Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Wanderon said:

As far as dual classing losing experience AFAIK if you don't dual class immediately after leveling any additional experience you gain (in between your last level up and when you actually dual class) will be lost and your old class is set back to the amount needed for your last level up. The same thing occurs if you have gained any experience above the amount needed to level before taking your level. I believe this has always been true.

I didn't mean you lose XP when you dual (that's a good thing), but that you lose from your total HP when you dual. At least, that's what happened to me.

I had a 6th level thief dualed into fighter. As a 6th level thief she had 48 HP, but after I dualed her, as a 1st level fighter she had only 20 HP. (And if I'm not misteken she will continue gaining HP per level, but less than a single class fighter would.) In the original game, dualed characters kept all their HP, and didn't gain any more per level until they regained their old class.

Again, it would be cool if someone could explain the current (beta) HD system used for both dual-classing and multiclassing.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    LiamEsler said:

@Vinstrastorm Buy from Beamdog and support future updates. :D

@LiamEsler
    Oh, I plan to. I bought it this spring from Beamdog. I'm trying to get as many argument for buying directly from Beamdog as possible to persuade friends and other people who are more inclined to use Steam. :-)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Adul said:

Wanderon said:

As far as dual classing losing experience AFAIK if you don't dual class immediately after leveling any additional experience you gain (in between your last level up and when you actually dual class) will be lost and your old class is set back to the amount needed for your last level up. The same thing occurs if you have gained any experience above the amount needed to level before taking your level. I believe this has always been true.

I didn't mean you lose XP when you dual (that's a good thing), but that you lose from your total HP when you dual. At least, that's what happened to me.

I had a 6th level thief dualed into fighter. As a 6th level thief she had 48 HP, but after I dualed her, as a 1st level fighter she had only 20 HP. (And if I'm not misteken she will continue gaining HP per level, but less than a single class fighter would.) In the original game, dualed characters kept all their HP, and didn't gain any more per level until they regained their old class.

Again, it would be cool if someone could explain the current (beta) HD system used for both dual-classing and multiclassing.
    I actually had something weird like this pre-patch. Basically, I dualed a level 7 Fighter to Thief. She ended up at 7/9 (no XP cap). Her HP was fine all throughout BG, but oddly when I decided to import her back into the game to check something her HP was drastically reduced to that of a basic level 9 Thief. Essentially, she lost all the Fighter HP.
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    Not to beat a dead horse, but back when BGEE was first being advertised, there was a bit of hubbub about an "Adventure Y" which would be an additional quest, integrated into the main Baldur's Gate plot (not just a side-show, like the Black Pits). Considering that both the giant BGEE patch and BG2EE itself are coming out soon, is Adventure Y still a possibility? I really don't mind if Adventure Y is dead and forgotten, but I'd like to know whether I should keep my hopes up or if should accept the reality of Adventure Y's untimely demise.
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2013
    Balquo said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but back when BGEE was first being advertised, there was a bit of hubbub about an "Adventure Y" which would be an additional quest, integrated into the main Baldur's Gate plot (not just a side-show, like the Black Pits). Considering that both the giant BGEE patch and BG2EE itself are coming out soon, is Adventure Y still a possibility? I really don't mind if Adventure Y is dead and forgotten, but I'd like to know whether I should keep my hopes up or if should accept the reality of Adventure Y's untimely demise.

It's not dead. However, BGII:EE will come first.

That's certainly a welcome surprise! Now I have three things to look forward to: BGEE's patch, BG2EE, and BGEE Adventure Y. Sounds like there's a lot of great stuff coming down the pipeline.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    @Vinstrastorm BG2EE is just €19* here in Europe. You buy it for $25 and €19* is taken from your bank account.

*can differ daily with exchange courses
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Hi, long time fan of the series, enjoying BG:EE and thrilled about BG2:EE too :)

I am wondering if wizards will still be as... limited, in ToB. Every boss has 90-100% resistance to everything except energy (but including magic itself), will make every saving throw, and even if not, is immune to instakill/crowd control effects. Let's not even mention the suicidal act of casting Stun Rest Of Party But Not Boss, I mean Time Stop :)

In ToB, I find myself using my wizards as BreachBots® mostly. If I want to deal damage, I need to Lower Resistance x3, and then hammer some Horrid Wilting, which is really AoE. I'd like it if I didn't have to spam LR and if I could use some Acid/Flame Arrow.

Oh, speaking of arrows, I seem to recall archers sucking in ToB too because arrow enchantments didn't go high enough to hurt some bosses, but maybe that was just the Quiver of Plenty.

I might as well spam out some more concerns. Some scripted events make the party walk up to a spot, converse... sometimes just watch conversation over the NPCs' heads. What bothers me is my buff timers are ticking down amidst this, which is annoying prior to a battle. Could events pause those timers?

AND AND AND I do hope trap cheese is gone. Make something fun of Set Snare rather than the ace up your sleeve you feel dirty for playing :)
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I don't think you'll find many people that want to improve the power of Mages. They are generally considered the strongest class around.
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    How about some questions unrelated to Baldur's Gate: What're your plans for the Beamdog Client? What sorts of games will you be adding in the future? How do you attract game publishers, or do they primarily come to you? What sorts of standards do you use when adding games?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Match451 said:

How about some questions unrelated to Baldur's Gate: What're your plans for the Beamdog Client? What sorts of games will you be adding in the future? How do you attract game publishers, or do they primarily come to you? What sorts of standards do you use when adding games?

I was under the impression that there was no longer anything in the world as we know it that is not related to Baldur's Gate...

