Skip to content

Phase III: Quest Testing (721 / 721)

Comments

• MauritiusMauritius Member Posts: 3

From these tests, I have discerned that BG appears to run on an engine powered by some version of chaos theory.

I think a future DLC or patch should included a mysterious butterfly that, when interacted with, spawns a random high-powered enemy (like a dragon) on a completely random map somewhere else in the game.

It might be a wild magic in action.
  • ItomonItomon Member Posts: 187
    (bug during beta)
    - party rep was 4
    - clearing south beregost area (the one with submerged house), got a random encounter with flaming fist mercenaries (4 fighters)
    - after killing one of them, decided to run because a ghoul and a group of hobgoblins also came (randomly i believe)
    - cornered up, i changed map, going to beregost to survive.
    - soon after, i travelled back to that map and went to fight the mercenaries, but the 2 i met just stood there - even when i hit them with sling, they didn't fight back. Their circles were still red, tho.

the hobgoblins attacked me on sight as usual.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    I'm finding that if I use "Sleep" on Deke and his men (north of Beregost/in the crossroads area) it screws up his dialogue.

If say you cast sleep on them you will find that once you kill off all his men Deke's circle will change from red to light blue (indicating neutrality). However, if he is under the effect of sleep once he wakes up he will be hostile again.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    Another thing i noted, i couldnt pickpocket Zeke's "Flesh to Stone" Scroll to help Brawnen at the Nhaskel Carnival. I'm quite sure I could do that in vanilla BG. (now it says the target doesn't hav any item avaliable to steal)
    edited October 2013
    Itomon said:

Another thing i noted, i couldnt pickpocket Zeke's "Flesh to Stone" Scroll to help Brawnen at the Nhaskel Carnival. I'm quite sure I could do that in vanilla BG. (now it says the target doesn't hav any item avaliable to steal)

What was your pick pocket? You'll need 50 now to do it.

Edit: Corrected.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Itomon
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    elminster said:

Itomon said:

What was your pick pocket? You'll need 40 now to do it.
    Shouldnt in case of pickpocket failure display a similar message instead of "target has no items" ?

elminster said:

Itomon said:

What was your pick pocket? You'll need 40 now to do it.
    Shouldnt in case of pickpocket failure display a similar message instead of "target has no items" ?
    It would say something around the lines of "target has no items that can be stolen by a cutpurse of your skill"
    dreamtraveler
    edited October 2013
    Wearing armor applies penalty to it? Because I had exactly 40 in pickpocketing. :(

I tried it many times, some times i literally failed (message was "pick pocket failed") and others I got the message saying i wasn't skilled enough to pick it.

EDIT: Well the other bug relating Flaming Fists Mercenaries not attacking seems more concerning than this one, anyways.
    edited October 2013
    Yea woops sorry. Anyways it does work. As a standard rule I'd say have at least 50 if you are trying to use someone for pickpocketing items. I don't think a lot of items in game that you can pickpocket are actually in peoples "general inventory".
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    On the werewolf island Dradeel has a book called "The Recipes and Ruminations of One Dradeel of Tethyr", as can be seen in the below screenshot the name doesn't really fit the tooltip very well:

• wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    the same thing i noticed in polish translation, some name of the creatures or characters are just too long and doesn't fit
  • raerae Member Posts: 35
    During "The bogeyman" quest in NW BG, after killing the bogeyman, Laerta and Louise don't give the reward, only Voltine does. They keep repeating "Do you believe us?", so the quest remains unfinished
    (What a bug, man).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited October 2013
    When you completed the quest, did you turn it in to Voltine, Laerta, or Louise?

Did you kill Gervisse or Voltine?
  • I ran into that same problem; I would talk to one of the twins, talk to Gervisse, talk to Voltine, then kill Gervisse. Talking to Voltine would yield her reward, but following that neither of the twins would finish the quest.

However, I had difficulty reproducing the bug, as after a couple of reloads it started working and I'm not sure why.
    Are you certain you talked to the right twin? Only Laerta completes the quest.
    elminster
  • What would happen is immediately after talking to one of the twins, the one on the right (Laerta?) would start wandering as Gervisse appeared. After going through the tasks, I would talk to the wanderer and see the "Do you believe us about the bogeyman?" message. I would then talk to the other twin and get the same message.
    The wanderer is Louise; Laerta remains in the room.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    I very much look forward to playing the patched version. Thank you so much to the Overhaul staff, testers and everyone else contributing to make this happen! Your hard work is not going unnoticed!
    NecdilzorAntonAldericWilbur
  • Okay, I found a saved game where I hadn't completed it yet and tried to reproduce the bug with no luck. But I did confirm that Laerta, the twin standing on the right and who completed the quest, was the one who wandered every time.
    Are the remaining places that need testing largely in Baldur's Gate (the city) and TOTSC areas?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited October 2013
    Choosing options 2 > 1 when talking to Delthyr causes the conversation to just end with no reply from Delthyr, and after Delthyr just stays there standing. I've gone through this convo many ways, and seemingly every other way the Harper agent Delthyr leaves after the conversation is done.

Expected behaviour Delthyr leaves after 2 > 1, and maybe even gives some reply before doing it.

Edit: Also if you are nice to him, and he gives you information he tells you that Shadow Thieves are behind Eltan's poisoning. However you have to choose the option "Who are the Shadow Thieves" option twice before it disappears, even though the reply is exactly the same both times. All the other conversation options disappear after the first time you choose them.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Dee I'm just now noticing this, but did one of the recent updates to the beta change where the party enters certain areas?

For instance, if I enter Beregost from the east the party enters just south of Thunderhammer Smithy (instead of by Mirianne's House). And if I enter the Ankheg area from the south the party shows up way west of where they used, on the spot where the road meets the southern border of the area.

I really like! :)
    JuliusBorisovGriegItomon
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    edited October 2013
    sabacs90 said:

Little offtopic, I have question. Is it possible in BG to be killed by someone who uses only bare fist(not including monk), because I encountered situation when Priest of Oghma did 15 damage to me (I had 14 hp) and I was still alive even if he did more damage than I had hp. I attached two screen shots. Sorry if I put this post in wrong topic.

Only monks can kill someone in unarmed combat. This is not a bug.

• VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    elminster said:

Are the remaining places that need testing largely in Baldur's Gate (the city) and TOTSC areas?

I wondered this to. @Dee could there be a hint (or list) of areas/quests that are in need of testing?
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    It would seem logical that there has been less testing in the latter parts of the game.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    So one would guess Baldur's Gate, and the TotSC areas.
This discussion has been closed.