Skip to content

Which Girl does your Charname fancy? (BG 2)

Comments

• AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    Victoria Forever.... GIVE ME DLC :|
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Aeschylus said:

Viconia, I assume... unless you've stumbled into the wrong forum and think this is about your favorite monarch. But then I don't know who you'd think the other options are referring to...
    terzaerianCrevsDaak
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    I use no mods, but I like every romance, for different motivations. Aerie's romance is romantic e really fairy, while Jaheira's is hard, painfull but also philosophical. Viconia's is not really evil but by sure the most cruel and dark of all.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

@blackchimes, I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that, too. Yep, found one:

http://imoen.blindmonkey.org/

The buzz and comments I can find say it's not very good, though, and it squicks a lot of people because they see Imoen and Charname as brother and sister.

In my opinion it's a good mod, well written and has a nice and long setup during the time you and Imoen are separated. The main drawback (much like the Fade npc mod) is the lack of ToB continuation.
    Emmi
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Now that I think about it, I tend to view party members differently depending on the character I'm RPing. I'd never romance Jaheira, but she was my most trusted companion during my all-female playthrough; Aerie normally irritates me to no end, but her helplessness worked well for my "white knight" Cavalier; and my current character would be a perfect match for Viconia if I hadn't designed him specifically to pursue Dorn.

So really, it all depends on who you're trying to be in-game.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    It's obvious - if Vikky is in the poll you know the winner from the start.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Coutelier said:

Aeschylus said:

Viconia, I assume... unless you've stumbled into the wrong forum and think this is about your favorite monarch. But then I don't know who you'd think the other options are referring to...
    Maybe the reference was to Victoria's Secret?
    CrevsDaak
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    bengoshi said:

It's obvious - if Vikky is in the poll you know the winner from the start.

That image isn't the only thing that's been resized. :O
    TressetSCARY_WIZARDaqzinaCrevsDaak
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    I never got into romance paths. ( In any game )
    Guess I'm weird.
    One of the reasons I'm still playing a gnome. Don't have to listen to them babble.
    I just want to blow stuff up!

But once you go gnome ....you will never roam.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Well if we're bringing pictures into this :P

http://nixxical.deviantart.com/art/Aerie-358142538

Aerie still wins for me.

@ogreb

I know it's a feature of many Asian MMOs and RPGs, but I've never played any of them yet. Apart from BG 2, I'm not aware of any other Western games with a romance feature. Before BG 2 I probably would've thought it pretty silly, but now I think it's just a nice addition that adds another level of immersion to the epic plot and 'almost-alive' NPC characters that you learn to love and hate.
    CoutelierrexregMontresor_SP
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

I know it's a feature of many Asian MMOs and RPGs, but I've never played any of them yet. Apart from BG 2, I'm not aware of any other Western games with a romance feature. Before BG 2 I probably would've thought it pretty silly, but now I think it's just a nice addition that adds another level of immersion to the epic plot and 'almost-alive' NPC characters that you learn to love and hate.

It's a staple of basically every Bioware RPG after BG 2.

HeindrichTJ_Hooker
    @mylegbig

Oh ok... I guess I'll check out more Bioware games at some stage, although the BG games + other D&D games I just bought will take up my gaming time for the forseeable future lol.

I've never been a 'brand fan'... So I tend to play specific games that I enjoy from a particular developer, like Diablo 3 by Blizzard, but not their other games. BG by Bioware, but I don't even know what other games are theirs also :D
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2013

@mylegbig

Oh ok... I guess I'll check out more Bioware games at some stage, although the BG games + other D&D games I just bought will take up my gaming time for the forseeable future lol.

I've never been a 'brand fan'... So I tend to play specific games that I enjoy from a particular developer, like Diablo 3 by Blizzard, but not their other games. BG by Bioware, but I don't even know what other games are theirs also :D

star wars: knights of the old republic is a good one I hear. don't mistake it with the mmo, star wars the old republic. haven't played it myself, however

dragon age is another newer one. origins is really good in my opinion, but I didn't enjoy the 2nd as most didn't. it is easy for me to recommend origins though as it keep some pretty strategic gameplay that on the hardest difficult strategy goes into every encounter like in bg, while da2 is a simple hack and slash that was actually almost impossible on nightmare. however lower difficulties allow you to more just run in, so that is good if you don't want a challenge.

mass effect was best in the first game, with the most exploration and rpg to be found in the series. I also enjoyed 2 as it was more personal and pretty much about the characters rather than the larger plot (I am also biased because Tali became romanceable in the 2nd game). Considering it sounds like you haven't played it and therefore don't have years in the series yet, you might not even be TOO disappointed in me3. the ending pretty much ruined the series for many (including me) but it may be easier if you played it over a month instead so you don't have as much time replaying the game over and over and fall in love with the characters. also like da2 it got too fast paced and not enough rpg elements like loot, etc. at the very least, mass effect is what made me try baldurs gate in the first place, so I guess I like baldurs gate instead now.
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    neera
  • AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    Viconia... Vicci... Vikki... I just want more :D melt my evil heart.
    Fredjo
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Given that my current Charname is a girl...

