Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

Comments

• TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    When I first went to the BG2EE website in a flurry of childish excitement, I admit I was a little disappointed when I first saw the price. And then I remembered that BG2 and ToB were awesome, and it stopped mattering.
    MERLANCEQuartzdosentti666SCARY_WIZARD
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    thing is most of the people on the forum will gladly pay this price for the game so people making statements of this kind is pretty irrelevent seeeing as they are probably amoungst the most dedicated fans of the series

what matters is wether people outside of the central group of BG followers will be willing to pay this amount and that remains to be seen
    The_New_RomancemylegbigWonderboy2402lolien
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    $25 is less than half of what I pay for a new console release so I'm cool with it.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • DemeanerDemeaner Member Posts: 8
    Yeah, guess I'm preaching to the choir here...
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I wasn't very surprised by the price, it isn't an excessive amount. I wonder what the iPad version will be priced at this go around. $20 perhaps, and paying extra for the added characters?
  • ObviouslyLEETObviouslyLEET Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    The price is WAY too steep, as it was in the original. You can buy the original on GOG for $10. Basically, all you're getting is a couple of fan-made characters with a new arena-type area and a new GUI. All the bug fixes, etc. are readily available and free of charge. I don't see how anyone who doesn't have rose-colored glasses can call this a bargain. These new characters would have to be some of the deepest seen in an RPG to justify a $15 dollar increase.
    The_New_Romance
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

The price is WAY too steep, as it was in the original. You can buy the original on GOG for $10. Basically, all you're getting is a couple of fan-made characters with a new arena-type area and a new GUI. All the bug fixes, etc. are readily available and free of charge. I don't see how anyone who doesn't have rose-colored glasses can call this a bargain.

Oh my gosh. See I usually think I'm a cheap-ass and get self-conscious, then I see all the people like this and feel good about myself. So thanks, ObviouslyLEET! You make me feel good.
    mch202CrevsDaak
  • ObviouslyLEETObviouslyLEET Member Posts: 3
    Quartz said:

The price is WAY too steep, as it was in the original. You can buy the original on GOG for $10. Basically, all you're getting is a couple of fan-made characters with a new arena-type area and a new GUI. All the bug fixes, etc. are readily available and free of charge. I don't see how anyone who doesn't have rose-colored glasses can call this a bargain.

Oh my gosh. See I usually think I'm a cheap-ass and get self-conscious, then I see all the people like this and feel good about myself. So thanks, ObviouslyLEET! You make me feel good.
    Hey, if you want to get ripped off, then so be it. The extra content added in the original was a bit shallow for my taste, but thats why I bought on Steam for $5 dollars. I won't waste money for fan made content unless t's exceptional.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    After paying only 5 bucks for BG EE and getting 124 hours of enjoyment out of it, I would have no problem paying full price for BG 2 EE.
    I've paid a hell a lot more for games I've never even finished.
    I'm getting it day one.
    The high res and zoom alone make it worth it.
  • ilhdrilhdr Member Posts: 33
    Everyone that is complaining around about the price will not buy the game even if it became cheaper. So this is not a real problem.
    JuliusBorisovelminster
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Another way to look at it is that several of the people who have put in tremendous amounts of time modding, updating and supporting the BG games over the years have been hired by Beamdog. So on top of credits and recognition, a part of the $25 you pay for the EE goes to the people without whom the enhanced editions likely would not have been possible; and certainly without whom GOG could not lean on features like fixpacks, Tutu, and NPC Projects to turn the BG games into any kind of viable alternative to the EE:s.

But obviously it's easy to forget about all the pro-bono work done over more than a decade when all you have to do is click some download links.
    elminsteralnairStarflower2525
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I think the main problem with the pricing is the shoddy state of BG:EE. We still didn't get all that we paid for (and what was promised), and now BG2:EE is to cost even more with no fan/preorder/already-own-part-one bonus whatsoever.
    That's bitter, and I'm sure most people outside of this community won't even consider buying it until the inevitable Steam sale eight weeks after release.
    DragonspearSuiboonrevanbh
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

Shandyr said:

I would suggest to discuss if the price is adequate or not AFTER BG2:EE has come out, and AFTER you have played it.

Of course not... How you discuss if the price is ok after you buy it? I'm, for example, will not buy for that price with so few new features, and still missing features for BG1 EE (cloud saves).
    That works both ways. How can I know it's worth what I paid without having and trying it? You are guessing either way.

• ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    im ok with the 25$, its about 20 € ... Of course if someone has a problem with that price can wait for steam version and a discount ... i see one time bgee at 3,99 €
    JuliusBorisov
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Arctic said:

im ok with the 25$, its about 20 € ... Of course if someone has a problem with that price can wait for steam version and a discount ... i see one time bgee at 3,99 €

Or be like me and buy it first from here, and then again from Steam sale to have it in your library there. That's what I did with BGEE, and intend to do with BG2EE too!

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2013
    mylegbig said:

Project Eternity is a new game. New games tend to cost that much, if not more. BG2:EE is a very old game with a few enhancement. And yes, it's a great game, but we know that because we already played the hell out of it and likely already own the old version. As I said, I'll be buying it, but let's not pretend that this is a good deal.

Edit: I could be wrong, but the relatively high price may be to cover up for the losses during the whole legal mess. They probably need to price it at this amount in order to make a decent enough profit, which they would need in order to make updated versions of other IE games. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Um. The price isn't high. Not even relatively. If 24.95 is a "relatively high" price, you've got way bigger financial problems than buying games.

