Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Torin said:

Kratok said:

Of all the new stuff I am perhaps most looking forward to the 30+ new areas. I do believe that's more than TotSC had, and it was sold as an expansion pack. Completely new, high quality areas have always been difficult for modders to add, considering how stunning the backgrounds look in BG2. I'd be willing to pay that amount just to get so much (basically an expanion's worth) of extra high quality gameplay content to what is maybe my favorite game of all time.

THEN we can consider the 4 new NPC's complete with quests and voice acting, the 350k words, numerous fixes and improvements to the engine, the Black Pits, even better looking areas, new portraits/voices and so on...

Yeah, 20€ sounds like one hell of a bargain to me, no matter how I look at it. Preordered as soon as I saw the news.

What are you talking about? What 30+ new areas?! and 4 new NPCs are 3 from BG1EE and only 1 new one.
    Ah, I see. 30+ new areas are only for new NPCs. I hate that. That is not a selling point for me.. I don't want to be forced to take new NPCs. And new areas in BG1EE were bad. If these are same, I would rather play without them.
    Right, but we're talking about whether the price-point is justified, not whether you like what was added (I don't care for Lamborghinis, but I don't argue that they should be cheaper for that reason). 30+ New areas, 350,000 New words of dialogue, and all the other improvements mentioned exhaustively here easily warrant a few dollars more given the sheer amount of work required. Whether or not you like the result is certainly relevant to your enjoyment of the game, but has little to do with the justification for the price.

MonkLoveralnair
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    My point is... I will buy the game. On the steam sale.

I don't think the promised extra features on the game worth $25. I'm not even sure that they will deliver all the promised ones (where are the cloud saves?).

This is not a new game. This is a really old game with some extra features. I would pay $50 or $60 for a truly remade game.

I would buy Project Eternity for that price, if it's a great game, as promised... 100% new content, 2013 graphics, new systems and stuff.

EE is nothing similar.

I would rather handle $15 to beamdog directly than buy it for $ 7,50 (or less) and give less than it to beamdog.

There's similar complaints about it outside on the forums (even forum posters, who are supposed to be the most avid fans are divided on this topic).

I'm not sure this is the best course of action...

I do not feel ripped, since I will have a cheaper option on time, but I want to register my intentions and make clear to the developers my point.
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    If you think about it in terms of what they did for the Apple Market version of BG:EE the additional NPCs were DLC that were $5 US if I am not mistaken and the game itself was cheaper than the PC and Mac versions that already came with all of the new NPCs. We are getting a new NPC in BG2:EE which I am guessing will be an additional $5 DLC on the mobile app markets hence $25.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2013

My point is... I will buy the game. On the steam sale.

I don't think the promised extra features on the game worth $25. I'm not even sure that they will deliver all the promised ones (where are the cloud saves?).

This is not a new game. This is a really old game with some extra features. I would pay $50 or $60 for a truly remade game.

I would buy Project Eternity for that price, if it's a great game, as promised... 100% new content, 2013 graphics, new systems and stuff.

EE is nothing similar.

I would rather handle $15 to beamdog directly than buy it for $ 7,50 (or less) and give less than it to beamdog.

There's similar complaints about it outside on the forums (even forum posters, who are supposed to be the most avid fans are divided on this topic).

I'm not sure this is the best course of action...

I do not feel ripped, since I will have a cheaper option on time, but I want to register my intentions and make clear to the developers my point.

Or you can pay your lunch in the break time between your work and spend these $25 also, 100% new content for you stomach, but will last about 10 to 15 minutes only. But then, brought the game in STEAM is totally legit and you're doing not wrong by purchase with them, as said before if ppl don't mind wait to get the game in STEAM, then go for it!
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Messi said:

Torin said:

What are you talking about? What 30+ new areas?! and 4 new NPCs are 3 from BG1EE and only 1 new one.
    Ah, I see. 30+ new areas are only for new NPCs. I hate that. That is not a selling point for me.. I don't want to be forced to take new NPCs. And new areas in BG1EE were bad. If these are same, I would rather play without them.

What? So because Dorn, Neera and Rasaad were in BGEE they aren't new characters?

Can you have Neera join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Dorn join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Rasaad join you in BG2 now? No.
    Can you have Hexxat join you in BG2 now? No.

Counting, one, two, three, four characters there myself.
    Still not worth +15$. Not even close. Not to mention I already own BG2 on CDs :)
    So, it is not worth +25$. I also own BG1, but I felt BGEE was worth buying. BG2EE is not. I will not support devs just based on brand loyalty or something. I only buy quality products worth the money.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Torin said:

Messi said:

Torin said:

What? So because Dorn, Neera and Rasaad were in BGEE they aren't new characters?

