Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    FF7 didn't have any lowerings than any other game in the genre.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    @SionIV

You're insulting Dark Alliance now, a perfectly fine game for the console.

its a brilliant game....except the human arcane archer...the class that CANNOT EXIST
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514

I rather liked FF12. What's with the hate and discontent for that game?

SionIV said:

It was just a horrible game.

10 -> 12 was like.. going from Baldur's Gate to Lionheart, the exception is that Lionheart is actually very good at the start of the game.

ok....firstly: @Night_Watch i will murder you with a spoon when you least expect spoon based murder.

that -thing- wasnt a final fatasy game, it was final fantasy 11 if you made it strictly multiplayer, and the license board...you have to work for PERMEATION to use a sword? or magic? how does wailing on a dog make me better at magic? its as bad as final fantasy 7.

and @SionIV its more like going from baldurs gate....to playing a human arcane archer in baldurs gate dark alliance
    I briefly dabbled with FF11. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of it (then again I never liked MMOs in general)

Aside from the license board (at times it certainly didn't make any sense, it was like forcing puzzle pieces to fit where they aren't supposed to go) I still liked it. Just like I liked FF7. And BG:DA. I haven't played them in a long time so my memory is kind of fuzzy on the details but I do remembering enjoying them. And that's what matters to me =)

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    1.) Final Fantasy 9 (Best story in any FF)
    2.) Final Fantasy 10 (Best gameplay in any FF)
    3.) Final Fantasy 8
    4.) Final fantasy 6
    5.) Final Fantasy 7

That is my rating of the more famous ones.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    Back on topic (Maybe it needs a new title. Fantasy armor of dubious usefulness?) IMHO, if you need a sword that big then the armor is not gonna cut it. he_Secret_of_Andorha_2d_fantasy_tiger_sword_castle_female_warrior_girl_woman_picture_image_digital_art-Raffaele Marinetti

Bleh, This didn't post properly and I can't seem to fix it, sorry.
    Post edited by Xanar on
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited October 2013
    The ladies from the Soul Calibur series =)
    I wouldn't consider any of them bad (though Ivy is a little redonkulous), just creative =p
    i typed hilarious female armor into google and got this

i feel sorry for her nipples....or whats left of them
    @Night_Watch Agreed. Chainmail burn on the nips is no laughing matter. Minsc thinks he gets a bad case of armor chafe.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Mrpenfold666 It's from College Humor and it's hilarious. She's making fun of the whole chainmail bikini thing.
    fair enough, i don't watch college humor but its still funny none the less
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Chainmail bikinis. Becuase full plates are for wussies.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    There are two types of fantasy...
    one type to provide an alternate world where fictional beings can become reality
    another type to provide an alternate world where one individual's instinctual desires are reflected.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

The ladies from the Soul Calibur series =)

I wouldn't consider any of them bad (though Ivy is a little redonkulous), just creative =p

I was always scared to play Ivy while growing up. One, because she was really hard to learn, and two, her outfit honestly frightened me. D:

Though Soulcalibur 5 does her a good justice. Sex appeal's still there, but she's actually wearing clothes.

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335

AC 10, AC -10 vs male attackers
    The only excuse might be that she's a kensai?

The necklace gives her -10 AC to cleavage and navel.image
    After the popularity of the small sword (i.e. rapier, sabre), armour was uncommon, and success in combat came reliance on skill with the sword, and speed. (re. picture) She'd be a lot faster without extra armour, extra A/C. The arms would take the shots, while the midsection would avoid them. The necklace would allow attachments for the things she needs, protecting her cleavage and navel.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @DancingBugbear That explains the lack of armor rather well. What it does not explain, however, not wearing heavy armor instantly means she has to dress like a stripper.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...well...the opponent will get -3THAC0 as "distraction penalty"
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @DancingBugbear I'm pretty sure Smallswords and Rapiers became popular mainly with civilians who went unarmored, and after many militaries ceased using armor due to firearms rendering it ineffective. They weren't ever really used as a main weapon against armored foes, and would have been ineffective against armor.

Derivatives of those swords were carried by officers during the Napoleonic era and through to WW1 but mostly as backup or parade weapons.
    Malicron said:

@DancingBugbear That explains the lack of armor rather well. What it does not explain, however, not wearing heavy armor instantly means she has to dress like a stripper.

She likes to dress like that. Light outfits are common for athletic activities, and that sort of dress was common in the late medieval ages.
    Corvino said:

Derivatives of those swords were carried by officers during the Napoleonic era and through to WW1 but mostly as backup or parade weapons.

That seems to be the case in this picture. She seems to have a large host of heavily armoured orcs for the brunt of the attack.
    Light detatchments, and navel crews commonly didn't have armour, and commonly someone not officially enlisted would carry only a sword. It was about piercing the other person and retreating before they could get a shot in at you back.

