Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    edited October 2013
    As I mentioned in another thread, I imagine there is going to be one hell of a cat fight since I currently plan on having Jaheira, Aerie, and Neera in the first party I take through BG2EE.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Is the Open Beta going to be version 1.1, so that 1.2 is reserved for the new stable version?
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited October 2013
    Hello,

In the french section of the forum, I've been told that next version will include properly french localized sounds (IE : Spoken lines) which is in line with what I've read from the 1.2 beta forum.... BUT that any new sound (IE : Rasaad, Dorn, the black pits...) will stay untranslated.

1 - Is that true ?
    2 - If it's true, will the remaining english spoken lines be properly translated, or will non-english players be forced to play with a bastardized version that is partly localized ?

I dearly hope this isn't true (or that it's at least a temporary measure...) because if we've been waiting a proper localization for a year for that, i would be HIGHLY disappointed.
    Post edited by Aranthys on
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Is there a any chance that BG2EE will contain redone HLA for monks (and druids)? I´ve always found it highly insufficient that monks are using fighter´s HLA (and druids cleric´s).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Aranthys said:

Hello,

In the french section of the forum, I've been told that next version will include properly french localized sounds (IE : Spoken lines) which is in line with what I've read from the 1.2 beta forum.... BUT that any new sound (IE : Rasaad, Dorn, the black pits...) will stay untranslated.

1 - Is that true ?
    2 - If it's true, will the remaining english spoken lines be properly translated, or will non-english players be forced to play with a bastardized version that is partly localized ?

I dearly hope this isn't true (or that it's at least a temporary measure...) because if we've been waiting a proper localization for a year for that, i would be HIGHLY disappointed.

I'm not sure where this information came from, but for the moment we have no plans to record new voices for French. So if we offer an option to use French voice-overs, it will only be for the original content. I believe we've been fairly transparent on that end, but if it's been miscommunicated somewhere along the lines, I apologize.

That's not to say it won't ever happen; it just means it's not in the plans at the moment.
    edited October 2013
    @Dee : Take care, because that could very well be a mistake.

Having both vanilla sounds in the local version (IE : French, Spanish, etc.), and ANY new content in english is pretty bad, because it makes any new content stand out too much. (And, unfortunately, in a wrong way)

I know that I will keep on playing with English sounds, because while I prefer to play with the french ones (Mostly due to nostalgy...), I just can't stand when part of the game stands out.

It makes me feel like I'm playing a modded game... and, well, I'm probably not the only one.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that anyone that's not a native english speaker and that buys either BG:EE (which has few voiced lines) or BG2:EE (with way, way, way more voiced lines) will be pretty disappointed about that mix.
    Aranthys said:

@Dee : Take care, because that could very well be a mistake.

Having both vanilla sounds in the local version (IE : French, Spanish, etc.), and ANY new content in english is pretty bad, because it makes any new content stand out too much. (And, unfortunately, in a wrong way)

I know that I will keep on playing with English sounds, because while I prefer to play with the french ones (Mostly due to nostalgy...), I just can't stand when part of the game stands out.

It makes me feel like I'm playing a modded game... and, well, I'm probably not the only one.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that anyone that's not a native english speaker and that buys either BG:EE (which has few voiced lines) or BG2:EE (with way, way, way more voiced lines) will be pretty disappointed about that mix.

Maybe I wasn't clear--if the original voice-overs are used, what will happen is that the new content will simply be unvoiced; not in English.

But it's difficult to comment on exactly what will happen there; right now, it's not working correctly in the beta that people are seeing, so that's an issue that needs to be fixed. When it comes time to implementing localized voice-overs we'll look more closely at how it's done.
    Alright ! Thanks Dee for the answers.
    I hope we'll get to see proper localized versions someday, because it's a big part of the game for me (And I guess also for quite a few other that used to play the game back in the day)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited October 2013
    Sed said:

Personally, I would never ever listen to localized sounds (in Swedish).
    Talk about ruining the game experience ^^

That's also my opinion and that's why i keep asking to delay the localization until they can offer something good and flexible : any choice of audio and choice of subtitles you want.
    That would be better than a poor, incomplete and forced localization (i mean by "forced" that if you don't accept your localized version in the beta, you are now forced to read english subtitles. Not a cool choice imho).
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I'm guessing you guys don't want to give out too much information, but are there plans to make some minor or major changes to the existing kits? Balance, New HLAs, New abilities, New Designs, etc

we're already in October so you might as well give out this info already!!
    ghostowl said:

I'm guessing you guys don't want to give out too much information, but are there plans to make some minor or major changes to the existing kits? Balance, New HLAs, New abilities, New Designs, etc

we're already in October so you might as well give out this info already!!

