Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Will be there any extra kits in added bg2:ee? Aside from those that we have in bg1:ee.
  • siril_danasiril_dana Member Posts: 33
    Dee said:

rathlord said:

rathlord said:

@Dee I've got a coupla zingers for you. First, I bought the game on Windows because at the time I didn't realize the game was out for Mac as well. I have gotten the Windows version running on OS X via Wine. Is this a problem? Would it be a problem if I told other people how to do it? I mean, obviously legally I could, but is that something you guys would look down on? I don't mean to cost you sales; some people just won't buy two copies of the same game just to play it on different OS's on the very same computer.

And secondly, how would you guys feel about people distributing the beta patched files to those of us who don't get access to it? I'm certainly capable of manually adding those files to mine- would that be something you guys allowed, or would that be vastly against the rules?

Feel slightly awkward quoting myself again, but since this is something that (especially the first part) could be somewhat important it'd be nice to know.
    To the first question, no, there's nothing wrong with running the game through Wine on your Mac. Although we'd obviously prefer it if everyone bought a copy for every operating system (as well as additional copies for friends, neighbors, infant children...). However, if you'd rather play the game in OSX, send me an email at support@beamdog.com and I can switch your copy over to the Mac version.

As for distributing the beta patched files, it's kind of an ethical grey area. On the one hand, we want people to be able to play the game in its best form. On the other hand, though, it wouldn't be useful to us at all for the purposes of testing. It's a fine line between "helping out a friend who bought the game through Steam" and "releasing something that people could use to patch their pirated copies of the game".

So, if that wasn't ambiguous enough for you, I'd say (and this is me, not on behalf of anyone at Beamdog) that if you have a friend who bought the game through Steam and is looking for a particular fix and that fix is in the Beta, and they don't want to wait until the patch is released on Steam, and they can't afford to buy the copy from Beamdog to show their support, then you have to do what you think is right.

But I would avoid posting the files publicly.
    fair enough
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    Dee said:

To the first question, no, there's nothing wrong with running the game through Wine on your Mac. Although we'd obviously prefer it if everyone bought a copy for every operating system (as well as additional copies for friends, neighbors, infant children...). However, if you'd rather play the game in OSX, send me an email at support@beamdog.com and I can switch your copy over to the Mac version.

How about a Mac + PC bundle for a reduced price? I'm already going to buy Mac+iPad...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Tarquin said:

Dee said:

How about a Mac + PC bundle for a reduced price? I'm already going to buy Mac+iPad...
    Unfortunately our contract requires us to treat them as separate products, so (at least right now) we can't offer a bundle deal.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    A quick question here, is there a chance that the next patch will arrive till Thursday? Me and friends are going to take a small vacation. If not, I don't mind, we'll just gonna play Diablo2:P On a more serious note, can you give at least a time estimate for the next patch? Like days, weeks or months? Thanks for your answer in advance. Keep up the good work.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @ChorazyGlus "When it's done" is probably about as specific as we're going to get until it comes out, I think :)
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    Made my day, thanks a lot:D
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i was hoping there will be less vagueness this time around. too bad i guess.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    A linux version of BG:EE was mentioned a couple of times. Is this going to happen? Is BG2:EE going to get linux love also?
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    hummer010 said:

A linux version of BG:EE was mentioned a couple of times. Is this going to happen? Is BG2:EE going to get linux love also?

Not sure about the glitches vs native, but BG:EE is perfectly playable/completeable via the 'Wine' layer. Can Use windowed fullscreen so the ALT key is less annoying.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @hummer010, the only thing confirmed as far as Linux is concerned is that Overhaul has the right to do a Linux version of BG:EE (and I think BG2:EE as well). It won't be happening any time soon, though.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2013

On a more serious note, can you give at least a time estimate for the next patch? Like days, weeks or months?

LiamEsler said:

@ChorazyGlus "When it's done" is probably about as specific as we're going to get until it comes out, I think :)

trinit said:

i was hoping there will be less vagueness this time around. too bad i guess.

Noticed how they didn't even say '" we can't say yet, but for sure it won't take months". I understand this as : this could be two more months before we see it.

