Skip to content

Which Girl does your Charname fancy? (BG 2)

1235»

Comments

• terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232

Well if you want to bring pictures into this...

Yes Mely!!! photo emot-swoon.gif
    CrevsDaak
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Im a dwarf archer and I enjoy being in the back row looking at Mazzy Fenton's cute little Butt
    CoM_SolaufeinQuartz
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    Am I the only one turned off by viconia worshipping shar?
    (shar's goal is to exterminate all life)
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Once I learned that the actress who voices Aerie was also the voice of Rugrats' Phil and Lil, I just couldn't look at her the same way again. Also true of Sarevok/Principal Lewis from American Dad, but in a good way...

*Anyway,* I have to go with Jaheira because I like strong women and because her storyline seems to have the most depth (to be fair, haven't played much with Viconia). I was always impressed that the writers were able to pull off a romance with a character whose husband just died in a way that actually felt genuine and believable.

Btw, that romance was buggy as hell...looking forward to an ee version where I won't have to keep checking it via CLUA : )
    terzaerian
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    taltamir said:

So what, no pregnancy, no progenity, no alimony, no bankruptcy. By that standard Viconia is the best (cheapest) girl to romance :)!

terzaerian
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Purudaya said:

Btw, that romance was buggy as hell...looking forward to an ee version where I won't have to keep checking it via CLUA : )

Agreed!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Aerie.
    edited September 2013
    kamuizin said:

taltamir said:

So what, no pregnancy, no progenity, no alimony, no bankruptcy. By that standard Viconia is the best (cheapest) girl to romance :)!

Heh. Until she strangles you in your sleep.

I know you are joking but I actually like the idea of settling down and having a family (if you don't, just cast "illusory booty call" every night). And alimony and bankruptcy only happens if you divorce which also is not what I expect.
    taltamir said:

kamuizin said:

taltamir said:

Heh. Until she strangles you in your sleep.

I know you are joking but I actually like the idea of settling down and having a family (if you don't, just cast "illusory booty call" every night). And alimony and bankruptcy only happens if you divorce which also is not what I expect.
    No one expect it my friend, it's all flowers and sunshines in the begin :)!

Ps: Viconia is put under a geas in chapter 6 of BG2, so she can't betray the main char without dying a terrible death. So by these standards there's no better girl :)!
  • ArkanisGathArkanisGath Member Posts: 4
    Jaheira, manipulator.

Simple talk-
    Chief of svirfneblin: I have a magic stone that can help you to speak Adalon.
    CHARNAME (evil): Haaahaa, now you die little one, you stupid to tell me secret before work to you.
    Jaheira: No you don't kill them, this is'nt right to do.
    CHARNAME: Ok. Fine.

By the way you can't be god at end of TOB but Jaheira leaves you. :)
    kamuizin
  • Sterling580Sterling580 Member Posts: 26
    Aerie, of course!
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    taltamir said:

kamuizin said:

Heh
    kamuizin said:

Ps: Viconia is put under a geas in chapter 6 of BG2, so she can't betray the main char without dying a terrible death. So by these standards there's no better girl :)!

Seems like a very creepy basis for a relationship
    Indeed. That is more like slavery than romance

taltamir said:

kamuizin said:

Heh
    kamuizin said:

It's easy to see why you picked Aerie @BladeDancer :)! Just kidding my friend XD!
    So, having further familiarized myself with the core romances...

Aerie: whaaa, I have a minor physical disability and thus LIFE ISN'T WORTH LIVING! Even though I have a loving family and friends.
    You lesser races just don't understand, we winged-elves are so awesome, but now I have to crawl on the ground like you lesser races! Woe is me.

Do you think you are the only one with a physical disability in the world? get over yourself... and stop it with the racist comments!

Jehiera: "Balance Balance Balance Balance... Society and cities are evil, foul places and I would destroy them had I the power!"
    Remember when khalid said "if at first I don't succeed, the wife will never let me forget it"... she is an overbearing and annoying twit who keeps on shoving her nonsense idealogy down my throat, tells me what to do, is catty to the rest of the team (she actually joins viconia in bullying aerie!) and broke her late husband's will. (for some reason google insisted on correcting "last husband" to "late husband"... which is oddly appropriate)

Viconia: She delights in emotionally crushing her team mates despite needing to fight side by side with them and claiming to be a manipulator. Despite being the only thing protecting her life she will leave the party on "principle" if you get a good reputation (but she NEEDS a good rep to not be harassed and killed! Heck she even acknowledges Drizzet). Constant martyr act about how cruel and judgemental those lesser races are (to whom she is constantly cruel and judgemental). Will complain on decent acts like giving beggars a single gold coin. And in the end she chickens out after you curb stomp lolths messenger, despite your handy victory and the fact you are a demigod on the path of ascension and you just proved lolth can't touch her.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    taltamir said:

Aerie: whaaa, I have a minor physical disability and thus LIFE ISN'T WORTH LIVING! Even though I have a loving family and friends.
    You lesser races just don't understand, we winged-elves are so awesome, but now I have to crawl on the ground like you lesser races! Woe is me.

