of the 2003 Iraq War, but I couldn't win as China, where my game either ended with defeat by the USA/NATO Coalition, or global nuclear war, in which everybody loses. lol

I'm pretty excited about the release of Rome 2 Total War next month. But I don't think my computer will be good enough to play it properly, even though they say min requirements won't be any more than Shogun 2.
    elminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    terzaerian
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

Alpha Centauri :D

I played that game once or twice. Very complicated. Lots of moving parts. Probably fun if I could only figure it out... And this is coming from a guy who could figure out Myst and Riven at the age of 6.
    elminster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650

Did anybody else ever play Dark Wizard on the Sega Genesis CD? That was my very first fantasy game that got me into all the rest. I went from there to HoMM I, and MM6, then HoMM II and MM7, and from there to Baldur's Gate.

Dark Wizard was pretty awesome in its day, for anyone who liked hex based army deployment and strategy. It was kind of like a console version of Fantasy General.

I just commented on that game in the music thread. I loved loved that game!!!

Although it is likely a case for the saying "you can't go home again," I would love to see DW:EE!!!!!
    BelgarathMTH
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Command and Conquer before the Evil Empire took over Westwood.
    Risk computer game http://www.gamespot.com/risk-jewel-case/reviews/risk-review-2532816/ Good luck finding that.
    elminster
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    TJ_Hooker said:

I would probably be playing Civ 5 right now, seeing as how I recently bought Brave New World for it, but I find I just don't have the patience for the long turn times, especially mid- to late-game. Hopefully a new computer will remedy this, as I plan to get one in the next few months.

I know this is an old comment but believe me a good processor helps A LOT! After I got my new computer I got on civ 5 and opened a very old game that started just taking forever for turns to go by, and it was almost like around renaissance time where it is still short, but not instant. at least it didn't take about 10 minutes anymore
    TJ_Hooker
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Have you ever played Disciples II and Disciples III? It is a fantasy strategy game with a Gothic atmosphere. Disciples II has a very fascinating dark style and an intriguing plot, while Disciples III remands more the Renaissance style and is not so much brilliant in terms of plot (but its expansion is a little better).
    Fredjo
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Has anyone gotten Rome:Total War 2 so far?

I've played a fair bit of it and enjoyed it, but not as much as the original Rome, which sucked me in from the first minute. I've been trying to think of why this is but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe someone else has a similar experience and can open my eyes.