Skip to content

Who you gonna call ???

If we were dropped in to the world of Baldur's Gate I fear most of us would be less than useless. Facing down a pack of bloodthirsty gibberlings / wolves / vampires / beholders does not end well ...

Luckily, we were all dropped with a phone and everyone's favourite group of rag tag NPCs on speed dial and I can safely say, speaking for myself at least, that my button pushing abilities for exceed my monster butchering skills :).

Soooo, if you could choose one Npc and one alone to come save the day and be your personal bodyguard when times got rough, who would it be and why ???

Comments

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2013
    I'd go with Korgan.

Whether he likes me or not (he most certainly would not) the chance to hack his way through the Sword Coast and perhaps the odd beer thrown in as well should be enough to (hopefully) keep him from turning his axe in my direction.

Plus magic's overrated, in an ambush I want the guy who can come out swinging from the get go, not asking for 15minutes of prep time before he get's started thus, Korgan's my guy!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    No single NPC can handle everything thrown at him/her. :-( I would prefer a strong, and tough npc. But it will still not guarantee survival. Go with Kagain and he may be turned into punchison by bandit archers (low dex) go with Minsc and he can cut you down when he's berserk, go with Shar-teel and she can castrate you, etc.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Arkanis the Dwarf. Dude's got a 19 Constitution, his alignment is the same as mine, and he's got 29 Hit Points at level 2 -- 1 Hit Point shy of the cap. He is an BEAST! Sure, he's going to need to swap out that bow for some darts or a sling or a crossbow, but I want that dude by my side.

If he isn't willing to deal with humans, I'd give Imoen a call.

or Finch or Indira or Keto SHUT UP THEY'RE CANON TO ME :(
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'd choose Hiroshi, one of the NPCs from the Magical Girl Roleplaying Game I play in.

If its restricted to BG only, I'll take Aerie. Double the spellcasting, double the me not getting squished. Or maybe Mazzy. She's spunky and awesome.

No wait, can I take Elminster?
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    edited September 2013
    Biff the Understudy.

He has the right lines at the right time. Lets just say he knows what to say?

Edit: Well he wont help out much in combat :\ hopefully I could outrun him...
    CaptRory said:

No wait, can I take Elminster?

Isn't Elminster all about not interfering? He'd ignore the call, casually wander by afterwards for a chat and make sure you clearly understood that you just got your ass kicked :)
    edited September 2013
    oops
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I don't know...a group of gibberlings does not really sound dangerous to me. So I'd call Viconia...I always wanted to meet her in person. Plus having a hot cleric that can raise you in case you die is priceless.

If I really needed the protection, Ajantis (BG), Keldorn (BG2) or Dorn (BGEE - and I already like him). Fighters make better bodyguards than squishy mages.
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    Haer'Dalis or Jaheira would probably get the call. Haer'Dalis because he is charming and cool in general and knows a bit of everything. A nice guy to hang out with. Jaheira because she seems like the ultimate caretaker, and both a fighter and a healer. I'm also secretly in love with her so I'd gladly let her care for me however she likes. ;)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Kivan.
    All those gibberlings would be dead before I'd hang up the phone.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Chuck Norris, I choose you !
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Narcillicus and his Mustard Jelly twin bodyguards. :3
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I reckon in BG1/EE that Yeslick would be a good go-to guy. He can smack folks around if he has to, and heal me if I get beaten up. He's also a Dwarf so I'll seem taller by comparison, and he doesn't say anything too annoying. Win-Win.
    @Mathmick

It was too obvious. Everyone was thinking it, why share the joke with outsiders?
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Corvino said:

@Mathmick

It was too obvious. Everyone was thinking it, why share the joke with outsiders?

Of course it was obvious. That's why I'm surprised no-one said it within the first 2 replies for easy and delicious likes.
    Maybe we all just take Baldur's Gate really seriously? Too seriously. Just wait until the arguments break out.
    Mathmick said:

Corvino said:

@Mathmick

Of course it was obvious. That's why I'm surprised no-one said it within the first 2 replies for easy and delicious likes.
    Never fear, if I ever start a thread again it will, irrespective of content, be titled 'Groundhog Day' :)
    Corvino said:

Maybe we all just take Baldur's Gate really seriously? Too seriously. Just wait until the arguments break out.

If the internet has taught us one thing it's that when it comes to twenty sided dice you can Never be too serious ...
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Imoen romance? You better call Saul!

• DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    Jan Jansen ofcourse and he'd better have some turnips on him.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Kivan, probably, because archers rock. Coran would be even more useful, what with his having thief skills and all, but I'm not sure I could stand him constantly hitting on everything with ovaries. Shar-Teel is also tempting, just so I could confuse her with the power of male feminism, but I suspect it wouldn't end well regardless.
  • Starflower2525Starflower2525 Member Posts: 44
    Kivan.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Aerie. She can teach me arcane spells (which is probably my best bet at surviving danger, because I'm not physically imposing), and heal/rez me if/when I get hit.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Viconia. She's hot and she has the means to help with ANY situation. Her magic resistance would be useful against a host of beasties. She can summon some skeletons and cast some nappy spells for other situations when brute force is neccessary and her max charisma would just brighten my day.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    edited September 2013
    Since this is literally me being dropped into Faerun, I'd pick Khalid. One, he comes with Jaheira the druid by default, so that's two people covering me in this strange new world right off the bat. Two, I think that, personally, I would get along with him best, even if he's usually the least effective character in my party in-game. He's also not very egotistical or greedy, so he'd be most likely to help out a random stranger like me in need. Your Korgans, your Viconias and Kivans, yes they are all interesting *characters*, but if we're talking "people who you would want watching your back after being deposited into a radically different world" you want stable, halfways normal people that you can relate to.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    If I want someone to protect me, I'd go for Keldorn. It's what's he's all about. Plus he's kind of a father-figure...