Wait until you read all people "reviewing" Aerie as a romance option.

Now that's whining.
    atcDavePurudaya
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    kamuizin said:

taltamir said:

kamuizin said:

Heh
    kamuizin said:

It's easy to see why you picked Aerie @BladeDancer :)! Just kidding my friend XD!
    kamuizin said:

taltamir said:

kamuizin said:

Heh
    kamuizin said:

Very funny! You may be right, @kamuizin, but I still have half a mind to pick Viconia! XD
    taltamir said:

So, having further familiarized myself with the core romances...

Do you think you are the only one with a physical disability in the world? get over yourself... and stop it with the racist comments!

Jehiera: "Balance Balance Balance Balance... Society and cities are evil, foul places and I would destroy them had I the power!"
    Remember when khalid said "if at first I don't succeed, the wife will never let me forget it"... she is an overbearing and annoying twit who keeps on shoving her nonsense idealogy down my throat, tells me what to do, is catty to the rest of the team (she actually joins viconia in bullying aerie!) and broke her late husband's will. (for some reason google insisted on correcting "last husband" to "late husband"... which is oddly appropriate)

Viconia: She delights in emotionally crushing her team mates despite needing to fight side by side with them and claiming to be a manipulator. Despite being the only thing protecting her life she will leave the party on "principle" if you get a good reputation (but she NEEDS a good rep to not be harassed and killed! Heck she even acknowledges Drizzet). Constant martyr act about how cruel and judgemental those lesser races are (to whom she is constantly cruel and judgemental). Will complain on decent acts like giving beggars a single gold coin. And in the end she chickens out after you curb stomp lolths messenger, despite your handy victory and the fact you are a demigod on the path of ascension and you just proved lolth can't touch her.

In other words, they're all flawed, which is what makes them interesting :)

A quick note on Aerie, even though she's not my preferred npc: I consult on disability advocacy for a living, so I can assure you that her preoccupation with having had the equivalent of two limbs forcibly dismembered while she was conscious should not be seen as unrealistic/over-reactive. I know it's a fantasy game and not real life, but Aerie should probably be MORE traumatized than she is, not less.

HeindrichatcDaveAyiekie
    Purudaya said:

A quick note on Aerie, even though she's not my preferred npc: I consult on disability advocacy for a living, so I can assure you that her preoccupation with having had the equivalent of two limbs forcibly dismembered while she was conscious should not be seen as unrealistic/over-reactive. I know it's a fantasy game and not real life, but Aerie should probably be MORE traumatized than she is, not less.

They aren't interesting, they are flat boring caricatures instead of characters, and extremely unappealing at that. Also all 3 of them are racist elves.

She doesn't come off as traumatized at all, she glosses over the amputation and slavery and focuses entirely on the loss of flight ability (which is stupid because she can fly using magic).
    And how many IRL individuals with disabilities are dismissive of all other people with disabilities as if only theirs matters? How many of them make racist comments when discussing their disability?
    Battlehamster
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited September 2013
    Probably a lot of recently disabled people act like that when they're learning to deal with their new disabilities. The fact Aerie can learn to fly again with a Mage spell likely helps her adjust. I always found her an appealing character.
    atcDave said:

Probably a lot of recently disabled people act like that when they're learning to deal with their new disabilities. The fact Aerie can learn to fly again with a Mage spell likely helps her adjust. I always found her an appealing character.

I always found bizarre that an Epic Level Cleric Aerie in ToB didn't fix her wings. Cos, she can make a mass raise dead and ressurect an entire battle field, but regenerate her wings? No, that's too much!!! Genius!
    kamuizin said:

atcDave said:

I always found bizarre that an Epic Level Cleric Aerie in ToB didn't fix her wings. Cos, she can make a mass raise dead and ressurect an entire battle field, but regenerate her wings? No, that's too much!!! Genius!
    That's the sort of problem that always comes up in a fantasy setting. Its hard to make that sort of defect really stick. Only a scripted computer game, with no real provision for winged characters, can go there!
    kamuizinAyiekie
    Or the lazyness of the devs on the past, when BG2 ToB was launched. Was so hard to get someone to print an winged elf and add that to the game?
    kamuizin said:

Or the lazyness of the devs on the past, when BG2 ToB was launched. Was so hard to get someone to print an winged elf and add that to the game?

