Skip to content

Unrealistic Fantasy Art

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Good lord, it's like talking to a brick wall...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @LadyRhian, thank you for such an insightful answer to my mini-essay in response to what I see as the point of this thread. I don't think I've said it publicly yet, but your satirizing of these "naked, sexy females supposed to be melee warriors, puh-leeze" pictures, in good-natured humor, is a very good way to make a point about the serious issues that can be raised about this kind of art.

I think that your way of making this point is very subtle, and also very powerful, to those who have the intelligence and wisdom to gain insights through the art of satire. However, I have seen many, many posts here from people who lack enough subtlety to understand what you have been trying to do. I apologize to you for what must be a quite frustrating experience for you to have to keep at it, to make the point you are trying to make.

I admire you and appreciate your forum heroics, and I see that you believe passionately in getting this point out there to fantasy art lovers. You go, girlfriend! You are definitely a "Wonder Woman" to me. People like you make this world a better world to live in. :)

Your friend,
    Bel
    XanarCorvinoalnair
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    That was quite creepy...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    BTW, @LadyRhian, I think that Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones is the most realistic warrior woman I have ever seen in high fantasy.

If I could, in any reality over all of time and space, fall in love with a woman, it would be her.

There is even some arguable indication that Jamie Lannister falls in love with her. Jamie only finally loves his sister, and he arguably uses his masculine charms on Brienne only to try to manipulate her, but, I think it would be hard to argue that the Casanovaesque Jamie loves only very, very strong women.

imageimage

Here's how a REAL sorceress dresses:

imageimage

Here's a REAL rogue or fighter:

You want GOOD female fantasy art? Look no farther than Game of Thrones for your inspiration!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Belgarathmth Thank you for your kind words, as Branwen would say. ;) Even in my own art thread, I have used some of those same pics for kickass CHARNAME or NPC pics. But I give the picture a pass if 1) Character is a barbarian (because the trope is that Barbarians dressed in fur loincloths or similar), character is a mage (because mages have spells to defend themselves with) or the character is wearing some sort of bracers/bracelets/gloves (Because Bracers of AC(x)). Also, ranged combat characters can wear less without it impinging on my "Ridiculous!" sensors, because they are not toe to toe in melee, generally. But butt floss, boob windows, half-naked and outfits that make me go "how does that stay up/on in the presence of gravity?" are ripe for the snarking to me. I prefer even my mages to be at least dressed in a robe, not bondage gear and not with half their flesh hanging out/exposed. So, yes, you can find pictures I have snarked on here in my thread- I know some people will prefer those. But I don't take characters who are sexualized solely for the purpose of making the viewer think "Oh, that is HOT!" There is only so much I can take/accept before I go "That picture is ridiculous. No."

@DancingBugbear Most of the characters you mention (Monk, Kensai) come from Oriental areas which traditionally didn't have much iron armor anyhow (Japan, especially, has iron, but it tends to be either brittle or low purity, which is why they have iron helmets and face mask, but their armor is lamellar- generally tiny leather or iron scales linked together by cotton or silk cords- and this was the armor of the nobility. Before O-yoroi, the armor tended to be leather covered with lacquer to weatherproof it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_armour).

Bards, on the other hand, are a thief class, and thus don't tend to wear much armor anyhow. The class itself is based on the Skald, and they were generally not also on the front line. And Blades can wear Chain Mail- just not while casting spells. Monks can't wear armor, but can wear Bracers of AC(x). Got anything else?
    BelgarathMTHThacoBell
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    Perhaps this post could be closed, and a link to an "Art Haters' Insights" blog be made.
    GodKaiserHell
    @DancingBugbear Given I am a mod, if you think so, ask another mod. I always said I will not intervene in one of my own threads- that's an abuse of power. Simple disagreement is no reason to close a thread, however. No name-calling has gone on- no one has resorted to insults or threats (or veiled threats). Simply because you do not agree with this thread is not a good reason to close it. However, I will call on @Cuv and @Dee if you want their opinion as well.
    BelgarathMTH
    edited October 2013
    @LadyRhian There has been a deal of defamation of artists. And denunciations of certain modes of dress.
    @DancingBugbear Really? Where, exactly? Posting pictures of theirs with snarky comments isn't "defaming" anyone. I think you need to learn the meaning of defamation. I am not saying anything about the character of those artists or harming their reputation. How does it defame someone to say, "This particular picture has armor that looks ridiculous"?
    BelgarathMTHAristillius
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Je** Ch*&# @DancingBugbear - go to another topic and leave this one alone. The opinion is that some depictions of fantasy women are ridiculous. If you don't share that opinion, fine - you're disagreement is no more valid (or less) than the prevailing one by the OP of THIS thread. I can denounce any style of clothing I wish - my opinion doesn't change what somebody wears/writes/depicts one iota, but I refuse to adhere to any philosophy that says that I cannot have an opinion that somebody else dislikes or disagrees with. Otherwise, we have a neutered populace that stands for 'everything' (the same as standing for nothing).
    MalicronBelgarathMTHAristillius
    @DancingBugbear The only activity I've seen that would warrant a warning, none the less closing an entire thread, has been from you. You've been specifically targeting LadyRhian from post one. I'm actually surprised a mod hasn't told you off already.
    XanarThacoBell
    @Reedmilfam I get that you're peeved- and thank you for your words on my behalf, but please, no veiled cursing. Really. Okay?
    edited October 2013
    LadyRhian said:

@DancingBugbear Really? Where, exactly? Posting pictures of theirs with snarky comments isn't "defaming" anyone. I think you need to learn the meaning of defamation. I am not saying anything about the character of those artists or harming their reputation. How does it defame someone to say, "This particular picture has armor that looks ridiculous"?