Let's not pretend there's a problem here; there isn't one.

Edit: I get that you're buying it anyway. Let's me be clear; if the price was "relatively" high and a real problem for you, it would be the sort of problem where you couldn't buy it. Not just unhappy with the price, not just unwilling to buy it, but literally could not afford to buy it. So yes, it IS a good deal.
    BanexStarflower2525Quartz
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2013
    element said:

thing is most of the people on the forum will gladly pay this price for the game so people making statements of this kind is pretty irrelevent seeeing as they are probably amoungst the most dedicated fans of the series

what matters is wether people outside of the central group of BG followers will be willing to pay this amount and that remains to be seen

That is the point I was trying to make. I just wanted to hear a discussion hear on the forum. Undoubtedly those on this forum are eager to follow and play the game. But I am marginally concerned about the outside perception of the game.

It is sort of preaching to the believers, but as a product I am sure beamdog wants to reach out to those who have yet to play, while also doing a service to the fans.
    revanbh
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Arcalian said:

mylegbig said:

Project Eternity is a new game. New games tend to cost that much, if not more. BG2:EE is a very old game with a few enhancement. And yes, it's a great game, but we know that because we already played the hell out of it and likely already own the old version. As I said, I'll be buying it, but let's not pretend that this is a good deal.

Edit: I could be wrong, but the relatively high price may be to cover up for the losses during the whole legal mess. They probably need to price it at this amount in order to make a decent enough profit, which they would need in order to make updated versions of other IE games. Personally, I'm fine with that.

Um. The price isn't high. Not even relatively. If 24.95 is a "relatively high" price, you've got way bigger financial problems than buying games.

Edit: I get that you're buying it anyway. Let's me be clear; if the price was "relatively" high and a real problem for you, it would be the sort of problem where you couldn't buy it. Not just unhappy with the price, not just unwilling to buy it, but literally could not afford to buy it. So yes, it IS a good deal.
    I don't think you understand the concept of "relatively high." If one bar sells a drink for $5, and another bar sells basically the same cocktail (slightly less watered down) for $10, the drink then becomes relatively expensive. Obviously, it does not mean that $10 is a lot of money.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013

That is the point I was trying to make. I just wanted to hear a discussion hear on the forum. Undoubtedly those on this forum are eager to follow and play the game. But I am marginally concerned about the outside perception of the game.

It is sort of preaching to the believers, but as a product I am sure beamdog wants to reach out to those who have yet to play, while also doing a service to the fans.

well it was a noble effort unfortunatly when bringing up disscusions about price with fans things start getting abit crazy. People are rarely able to aproach such a debate with any real objectivity or composure

In my opinion i think the price is a bit too high and i fear it may put alot of casuals off making the purchase. From a personal perspective i doubt id be willing to pay that much if i wasnt already familiar with the series.
    edited September 2013
    mylegbig said:

Arcalian said:

mylegbig said:

I don't think you understand the concept of "relatively high." If one bar sells a drink for $5, and another bar sells basically the same cocktail (slightly less watered down) for $10, the drink then becomes relatively expensive. Obviously, it does not mean that $10 is a lot of money.
    For your analogy to be correct, the second drink would have to be a) sweeter and b) $6.50. Further, you are trying to say that an unknown drink, at $8, is better. I may very well try Project Eternity, but I won't complain that BG2EE costs *almost* that much and is therefore "relatively high".

Edit: I will say, you are more reasonable than the person on youtube who compared BG2EE to a corpse raised by a necromancer. Sheesh.
  • GarrynGarryn Member Posts: 3
    I don't think you can really compare the price to the price of the GoG version. I previously bought the GoG version and getting it to run at modern resolutions was a pain and was borderline unplayable at native resolution for me.

You're paying for the new UI, new characters and all the work that goes into making it work on modern systems. I also love being able to play them on my Macbook.
    ArcalianQuartz
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    If people on this forum are vexed about "risking" $25 on entertainment, then maybe they should be addressing other areas of their lives rather than playing computer games.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHQuartzAristillius
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I have no issues with the price

aside from that I'm broke and my credit card got cancelled

• SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2013
    Baldur's Gate saga brought back to life... this is already a dream come true, guys. I'm sure the team will not stop to amuse us with new contents. So for now i think we should just wait and see, but I'm sure BG2EE release will be much more exciting than a new game release for many of us, including me.
    25$? is ok since BG2EE will prevent me from buying new games for at least 1 hear and half :D:D
    (except for super cheap sales on steam)
    BelgarathMTH
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Arcalian said:

For your analogy to be correct, the second drink would have to be a) sweeter and b) $6.50. Further, you are trying to say that an unknown drink, at $8, is better. I may very well try Project Eternity, but I won't complain that BG2EE costs *almost* that much and is therefore "relatively high".

Edit: I will say, you are more reasonable than the person on youtube who compared BG2EE to a corpse raised by a necromancer. Sheesh.

I was actually comparing BG 2 on GOG with BG2:EE, although I should've been clearer about that.

mylegbig said:

Arcalian said:

I was actually comparing BG 2 on GOG with BG2:EE, although I should've been clearer about that.

I'm tempted to just leave this be, but to clarify in my turn, BG2 GOG is the $5 drink, BG2EE is the sweeter $6.50. I threw in the $8 Project Eternity because you mentioned it.