It seems I've heard some comments about engine limitations, but I'm not a programmer and I understand very little of that stuff.

It sure would be a fun mod or patch to restore Aerie's wings!
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    doggy said:

I want to date someone who is not a cleric for a chance. Edwina would be fun though

And as a result, both the LGBT and hetero communities were confused for years to come...

I'm still bitter over how racist the game is. Clearly humans have no date-able women. What's up with that? And lets not even get started with how badly the littlefolk get shafted.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

doggy said:

I want to date someone who is not a cleric for a chance. Edwina would be fun though

And as a result, both the LGBT and hetero communities were confused for years to come...

I'm still bitter over how racist the game is. Clearly humans have no date-able women. What's up with that? And lets not even get started with how badly the littlefolk get shafted.
    Pfffff, first world problem! I'm still outraged that there is no polyamorous romance option for the Ghost of Ulcaster, Travel Encounter Ogre Mage and Dushai. What's up with that? ಠ_ಠ
    PurudayaatcDaveterzaerian
    taltamir said:

Purudaya said:

They aren't interesting, they are flat boring caricatures instead of characters, and extremely unappealing at that. Also all 3 of them are racist elves.

She doesn't come off as traumatized at all, she glosses over the amputation and slavery and focuses entirely on the loss of flight ability (which is stupid because she can fly using magic).
    And how many IRL individuals with disabilities are dismissive of all other people with disabilities as if only theirs matters? How many of them make racist comments when discussing their disability?
    Yeah, constantly reliving your dismemberment, slavery, and loss of physical ability aren't indicative of trauma at all. The character's wings and ability to fly were central to her identity and sense of self-worth; criticizing races that are bound to the earth isn't racist, it's her way of channeling what she's feeling about _herself_. I'm not saying everything about her story is perfect (ie baby inventory item), but the parts of the narrative dealing with her feelings of loss are actually fairly accurate given the limited scope of the storytelling.

With regard to people with actual disabilities in the real world? It can't be stressed enough that everyone deals with trauma differently. I've worked with several clients who feel completely defined by their disabilities, others who feel empowered by their recovery, and more than one who has felt resentful of others for not being able to understand their pain. I've worked with rape victims, veterans with PTSD, and people who are terminally ill (though no elves with mutilated wings), and I have seen trauma behavior in real life that makes the trauma behavior in Aerie's narrative look bland and uneventful.

If you don't care for the character, that's fine; but this whole thing about how people with disabilities do and do not behave (as if they are all monolithic) is kind of bizarre.

HeindrichBaldursCat
  • EmmiEmmi Member Posts: 77
    PugPug said:

Anyone know if the Imoen romance is any good?

I think it makes perfect sense, really... growing up together, going through ordeal after ordeal together... it's poetic that they would end up together, in a way.

They only have a sibling-like relationship if you decide they do. It's not really supported in the dialogue, as I recall.

One of my favorite mods in BG2. I still hope that one day, the ToB part will be finished.
  • EmmiEmmi Member Posts: 77

I want to give it a shot, see how the mod is. It makes sense to me too. My charname cares for Imoen as if they were brother and sister. And when she and Irenicus get arrested by the Cowled Wizards, he worries about Immy's well being to the point where you start wondering: "Does he care about Imoen like a brother... or something more?"

"or something more?"

Erm... I have no siblings, but I imagine that if I did, I can't really care about somebody more than I would a close relative like a brother or sister.

Granted romantic love is different to familial love, but I certainly don't think it supercedes it.
    But until you reach spellhold, Charname has no idea Imoen could be his half-sister (if you want to call sharing the devine essence of a god you share a relation like that). So there were years and years where the attraction and the feelings could have developed. From an RP standpoint, it would give you even more urgency to save Imoen. And her abduction could make Charname realize how much more he/she cares about Imoen than he/she was aware of before. The Imoen Romance Mod for SoA did a great job at that, especially with the added dream sequences.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Holy necro... uh... philia, Batman! We'd need a new thread and poll by this point, obviously. :)
    jackjackraeCrevsDaak