Skip to content

Phase III

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
Congratulations! Phase II is now complete.

Phase III

In Phase III, don't worry about trying to break things; just play through the game like you would normally.

We know that there are still some issues, and we're committed to resolving them in time. That said, we want to get this patch out so that the people with certain hardware will finally be able to play.

Therefore, we'll have a poll. The more positive feedback we get, the more people we'll bring into the beta to try it out.

If you don't think this patch is ready for more testers, tell us why.

If you haven't already tried the beta, PLEASE do not vote. You're on the honor system. Boo is watching you closely.

Update: How to Get Involved

If you'd like to be considered for the next round of provisions, send me an email ( dpennyway@beamdog.com ) with a subject line of "BETA ACCESS" (all caps) and text as follows:
Please add me to the list for Phase III testing. My beamdog email address is:

I have purchased the game directly through Beamdog for [Windows or Mac].
If you do not give me your Beamdog email address, or if you have not purchased the game through the Beamdog website, you will not get access to the beta.

I can't guarantee that everyone who emails me will be added immediately, but if you're interested in getting involved, that's the information I need to put you on the list.
  1. Phase III270 votes
    1. Yes, the patch is awesome! Close the beta and release the patch!
      45.56%
    2. The patch is good, but it needs more testing. Bring more people into the beta!
      52.59%
    3. No, don't add more people to the beta yet; fix this issue first. (Please specify)
        1.85%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    As someone who was able to play this wonderful game from the first day of release I want everyone who has been waiting to play to get to enjoy it as much as I have.

Are there still bugs in the Beta? Yes, but to my untrained eye nothing I've seen in the Beta forum or experienced personally should keep this Patch from being released.

Sorry for the bad grammar :-)
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    the flaws can only be minor(if any). just release it, you will still get feedback. and even more with more people
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    arghm posted in wrong thread. Sorry!
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    For those who feel it needs more testing, can you be specific about what is holding the patch back from being ready, in your opinion? :) Specific bugs, etc would be great!
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited October 2013
    @Xanar I didn't know Kensai weren't allowed to wear clothes.

I think the patch is ready. There are still a few bugs (berserk comes to mind) to fix and there are always things that can be polished (interface?), but I think those bugs can be pushed to the next patch. This one is big enough already and releasing it sooner rather than later could help sales on BG2.
  • KirinaldoKirinaldo Member Posts: 6
    Sorry Boo, I shouldn't... but I vote... I couldn't help it. (seriously I vote before reading the last phrase, please don't count my vote...)
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    @Alkalurops a lil boo boo on my part. Posted into the wrong thread while browsing in two tabs. It's now over here where it belongs. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21721/bad-fantasy-art#latest

@Dee please delete at your convenience, sorry.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    @Malicron

As of right now 56% picked my choice. 42% said release the patch. 1% (two people) picked the last option.

132 people have voted.

Edit: Updated.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2013
    Since there are only a few minor issues remaining (melicamp/brage journal entries come to mind) I'd say release the patch and afterwards continue polishing the game like you've been before and during the beta. The updated GUI deserves more player admiration!
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Many thanks @elminster. From the sound of it, it's the right choice, but I'll be damned if I don't want the patch now. :P
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    How do we get involved in Phase III? Where's the download?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Jalily said:

How do we get involved in Phase III? Where's the download?

To get involved in Phase III, install the Beamdog client if you haven't already and sign into it. If you've purchased BG:EE through Beamdog, you should see the open beta download under My Games.
    I have purchased through Beamdog, but there is no open beta download under My Games in the client.

Or Do I need to request it? Or its not open-open yet and only certain people can check it out right now?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Disregard that; it's for Phase IV.
    My understanding was that Phase III would be open. I see BGEE under My Games, but nothing labeled "beta."
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Schneidend The beta goes open at the end of Phase III, per the original thread. :)
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    The patch is good, but it needs more testing. Bring more people into the beta!

I know that it would be ok to release it very soon, but more there are people more will it be closer to perfection... I mean, I know I take a path when testing... And, to my knowledge, it's about always the same... I test the things I think are important... But I know, that those things aren't what everyone else finds important... So, they test other things... And more things are tested, more bugs and glitches alike will be fixed!
  • wednesdaywednesday Member Posts: 61
    I think the patch is wonderful. every bug I've noticed has already been fixed (though i really loved the green water one, that was awesome) and I wanna see it get released. On the other hand I don't like seeing people disappointed when they hit bugs so in my opinion I'd make it an open beta for the next couple weeks in case there's anything been missed. You guys know best though, obviously.
    Siiiiiiigh...
  • greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    I didn't bother to apply for the beta in the previous phases since my set-up's pretty similar to Dee's. I don't mind delaying the patch for a little bit more, but I don't have many activities planned this coming weekend...

Maybe leave the purely visual glitches alone for now, focus on fixing the others and then release the patch? Although I guess in the end my preference all depends on how many players are going to be let in on phase 3 of the beta.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    Incorrectly handling of quests in the Journal and buggy kits have been two of the most prominent complain about BG:EE since release (besides hardware problem). We have issues belonging to those categories in the current patch, so I'd say, let's test more before triggering the ire of the crowd!
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    oh shit. I voted..didn't read the bolded sentence. Discount my vote please :)
    I just wanted a more complete patch and wouldn't mind waiting
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I also think the handling of quests in the Journal needs a bit more work before the patch is released.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2013
    From a hardware point of view I personally have experienced no issues. From what I've seen posted from the other people taking part in the beta, most if not all hardware issues have been successfully resolved. However, small quest, journal and item bugs have cropped up here and there and I think a bit more testing before releasing the patch wouldn't be amiss.

After each patch, no matter how much content was added, people complained about the continued existence of bugs. If only to lower the amount of 'rage' threads [but really because I know you guys take pride in the work and want to give the best quality with the resources - human and otherwise - you have available at each point in time :) ] you should delay til you iron out some of the bigger outstanding issues.

If the process can be sped up by bringing more people into the beta then my vote's cast there.
This discussion has been closed.