Skip to content

The Flagging Feature: Spam and Abuse

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2013 in Site Resources
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Shandyr 5 spam or 5 abuse flags send the message to the queue immediatly. If a moderator flags a post it goes straight to the queue. The moment it is sent to moderation the post is no longer visible.

The disagree action was active for a time around June last year but the potential for problems was too high so it was turned off again.

It's very complicated to remove the flags so the system is open to abuse. We had a a problem with this in the beggining of the year. The user normally is just warned but it may result in banishment if it's too serious.

I almost forgot to answer your question about the difference between spam and abuse :) If someone is posting the same thing to multiple threads, a BG quote for instance, and it clearly has no relation to the topic, it's spam. If someone is offensive it's abuse.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    mlnevese said:

If someone is posting the same thing to multiple threads, a BG quote for instance, and it clearly has no relation to the topic, it's spam.

@mlnevese Or to be more precise: "To end, Like this?"
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Disagree was an old button turned off in reason of many problems, spam became the new disagree atm (not true, just what some people that like to disagree does), until now i didn't saw any punishment for abuse of flag system.
    @kamuizin Warnings are not normally made public.
    Examples must be made!!!! (better i shut up before i become the first...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited September 2013
    @Shandyr, might want to edit the fourth word from the end on the second line in your last post.

(These eyes don't miss a beat)
    edited September 2013
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Er, thank you @Shandyr for volunteering me for that...

But yes, if you think a post has been flagged unjustly, send me or one of the other moderators a PM.

This is NOT a guarantee that the flag will be removed. We will look into the matter and decide whether the post warrants the flag. Please respect our decisions on this.
    I kinda of start to agree with @Shandyr more and more. I hade an issue on a previous discussion were people flagged me for an harsh reaction, the matter was discussed, @Dee entered on the discussion and put down the agressive feelings, then after 1 week of that discussion, someone passing there just resolved to flag again my post.

Not a person active on that discussion, a problem that was already solved, an guy with an extremly new account... but roll over this last issue will be presume too much. I feel an urge of abuse attack the guy for it's act, but then it goes over and i just realise that the issue is with the system itself.
  • Could we please add a disagree button (which will of course not have effect on the points as spam/abuse does)?
  • :sadface: would have been a good alternative for people abusing spam/abuse flag to mark their disagreement with something.
    people would abuse disagree button worse. Being not a punishment and being the right to individually evaluate if you like or not, disagree could be spammed by making a search in the opponent posts in the forum. I know this cos i had a problem in june with someone that made just that, researched my posts and droppend about 40 disagrees on me and i had to resort to the moderators of the forum to get a solution.
    The good news is that it is now much simpler for Moderation to remove the flags, so if you feel a post was wrongly flagged for spam/abuse, PM a moderator and the problem will be analyzed.

Of course if Moderation decides the flag was deserved, it stays.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I was actually just about to post an announcement about this. Yes, they've been disabled. If you see someone spamming your thread or being abusive, send a PM to me or one of the other moderators; not only is that a more reliable way to get our attention, but it's a less aggressive form of communication in the thread itself.

If your posts have been flagged in the past, those values will no longer show up on your account.
    edited September 2013
    I'm Clean!! I'm Clean!!!! No stigma hurt my soul anymore!! If i knew that, i would had flamed a lot more before this amnesty... just kidding :)!

Now activating ironic mode for special use to insightful when applicable :)!

Ps: most of my insightful are legit, just to let it clear.
    Hey! That's not fair!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Somebody 'abuse'-d me, but it vanished. I think Dee looks for unfair use of those. I did take the time to re-read what I wrote, just in case I needed to re-educate myself on appropriateness, but had a clear conscience afterward. I figure we can disagree without being evil to one another. Unless we are evil, in which case we play nicely so that we earn trust to then do evil later.

Im' would say: "...Mutton-mongering riff-raff..."
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on