Still not worth +15$. Not even close. Not to mention I already own BG2 on CDs :)
    So, it is not worth +25$. I also own BG1, but I felt BGEE was worth buying. BG2EE is not. I will not support devs just based on brand loyalty or something. I only buy quality products worth the money.
    What about 24 bit renders of backgrounds instead of 256 colors?
    ElectricMonkalnair
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114

Torin said:

Messi said:

Torin said:

What about 24 bit renders of backgrounds instead of 256 colors?
    I actually wrote that before I read about it. I will see the images comparison, and reevaluate that.
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24
    mch202 said:

Another point is that the background areas of bg2 are now look better since:

-Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster 3 Sep

@ crawek Yeah, we found the original 24 bit renders, the color depth is much better than the 256 color compressed stuff BGII shipped with.-Trent Oster ‏@ TrentOster 6h

@ crawek That is correct, all BGII background areas and our new areas look a lot better.

No mod out there can offer that!

Wish they could do that with the original.
    mch202alnair
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Torin said:

Messi said:

Torin said:

You know that Beamdog didn't put a gun barrel in your forehead and demanded you to purchase the game, do you? If these 4 characters are all that you see as new, and if you think 4 characters aren't worth $25... how can i put this withtout being offensive... well i can't: Go back to BG2 vanilla and be happy there. Simple as that.

You can also wait to see the bonus prices in steam if the price is what worry you so much, but then, that's your problem with steam as Beamdog has no link with the sales made there, that's covered by ATARI itself.

What you can't do, no matter what, is convince me or anyother people with good sense that the price is wrong. 1° - if i thought the price to be abusive, surely i woudn't need someone to explain this to me. 2° - you already stated your point about the price, so... what the f... you want now? It's not like the devs are going to bow before you and drop the prices with a following letter of apologise.
    GodKaiserHellmch202
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    My personal opinion is 25$ is a very fair price for 4 new characters not counting new areas and the additional Black Pits.
    Dorn is my favorite character now. I can't wait for Gorgar (my Half-Orc barb) and Dorn to conquer BG 2.
  • PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2013
    Just saying, if people spent half the time they spent complaining about $25 studying or looking for a job, perhaps they'd be able to afford that $25.

I haven't seen a fanbase this critical since Final Fantasy XIV, they don't deserve most of the crap some of you are giving them, and I hope it won't discourage them into thinking all gamers are such children.
    Badmass
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I'll be honest. I'll pre-order some time in the near future and buy the game, because frankly, i have spent more money on ridiculous things.

I don't know if Beamdog is serious about making something of their own afterwards, or making another enhancement that is more substancial, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt and support them so i see what they end up doing in the end. It's a genre i'm interested in, and i want to see it continue to exist.

I might not like some things about the EEs in general, but i have decided to support them.

HOWEVER...

I will say something more, as constructive criticism, if you want, with no ill will.

In no way 25$ is a large sum, and i'm not gonna argue about the content being worth it or not, since it's subjective. For me, it might be not. As far as what new it offers. You might have a different opinion obviously.

But if you see Project Eternity, that is a new game, new art, new everything, higher quality graphics and more work involved, that you can get with 20$ if you backed it, then you might think about it twice. It's 29$ for the non backers, but stil, you get the point.

Anyway peace.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminster
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    There seems to be a fundamental misconception in this thread...which has been addressed, but ignored.

No one, that I have seen, is saying that they don't like the $25 price because they literally cannot afford to pay $25.

They're saying that they don't see the game as being worth that much money. Not that they can't afford it.

So, stop vilifying people who have contrary opinions by pigeonholing them as poor, ignorant morons.

And before you jump on me, I literally pre-ordered the game the second I could.
    ErgBadmass
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    Shandyr said:

Yes in the end you'll get the game for those 29$. However I am not sure if 29$ will be the retail price for Project Eternity once it has been published.

Frankly, after all what I've seen and heard of Project Eternity, 29$ would be very inexpensive.

But that opens the debate of what is cheap, inexpensive and expensive, to which everyone may have their own opinion.

PE footage and SC haven't impressed me at alI it looks like BG2 12 years ago, and I doubt the size of PE will get anywhere near BG2:EE - not to mention the story, which basically have to be the best ever made in RPG computing in order to topple BG2:EE.

Actually 29$ seems like a high price for that product compared to BG2:EE

OR wait, COULD it be that BG2:EE actually had a reasonable pricetag?

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2013
    killeah said:

Shandyr said:

Yes in the end you'll get the game for those 29$. However I am not sure if 29$ will be the retail price for Project Eternity once it has been published.

Frankly, after all what I've seen and heard of Project Eternity, 29$ would be very inexpensive.

But that opens the debate of what is cheap, inexpensive and expensive, to which everyone may have their own opinion.

PE footage and SC haven't impressed me at alI it looks like BG2 12 years ago, and I doubt the size of PE will get anywhere near BG2:EE - not to mention the story, which basically have to be the best ever made in RPG computing in order to topple BG2:EE.