END OF STORY
    According to the taste of the supporters of this thread, everyone in the pictures in this post should were paper bags.

It doesn't seem like it will go beyond that.

• fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    With armor like that, I'm surprised they have to fight. Then again, perhaps it's more like they are fighting them off.

I like the one with the skeleton hands bra, that cracked me up!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    ajwz said:

Well, this is the sort of discussion I feel like the thread deserves

First off, like I said before, I'm not denying anyone's right to dislike a picture or an artist, for whatever reason they choose.
    I also certainly am very much aware of the pressure, both directly and indirectly that western society presents on women that attractiveness is their most important quality. The pressure is certainly there for men too, but to nowhere near the same degree.

My two main points are:
    1. Most of the art posted so far in this thread seems to come from peoples deviant art accounts, not from mainstream projects. Criticising their pictures is fine, we all have an opinion, but criticising their subject, or applying our own values to them, and saying, whether they are man or women, that what they have done is somehow offensive or negative, or what some people in this thread seem to be saying, that they *shouldn't be doing it* is wrong.

1. At least some of the artists on DeviantArt *are* professional artists- they work for companies like Wizards of the Coast and Blizzard- or other companies (like CCG makers). Please don't assume that just because someone has a DA account, it means they are strictly a fan artist. Some of the art in this thread comes from those same artists. Being a professional artist does not exempt your art from criticism- but I did mention at the start that the skill of the artist was not a reason to diss the art- it's the choices in outfit/ armor. The only one where I deviated from that was "Giraffe Neck Lady".
    Spotted some new ones tonight.

image by 88grzes Seppuku made simple- just bend at the waist! No muss, no fuss, and you're dead!
    image by exes9yui Another contender for the "Can I make my vulnerable points any clearer?" contest
    image by theblvdknight "Cleric armor?! Pfft! Who needs THAT?"
    image by johnliriano "I have Abs of Steel +6!"
    image by isissousa2 "No, my arrows never take off the skin on the inside of my arms..."
    image by uryenn "Because nothing says 'completely protected' like a single pauldron!"
    image by bakarov "Legs more protected than chest and abdomen? Check. Lacy bra cup bustier? Check. Completely ridiculous outfit? Check. Check. Check! And mate."
    image by shangoshango Completely useless armor plus "how does this stay on?" all in one enormous failboat.
    image by jorsch "My bra +4 protects my entire upper torso!"
    image by teli333 "Armor has weak spots. My bare skin does not!"
    edited October 2013
    That lion only has on helmet! No way it could take out an armoured steed (unless it was an ordinary situation). Armour is unflexible and constraining and heavy. Less armour makes more manoeuvrability. Some of these pictures don't seem to show anything trying to wear armour, or even be entered in combat.

Look at all those unprotected areas to puncture. Just imagine what a crushing instrument would do. The presenter of this picture must surely be unsensible.
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
    image by Raffaelemarinetti Two fails in one: leather bikini masquerading as armor and a pose you'd have to break your back to achieve.
    image by Natzetta This woman took a perfectly good set of armor and hacked all the protective aspects out of it. Seriously. WHY?!
    image by piofoks And this guy is going "Hit my chest- I dare you!"
    image by j-tuyor Wearing this armor as protection is a fail. Wearing it in a place filled with ice and snow is WORSE.
    image by jorgius Fishnet side armor? Now I have seen everything! And where the hell did her internal organs go? Lady is too tiny through the middle.
    image by YamaO The male version of "How does this stay on?!" Plus bonus romance novel hero ripped shirt open to waist armor.
    image by d8p Armor or body paint on her body? Only her squire knows for sure!
    image by WarNick High Collar plus pauldron= the best protection money can buy! Who cares about having your intestines fall out from a belly slash?!
    image by uttotor Boob window *and* unprotected abdomen!
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403

Light detatchments, and navel crews commonly didn't have armour, and commonly someone not officially enlisted would carry only a sword.

Bwahahaha, yeah, she's a member of the "navel" crew alright.

That lion only has on helmet! No way it could take out an armoured steed (unless it was an ordinary situation). Armour is unflexible and constraining and heavy. Less armour makes more manoeuvrability. Some of these pictures don't seem to show anything trying to wear armour, or even be entered in combat.

Look at all those unprotected areas to puncture. Just imagine what a crushing instrument would do. The presenter of this picture must surely be unsensible.

Actually, she was a vampire character, not a fantasy roleplaying character, so while I take the point, she was never intended to wear armor in combat. Rhiannon Sian Emyr is a healer from Wales, and from the dark ages (she was born in 1157) to boot.