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Wanderon said:

Match451 said:

I was under the impression that there was no longer anything in the world as we know it that is not related to Baldur's Gate...

Except maybe Trent's very vague statement about Beamdog's project after BG:EE2:
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I'm wondering if their next project might be a computer version of Murder in Baldur's Gate, as it follows directly from our beloved games (this isn't a spoiler, you find this out basically as soon as you open the box.)
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    pixie359 said:

I don't think you'll find many people that want to improve the power of Mages. They are generally considered the strongest class around.

In SoA I would agree. In ToB I find mages anything but strong, perhaps they make great tanks due to Protection from Magical Weapons and its condiments. But against a ToB boss they cast the Breach and then I line up GWWA on 3-4 melee and tear the poor villain apart. I'm pretty sure a thief with UAI and the right wand could do that job just fine.

I tried ToB with a sorcerer PC + Aerie + Imoen + Nalia and well, I do recall completing it but I also recall using a Planetar to do most the killing because using spells was too cumbersome (granted, that doesn't mean spells are weak) and often praying for dear life to get a rest-Wish.

I find wizards highly marginalized in ToB and if they perhaps don't suck quite that much if you make the effort to maximize their damage it takes too much pausing for me to enjoy it and well, I want to have fun :) I might enjoy microing a wizard if I was controlling only that wizard in a multiplayer party perhaps.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited October 2013
    @enqenq: Don't blame the game if you're not using mages to their full potential - the Improved Alacrity/Time Stop/Mindflayer Shapechange combo can kill most enemies in the game, including bosses like Yaga Shura.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    How do Familiars transfer to BG2:EE?

What happens if it is not in the backpack? What happens if it is in the backpack? What happens to hit point bonus in each case? Can I cast the Familiar spell again?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Bump =)

any chance of implementing in BG:EE/BG2:EE the spontaneous cure/harm/summon animal spells like in IWD2? i thought it was a really useful feature (even if it is a 3e thing) instead of having to fill up half my spell slots with those spells.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Bercon said:

How do Familiars transfer to BG2:EE?

What happens if it is not in the backpack? What happens if it is in the backpack? What happens to hit point bonus in each case? Can I cast the Familiar spell again?

Your familiar doesn't come with you on export, so in BGII:EE you won't have your familiar to start either.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Bump =)

any chance of implementing in BG:EE/BG2:EE the spontaneous cure/harm/summon animal spells like in IWD2? i thought it was a really useful feature (even if it is a 3e thing) instead of having to fill up half my spell slots with those spells.

It's highly doubtful; that's a major change to the way spellcasting works in the game, which we're not prepared to do.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    LiamEsler said:

Buy from Beamdog and support future updates. :D

@LiamEsler I prefer direct-from-the-devs over Steam anyway because they often demand the same price regardless of region (I hate $=€ value gouging, 1$ is not 1€)
  • DaveFilmsUSDaveFilmsUS Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to know if "Temple of Elemental Evil" is a possibility in the near future?
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

I'd like to know if "Temple of Elemental Evil" is a possibility in the near future?

Define "near future".

Full disclosure: I won't be able to give you an authoritative answer even after you do, but I'm curious.

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601

LiamEsler said:

Buy from Beamdog and support future updates. :D

@LiamEsler I prefer direct-from-the-devs over Steam anyway because they often demand the same price regardless of region (I hate $=€ value gouging, 1$ is not 1€)
    @AendaeronBluescale If you buy from beamdog directly you pay $25 and €19 is taken from your back account (I use Paypal) There is no place that states that BG2EE is €25! So don't use steam.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013

@AendaeronBluescale If you buy from beamdog directly you pay $25 and €19 is taken from your back account (I use Paypal) There is no place that states that BG2EE is €25! So don't use steam.

@artifical_sunligt orly? Steam is to avoid yes. And that is also what I exactly mean. Steam is oftentimes $=€ gouging which GOG, Beamdog, and many other stores that do only price in USD don't.
    http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/257350/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition

I think you misunderstood me. What I mean is that Steam gouges, not Beamdog.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    @AendaeronBluescale thats why you try to get your hands on Steam games from GreenmanGaming. They don't have all Steam games but quite a lot.
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    Is the next patch behind the corner? I wanted to play the shadowdancer, but if you gimp (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/369693) him than I might as well not and start something else right now.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited October 2013
    Steam is more kind to ex-Soviet territories.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Hey, what is the intended degree radius of Sun Soulray for the Sun Soul Monks? Originally I thought it was a single-target attack when the kit was originally introduced, but in the 1.2 beta it seems to be more of a cone, leading me to believe that the cone's area of influence was simply bugged like the Dragon Disciple Breath previously. But now, I'm getting a seriously wide range, friendly-firing my own party members who are off at a very obtuse angle. I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but a tooltip update to reflect just how wide it's supposed to be would be appreciated.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Madhax said:

Hey, what is the intended degree radius of Sun Soulray for the Sun Soul Monks? Originally I thought it was a single-target attack when the kit was originally introduced, but in the 1.2 beta it seems to be more of a cone, leading me to believe that the cone's area of influence was simply bugged like the Dragon Disciple Breath previously. But now, I'm getting a seriously wide range, friendly-firing my own party members who are off at a very obtuse angle. I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but a tooltip update to reflect just how wide it's supposed to be would be appreciated.

I think that is a bug from one of the newer updates. I've used it earlier in the beta and it was just a straight precision spell (no aoe) that dealt damage to one target. That is also what the description for the ability says (you can find this by right-clicking on it).

Edit: I have confirmed it is doing currently what you say it is doing. I will add it to the tracker.
This discussion has been closed.