Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
edited November 2019 in General Modding
This is an app for easy, double-click launching of WeiDu on MacOS. It should make mod installation even easier on Macs than it is on Windows.

https://github.com/subtledoctor/MacOS_Weidu_Launcher/releases

HOW TO USE THIS - FOR PLAYERS:
First, follow steps 1 and 3 here (you can skip step 2!):

Then, for step 4, just drop this app into your game folder along with your mods, and double-click it. Choose which mod to install from the list. It will open up the Terminal and start the WeiDU installer for that mod. Just follow the prompts.

After the first mod is done and you have "typed enter to exit" in Terminal, just run this app again and you can install a second mod. Just use this app every time, for each mod you want to install - simple!

PLEASE NOTE: This app does NOT display your mods in any kind of order; do NOT just install them from top to bottom in the dialog box. Mod install order matters greatly with BG. It's not like Oblivion/whatever game where you can just check a box to 'enable' a mod. It's more like *layering* mods on top of each other. Think of a pizza: if you layer the ingredients out of order (cheese on the bottom?) it just doesn't work.

So, I highly recommend planning ahead. Get all the mods you want to use, read up about them and about BG mod install orders. Maybe find the latest "BiG World Guide" .pdf that has installation notes for getting literally hundreds of mods to work together. Then write out the list, in order, so you can keep track as you go. That is kind of anal, but it is worth it in the end, because most people end up going through this process more than once (because they reinstall mods that are updated, or because they get the bug and end up finding more and more mods they want to try).

NOTE FOR MODDERS::
This app can take the place of the dedicated "setup-X.command" scripts found in (e.g.) some of G3's Mac-packaged mods. One of my goals is to make *your* life easier, by simplifying mod packaging. All the player needs is a single copy of this app, a single generic copy of Weidu, and your .tp2 and mod folder. You don't need to do anything specific to the Mac OS, unless your mod uses some special tool like OggDec (and my understanding is that even those audio-handling tools are now cross-platform). With most mods out there, you can really just make a single package for your mod download, rather than one for each OS.

Feel free to include this app in your mod package instead of a .command installer script. It's open-source, I don't mind it being re-distributed, altered, improved, whatever. As long as you don't claim you invented it, it's all good.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
LiamEslerHaenirresin007ArchaicErglansounetEudaemoniumScooterKetkallzrevaarMoomintrollNecdilzorKirinaldoAstroBryGuyCrevsDaakPrincess_SarahJairyannaelminsterNifftAxie

Comments

• KetkallzKetkallz Member Posts: 19
    Excellent! Thank you so much for this neat piece of software. This makes installing mods on my Mac really easy. I use OS 10.6.8 on a 27 inch iMac btw. All I had to do to get your installer to work was changing the permissions on my 'resources' folder from "read only" to "read and write".

Keep up the good work.
    Shouldn't this post be stickied in the MacOS X forum?!?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hi subtledoctor. The version I run is the one from the App Store. Either that' s what' s causing the permissions-problem or the version of the Mac OS I use. I see you run OS 10.8, my Mac runs on 10.6.

Is there any way I could ask a board admin to move your post and sticky it to the Mac forum? Would be a shame if your script go unnoticed in the mass of posts on this forum.
  • PetreclesPetrecles Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Can't get it to work. I get "List is Empty"

Trying to install the auto roller http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bgee-autoroller-v2/p1

and the Portraits pack http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15927/super-ultimate-portrait-pack/p1
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2013
    Moved to OSX section, stickied and added to the mods and tools list :)
    Ketkallzjackjack
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ketkallz
  • PetreclesPetrecles Member Posts: 21
    Ahh OK thank you. Got a few mods intalled. How I wish for an auto roller or at least something that would save your high score as you roll. I've missed a few high rolls…

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    I'm trying to install some mods using your tool, and all I get is a popup saying "Can't get window 1 of application "Terminal"."

Halp?
    revaar
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Hey! That worked! Thanks @subtledoctor!
  • nikkoavnikkoav Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much ..... for someone who is OSX clueless this is a Godsend!!!!
  • sithlord344sithlord344 Member Posts: 6
    Tried to use this with the Neera expansion mod, but there will be times when all that will come up is missing script and an occasional game crash. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
  • sithlord344sithlord344 Member Posts: 6
    Here are some examples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    This was working great for me, but out of nowhere now I get an error in terminal: "-bash: ./setup-IndiNPC: Bad CPU type in executable" and I can no longer install any mods.
    @shylaman Some mod has overwritten Weidu with an old PowerPC version. Try downloading the current Intel version
  • CorpusDelictiCorpusDelicti Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    Does this work for BG2 Resource folder, too? I am running the GOG/Wineskin version of BG2/ToB. I guess with how it is set up, this won't work in the BG2 Resource folder, as it kept asking for chitin.key and such.

So, I moved this program to the drive_c/Program Files/Baldurs Gate II/ folder since that is where those files are at.

Well, I tried running the Blackguard mod using the program and following your instructions, and when it asked me to install the component, I hit "i" for install.

Then I got an error, stating "error loading [Blackguard/CLABPA06.d2a]"

I mean, I'm just fucking around with the program in different places, in BG2 for that matter. Just wondering if you have encountered something like this in your experience.
    Post edited by CorpusDelicti on
  • CyricSpawnCyricSpawn Member Posts: 74
    OK I'm new to this modding business but I've followed the steps as best I can but still keep getting this error message at the last moment

any help would be awesome

btw its the same message for each of the 3 mods im trying to install

also any good suggestions for essential mods?

@CyricSpawn You habe to create an Override folder if it does not exist already.
    The overide folder exists already but is empty
    @CyricSpawn And you have full administrator rights?
    yup had to change a load of folders to read and write
    but did that and still cant get it to work :(
    ok stupid me, Overide was still read onl: now I have a new error )although a weapons and armour pack both did install now)

• sturmvogel66sturmvogel66 Member Posts: 35
    I'm having a permissions problem although the contents, resources and override folders are already read & write.

cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00774/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    ./setup-amaureasbg1portraits
    Jason-Longs-Computer-3:~ jasonlong$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00774/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    Jason-Longs-Computer-3:Resources jasonlong$ ./setup-amaureasbg1portraits
    -bash: ./setup-amaureasbg1portraits: Permission denied
    Jason-Longs-Computer-3:Resources jasonlong$

Any ideas what/where permissions I need to fix?
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    I too am having a permissions problem with the BG2Tweaks mod.

Last login: Fri Nov 1 18:00:55 on ttys000
    LANs-MacBook-Air:~ admin$ cd '/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur'\''s Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    LANs-MacBook-Air:Resources admin$ ./setup-bg2_tweaks
    -bash: ./setup-bg2_tweaks: Permission denied
    LANs-MacBook-Air:Resources admin$

Would appreciate help with this especially since I am very new to Mac OS.

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Do the "setup-BLAHBLAH" files have execute permission?

Try this "chmod u+x setup-[BLAHBLAH]"
    onan
  • sturmvogel66sturmvogel66 Member Posts: 35
    Now I'm getting an illegal instruction. Do the square brackets matter? I typed in "chmod u+x setup-amaureasbg1portraits"