BG2:EE is the enhancement of BG2, not the whole game. A new game that you could back for 20$ and even now for 29$ seems expensive compared to BG2:EE? BG2 is a 13 year old game on top of that.

BG:EE and BG2:EE combined will take 1 year and 8 months, without even excluding the 1.5 month that work was not going forward as the devs were saying, so, how exactly can you suggest that BG2:EE involves more work somehow than PE?

If you found PE not to your liking, don't back it, but your claim that it looks like BG2 of old, is just your opinion, and there is no credit to it. Trying to pass it as fact that proves PE as overpriced is not giving it any extra substance.

@Shandyr , yeah i don't know PE's retail, but i know you could get it for 20$ then, and now for 29$. BG:EE when pre-ordering was 18$, now it's 20$. I assume the same increase will happen for BG2:EE. I also don't have to assume the retail will be much higher, if at all higher, while everyone can still get it for 29$, for as long as the development cycle goes.
    TJ_HookerMonkLover
  • dwilliams1966dwilliams1966 Member Posts: 41
    People are arguing over $25?

$25 buys me half a tank of gas, or a Friday night pizza delivered from Pappa John's.

I was an early kickstarter supporter of Wasteland 2. I sent them something like $60 for the boxed set, about a year ago, just based on my belief that they could pull it off. Should be seeing the fruits of that investment later this year.

No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to pay $25 for BG2EE.
    BelgarathMTH
  • siril_danasiril_dana Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2013
    I find it really expensive, but I don't mind as long as I can get a steam sale.
    Post edited by siril_dana on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Personally I think its worth the price. But if people want to wait for it to go down in price on a Beamdog/Steam sale or for reviews to come out I totally understand :)
    [Deleted User]
  • LynXLynX Member Posts: 3
    I'm fine with price, many games costs way more than 25$, are less fun and have no multiplayer and people still buy them. I already own more than 3 copies of BG2 and I already pre-purchased BG2EE because I just love this game, I spent more hours playing it than I can remember and I always find something new.

Even though some people might say that it's copy of game that is 12 years old, there is plenty of new stuff (mainly one evil character). There will be plenty of new stuff in EE, so I'm sure it'll pay off. One thing I would like to see, as someone before me mentioned, is some sort of transition from storyline in BG1 to BG2, not just some text.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    Shandyr said:

killeah said:

PE footage and SC haven't impressed me at alI it looks like BG2 12 years ago

Checkout this video from 01:49 to 03:24

To me this does not look like BG2 12 years ago. But obviously this is just a matter of perception, just like what price is justified, fair or not. I think everyone can express their view on this, but I doubt that someone can convince someone else what price is reasonable and what price is not.

@killeah Just like I could not convince you that PE does not look like BG2 12 years ago.
    Because it is a matter of perception. In my eyes it does not look like BG2 12 years ago.
    In your eyes it does.

So we can agree to disagree.

I am a backer of project eternity , and i agree it looks great, but we also have to think that bg:ee /bg2:ee has not 4 million $ for making the game.

Also i think that there are more important improvements for bgee than how it looks.(bug, npcs, externalization (where are you multiclass sorcerers xD? ),new quests, ect ).

killeah said:

Shandyr said:

Wait what does SC stand for?
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    elminster said:

killeah said:

Shandyr said:

Yeah, I saw that and thought "wait, what does Starcraft have to do with it?"
    elminsterMathmick
    edited September 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

elminster said:

killeah said:

Shandyr said:

My first thought was Soulcaliber. Then I'm like, nah, that can't be right. :D

You are probably right about it being Starcraft.
    TJ_Hooker
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    The only thing that can attract me is the high resolution areas, because I have no interest in the newly added NPCs. I hope they can be totally avoided, as well as other Beamdog added content. Also, expecting a heap of newly introduced bugs (as we learned from BG:EE), I don't think the game it's worth 25$ at the release date. I will wait at least several patches or some promotion before getting it.
    Aasimar069
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    gunman said:

The only thing that can attract me is the high resolution areas, because I have no interest in the newly added NPCs. I hope they can be totally avoided, as well as other Beamdog added content. Also, expecting a heap of newly introduced bugs (as we learned from BG:EE), I don't think the game it's worth 25$ at the release date. I will wait at least several patches or some promotion before getting it.

You could very well be right, but that seems like an odd stance to me. I was under the impression that the new NPCs and their content were universally appreciated, with the possible exception of Rasaad's low power level (which will be easily solved in BG2EE). And most of the bugs from BGEE were engine issues, the fixes of which should carry over into BG2EE.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    TJ_Hooker said:

elminster said:

killeah said:

A feeble atempt to abbriviate screenshot, I failed hard.
    elminsterTJ_Hooker
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    Madhax said:

And most of the bugs from BGEE were engine issues, the fixes of which should carry over into BG2EE.

Not really. Broken quests are not engine issues and one is persisting even now in the prologue. After seeing how BG:EE was dished out, I'm prepared for anything now.