Jaheira is generally cast as default mother figure for all my female Charnames. Aerie is little sis, along with Imoen, Nalia is mate material but Viccy... she would definitely fancy Viccy. In fact the only reason Viccy is currently loitering in the graveyard district is because Charname is currently romancing Keldy, and we all know how well they get along...
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    None of them because they are all horribly romances. Really.

If I ever met a person who behaved like them in real life i'd have brained them with a club and ran away as fast as I could.

Jaheira is a cougar with Issues with a capital I. Her husband is dead weeks at most and she is panting after CHARNAME "Oh but I thought we have something! *sob*"
    "What? Khalid has JUST died! Why aren't you still in mourning, you psychotic *****???"
    Also consider that she is technically CHARNAMEs guardian of note after Gorion's death... Yeah. Wow.

Viconia's romance just creeps me the heck out. Seriously she is old enough to be CHARNAMEs great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother. Not to mention the cultural differences between Drow and Surfacer.

And Aerie... Aerie, Aerie, Aerie. She is just intolerable. She is the very definition of a Mary Sue. I can't even say any more. I liked Nalia more than Aerie. Nalia!

IMO, ALL the romances need a serious reworking for BG2EE because they are all catastrophically unrealistic, including Anomen, and Aerie just needs reworked period.

I just don't get how anyone could honestly look at those romances as they were and think any of them were remotely healthy. Or normal. Or well written. Well maybe Viconia because part of the point of her romance is to be unhealthy given that she is an evil drow from the underdark.
    The only things I would change in Aerie's romance are that there should be more build up to it - instead of just starting off with 'my wings have been clipped', because that's not how she is with any other character, she should have a few dialogues of her and the PC just getting to know each other better and for her to start trusting him enough to confide in him. But I would completely change her romance in ToB... well, the bit with the wraith was alright, but the rest... I just don't think it's the right medium for a story like that.
    Oh damn... I'd like to defend Aerie and her romance... but now I gotta stay away from my own thread cos I dunno what happens in ToB and I don't wanna be spoiled :D

Oh damn... I'd like to defend Aerie and her romance... but now I gotta stay away from my own thread cos I dunno what happens in ToB and I don't wanna be spoiled :D

I'll try to avoid mentioning it, but... if you spend a lot of time on these forums I don't see how you could avoid finding out about what happens. It's going to slip out sometime in some thread, maybe one about 'BG3' or something like that. Maybe you should hurry to the end before it does? :)
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    My most recent character was an evil, evil woman, so if I had to answer for her her favorite girl would be Imoen because of all the opportunities she presents for psychological torture.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Of the three available ladies, I prefer Jaheira. Aerie is too insecure and Viccy is too pushy. Jaheira is the only one who seems mature to me.

CHARNAME and Imoen would work out fine, look at Túrin Turambar and Niënor Níniel! They were perfectly happy togeth...oh, wait. :(

Incidentally, the Túrin and Niënor story was loosely based on the Kullervo part of the Kalevala.
    SCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisovStarflower2525
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Incidentally, the Túrin and Niënor story was loosely based on the Kullervo part of the Kalevala.

This is a fact, folks! Except I can't see Imoen takings things to such an extreme. :x CHARNAME, maybe.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Actually. I would have plumped for Nalia if she wasn't redundant.

By that I mean she is basically stand in Imoen.

If they can make her a little more unique then I would totally romance her in one of my play thrus.
    Fredjo
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

Actually. I would have plumped for Nalia if she wasn't redundant.

By that I mean she is basically stand in Imoen.

If they can make her a little more unique then I would totally romance her in one of my play thrus.

She is, and she's not anywhere near as useful or as amusing a Jan. Poor Nals
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26

XD Tresseeet! :p Oy, bloody spoiler tags. I always forget. n_n'

Nalia and Mazzy - I wish they were options. :) Mazzy especially for the shorties. n.n

I always figured Valygar and Mazzy were a sure thing. She does tend to boss him about abit (which he enjoys)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Aerie<3
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Anyone know if the Imoen romance is any good?

I think it makes perfect sense, really... growing up together, going through ordeal after ordeal together... it's poetic that they would end up together, in a way.

They only have a sibling-like relationship if you decide they do. It's not really supported in the dialogue, as I recall.
    Emmi