You belittle their productions. @reedmilfam Your disparaging remarks can be saved for elsewhere, where you can jeer at anything, without regard to consideration. You can post meritorious qualities of depictions of the subject here.
    @DancingBugbear That's not defamation- Defamation is lying about someone to harm their reputation. I am giving my honest opinion here- The armor/outfit in those pictures is ridiculous to me. Other people may like that picture. I simply disagree. Again, not defamation. And not everyone likes every piece of art- and saying "I don't like that picture and here are the reasons why..." is not defamation. Artists and those in artistic fields (like writing- and I happen to be a writer myself) know our artworks (pictorial or otherwise) aren't going to appeal to everyone. Some people will like X piece of art, some won't. Saying "I don't like this particular story/artwork/song/play/movie and here is why..." is never defamation. It's criticism. Is now every critic who doesn't like a particular song or whatever defaming the artist or creator whose work he or she didn't like or agree with? Because this is what you are implying. Criticism is not defamation, and you really need to learn the difference.
    BelgarathMTHThacoBell
    Ugh. More fairly ridiculous outfits.
    image by AniaMitura Bikini top made of ribbon strips is a fail for combat.
    image by vasylina I am literally speechless here.
    image i LOVE spikes!
    image by agnidevi Um... Eesh! Too many snakes and not enough flesh coverage here for me. It's the Egyptian "three straps and done" gal.
    @LadyRhian Terse ridicule of the portrait doesn't thoroughly describe the attributes of the design.
    @DancingBugbear Who said it has to? Snarky critique is still critique.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @DancingBugBear
    Your posts in this thread thus far are off-topic at best, and trolling at worst. I encourage you to look at the various other areas of the forums if you're unable to control your behavior in this one.
    Malicron
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Dee Thank you for your swift judgement. Now, back to business as usual!
    @Dee Dissent with the remarks isn't unrelated to the entries. Less said on these posts, the more the better.
    @DancingBugbear Because you are trying to make this about me (your comment about "Art Haters" is quite telling in that regard) rather than the art and the opinion I am expressing about the art. If my opinion gives you such agita/displeasure, there is nothing keeping you from not reading this thread. It's your choice to keep coming back here. You may not feel you have a choice to disagree with my views, but it is your choice in how to respond and to keep coming back to and reading this thread that apparently gives you such displeasure.
    edited October 2013
    @LadyRhian Citation received.
    @typo_tilly Kitties, hmm? Try this one on for size:
    image by Esmira Not bad at all
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTH
    @DancingBugbear One of the pictures in this thread is yours, isn't it? That's why you're so pissed off.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I found DancingBugbear's contributions not useful in this discussion at all. In discussions, people should make their point and then the discussion will go whither it will. It will move on, people will agree, disagree, not care, or whatever. If you can civilly continue in the conversation train then do so. If you are upset and can't then consider this one of those times where you failed to change someones mind on a subject and realize you can't force people to share your opinions.
    Another one that just made me go "Urgh."

image by DavidRapozaArt Where should I start? Not enough coverage in needed areas, anomalous spiky bits for no reason... This looks uncomfortable to wear and even worse to try and move in.
    image by xite91 What is it with woman and clothing with spikes that will dig into them whenever they move? That is damn uncomfortable and distraction can interrupt spellcasting and make the spell fizzle!
    image I am almost afraid to ask what that string/chain across her chest is supposed to be connecting, because it suggest something, well, lewd.
    image by Syreene Remember, people! Only YOU can prevent hentai associations! I also wonder how her braid is holding the potion bottle... and the other braid a knife...
    image by crisdelara04 This one gives me flashbacks to the "...Aliens!" meme guy. Except this one would be "...Bhaalspawn!" Aside from that, the art isn't bad.
    image by Syreene Weirdest Hair Extensions EVER.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    LadyRhian said:

Another one that just made me go "Urgh."

image by DavidRapozaArt

NANAnananananana
    NANAnananananana
    BATBUTT!
    MortiannaMrpenfold666BelgarathMTHAristillius
    @AndrewFoley I think Bruce Wayne stocks that, too!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    LadyRhian said:

by Esmira Not bad at all

Beautiful! :D

In fact, I've found most of the pictures you've posted here to be artistically beautiful, so thank you for sharing them with us. And for giving us a few laughs with your snarkiness, because as lovely as some of these pictures are, I know I definitely wouldn't want to run into battle baring my lady-parts for all to see. I commend you, @LadyRhian, for bringing these pieces to our attention and not pulling any punches.
    MalicronreedmilfamBelgarathMTH