I have to admit, even with no solid news, it's really funny to read this forum, back from work :)
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I asked several pages ago, but I don't think there was an answer, so sorry to ask again! Will the wait for BG2:EE Android be a lot shorter, since the Android BG:EE version is getting close to completion (and hopefully will be out by then)?
    rdarken said:

I asked several pages ago, but I don't think there was an answer, so sorry to ask again! Will the wait for BG2:EE Android be a lot shorter, since the Android BG:EE version is getting close to completion (and hopefully will be out by then)?

Yes, it should be much shorter. The delays so far have been due to the need to rework parts of the engine to make it work on the Android platform. Once those issues are resolved and stable, it should be a lot easier to release both games.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    WHOO HOO! Thanks :)
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    maybe the patch is ready today ? i have a feeling...
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    700 resolved issues?? does this means... 700 bug fixes ? Well in that case i can understand why you can't really give us the patch note before the release.
    Maybe you could have given this number sooner :)
    Not all of them are bug fixes, but a lot of them are.

It wasn't until just the other day that I went in and actually counted. More than a few jaws were dropped around the office, let me tell you. :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    Dee said:

We're not quite there yet, but we're making some really good headway. We'll try to give about a week's notice beforehand.

finally some worthwhile information. i realize complaining won't speed up anything, but at least now i know what kind of procedure i can expect in general. it makes me more at ease and you still have status quo.
    also, it took you really annoyingly long to do so. ಠ_ಠ
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    edited September 2013
    @Dee Thanks so much for the info. I'll refrain from asking for or using the patched version, I'd in no way condone an action that opened it up for piracy. I'm looking at my bank account right now and I may have enough money to just buy the game on Mac- I love giving you guys money. My BG2EE pre-order is already in (for the right system this time =D). I really appreciate you guys being willing to do stuff like this thread and being open about it.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I have a few AMA questions for you.

What is the primary intention of the forum “Promote” feature, and is Beamdog/Overhaul satisfied that the feature is being used by moderators and employees as it is intended to be?

I ask because, my belief was that the feature was implemented so that employees and moderators could “promote” forum member post that showed an exceptionally positive attitude or benefit to the community, right?

However, what I’ve observed is mostly moderators “one-upping” each other, as I call it. It’s almost like a Good ol' boys club. A significant amount of the “one-upping” comes on publicly posted stickies of information that I’m certain was already known internally between the staff promoting each other. Other times the promotions come on normal post by moderators or employees.

Now, I’m not denying that every once in a while a non-moderator or employee will be promoted, as I have received one promotion myself, however I do believe that the majority of the promotions are done between moderators and employees.

Again I ask, is this the intention?

I admit, I don’t have access to the metrics to view the information on the usage of it, but I’m sure you guys do. I also admit that I haven’t been here for a while, but before my break and since the time I have come back, the observed trend has not changed.

This is something that has bothered me for a long time, which is amongst a couple reasons for my absence from the community, but only recently have I decided to speak up about it, thanks to this thread.

Am I completely off base here, am I right, or is this a scenario where if I don’t like it then I should just not be part of the community?
    The "Promote" flag makes the post show up in the "Best Of" page; we typically use it to draw attention to official information, or to posts that we want people to be aware of. It's somewhat similar to stickying a thread, except that it only shows up on the Best Of page instead of at the top of the forum's thread list.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    There's a "Best Of" page?

Who knew?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Throw me off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24
    elminster said:

Throw me off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

The "Promote" flag makes the post show up in the "Best Of" page; we typically use it to draw attention to official information, or to posts that we want people to be aware of. It's somewhat similar to stickying a thread, except that it only shows up on the Best Of page instead of at the top of the forum's thread list.

I'm just fighting the urge to promote this... It would seem too ironic I think. :)

But the fact is this question is frequently asked. Maybe a FAQ entry should be added for it...
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    700 resolved bugs. That sounds great, but how many of these bugs were introduced by the EE and the following patches? all the 700?
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Jarl said:

700 resolved bugs. That sounds great, but how many of these bugs were introduced by the EE and the following patches? all the 700?

Probably the accurate math is:
    700/4 platforms
    175/2 multiplayer + renderer
    87,5 bugfix each

Half a bug makes sure there is always room for improvement. :)
This discussion has been closed.