Nothing planned yet, no. We may look at things again after BGII:EE is released.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    @Dee

I see. Thanks for telling us. I'm disappointed but I guess something can always come around (like how 5 new kits popped up after BG:EE was released)
    One can always hope!
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Hey @Dee or @LiamEsler

Are PG-up/PG-down going to be reinstated to shift the chat-log size in the new patch, like in the original versions (PC at least)? I loved how much could be done with keyboard shortcuts in the original, and was sad to see this go.. and I don't think there's any particular reason why. They just don't do _anything_.
    @agris
    It's working now in the beta. :)
    @Dee Woohoo!!

I've been trolling the 1.2 beta forums, and looking at some screenshots. It appears that the same font is being used to represent stacked number of items in the inventory. Is that planned to change? Rather than enlarge the "weight carried" font, you could use the "amount of gold" font which is already larger, and avoid that ugly pixelation.
    No current plans to change it. The numbers aren't a font, though; they're a bam (that's why you can see a gradient in them). They're less "pixelated" than they are "blocky".
    Oh ok. Still, it seems the 'gold carried' font/BAM is already the right size. I guess you've already hacked the source to cycle bams based on number of items carried, and if the 'gold' font is actually a font, it would necessitate a re-write.
    edited October 2013
    @Dee : Regarding localization, something that I don't quite understand regarding your precedent answer :

It seems that, in the latest beta, the German version of the game is completely localized (including the new NPCs).
    Any reason for that ? Was that "sound localization" fan-made ?
    Or is it just french (and/or maybe other languages) that are considered not worth translating for whatever reason ? (Cost ? Amount of players ?)

Edit.: Source =

It's also worth noting that the beta patch boasts of brand new German voices for all NPC's in BG:EE. And they are top notch! ;)

taken from here :
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/366597/#Comment_366597
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Do you have any sale on BGII EE planned after release? It's cheaper to buy it on steam right now. And I don't agree paying $25,00.

If you can promise a sale 6 months after release, I can hold and don't buy it on steam.
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32

Do you have any sale on BGII EE planned after release? It's cheaper to buy it on steam right now.

BG2:EE is the same price on Steam as it is through Beamdog. Only the first game is on sale.
    ChinookUT said:

Do you have any sale on BGII EE planned after release? It's cheaper to buy it on steam right now.

BG2:EE is the same price on Steam as it is through Beamdog. Only the first game is on sale.
    No, it's not. I live on a foreign country, and the conversion rate makes Steam like $5 cheaper (or more)
    The Steam version of the game is completely controlled by Atari. We don't control their pricing.
    Dee said:

The Steam version of the game is completely controlled by Atari. We don't control their pricing.

But you control yours. I'm asking for a Beamdog sale in the future. Months AFTER the release. I can wait.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I've been playing the beta patch, and I think I've noticed that the way multiclass and dual class characters receive HP on levelup has changed. Characters also seem to lose a portion of their total HP when dual classing now. I'd like to understand how this new hit die system works, and I was wondering if you guys at OG could explain to us what changed and how.

Thanks!
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    About steam. Do you make any money from steam sales? Could a percentage-estimate be presented to us curious customers?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Adul said:

I've been playing the beta patch, and I think I've noticed that the way multiclass and dual class characters receive HP on levelup has changed. Characters also seem to lose a portion of their total HP when dual classing now. I'd like to understand how this new hit die system works, and I was wondering if you guys at OG could explain to us what changed and how.

Thanks!

As far as dual classing losing experience AFAIK if you don't dual class immediately after leveling any additional experience you gain (in between your last level up and when you actually dual class) will be lost and your old class is set back to the amount needed for your last level up. The same thing occurs if you have gained any experience above the amount needed to level before taking your level. I believe this has always been true.

This discussion has been closed.